Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Miramfan
Michael Andersen

Re: Italy Trip Updates #Rhody2Rome

Unread post by Miramfan »

ATPTourFan wrote:Hare will no doubt be more productive against certain types of teams. I'd love to know how many of his field goals were dunks!
I was not able to make the games but I did speak with someone that did. They said that during warm-ups Jordan was making a lot of his short jump shots. They also said that he hit a 15 footer during the last game. I was also informed that he is showing a lot of energy, being more vocal and is working really hard.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

That was what I noticed during the open practice.
Last year, he never shot the ball. He flung it, with no
form and his shoulders never squared up to the basket.
In the practice, he was squared up and displayed a very nice shooting touch, and
form.
The ability to shoot, will make him someone that the defense needs watch,
instead of playing 5 on 4 like last year.
Shows that he really worked on it.
The more he improves, the better it is for the team.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Trip over. Team landed in Atlanta 15 minutes ago.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What airport in Italy did they depart?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Obadiah wrote:What airport in Italy did they depart?
If their last stop was in Lake Como, they probably used the airport in Milan. My wife and I are going to Italy in October, and that's what we're using after staying in Lake Como.
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another benchmark report, Clemson, though pressed in first half, routed the Italy Dream Team in a game played near Florence, 103-58.

Also of note, Clemson has two buses for their sightseeing tours, one bus with the players, coaches and their families and another bus full of supporters. This is Clemson's first foreign trip since a visit to Brazil in 1981.

St. Joseph's plays their first game in Rome tomorrow. This is the Hawks second trip to Italy, the last one took place in 1999.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now, how good is Clemson projected?
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I have no idea about their prospects for the coming season. Last year they ended up with the poorest RPI in the ACC and vied for last place with Virginia Tech.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Clemson may be a sleeper ??
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Any highlights for the final game?
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

The moves from Hare!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I thought given the reputation of Varese in the Italian professional league that this third game would provide the stiffest competition of tour. I could not have been more wrong and looking at the this video, however brief, shows the Italian team to be quite inferior.

No question with Dan that the real value of this 10 day tour was the bonding of the players as a team and the relationships with the coaching staff.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So who is that new guy we have playing center and why is he wearing Hare's number...
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hare clearly had a height advantage, but he still showed a nice new shooting touch. That'll make him very dangerous.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I know Jordans defender isn't the biggest guy but the moves Hare used are beautiful. Looks like a true big man. Looks like EC is going to produce right from the start of the season. Everyone looks aggressive attacking the rim and the boards like Biruta. Great stuff.

Side note. When can preseason practicing start? and will there be open practices?
GO RAMS
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Rhody74 wrote:Hare clearly had a height advantage, but he still showed a nice new shooting touch. That'll make him very dangerous.
All the more reason his new moves are impressive. With the height advantage, he could have slumped back to poor fundamentals and lack of moves. Really liking what I'm seeing so far.
Go Rhody!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

jeez...looks like these guys have been coached. I didn't know what that looked like until recently...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

These games were played like pre-season exhibition games - which is exactly what they were - for both teams.
NCAAs or Bust!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Is it me or does the video end very abruptly in the middle of one of the questions asked of E.C.??
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ATP, I had the same experience, it just cut out. Also no recap of game or box score has appeared yet on the the gorhody.com site.

I noticed that the Clemson results/recap are up one hour after game. Later they add video highlights. They had no internet service at their first game venue.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Keep repeating...Hare is a soph big man...they take tine
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Pivuz
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Pivuz »

Hi everyone, I am the Italian guy from my-basket.it who wrote about the Rams' game in Vicenza. A friend of mine told me you were discussing about that so I wanted to give you the real translation about the part of the article you were discussing about.

Finally arrived in Vicenza I start to follow the pre-game warm up and immediately I can notice the hand of Dan Hurley, players follow a precise routine that alternates athletic work and tactics. Dan does not need to say anything, his assistants just say a word or two, players have already printed the whole routine in the brain.
The game starts quickly after and the atmosphere is the one of a big party, as it should be in an event like this, but this does not preclude an intense and fun match, even coach Hurley in fact takes the match very seriously and also provides some arguments with the referees. Rhode Island wins by 12, 91-79, but only in the last seconds, after the comeback of Vicenza All-Star Team, has managed to put the game on ice thanks to the plays made by the usual Xavier Munford, a player that can reach maximum speed after the first step and offensively very complete: he really knows how to score in every possible way, around or far from the rim, even with the fade-away shot. Obviously it’s not all roses for the Rams, the point guard Mike Powell has managed to combine very little and showed enormous limitations in both construction of the action and finalization. The same thing goes for Jordan Hare, 6-10 wing that is too lightweight to use power moves and technically too rough to overcome their opponents in post.
The happier notes come from Gilvydas Biruta and freshman E.C. Matthews. The former Rutgers’ junior wing showed everyone that is possible to make the difference even without touching the ball too. Biruta has impeccable technique in the post, he always knows how to position to make his teammates better and catch a rebound. EC Matthews instead is the real gem of the team: he is a true freshman but is already a leader, his teammates always look for him and he perfectly knows how to do everything on the court: he is the first to go on the break and the first to get back on defense, has a great shot from outside and when he goes in the paint he knows how to finish strong at the rim, he can find the basket in an acrobatic way or even find an open teammate. Matthews is a key player in defense also, in fact, despite being a 6-4 guard, he made a couple of big blocks. The MVP award he was given is well deserved.
Ifeanyi Onyekaba deserves an honorable mention. He jumps high and with great timing, is an incredible shot-blocker and no one can limit him in rebounding also because of his size. He’s physically unbelievable, do know the Riace Warriors bronze statues? Perfect, you add two or three of those statues, add more muscles and you’ll the body of this guy. If in the next years in Rhode Island he succeed to acquire more conviction and anger in attacking the rim as well as some other defensive movement we could be in front of an amazing player, a big man as dominant as Bryant Dunston and Gani Lawal respectively in Varese and Rome last year.

PS: If you need the translation of other parts of the article just let me now even if you'll not be able to translate in the next 5 days i'll do it ASAP.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thanks for stopping by and providing the translation, Pivuz!

We have gone international!
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for visiting and providing some views of the game, Pivuz. I have some questions for you about the three teams that URI faced in their tour - the Indiana Pesre, the Vicenza All Stars, and Selezione Varese. Are all three teams at the same capability level? If not, how would you rank them? Are these teams put together specifically for these NCAA sponsored tours for American colleges and have not played together for very long or are they a long standing team? Are the players from the Italian professional teams of one level or a mix of different levels? Have you seen the Vicenza All Stars or any other Italian teams play another US college team other than URI? If so, how did URI compare?

Thanks for any input you can provide. Ciao!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In another benchmark, St. Joseph's played their first game in their tour of Italy beating the Italy Dream Team, 88-65. This is the same team that Clemson played earlier and had won 103-58.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hare is coming along great and EC looks awesome !!!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wanted to continue my support/faith in Jordan Hare! great looks and moves! short defenders but great touch and aggression. The dunks will come and I think as many have said he will benefit from having another big on the floor, especially a physical big that can force contact.

Sky is the limit for a few of these kids and hopefully a final 4 is the limit for the rest.

TJ great dunk!

All the highlights were good. Hopefully this team rides this wave into the fall and grows. The current month being August, Feb is 6 months away..... almost a half of a year. I think we can expect some growth and gains in these kids by then.

Big Year!!!!

Obviously Biruta shows tremendous bounce for a guy his size, he rises above the rim in a split second. I want to see these guys 2nd and 3rd jump efforts (I live in FL now so I can't spy on them).
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Some guy named Milan from Johnston got a public response on @RhodyMBB

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I will give this board another nod for its international presence...I was told the wrong location for the first game. While standing outside a chained up arena I had one choice, Keaney Blue. One call to the states and a friend hopping online and the right venue was found out...from our friends back in RI. This board is of real value and now a global brand!

Go Rhody!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Obes I can tell u firsthand the second team was way better than the first. Didnt see the third team. From what I was told by Dan and the basketball travelers rep they were teams put together specifically for these events and made up predominantly of guys from the Italian B league, with a few A league older guys sprinkled in. Again I would say the second team was like a middle of the road patriot league team, the first a notch or two below that.

So the comp was light but also the conditions were tough...first gym had to have kids wipe the floor every trip down floor bc it was 100 degrees and after a sequence of both teams on one end it would be a puddle of sweat. Second gym I believe was a brand new floor that had never been played on, in short it was a hockey rink with guys sliding all over. Both of these factors neutralized the athletic supremacy we had on both teams bc our guys couldn't really cut, slash or jump like they would in normal conditions.

Given all of that their were three undeniable truths for our team... X, Gil and EC.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks BAR for the great input. Your Patriot League comparison looks to be sound one as Bucknell had a tour to Italy, I believe, last year, and they actually lost one game. Where in Italy did you visit after the second game?

In a game played earlier today in Vicenza, Clemson beat the same Vicenza All-Stars team that URI faced. The score was 83-67. URI had beaten Vicenza, 91-79.

BTW, I was in Vicenza a few years ago and despite its small size, there are beautiful buildings and landmarks everywhere. Vicenza is in the Po River plain, between Venice to the east and Verona to the West. This is the industrial heart of Italy. The flat plain extends south from Vicenza, but north is framed with rolling hills leading up to the Dolomites. Vicenza is notable for being the home base of the architect, Andrea Palladio, whose name is forever attached to the palladian window, an architectural feature that graces many NE colonial buildings including URI's Edwards and Green Halls.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article Zags !!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Redwood Library in Newport based on Palladio style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladian_architecture
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:Obes I can tell u firsthand the second team was way better than the first. Didnt see the third team. From what I was told by Dan and the basketball travelers rep they were teams put together specifically for these events and made up predominantly of guys from the Italian B league, with a few A league older guys sprinkled in. Again I would say the second team was like a middle of the road patriot league team, the first a notch or two below that.

So the comp was light but also the conditions were tough...first gym had to have kids wipe the floor every trip down floor bc it was 100 degrees and after a sequence of both teams on one end it would be a puddle of sweat. Second gym I believe was a brand new floor that had never been played on, in short it was a hockey rink with guys sliding all over. Both of these factors neutralized the athletic supremacy we had on both teams bc our guys couldn't really cut, slash or jump like they would in normal conditions.

Given all of that their were three undeniable truths for our team... X, Gil and EC.
Based on Italy, my new starting 5: Minnis, X, EC, Gil, Hare
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Obes I can tell u firsthand the second team was way better than the first. Didnt see the third team. From what I was told by Dan and the basketball travelers rep they were teams put together specifically for these events and made up predominantly of guys from the Italian B league, with a few A league older guys sprinkled in. Again I would say the second team was like a middle of the road patriot league team, the first a notch or two below that.

Based on Italy, my new starting 5: Minnis, X, EC, Gil, Hare
I have 4 Starters for Sure either for November but certainly by A10 League Play:
1. Hare - C
2. Biruta - PF
3. Mathews - PG
4. Munford - SG
5. Depends on who we are playing and who wins the competition for the starting 5th spot: Could come down to Minnis, TJ or Martin
- Martin can shoot the 3 very well and could end up playing Forward on the wing for a good tall line up. He also plays good defense and makes good things happen on the court. Great upside potential.
- Minnis is impressive with his size, strength, ball handling, passing and driving the lane to create his own shot or to pass off. Good enthusiasm and leadership
- TJ plays tough defense, passes well, has improved his shooting and is a natural leader on the court always giving 100% so I would not count him out of any competition. Good size and strength.
Ify, MP, Jarelle, Aaman and Butler will also compete for this spot. Lot of time left before November so anything can happen. Good to have so much depth that enables such a competitive environment for the precious Playing Time Minutes. If anyone falters along the way there is plenty of solid depth.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I'm still convinced MP is your starting PG... At least to start the season.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think X and Biruta are the only sure starters. Hare is looking more likely, but PG and SF are both wide open.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with Iggy and would be surprised if that is not the lineup sooner than later. Iffy, Reischel, Mike P, TJ and Hassan make for a formidable bench behind them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mathews and Hare were very strong in Italy. Hare with two double-double games - oftentimes dominated. Mathews was the voted MVP of Game 2. These two guys are sure to start.
Not only start but will be two of the bigger contributors throughout the season.
Not a Munford only team anymore.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Saw this earlier this morning and thought someone would have posted it, but haven't seen it. ESPN (Goodman) talks about top recruits, then has a whole section just about URI hoops under it. Pretty random and alot of it is stuff we already know, but its always good to see coverage of our team... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=5469
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Saw this earlier this morning and thought someone would have posted it, but haven't seen it. ESPN (Goodman) talks about top recruits, then has a whole section just about URI hoops under it. Pretty random and alot of it is stuff we already know, but its always good to see coverage of our team...
Probably because most of us are too cheap to pay for an Insider subscription.
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Saw this earlier this morning and thought someone would have posted it, but haven't seen it. ESPN (Goodman) talks about top recruits, then has a whole section just about URI hoops under it. Pretty random and alot of it is stuff we already know, but its always good to see coverage of our team... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=5469
Dude, so post what it says. We don't all have insider.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

dude, it's either $2.50 (2 year) or $3.33 (1 year)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From the article...

Hurley’s new-look URI Rams

Dan Hurley’s Rhode Island team was overmatched on a nightly basis in an eight-win 2012-13 season. That won’t happen this season. Hurley brings back a potential all-league guard in leading scorer Xavier Munford, but it’s whom he's adding that has Hurley excited about this season. The Rams had four players sitting out in 2012-13, and Hurley also adds a talented incoming freshman guard who could vie for Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year honors. The Rams just returned from a 3-0 trip to Italy, where Hurley got an opportunity to get his first real look at his club. Here were some of his thoughts on his squad after seeing them in Italy:

• What did Hurley learned on the trip? “Jordan Hare has really come along, we’ll be able to score and play faster, and we’ll have multiple options and depth.” “He probably played the best of anyone on the trip, especially from where he was last year,” Hurley added. “He’s really come along in terms of his maturity, his work ethic, and his skills and understanding. Last year he played at 177 pounds, and now he’s almost at 200. We hope to have him at 205 or 210 by the time the season starts. He had two double-doubles on the trip, including 27 points and 12 rebounds in the last game.”

• What is Hurley’s biggest concern coming out of the trip? “We need to establish leadership,” he said. “Which player is going to learn to lead? Munford is our best returning player, and he needs to be more of a leader. That will be key for us.”

• Hurley played 11 guys on the trip and each player averaged between 16 and 20 minutes. “I wanted to use it to evaluate our players,” he said.

• The Rams averaged more than 100 points in the three games. Sure, the competition wasn’t exactly stellar, but this is a program that put up an average of just 61.6 points per contest last season. Hurley’s teams are known for their toughness and defensive intensity, but this year’s group should be able to put points on the board and get out and run.

• Hurley is excited about the addition of freshman E.C. Matthews, a four-star guard out of Michigan. But he also said junior Mike Powell is the incumbent starting point guard after averaging 8.9 points per game last season. Matthews eventually will be a floor leader, but he’s not there quite yet. Look for Hurley to rotate four quality perimeter guys in Munford, Matthews, Powell and Texas Tech transfer Biggie Minnis, who also can play the point. Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta and Hare are near locks to start along the front line.

• URI got virtually nothing out of its bench a year ago, but this season should be different. The Rams will have Rice transfer Jarelle Reischel, big man Ifeanyi Onyekaba, freshman forward Hassan Martin, junior guard T.J. Buchanan and sophomore forward Mike Aaman, which will give Hurley 11 competent bodies. “We’ll actually have competition,” he said.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

From that it sounds like Powell, X, Hare and Biruta start. Who is the 5th? Does he go 3 guards and start Biggie or EC. Or does he go with a more traditional lineup with Jarelle at the 3?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Butler the only one not mentioned.