Week #5 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #5 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wrapping up Sunday action in the A-10:

Longwood which lead most of the game and had a 15 point lead midway in second half could not withstand a furious late charge by Duquesne as the Dukes won, 80-71.

It was a close game throughout with VCU holding a five point lead late in second half, but Virginia surged in the last 3 minutes to take the win, 57-49.

Oregon State trailed most of second half and came back to take a slim lead at the 6 minute mark, but Saint Louis re-took the lead in last 3 minutes to grab victory, 65-61.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU covers easily at UVA and decent win for St Louis who plays undefeated Houston next week
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

VCU has been playing very well for most of their games, very good defensively, but they can't seem to close games out.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago VCU has been playing very well for most of their games, very good defensively, but they can't seem to close games out.
yeah, they seem to lack that go to scorer down the stretch when you need a bucket
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Virginia was rewarded with a five point trip down the stretch.

Kyle Guy was fouled on a screen and they gave Ty Jerome an NBA continuation three on the other side of the court.
Jerome made the three then Guy made the two free throws and that was ot for VCU.

Very hard to win at UVA. All they know how to do is win.

VCU is better this year than last.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Virginia was rewarded with a five point trip down the stretch.

Kyle Guy was fouled on a screen and they gave Ty Jerome an NBA continuation three on the other side of the court.
Jerome made the three then Guy made the two free throws and that was ot for VCU.

Very hard to win at UVA. All they know how to do is win.

VCU is better this year than last.
All they know how to do is win.

(Offer not applicable in the NCAA tournament).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

If there was going to be a number 1 seed to lose to a 16 it would be UVA.

They own all time defeats to UMBC as the number 1 overall seed and Chaminade as the number 1 team with Ralph Sampson.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When I saw that yesterday's game between South Florida and Charlotte was cancelled because of the snow storm in North Carolina, I thought whenever did that happen to URI. Confining my time span to the existence of the Ryan Center, I recall no similar URI game cancellations. I do remember several snowstorms that affected Ryan game attendance, the most famous one being the early December 2005 game against PC. Also I recall a storm which impacted mostly Kingston area in Feb. 2010 against Richmond, another game the next season against Fairfield, and the 2013 snowstorm that impacted a game against the Bonnies. But I recall no cancellations and both the PC and Richmond games had over 7000 in attendance!! Anyone with a better memory or a recall on URI cancellations in the history of the Ryan Center, please feel free to correct me.

Maybe we are just hardier folks than those in NC.
Last edited by Obadiah 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

When it snows down there, they usually just wait until it melts. Not much need for plows, generally, down there, except maybe out in the mountains.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I believe I went to a game in 09-10 and classes were cancelled the next day.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Living in Virginia I know they aren't really prepared for big snowstorms.
We have plows but they aren't nearly as thorough as they are up north.

I'm sure in Charlotte they're less prepared.
Kinda crazy to cancel the game I think.