Game #18 - @ LaSalle, Wed. Jan 15, 7 pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #18 - @ LaSalle, Wed. Jan 15, 7 pm

Unread post by rambone 78 »

First Mate of the New Titanic, overheard talking to the captain:

"Sir, there are 3 icebergs dead ahead. What should we do?"

Captain: "Aim for the one in the middle"

That's better than our free throw shooting.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The hoagies at Campo's were memorable.

:(
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

For whatever reason I'm looking forward to the next game. I still like to watch them play
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote:For whatever reason I'm looking forward to the next game. I still like to watch them play
Please pass your crack pipe. Id love a hit.

NO HUSTLE. No effort. No heart.

I can't single anyone out. Just piss poor embarrassing all around. Hassan and EC are going to be special players. Im just tired of waiting dor what looks like their senior year until we have any semblance of a team that can support them well enough to get us to the dance.

That being said they can kiss my donation and expensive seats good bye for next year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lets hope we can beat GM at home
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

Watching this team lately has made me feel like making my annual donation last month was a huge mistake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Start TJ - I loved the comment about "coaches talk". All we heard about Biggie in practice last year was how he locked up Mike 24/7. No mention of ball handling, shooting, foul shooting, or passing. Simply put, we have defensive players who can't score. Offensive players who can't guard, and numerous players who can't shoot foul shots. I will be in 205 on Saturday. Have not and will not quit...that ram fan!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

How did this thing go so awful? I do think the Hurley magic wand passed over the NEC level resulted in great progress. That wand over this teams talent against A-10 level, not so much. As for no coaches post game for radio again(if true) there's no excuse for that. Even if it's the usual coach's babble, we need to hear from them. Any coach named Hurley eventually needs to have some feet held the fire for this display.......how did this go so awful?.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think I'll join The Wyatt Family.
NO! NO! NO! NO!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:New starting lineup and ride them until they foul out. Slow down the game, so they can play the entire 40 minutes. Nobody else deserves any playing time.

Place TJ on the opponents top scorer at G or SF all game long. He plays great defense and does not foul.

PG- EC
SG- X
SF- TJ
PF- Hassan
C- Gil
If Hurley told EC during the recruiting process that we'd let him play point, this is the way I'd do it the rest of the year. EC might not be ready to be a PG yet, but we might as well get him the reps so he'll be better sooner or get him the reps so we can tell him that PG isn't for him.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Unfortunately Biggie looks lost on defense and that's where he is supposed to excel. Hope he turns this around with a quickness.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

E.C.'s handle isn't D-1 point quality yet, but I agree Rhowdy, if he still wants to get work in at the point, it should begin to happen this year, no better time than the present.
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm going to re-think my three season tickets.
I feel like those people who thought Obama was going to
be the savior of America.
Not trying to be political, but I'm trying to remember a bigger
disappointment to so many people.
My disappointment is huge. I drank the Koolaide deeper than most.
I became a Hurley Zombie, ready to clash with anyone who wasn't.
The book is far from closed, but......
Again, my question. Does this look remotely like a well
coached team?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

No it does not.

If Gil leaves his feet and swats at one more ball fake, I might just cry.
Go Rhody!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rams Journal: Minnis’ struggles could cost him
PHILADELPHIA — Despite his recent struggles, URI sophomore Biggie Minnis started at point guard for the 11th consecutive game on Wednesday against La Salle. There’s a chance he could be coming off the bench...

“[Minnis] and Jarelle are guys who came into the season really believing in their talent,” Hurley said. “[They were] so impressive on the year off. Hopefully it’s just a situation where they’re just taking some time to get re-adjusted to college basketball. They’re talented people, but we obviously have to look at maybe changing some roles here just so that we can get off to better starts."

How about, maybe they aren't as talented as the coach thought they were?
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Yikes maybe it's a good thing I didn't go to this game. Sounds like the sky is falling.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:New starting lineup and ride them until they foul out. Slow down the game, so they can play the entire 40 minutes. Nobody else deserves any playing time.

Place TJ on the opponents top scorer at G or SF all game long. He plays great defense and does not foul.

PG- EC
SG- X
SF- TJ
PF- Hassan
C- Gil
If Hurley told EC during the recruiting process that we'd let him play point, this is the way I'd do it the rest of the year. EC might not be ready to be a PG yet, but we might as well get him the reps so he'll be better sooner or get him the reps so we can tell him that PG isn't for him.
EC wants to play the point and seeing we do not have a capable PG, why the hell not? I'm sorry, but half the posters here could have put up a better box score than Biggie last night. 0 points, 0 assists, 1 rebound, 2 turnovers and 5 personal fouls. Was he blindfolded last night?
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

KB, it's official.
The sky IS falling!
We're in mid January, when I honestly thought we'd be on the
cusp of being a real team.
Instead, we have a rudderless mess, and the problems shown before
are problems still rampant.
Stagnant offense, with no post play. CFL style passing it around the perimeter
and chucking up a poor shot near the end of the shot clock.
No interior defense when Martin is sitting.
A guard we were told was a lockdown defender, playing matador defense, and doing little else.
A forward we were told people wouldn't believe how good he is, being a
detriment when he's on the floor.
A power forward that we were told would be one of the best bigmen in the A-10,
having trouble staying on the floor, and can't play defense.
A center who we were told dominated practices last year, who can't make a layup.
So, we have Munford, Matthews and Martin, sometimes Biruta, and always TJ.
Play them until they get into foul trouble, and rest them only when needed.
Buy a book on how to attack a zone defense. Maybe one on how to play one
correctly?
So, tell me where I'm wrong?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The biggest issue to me, is that we look like a VERY poorly coached team.

That's disturbing. Maybe the transfers aren't the only ones that were overrated.

Hated to say that, but it's beginning to look that way.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How was Hurley's record at St. Ben's and his 2nd year at Wagner so good? Did he suddenly forget how to coach? Or were his teams just so much more talented than the opposition in those two cases?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's like here, with Catholic schools in athletics.
They have huge and unfair advantages over public schools.
They can cross district and city and town lines and basically recruit
kids that they like.
It's a joke.
Wagner hasn't done much the last year and a half, which means not much of
a lasting nature was built there.
Starting to question things and not liking what the answers are.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Well, if he's not the coach we thought he was, he has a pretty long contract here.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

This team has no point guard. X already has the ball more than Biggie when Biggie is in the game. What "point guard" duties is Biggie fulfilling? Bringing the ball up? Not really, X is doing alot of that too. Biggie's not setting up the halfcourt offense either. The title is meaningless, the team does not have a facilitator. X, EC, and TJ are the three best guards, they'll have to share the duties the rest of the year.

If Biggie and Onyekaba really dominated Powell and Hare in practice last year, Powell and Hare must have been the two worst practice players in the history of the program. Before I get lectured on worshiping Powell and Hare, it's not about them, it's about our two upgrades who aren't upgrades.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:For whatever reason I'm looking forward to the next game. I still like to watch them play
Please pass your crack pipe. Id love a hit.

NO HUSTLE. No effort. No heart.

I can't single anyone out. Just piss poor embarrassing all around. Hassan and EC are going to be special players. Im just tired of waiting dor what looks like their senior year until we have any semblance of a team that can support them well enough to get us to the dance.

That being said they can kiss my donation and expensive seats good bye for next year.
Well the crack was already paid for just like my ticket since I'm a student so I have more reason to think that. Honestly if I had to buy an expensive ticket I would reconsider going as well.
GO RAMS
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

This season is worse expectation wise than the 1993-1994 team that went 11-16 after going to and winning an NCAA game the year before.
'No Mercy.'
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I've been off the Biggie bandwagon for a while...I believe that is the #1 need...a PG who can score a bit, and take care of the ball. Unfortunately assists may be lacking, since he'd have few options who can score. that brings me to the # 2 need... a scorer... a big or a wing...just somebody who can get to the hole and finish. Of coarse, who knows how EC will take it if we start recruiting PGs, when he was promised the job. The more I think about it, these needs are about equal.

I think our front court will be better next year even if we are not able to get a good big in this class...HM and "O" will be a year older and (fingers crossed mainly for "O") improved...Gill will put up points and boards (but give them up too)...MA and EW will also help.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As I said earlier, key to this year will be the development of Biggie Minnis who got the starting PG position with the McNeese State game. In the ten games since then, we know Biggie has not developed, in fact, he does not have the ball handling skills and fluidity possessed by a good PG. We don't need more time to tell us that Biggie, at the A-10 level, is a role player at best, maybe the 8th or 9th guy off the bench. Mike Powell was bad and so is Biggie.

There are reasons why Biggie left Texas Tech as there are reasons why Jarelle left Rice. And those reasons are not flattering. My question is why Dan Hurley thought differently.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm so happy Rod said EC is a bad ball handler. Its true. Not sure we have a good one on the roster.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

There's three legs to the stool. Recruiting. Player evaluation and development. In game coaching. I said from jump street that you had to have your eyes wide open on items two and three. But, I thought he would crush it from day one in recruiting. And, the 2013 class looks like a keeper. I thought he was a bright enough/hard enough worker that he'd jump on the learning curve for coaching and development. But, 2014 recruiting is a dud so far and the in-game coaching is, really, god awful. I think one of the topics that doesn't get enough play is the competency of the assistants. This staff is dying for a grizzled old vet who has seen a zillion end games, who can install a functional offense. Look at the staff. Has one guy been on the bench as part of a functional, high level college offense? Preston Murphy was DBO at BC so he wasn't that involved with the Dudley/Ty Rice teams. At the very least, DH has to really think about shaking the staff up at year's end.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Dan had trouble handling the losing last year. So he dealt with it by saying, these aren't my players, we don't have enough talent, wait til my players are eligible next year. In the end, he over hyped the four guys sitting (but not the freshmen). It was a big mistake on his part. It was also insulting to the players on the team, especially since it turns out that Malone is better than Reischel.
I could forgive him all this if he now realizes that three of the four guys who were sitting out aren't very good and he needs to inject more talent into the program. Instead, he says Biggie and Reischel are elite players who are under performing.
In Biggie, I see a PG who is a poor shooter and ball handler. In Reischel, I see a player who isn't overly athletic so he's unable to get off good shots in the lane, who has bad hands that cause him to lose the ball and rebounds. In Iffy, I see a raw player who will improve, but how much?
At the Mews on Monday, Hurley said he was looking to recruit "role players" to fill in around the talent on the team. What? This team needs more star players, not role players.
Still, I don't think all is lost if he's able to add some talent for next year. EC, Hassan and Gil will be good next year. TJ will be TJ. Watson will play. Biggie, Reischel, Aaman and Iffy are role players. Not to be harsh, but I don't think Butler is an A10 player.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BFC is right,100% in his post.
X has become the defacto PG. 8 assists last night.
Just go PG by committee. TJ, X and EC.
Use Biggie to rest them.
I questioned the transfers of Minnis and Reischel and got hooted down.
They played for mediocre programs and did little to
distinguish themselves as freshmen.
Now maybe we know why.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How long is his contract?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting observation from a La Salle fan.

"A big credit to this win, though, goes to Mr. Danny Hurley. URI ran some weird zone-press thing in the second half when things got a little close. It immediately left open a whole bunch of wide open looks. That's when Sam hit his. I would let the worst three-point shooting team in the history basketball bomb away against that defense"
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Mills hit two back-to-back threes, and the game was over at that point. Also, even when we were playing man, guards would come down to help on bigs, and not back in time to get a hand in their own guy's face.
Go Rhody!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Based on what we've said here...how big is the loss of Bobby?

Is there a chance that Dan asks Bob Sr. to join the staff? Would he ever consider it?

It's obvious last year that player development and coaching was taking place. You saw things from Baron hold overs that we weren't sure they were capable of.

The style of play was indicative of a coaching staff with basketball knowledge. The ball was moved around and more times than not, a good shot was taken. They certainly didn't go in, but the effort to find the best shot was there.

Dan made some questionable in-game/end-of-game decisions, but he's also growing as a coach.

Moving forward though...I'm yet to see any of that type of development/toughness/organization/basketball yet this year.

I don't know that you can blame this on the loss of Hare, and people playing out of position. We're well into the season, and that should've been adjusted for.

I don't care who you are/what position you play in basketball: if you are under the hoop and are given an uncontested layup...YOU DONT MISS IT. If you are at the foul line you HAVE to hit more than 50% of your free throws. That's just disgusting.

The D is inconsistent, and the interior is a wasteland of easy buckets for opponents. The offense is literally laughable, as the NBC guys sounded like they were calling play by play of a circus during the GW game. We can't beat a zone offense, we dribble out the clock meaninglessly ALL THE TIME and then force up a shitty shot. I really don't know what to say at this point.

Maybe that contract extension should've been for Bobby too??
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

What are they doing in practice to better their D free throws and lay ups?
Give me football or give me death
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Most recent posts from Iggy and GBG are both excellent. I agree with GBG in that I think Dan's potential and aptitude are through the roof, but I am a little surprised with where we are from an Xs and Os standpoint, and I'm disappointed with the '14 recruiting results to this point. I agree with Iggy's evaluation of the roster. Overall, I don't think we are screwed, but I do think we are at a critical juncture and need some things to go right in the near future. There is basically no problem with this program that landing a good guard for the '14 class and picking up a good early '15 commit wouldn't solve.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

More "coach speak"
"I'm looking to recruit role players. Meaning: I just can't get any starters.

I hope this team doesn't turn into the team Kraft recruited one year, Walters, Metcalf, Cummings, etc. I remember him telling me at a dinner that he wanted recruits that weren't going to make waves (by thinking they could start).
After seeing these transfers, I really have to question Hurley's talent evaluation skills. I also am getting the impression that Dan is very stubborn. He's going to stay with Minnis, rather than admit he was wrong.
We desperately need a pg. Period. If we don't get one this spring, nothing will improve. At this point, I wouldn't mind if he brings in 2 pg. Now, we have none.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

People jumping ship 20 months into the regime is absurd to me. Be pissed, critical, frustrated, disappointed, etc. all rightfully so and this is where those opinions belong. But more than a few posters saying they are re-thinking their tickets or donations is eye opening. So you guys are only fans when the team wins? What are we the Yankees, we demand immediate excellence or else?

Their is a lot of picking everything apart, which comes with the losing, but the most glaring problem we have is lack of depth in the front court and poor PG play. The latter is the biggest issue. A great PG makes those around him look and play better. We have been getting PG play that does the reverse, shines a big bright light on our deficiencies.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I still like Iffy long term and I may like Gil more next year if there is someone standing next to him with some size on D who is not a walking foul.

EC and Hassan are good pieces. We need a high level PG but other than that I actually don't disagree with the idea of recruiting some role players. I think Dan's comments on the show were meant to say "if I had 5 TJs on the court I could win".

Now I don't understand why that does not translate to TJ starting at point with X and EC as others have suggested. Early in the year he let Powell try to work out his issues starting before making te change, maybe that is what he is doing now?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

John Wooden recruited like Jack Kraft did.
Bill Walton said he'd just coach the first seven and the end of the bench guys were
an afterthought.
However, Dan is no Wooden or Kraft, two Hall of Famers.
He needs to get the best talent he can find. I don't want to hear about
role players".
As Iggy wrote, we need stars, not role players. You can't count 100% on anyone.
Injuries, grades, off the court nonsense, can all leave a team shorthanded.
EC and Martin will be good, but where's your wings and PG? Where's your center?
I find the recruiting comments very disturbing.
It's not about immediate results. It's about talent evaluation of players brought in, and
over sold. It's asking the coach if he had enough shooters and being told,"Of course! We have...."
It's being told, "Don't worry about recruiting."
If we were told this was all part of a long rebuilding process, we'd probably accept it.
However, look at the prediction contest and tell me that expectations weren't
ridiculously high, in retrospect.
I'll still go to all the games and cheer as loud as I can. I'll be doing it with a much more
jaundiced eye as to what I'm watching.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I always thought Baron failed because he recruited guys who had good potential but were not good ball players (see Jamal wise). If Dan is talking about making sure the guys who come in can actually play basketball and aren't just rated 3 stars because they are tall or fast for their position I am down. Sprinkle in a few high level recruits and you have a team. We are not Cuse or Duke or UConn. We can't reload every year. Every player in every class cannot be a 4 star recruit stud level player. I want one or two of those guys each year that we can steal from the bigger programs by offering playing time and the rest of the guys we bring in I want to have a high basketball IQ and be able to fit around the talent. That is team building. That was the fault of Baron - he surrounded Cochran, Jimmy and will Daniels with guys who for the most part were not good basketball players.

So far JR has proven to be a bad basketball player as has Biggie. iffy is a project. If Dan thinks he has to build around guys like X, EC and Hassan with guys who are game ready than I would say he understands the issues confronted by an A10 team.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NJRhodyFan wrote:I'm always searching for the silver lining, so here it is. Maybe the fact that we played three of the better teams in our conference right off the bat means that we'll be battle-tested and more capable of beating the middle tier teams as we move along in our schedule...maybe?. I just don't have much confidence in this team at the moment. They haven't put together two solid halves of basketball all season. It's very frustrating and Baron-esque.
NJ,
I'll bite on the Silver Lining aspect as I tend to do that too.
I have only had one game wrong so far - Detroit.
Saint Louis and George Washington are very tough teams - both Top 25 material. Lasalle was picked to finish Top 3 in the A10 and they are playing very well righ tnow - so not surprising at all to me that we are 0-3. Yes we got blasted by GW BUT was also played Saint Louis Almost to a "W"
Could we still end up 15-16? I think so. Fordham is bad - Jon Severe is not in the starting line up anymore and his shooting percentage is bad and we play them twice. Duquesne is bad and we play them at home. GMU we play at home next and we should win that one. Need to beat St Joe's twice and St Bona at their place - tough acts but could happen.
Again, any wins against St Louis, GW on the road and LaSalle on the road would for sure have been big upsets.

We win against GMU this Saturday and we might get some guys back from "walking the plank"

Maine W
@ SMU L
North Carolina A&T W
Metro St W
@ Arizona L
UMASS Lowell W
NIT Team Consolation W
NIT Team Consolation W
@ George Mason L
PC L

@ Detroit W - Turned out to be a loss
New Hampshire W
Southern Mississippi L
@ Brown W
@ LSU L
RPI
36-St Louis L
27-@ George Washington L
74-@ LaSalle L

167-George Mason W
60-@ St Josephs W
50-Dayton L
220-@ Fordham W
38-@ Virginia Commonwealth L
3-UMASS L
50-@ Dayton L
290-Duquesne W
60-St Josephs W
97-@ St Bonaventure W
3-@ UMASS L
72-Richmond L
220-Fordham W
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodylaw wrote:I always thought Baron failed because he recruited guys who had good potential but were not good ball players (see Jamal wise). If Dan is talking about making sure the guys who come in can actually play basketball and aren't just rated 3 stars because they are tall or fast for their position I am down. Sprinkle in a few high level recruits and you have a team. We are not Cuse or Duke or UConn. We can't reload every year. Every player in every class cannot be a 4 star recruit stud level player. I want one or two of those guys each year that we can steal from the bigger programs by offering playing time and the rest of the guys we bring in I want to have a high basketball IQ and be able to fit around the talent. That is team building. That was the fault of Baron - he surrounded Cochran, Jimmy and will Daniels with guys who for the most part were not good basketball players.

So far JR has proven to be a bad basketball player as has Biggie. iffy is a project. If Dan thinks he has to build around guys like X, EC and Hassan with guys who are game ready than I would say he understands the issues confronted by an A10 team.
I think you are on to something here...
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I get down when I think how bad Biggie is and then think of who recently came before him. I was complaining on this board with Jones about not passing the ball. Still have PG problems in '14 and no answers in the near future.

I hope DH gets it done. Even if it takes YEARS. I am not bemoaning his presence despite what we are getting. I also hope he doesn't go into a shell now that adversity is at an all time high the past few months.

BUT if DH happens to not be here before 2020, I would like URI to target a guy that had been to the top of the mountain or at least glimpsed it and is looking for another shot. I remember chanting Huggy Bear was coming few years back. Not necessarily a Bob Huggins, but certainly a guy that has a known product he can put together and just needs a position. There are many examples, but hope DH gets it done and this never happens. IF NOT, PLEASE GET A GUY THAT KNOWS EXACTLY what a NCAA team looks like from the inside.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ramster wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:I'm always searching for the silver lining, so here it is. Maybe the fact that we played three of the better teams in our conference right off the bat means that we'll be battle-tested and more capable of beating the middle tier teams as we move along in our schedule...maybe?. I just don't have much confidence in this team at the moment. They haven't put together two solid halves of basketball all season. It's very frustrating and Baron-esque.

Maine W
@ SMU L
North Carolina A&T W
Metro St W
@ Arizona L
UMASS Lowell W
NIT Team Consolation W
NIT Team Consolation W
@ George Mason L
PC L

@ Detroit W - Turned out to be a loss
New Hampshire W
Southern Mississippi L
@ Brown W
@ LSU L
St Louis L
@ George Washington L
@ LaSalle L

George Mason W
@ St Josephs W
Dayton L
@ Fordham W
@ Virginia Commonwealth L
UMASS L
@ Dayton L
Duquesne W
St Josephs W
@ St Bonaventure W
@ UMASS L
Richmond L
Fordham W
Clearly we're blaming the wrong people here. It's not the fault of DH or any of the players, but this DAMN RAMSTER who is apparently some sort of basketball prediction savant or oracle. If he'd predicted 23-8 imagine where we'd be now...
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Bonnie's front line gave UMass and their great frontcourt, fits.
What are we going to do against them in Olean?
How can you predict a win there, with any confidence?
Same with at St. Joe's.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I know everyone had higher expectations, but I think it's an important thing to keep in mind how bare the cupboard was when Hurley took over. A season and a half in and we have ONE player from 2011-2012, a team that went 7-24 4-10 in conference. By my count 7 out of the 10 players getting any sort of real minutes are Freshman or Sophomores. You guys can't figure out why Hurley took on some of these transfers? He needed to field a team, and there was no one on the roster. It's one thing if we were a Kentucky or Duke that is always reloading with the top freshman, but any team at our recruiting level would be stuggling. Our best teams were always teams that came together over their 4 years on campus. We're at the beginning of the cycle now, we will be where we want to be soon.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote:I still like Iffy long term and I may like Gil more next year if there is someone standing next to him with some size on D who is not a walking foul.

EC and Hassan are good pieces. We need a high level PG but other than that I actually don't disagree with the idea of recruiting some role players. I think Dan's comments on the show were meant to say "if I had 5 TJs on the court I could win".

Now I don't understand why that does not translate to TJ starting at point with X and EC as others have suggested. Early in the year he let Powell try to work out his issues starting before making te change, maybe that is what he is doing now?
I love TJ but if he had 5 TJ's the team would be fun to watch but they would not win. Hurley needs players as good or better than the best A10 teams. he said last night that LaSalle was better; OK, let's change that and recruit better players.
The guys on the team will get better. i still think Hurley is good at player development. But will they improve enough to compete for the A10 title? Get more good players!
Hurley hadn't seen Biggie play since high school. Based on that he thought he was an elite player. It's still possible but it's trending the other way.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I know everyone had higher expectations, but I think it's an important thing to keep in mind how bare the cupboard was when Hurley took over. A season and a half in and we have ONE player from 2011-2012, a team that went 7-24 4-10 in conference. By my count 7 out of the 10 players getting any sort of real minutes are Freshman or Sophomores. You guys can't figure out why Hurley took on some of these transfers? He needed to field a team, and there was no one on the roster. It's one thing if we were a Kentucky or Duke that is always reloading with the top freshman, but any team at our recruiting level would be stuggling. Our best teams were always teams that came together over their 4 years on campus. We're at the beginning of the cycle now, we will be where we want to be soon.
I agree he needed to bring in transfers with guys leaving, and I agree that our best teams were built over a few years .... but the high expectations came from Hurley, not us. He told us that the guys sitting out were very good, that he would turn things around quickly. Last night, half of those four guys (Iffy and Biggie) barely played. I still think it will happen but Hurley promised a big improvement this year and we're not getting it. He has to take the heat for that.