Game #6: Auburn University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #6: Auburn University

Unread post by STC »

WOO HOOO great win for Rhody! Never stopped hustling even when it didn't look good. Love the heart this team is showing!

By the way, what a shit weekend for Auburn athletics, lose 49-0 to Alabama in the Iron Bowl and follow it up with a home loss to a rebuilding URI team. Ouch.

GO RHODY!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI96 wrote:Bunch of doubting thomases here tonight

This team has given us plenty of reasons to doubt.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Great win tonight fellas.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

FINALLYYY YAHOOOOO
GO RAMS
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

That was awesome! I think I hurt myself celebrating but totally worth it :-)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The Auburn guys just said Munford's performance was one of the best they've ever seen in that arena.
I love this kid!
Hare was great. Malone steady. Nik came though in the end.
Congrats to Hurley and staff!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Believe!!! But be patient too. Great win!!!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

Ridiculous comment again. 5 games into a new era with a real coach, left in a worse situation than Lord Baron inherited and playing a solid schedule. If you are already doubting, you should follow Mr .500 and Canisius, Mr Loser.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great, great win. Coming off some tough losses, an away game... so many chances for this team to check out, and they fought through it. It all makes for a much more pleasant plane ride back... thanks for the win!
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by lasumesa »

What a relief!! And a huge THANK YOU for the link to watch the game.
GO RHODY!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

BEAT MASONN
GO RAMS
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Can WHJJ stop buying their equipment at Radio Shack? What a Mickey Mouse broadcast.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Ridiculous comment again. 5 games into a new era with a real coach, left in a worse situation than Lord Baron inherited and playing a solid schedule. If you are already doubting, you should follow Mr .500 and Canisius, Mr Loser.

I guess you don't like reality. This team this year is bad and it will lose plenty more games. I am just stating the truth. This season will be very painful. Dan Hurley can't work miracles. There is just not enough talent, basketball smarts, and experience. Better days unfortunately won't start until next year. That is when the turn around begins.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RF1, always a Baron smoocher. Trashes a nice win.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Thx for the link to the game, great win and finally "validates" the course of action by the coaches for this program. Even if/when I see other teams trying to take away X from those points, I think he can get-some but now there's others to help. Not exactly a NCAA level team we played, but win is a win, good feeling going forward...............Powell needs some relief from???
Last edited by section(105) 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed about WHJJ....embarassing! They have a bigger than normal audience given there was no TV tonight.

But GREAT WiN! Munford is a player. What an incredible JuCo pickup!

Can't wait for the Nationally Televised game vs Mason on Wednesday, 8pm!!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

It's got to give some confidence to this team to win on the road. (or for that matter, anywhere). Let's get some people out to welcome them home on Wednesday. Way to go, X!!!!!

Have not and will not...
Issac
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Issac »

This team deserves a standing "O" when they first come on the floor on Wednesday night against George Mason. Great, gutsy win after 5 tough losses.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:FINALLY!
X MUNFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone think he shoots too much?
Wow!
Won in spite of Powell's disgusting performance.
I said earlier in this thread that it was getting increasingly hard to defend Powell with some of the decisions he makes, but on the other hand he is still a young player and he is being asked to do far more than can realistically be expected of him. He isn't a 35-minute-a-game PG; he just isn't that good. But he's been asked to serve as one anyways because they don't have anyone else. He does some things OK; I thought he had a very nice play to set up Nik's three in 2OT, going baseline then kicking out.

More to the point, though, its OK to point out that we need better play from the PG position, but to call his play "disgusting" is unnecessary. If you want to say the play of the right fielder for the Sox or the backup right guard for the Pats was disgusting, that is up to you. They are pro athletes. But Powell is a 20 year old college student, representing OUR university. I cannot understand how a grown man can think its OK to talk about a kid that way.

I'm not trying to derail the thread or distract from our first win, but I find it hard to let that crap go by without comment when I see it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Tough defense was the key...we all know our offense is lacking. The defensive discipline was excellent!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:RF1, always a Baron smoocher. Trashes a nice win.

Hardly a Baron smoocher. Just realistic about this season. Hurley gets a pass from me for this year. John Wooden would have difficulty getting wins from this team. I have no illusions about this season. I just wish we could get it over with as soon as possible and fast forward to next November. That will be when winning returns to Kingston.
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Anyone listening on WHJJ when at the end of Nik's interview he wanted to say something (and before he spoke in Serbian)? My link kept going in and out so I missed it. I was hoping for an apology for whatever he did that earned him a spot on the bench.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

he had a nice drive and kick to set up Nik on the last 3 to put us up 5
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes to the standing O come Wednesday; maybe those folks that sit during most happenings in the RC will acknowledge this; nice stats on points made on their TO/s; still going forward gonna be a rough road, but now I think we/ll get some major MO and go on a litle run..........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

If you go on espn.com, X is one of the top three players for Sunday!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:I guess you don't like reality. This team this year is bad and it will lose plenty more games. I am just stating the truth. This season will be very painful. Dan Hurley can't work miracles. There is just not enough talent, basketball smarts, and experience. Better days unfortunately won't start until next year. That is when the turn around begins.

This team may lose many more games but its not because of effort or coaching. Rather limited roster, posiition wise in particular and solid out of conference schedule and excellent conference. Reality? Why are you disappointed if you think team is so bad? I am happy they can beat Auburn on road. Disappointment? Why, if you thnk they are horrible. It is truly amazing a supposed true fan could have lived through 11 years of an absolute nightmare in every way, can try to put a damper on this team. We have already seen more improvement in this team in a couple of months than we did in 11 years. Go watch Canisius and Billy boy.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Baron boy RF 1 , no doubt. But lets not go there, just jump on Hurley band wagon. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of basketball doesn't expect Hurley and staff to being winning the a 10 even in 2 or 3 years, but I will give you a pass on that. Look at what is happening in a short period of time instead of being bitter.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree with RF1, and nobody believes more in the Hurleys than I do. What he is saying is not in anyway supportive of Baron (I don't even really get how it could be taken that way, honestly). It isn't unsupportive of Hurley on any level, either. Its just an acknowledgment that this team is really going to struggle to win games this year.

I don't really get URI96's point that started this discussion about doubting thomases or who he was referring to, either.

Gio, I'm usually right there with you on most of your posts, but I'm really struggling to see what point you're trying to make to RF1. You seem to be saying the exact same thing that he is, but for some reason you're determined to disagree with him.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

neil wrote:If you go on espn.com, X is one of the top three players for Sunday!

Should be #1 without seeing other plays. Might be a bit biased though.
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Couldn't agree with you more, TP. Powell can be frustrating to watch, but I think I'm correct that he wasn't born as a PG, and has been asked to carry the load. Disgusting is not an appropriate description for this kid.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RF1 - Put a sock in it. We don't need this crap after a fantastic win on the road. We all know this will be a challenging season but I for one am grateful to have a well coached, hard working team to support which quite frankly has been a long time coming. We definitely need an upgrade at point guard which is coming. Powell does not create easy shots for anybody (ok - that 3 for Nik in the 2nd ot was a good pass) and he is just too small to go in the lane like he insists on doing. The Loyola game was brutal because the team really should have won and today was trending the same way. Congrats Rhody and to Dan Hurley for his first of many wins here at Rhody. I for one am proud of the effort that they play with and expect big things going forward with an upgrade in talent which is on the way.
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

neil wrote:If you go on espn.com, X is one of the top three players for Sunday!
link?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:I agree with RF1, and nobody believes more in the Hurleys than I do. What he is saying is not in anyway supportive of Baron (I don't even really get how it could be taken that way, honestly). It isn't unsupportive of Hurley on any level, either. Its just an acknowledgment that this team is really going to struggle to win games this year.

I don't really get URI96's point that started this discussion about doubting thomases or who he was referring to, either.

Gio, I'm usually right there with you on most of your posts, but I'm really struggling to see what point you're trying to make to RF1. You seem to be saying the exact same thing that he is, but for some reason you're determined to disagree with him.

TP, what did you expect? Did you expect this team to be 4 and 1? Or more than likely, if you were realistic you wouldn't have been surprised to see this team where it is? You have to get to a point to be able to compete to a level where you can be in games with solid teams, if not great, to complain about losing them. Would never happen in with Baron. We would have been beaten by 30 pts minimal every game with this roster, face those facts. So any criticism is ridiculous. 6 games, 6 weeks of practice !! Please be realistic. This staff has to put together a team with guys like Bigby and Brooks just to field a team. I don't want to here anything close to negative with what is going on. Please just watch the team run an offense. Hasn''t been done in over a decade in Kingston. Talent is not there to be greatly successful at this point. I know everyone here is a huge URI fan and certainly RF 1, but please leave the negativity at home. And I don't care if this team wins 6 games. I will look at improvement, effort and how they are coached.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Reading the Auburn message board is like deja vu all over again. They are complaining about Barbee and his coaching. "Why did Barbee keep out Jordan Price for so long in the last minutes of the game?. Why doesn't he play his best players? Why in the post game interview did Barbee not take any blame himself" etc., etc. Does this all sound familiar? Yea, but the sweet part for us Rhody fans, is that kind of talk is all in the past!

Great win for Dan Hurley and his staff. Just a super effort by these underdog Rams!!! We are proud of you all.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I will let this go, but TP or anyone, please tell me what you believe to be the tone of these posts? Negatives or postiives? Not trying to pick a fight, but reality. If you loved Baron move on, he was pathetic. Coach Hurley is here now. No not Coach Wooden, but damn good.

Another loss looks to be in the books. At least they make opponents sweat it out. It is however always a given they will find a way to lose.

This is getting annoying. Going to be a long year...

Going to be? Is already seems like it has been a long time. Extremely painful to watch this bunch. Other than Hare and Munford, I don't want to see anyone on this team get many minutes next year and beyond.
7.9 seconds down by three. Can they even get a shot off? I have little faith.

I guess you don't like reality. This team this year is bad and it will lose plenty more games. I am just stating the truth. This season will be very painful. Dan Hurley can't work miracles. There is just not enough talent, basketball smarts, and experience. Better days unfortunately won't start until next year. That is when the turn around begins.

Hardly a Baron smoocher. Just realistic about this season. Hurley gets a pass from me for this year. John Wooden would have difficulty getting wins from this team. I have no illusions about this season. I just wish we could get it over with as soon as possible and fast forward to next November. That will be when winning returns to Kingston.

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I agree with RF1, and nobody believes more in the Hurleys than I do. What he is saying is not in anyway supportive of Baron (I don't even really get how it could be taken that way, honestly). It isn't unsupportive of Hurley on any level, either. Its just an acknowledgment that this team is really going to struggle to win games this year.

TP, what did you expect? Did you expect this team to be 4 and 1? Or more than likely, if you were realistic you wouldn't have been surprised to see this team where it is? You have to get to a point to be able to compete to a level where you can be in games with solid teams, if not great, to complain about losing them. Would never happen in with Baron. We would have been beaten by 30 pts minimal every game with this roster, face those facts. So any criticism is ridiculous. 6 games, 6 weeks of practice !! Please be realistic. This staff has to put together a team with guys like Bigby and Brooks just to field a team. I don't want to here anything close to negative with what is going on. Please just watch the team run an offense. Hasn''t been done in over a decade in Kingston. Talent is not there to be greatly successful at this point. I know everyone here is a huge URI fan and certainly RF 1, but please leave the negativity at home. And I don't care if this team wins 6 games. I will look at improvement, effort and how they are coached.
I don't get your point. Nobody said they were surprised with the record and nobody has criticized the coaching. I don't think RF1 was being negative. All he did was say what you just said in less words.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

GREAT WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No we should have some great momentum for the week! Now if we can get a Giants win it will be an unreal evening!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hope I can post this without it becoming a distraction; it really is a nice gesture.

And if it bothers you, focus on this one

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Hope I can post this without it becoming a distraction; it really is a nice gesture.
Billy is a good kid. Not surprised at all.

Gio, I think there is a little bit of a disconnect here. I don't think anyone is being critical of the coaching or feels that this team isn't living up to expectations. I think most people understood coming in that this was going to be a bridge year and it may not be pretty. Just the same, it doesn't make watching the team lose close games any more enjoyable. The posts you highlighted here are just a reflection of that (and most of them were made when it appeared we were giving away another game). I think you would agree that losing isn't fun, no matter how much we understand why it is happening, right?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Taking a closer look at the boxscore:

33 minutes for Hare, 3 blocks, no fouls
Brooks may be starting, but he only played 12 minutes.
Won the battle for rebounds, 36-33
Powell played 47 minutes! No matter how things turn out for next year, he certainly can't say he didn't get a chance.
50% from 3 point land
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Given they will find a way to lose? This is getting annoying? Extremely painful bunch to watch? I have little faith? This team has given us plenty of reasons to doubt?

TP, please read the few posts I have and see if you can relate any of these type of comments to me. How am I saying the same thing? Please read before you post. Basketball knowledge comments , or lack there of are one thing by posters, but I am sorry you will not see the above type of comments for me. I don't care if we lose a lot of games, if I continue to see the effort, execution and improvement I have seen in a short 6 weeks, the season will not be painful to me. Not annoying. I will still have faith and I will have no doubt. I am in no way saying what RF 1 is saying. Please watch the games and see what is really going on instead being negative. Baron had 11 years and was a miserable person and coach and deserved every negative comment he got. If this program sucks in in 4 or 5 years, then use terms like "painful", "will find a way to lose", "going to be a long year" . If you really believe these statements are supportive, so be it, unreal. 6 games, 6 games, I see more promise than in 11 fricking long years. These kids are playing there hearts out. I hate to bring up the part of being a competitive athlete, but many comments like these are usually from someone who has never played in a competitive event at any level. I watched Jack Kraft win 5 games after dismantling a team to create the best URI team I have ever seen. Maybe I am too competitive and passionate about this new era, but that is me and I will defend this staff and team to all ends till they prove to me otherwise. Go Rhody!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP, I'm so sick and tired of your sanctimonious attitude.
I said Powell's PLAY was disgusting, I didn't say he as a person was.
You got made some kind of sub moderator, and you act like it's a Cabinet post.
Constantly talking down to posters, as if your somehow, better than us.
You want to pontificate, find a religious board to write on.
You don't like what I write? Too damned bad!
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

does anyone have a link to video of Munfords buzzer beater 3 pointer??? Was following the game on espn gametracker and really would like to see a video of it.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:Hope I can post this without it becoming a distraction; it really is a nice gesture.
Billy is a good kid. Not surprised at all.

Gio, I think there is a little bit of a disconnect here. I don't think anyone is being critical of the coaching or feels that this team isn't living up to expectations. I think most people understood coming in that this was going to be a bridge year and it may not be pretty. Just the same, it doesn't make watching the team lose close games any more enjoyable. The posts you highlighted here are just a reflection of that (and most of them were made when it appeared we were giving away another game). I think you would agree that losing isn't fun, no matter how much we understand why it is happening, right?

Fair enough TP. I just look at these comments as negative and unfair to a new regime. My view is, yes, nobody enjoys losing and morale victories last only so long, but I love what I am seeing with this team. I want to give the players themselves great credit and also I believe it is a great reflection on the staff and the attitude they have instilled. To make comments aforementioned, in my opinion, is not fair to kids or staff. Be happy, this team will surprises some teams in weeks to come.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

The best part about wins is when the people on the board start trying to scalp each other.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's a message board and some bozo wants us to act in lock step , and never try to offend anyone.
Please!
Talk about trying to be a damper on a great night.
Just go away!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

This one was the first Coach Hurley URI win; and feel good win for this group of players faced with much chance for heads down; yet, they still dig in make the plays when needed against a less than NCAA team to grab a win. This I would suggest this is one of those few we/ll get as a W, especially on the road. Lot/s of work ahead, but make no mistake, we/re going to be challenged in a major way to make an impact on upsetting the table in the A-10. As said on the radio, after the Loyola loss, 'every hoop we score is long hard effort, no easy hoops....................'and my concern remains, when coaches decide to take away X, where do we go for a score??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've said it before, if we're going to win, we have to have at least 2 of the 3 Ms have a good night. Tonight it was one with a great night (33), one with a very good night (19) and one with a decent night(13). Result:W....the numbers might be inflated a bit with 2 extra overtimes and I know there's a lot more to winning than scoring, but in our case, with our struggles to score points, it has to come from 2 of the 3 Ms.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote:This one was the first Coach Hurley URI win; and feel good win for this group of players faced with much chance for heads down; yet, they still dig in make the plays when needed against a less than NCAA team to grab a win. This I would suggest this is one of those few we/ll get as a W, especially on the road. Lot/s of work ahead, but make no mistake, we/re going to be challenged in a major way to make an impact on upsetting the table in the A-10. As said on the radio, after the Loyola loss, 'every hoop we score is long hard effort, no easy hoops....................'and my concern remains, when coaches decide to take away X, where do we go for a score??

Regardless, this is a great win and the first of a new era. If Jim Baron team won a game at Auburn after being in place for a decade everyone would call it a solid win. Please don't look to the fact we will not challenge in a very, very good A10, but the fact we will compete and these young guys are already improving and have played their hearts out since day one and are setting the stage for greater and bigger things they will never get credit for. I totally appreciate their effort and have no problem paying for a ticket to see this team all year long. Can't say that for the last 13 years.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Fantastic! X was awesome and I hope he saved some for Wednesday.