Game #6: Auburn University

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Game #6: Auburn University

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I will be there tomorrow! Anyone else going? Maybe Malone gets pumped up against his old team?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Auburn

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hopefully the atmosphere will be a lot less hostile than it could be if it wasn't Thxgiving weekend.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Auburn fans will be sulking over their thrashing by Alabama. They trail the Crimson Tide at halftime, 42-0!!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Sorry to deviate for a moment but it's amazing how bad Auburn football is just a couple years after a national title. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Cam Newton made Gene Chizik that's for sure.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I hope they at least stop by the football stadium for a photo op and make the scheduling mistake and trip at least a little worthwhile.

Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Not to crap on the former coaching staff too much but what is with the scheduling of this game? Team has played 3 times in the last 6 games and you schedule another game two days later? It was Baron who signed up for the Hall of Fame tournament, right?
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Auburn basketball fans seem a bit unhappy with Coach Barbee (ex Umass).
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

yes this was an inherited part of the schedule (Carr touched on it last night saying it's something they inherited and it sucks)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe CFL knew he'd get fired and decided to screw the school and the new coach?
Nah!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

rodfromcranston wrote:Maybe CFL knew he'd get fired and decided to screw the school and the new coach?
Nah!
I think it's more likely Baron was/is just an idiot.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I thought it was a "home coming" game for Andre Malone? I heard Baron could not get a date with GT due to their west coast tournament, GA State is already coming to Ryan this year and UGA's schedule was already set.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I got a chuckle out of one Auburn fan's view that the URI bigs will have a field day with the Tigers. What???!!!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

possible streaming link for tomorrow

http://apps.ohlulz.com/ncaa/?lulz=rtmp: ... skbl@31508
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

With all the talk about our schedule it is easy to see why our inexperience team is where they are
- first six games
NCAA qualifier
Acc
Big ten
Big East
NCAA qualifier
SEC

No team from this area has ever played an out of conference schedule like that. We play 11 games against teams for last years tourney. This year is brutal but two years from now this would be a great out of conference schedule. I hope we can keep this up when we are ready for it insteadd of playing one like the school to our North
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

+8

This is a winnable game.

I'm there btw. Probly behind the bench.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramtastico wrote:I thought it was a "home coming" game for Andre Malone? I heard Baron could not get a date with GT due to their west coast tournament, GA State is already coming to Ryan this year and UGA's schedule was already set.
Also was a "homecoming" for Dominique McKoy who was from the same HS as Malone but did not fit into Hurley's plans so he is now at Cowley County Community College in Kansas. Also URI was hoping to land Robert Carter from Atlanta who opted instead for Georgia Tech - has been an immediate starter as a Freshman for Brian Gregory averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds in early going.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jordan Hare gets to visit Jordan Hare stadium

Andre Malone comes home

I lean to URI + 8
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't know what Carr and everyone is whining about, this is my favorite schedule out of every ooc we have had since I started coming on these message boards in 1998.

I guess my problem isn't really with Carr so much as it is with him getting Steve McDonald started on the radio with the crying and the hand wringing jimmy baron style.

All it took was the mere suggestion that this was a tough schedule by Carr and McDonald completely took the bait. I honestly thought we had heard the end of the lamenting and excuse train when baron left town, please don't start that up again.

I would rather go 0-11 against the number one ooc schedule in the country than go 9-2 against the number one cupcake ooc schedule in the country any day. It has nothing to do with the A10 schedule and Rhody has been in every single game except one so far. I say do this every year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The issue wasn't so much about playing Auburn as it was the playing a Friday night game in RI then playing a mid afternoon game on Sunday in Alabama. Travel/turnaround time, not the opponent.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Exactly. Schedule, as in dates/times/locations. Not just the opponent.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sorry, on the radio it came across as the typical whaa, whaa, whaa we've been listening to for 14 years. I heard 'these poor kids' , 'need a confidence boost' , 'brutal schedule'

Because they lost, I get it. But they don't need excuses, they are playing great, way ahead of where they ought to be.

They got a chartered flight to Alabama, correct? To play almost 48 hours after the last game about four hours by plane away. Some if these guys aspire to play in the NBA. What are they going to do when they are traveling coast to coast for five months every other night?

I realize the Rhode Island can't drive for 30 mins mentality permeates every aspect of our collective lives, but lets get real here.

When it comes to ooc, the tougher the better. The path to the NCAAs is thru the A10. You saw what feasting on cupcakes and trying to win an at large bid that way with baron for more than a decade brought us. This team has grown in leaps and bounds in just two weeks by facing the school of hard knocks. Carr may be a great great guy by all accounts but he hardly fits the hurley's hard nose image by defaulting to all of the blubbering every post game. This team doesn't need excuses they are doing fine.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, maybe Rhody won't be going to the NCAAs this year and maybe not even the NIT. But, you know most of the teams left on our schedule have no desire to play this team right now because you know every game has the potential to be that first win, including tonight. There is plenty of finger pointing right about now about which genius put URI on their schedule. That beats W's and L's at this stage of the game with this program.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

agree, jcru, URI does not need to go down this path.
Here we are proud of our practice drills, guys who can't cut it drop off the team and transfer, illustrating how tough the Hurley practices are, etc.
Whining about the schedule just seems to be hypocritical to our strategy up to now.
Here it is a Holiday weekend, Play on Friday Night at home (not like it was a road game) and then go to Auburn to play at 5pm EDT. Most likely it was an easy flight from TF Green (35 minute bus trip from Kingston) then a 2 hour 30 minute flight to Atlanta then a 1.5 hour bus trip to Auburn. No connecting flights, Holiday Weekend - games two days apart.
Now there is all this blaming Baron and the Scheduling. Like Obama still blaming Bush for the economy.
The rule for the Players should be "no whining", the rule for the Coaches should be "no whining".
I think URI wins this game today anyway.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I love our schedule. Hope we play one like this every year. No more cupcakes (especially since Hostess is going out of business).
After Friday's loss, I bet the team is eager to play again, as soon as possible, anyway.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:I hope they at least stop by the football stadium for a photo op
And they did

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thoughts on today's game:
Starting Line Up should end up being:
Hare, Brooks, Malone, Munford, Powell

Off bench
Malesevic, TJ, Aaman, Bigby

Powell - needs to look to pass more, involve the other 4 players, try to get the team running, take the 3 if open as in his 5-6 game at Mohegan. If he feels his shot is off then he should back off taking it. We can't afford 1-11 shooting as he did last game and expect us to win very often.

Munford - Jonathan Holton hit 16-86 on 3 pointers for 18.6% and he took a lot of heat from this board and in the press as to how terrible a 3 point shooter he was. Xavier hit 90-241 for 37% on 3 pointers last year and 66-87 on Free Throws for 76%. This year through 5 games Xavier is only 7-37 for 18.9% on 3 pointers and 8-12 for 67% on FTs. His past would indicate he can double hit percentage for 3's. But, if he is not on in his shooting he should give the shots to others - just as with Powell we can't win with such poor shooting from our guards. Makes me wonder if Powell and Munford are simply getting too many minutes and need to have some time on the bench to watch the game and think about their own play and how it is affecting the team. At 38 and 37 minutes that is a lot for these two guys. Munford is due to get hot, look out of Munford, Powell and Malone all get hot in the same game - it could happen today.

Malone - let him play 35+ minutes today. He left Auburn 2 years ago and there was not a lot of friendliness between Andre and his former Coach Tony Barbee. Andre is going to really want to show his game against Shaquille Johnson, Noel Johnson and Jordan Price - all of Atlanta. He will have family and friends there to watch him play on this Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. Andre is going to also want to show Auburn fans what he can do. I hope he has a great game today.

Hare - Jordan is a rebounder and shot blocker. His 8 offensive rebounds represented a good total number of rebounds in a game, nevermind tht they were all offensive,,,,,but then add the 8 defensive rebounds and shows what a special talent we have here at URI. Just wish that Holton was here. Imagine the rebounding potential of a front line with Holton and Hare which we almost had. Holton led the A10 in offensive rebounding as only a Freshman and was 3rd in A10 in total rebounds. Add in Billy Baron at PG and we could have salvaged a pretty good year this year. We may not have gotten Mathews if Billy had stayed, now Mathews can start as a Freshman, so I don't regret Billy leaving but it would ahve been good for this year....oh well. Jordan has great potential and the Hurley's will pull that potential out of him. As with all Freshmen consistency will always be an issue but this kid can be something very special for URI. As other recruits like Mathews see what Hare is doing here they will only become more excited about coming here and see the potential for future years.

Brooks - Hurley is coaching him to rebound and block shots. If he stays in the game and aggressive then Malone, Powell and Munford can supply the offense and points. Brooks just needs to play his role to a T.

Off Bench
Nik - not bad to bring him in as a 6th man, I kind of like it although personally I would prefer him in the starting lineup than Brooks, but so be it and I'll follow Hurley's lead here. Also tends to keep him out of early foul trouble and Hurley can see how the 5 starters are playing and be selective as to bring Nik in for.

TJ - hope his injury is 100% ok soon. TJ played his heart out every game last year. Even in the last game of the season TJ was giving 100%, diving on the floor, given the assignment of the opposition's best guard to defend. He is a leader, led his Michigan team to 2 state championships. He is a winner, a leader. His shot is not his strength but leadership and defense are. I would not hesitate to put him in for Powell.

Bigby - good role player, good guy to have on the team to give us some depth

Aaman - Can also sub him as the game goes. If Hare gets in early foul trouble he can come in and give relief, he can also come in for Brooks and allows Hurley to keep pressure on Brooks to perform - otherwise "Aaman is coming in for you". Good team player.

Today could be URI's first win, but Auburn has a deep bench and a lot of athletes. Shaquille Johnson may be the best dunker in the Nation - only a Freshman he is a highlight film all to himself. URI can't let him get going, same with Price.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I also hate the whining . Today's headline "many of URI's issues inherited by Hurley" made me gag. Program needs to get past the blame game. uRI just blew two winnable games. Baron had nothing to do with that. I've hated the 2 years of Keno bashing and don't want to live through 2 years of Baron bashing.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy,
I had the same exact feeling when I read that article this morning as well.
I don't even know what the specifics of the academic issues were.
But the part about the scheduling just sickened me.
The team has shown flashes and has worked very hard. You are right that the last two games were very winnable and in fact should ahve been won.
Losing Baron and Holton made for this to be a difficult year so be it.
If people expected a lot more like a post season bid or to make the A10 Tournament then the expectations were too high.
This season is about building and getting prepared for next year and the year after.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wait, we've just crossed the line of idiocy, here.
Comparing Holton to Munford is just that!
Holton was 6'9" and needed to be near the basket, instead of thinking he was
Kevin Durant.
If you bothered going to the games, or watching them, you'd know Munford isn't forcing 3's.
He's playing within the context of what the defense is giving him.
I'd like to see him go to the basket, instead of Powell. At least he can get shots off.
Bringing one of the only guys who contributes any offense off the bench is equally ridiculous.
Why? So the ultimate non offensive player, Brooks can start? I'd rather see Aaman get Brooks' minutes, since he needs
to develop.
You say we blame Baron for leaving a pile of shit, and then cry because Billy and Holton aren't here.
You can't have it both ways.
Iggy always loved Baron, so I'm not surprised he cringes when his hero is bashed in an article.
Fact is, he left this program in worse shape than Jerry D did.
Amazing!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Also, for those who think this schedule is wonderful....
if they have a similar schedule next season, you're going to see the losses pile up.
Why? Because the staff will be trying to mold seven or eight new players
into a cohesive unit.
Don't believe that?
UCLA has the number ONE recruiting class in the USA for 2012.
They looked like nothing against Georgetown, and struggled to a win
in their next game. They also were lucky to win in OT vs. Irvine.
You have four players who only have played in practice or pickup games, and likely three or four
freshmen, adjusting to college life away from home, and college
level basketball.
As I've always pointed out, the number one prep player in the USA,
Lamar Odom, had a long process before his game resembled what was expected,
after he sat out a year.
None of these seven or eight players in in Lamar's class, so logic would dictate and
even longer intiation process.
I'd like to see some cupcakes in the OOC schedule next year.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I have to disagree there. I can't think of anything more entertaining than this baptism by fire. It's like every game is a first round NCAA game. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. I would get absolutely no thrill out if seeing this young team beat mother Mary sisters of the poor by 10 points just to have an artificially inflated record.

And the team is responding.

All Carr needs to do is come out after these games and say, we like the intensity we see, we like the effort, we are supposed to lose all these games by double digits yet we are in them till the end, all we need to do is learn how to close the deal, we're working on it, we'll fix it.

The end.

The LAST thing he needs to do is give Steve McDonald an excuse to have an all out cry fest on the air. He's had 14 years of practice of filling the dead time of his shows with that stuff, if you give him the opportunity he'll jump on it every time like a roast beef sandwich.

Don't give him the ammo, it's unbecoming of a Hurley coached team.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Thanks Rod, seriously comparing Holton to Munford.? Munford clearly has a nice stroke, just hasn't got it going or hit his comfort level yet. Holton, though a talented player, obviously those talents didn't include ANY type of perimeter play. Kid was just an absolutely awful shooter from day 1, but was allowed to believe he was Kevin Durant.

Yes, we haven't won a game and should have won at least 2, but this is easily the most enjoyable tea to watch in many years from a standpoint of being coached, disciplined and playing with all their hearts. They will learn to finish and win, someone or a couple will learn to be the guy down the stretch. Remember this is a team that is playing with Nik at the 4 and Malone at the 3 the majority of the time. These kid should be credited for having to play out of position and doing a good job.

Rod, many of people making negative comments were Baron guys till the very end, and yes he did leave the program in worse shape than Jerry D. While I don't enjoy losing, I am happy with the product Ihave seen and also the players that will be gracing this program in the coming years, that this staff has been able to attract.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"I have to disagree there. I can't think of anything more entertaining than this baptism by fire. It's like every game is a first round NCAA game. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. I would get absolutely no thrill out if seeing this young team beat mother Mary sisters of the poor by 10 points just to have an artificially inflated record."

I agree with this jcru
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

jcru wrote:I have to disagree there. I can't think of anything more entertaining than this baptism by fire. It's like every game is a first round NCAA game. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. I would get absolutely no thrill out if seeing this young team beat mother Mary sisters of the poor by 10 points just to have an artificially inflated record.
It's entertaining, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to develop and work in new (as in, new to the team and playing time) team, as opposed to letting them get a taste of success against weaker opposition. Like anything in life, I think some balance would be nice. As of today, the Rams haven't played a cupcake, and except for maybe Vermont, Brown and Georgia State, there doesn't seem to be many "gimme" wins on the schedule.

Right now, they're getting by by playing Powell, Munford and Malone 35+ minutes a night, and once you get past the top seven or eight - which is of questionable quality already - you mostly have walk-ons and "break glass in case of emergency" players. Again, I don't think challenging your players is a bad thing, but given what Hurley knew he had for a roster, I imagine he wasn't happen that 90 percent of the schedule was set for him when he got here.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:possible streaming link for tomorrow

How confident are we that this may work come gametime?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I went on the Auburn site and you have to pay $9.95 to get access.
Vermont isn't going to be a pushover. They have a good program and went to the NCAAs last season.
I don't think getting your brains beat out in a schedule is good for anything, unless you're a masochist.
Player's start to develop a losing psyche and attitude. Winning begets winning.
Syracuse never left the Carrier Dome in OOC, and UConn never had much of an OOC schedule.
How'd that work for them?
If this is next year's schedule, we're in for a lot of bitching and moaning, because
there are too many players making various adjustments to have much success before January.
When Hurley gets his players and has the team he wants, then go out and play
a killer OOC schedule. This year and next is clearly not the time for one.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

ATPTourFan wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:possible streaming link for tomorrow

How confident are we that this may work come gametime?
Any idea if the link will work? Deciding whether to buy a month at 9.95
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I want this program to be about the future not the past. Coaches don't look good complaining about the schedule.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i have no idea if it will work, that link is from the A10 board, I'm hoping it does
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

both links at this point aren't working

firstrowsportapp.com says buy downloading it could affect my computer
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: Game #6: Auburn University

Unread post by spookydog »

FREE Game VIDEO can be found here.

http://thefirstrow.eu/watch/155589/1/wa ... uburn.html

This video feed is confirmed working!!
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:I also hate the whining . Today's headline "many of URI's issues inherited by Hurley" made me gag. Program needs to get past the blame game. uRI just blew two winnable games. Baron had nothing to do with that. I've hated the 2 years of Keno bashing and don't want to live through 2 years of Baron bashing.
Any link to this article? Or any chance anybody can share quotes from the staff in it?
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Does the game start at 4 0r 5 PM?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

5:00 what's the link to Auburn's sight?
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Thanks Essam....I finally got it to work for me
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow I just looked at Auburn's schedule and opponents for the first time. This might be our most winnable game of the season so far.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

the link I posted works
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Video working for me too! Nice surprise.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

On the firstrow site I got a porn ad. On the other I got a blank screen. Twisted: you're seeing the game on that site? Free or fee?