Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe we'll luck out and he finished his semester OK and declares for the NBA?
No. Just thinking outside the box.
The rule only covers NBA leaves and transfers, or players coming back to graduate, like
Andre Malone.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think its about him finishing this semester in good standing....if he does and then leaves, and Watson inherits his scholly spot next semester and finishes in good standing then there is no hit. i think. but someone leaving this semester would be a hit, for transfer or any other reason.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:I think its about him finishing this semester in good standing....if he does and then leaves, and Watson inherits his scholly spot next semester and finishes in good standing then there is no hit. i think. but someone leaving this semester would be a hit, for transfer or any other reason.
Right. If leaving is followed up by him attending another school or playing professionally.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:I think its about him finishing this semester in good standing....if he does and then leaves, and Watson inherits his scholly spot next semester and finishes in good standing then there is no hit. i think. but someone leaving this semester would be a hit, for transfer or any other reason.
Right. If leaving is followed up by him attending another school or playing professionally.

If someone leaving signs a professional contract it does not cause a hit to the APR.. that is why UConn has gotten away with all the transfers they have had...
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

UConn didn't get away with anything. They were banned from post season last year
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

After decades off abusing the recruiting process, by over recruiting,
year after year, and brizzing guys constantly.
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Iggy1979 wrote:UConn didn't get away with anything. They were banned from post season last year

4 years ago they graduated 25%, then the following year 11% and the following year 8%. These rates do not impact the APR because of the "signing professional contract clause" or they would have been disqualified for more than one year... I would say they got away with a lot.
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Mentioned this before, I think he left RI before the official drop period ended. Could be that he "dropped" all his courses, left school for either family reasons or maybe medical and it would not be a hit, because it is as if he never was in school. ???

PS When I say medical, let's just speculate that he had a medical situation related to mental health- Stress related to home situation etc.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In KMAC's article in today's paper, he stated that Hare is unlikely to return to the program. I don't if he has new information or if this is purely a guess on KMAC's part.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! There's news. Not.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! There's news. Not.
Well, I've seen people say that was unknown if he was returning. Jordan stated that he was looking forward to returning. This is the first time I've seen the word "unlikely" used.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Even Monday, some local media types were saying that "the door is open", but that's not answering the question of whether he will return.

I can leave my front door open for all of December, but that doesn't mean that Elvis Presley will walk through it some day.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well we should know something definite soon.

If he isn't back by the start of 2nd semester, that's it.

I know it's unlikely he's coming back, but I want to hear it from Hurley one way or the other. Hopefully he's got his grades in order at the very least.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

what a joke this is. At this point there should be a definite answer.
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

During the last game, Abu Bakr the Cox color guy starts going, "Oh, and we haven't even talked about this team missing Jordan Hare, we need to discuss that, I'd like to talk about that...", and Eric Frede cut him right off, completely nipped that in the butt, thank God.

Yeah, like during the most exciting action packed game of the year we need our color guy going on a 3 min soap opera hand wringing session about how Jordan Hare is screwing up the URI season and that's the big explanation that URI hasn't had more success. Really? That is soooo Jim Baron excuse train, it's not even funny. We don't need excuses. Just comment on the freakin game or get someone else to do it, no one cares about your opinion on Jordan Hare during the middle of a dog fight game.

Talk about annoying.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What does URI's semester calendar look like? When are first semester exams over?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:what a joke this is. At this point there should be a definite answer.
My hunch is that there is a definite answer, its just not public knowledge at this point.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In the new world of APR, you leave the door open technically and support the student so they can complete their semester's academics.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Jordan had zero intention of ever playing basketball at URI again, why would he bother to finish his classes?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Abu has done some NESN work. Maybe he's looking beyond URI
broadcasts?
That interview with Oneykaba was a bit strange, too.
We don't need excuses. We need execution.
You know.... play defense....move the ball on offense......put the bawl in da baskit.
I'm sure everyone inside the athletic program knows the score with
Hare. They won't say anything until after the semester or whenever Hare withdraws from school,
or comes back, or whatever......
As for him finishing his semester, maybe he feels that's the least he owes the program.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

classes end Monday, exams begin Thursday the 12th
GO RAMS
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Even Monday, some local media types were saying that "the door is open", but that's not answering the question of whether he will return.

I can leave my front door open for all of December, but that doesn't mean that Elvis Presley will walk through it some day.
Don't be cruel
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wouldn't Jordan want to do well academically this semester, so that he'd have the best chance of maintaining eligibility if/when he transfers to another school closer to home?

If he just bolts and gets garbage grades, might he hurt his eligibility even if he intends on playing hoop elsewhere?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Even Monday, some local media types were saying that "the door is open", but that's not answering the question of whether he will return.

Don't be cruel
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know we've been over this before, but if we had Hare, he would be making a difference in this team's performance.

Just his shot blocking and shot altering ability would have made the overall defense better. How many shots does this team block? Not many. Any improvement in his offense would have just been a bonus too.

That plus the extra depth on the front line. Any difference at all would help win a close game or two. Especially against a team like PC that has a good front line.

I'm sure Dan didn't expect him to have to leave the team. If that sounds like an excuse, well it's a legit one this time.

Looking at O's stat lines lately, I can't imagine Jordan's being much worse. The talk about O dominating Hare in practices before the season, well where is that now?

Again, imo Jordan Hare would have been a better player than Iffy this season. From what I've seen so far anyway. Let's just hope O does fulfill his "potential" in time.

If this rant ruffles some feathers, so be it. Again, I call it like I see it. If we had had Hare this season, this team would be better, bottom line. We might have reached 20 wins with him. Without him, no chance. 16-18 best case scenario now. And that's with expected improvement.
Last edited by rambone 78 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

agree with that train of thought Bone, at least he would have been a deterrent. look the kid had a game with 17 rebounds and 8 blocks last year....i dont give a shit who we were playing (Loyola I believe), we might not have a guy that can put up those numbers right now with no one else on the court. At worse his height would be a deterrent to slashing guards who now can attack our rim without impediment. I do think he would have helped, for sure, and that is putting aside any offensive improvement. His court awareness and presence was much better in Italy, and would have translated regardless of the level of competition. That said I am not down on Iffy at all, he is what he is at this point, a raw player with great physical tools, good hands and feet and a lot to learn in terms of skill and finesse around the basket. In time he will contribute for sure, for now whatever he gives us is a bonus. Just because we need him to be more doesn't mean he is capable of that, YET.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wonderful. Save it for the msg boards, though, we don't need to hear that in the middle of a game where the kids who do want to be here, are in the middle of war on the court.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I give a shit about the guys we have on OUR team!
This whining, and "Oh, if Jordan Hare was only here" bullshit, is
NAUSEATING!
Has anyone thought that he's let his teammates down, and put himself and his personal problems
ahead of his team, his coach and the program?
I am so tired of people here acting as if URI has done something wrong, when all they did
was bend over backwards to try to accomodate Hare and his girlfriend and child.
Let's cry about that idiot Holton getting thrown out of school and Billy bolting after
recruiting ended.
Let's fucking cry and moan about every injury and defection in URI history.
We're going into the biggest game of the year, and
people are sobbing over Hare not playing, as if he'd been here all year.
Cry for Mike Aaman, a kid who's busted his as from day one, and wants to play
so bad, but is limited by an operation.
Lastly, be fans of the guys who want to be here, not the one who don't!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The players are sworn to say nothing in these cases, but if you could hear what they were thinking and got a hold of one of them, you would probably hear something along the lines of:

<rolls eyes> Christ, not this shit again, he was a pussy who couldn't take it, took the free trip to Italy, and bolted as soon as practices started up again. End of story.

Let's cheer for the players that are here, working their asses off.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Yes! Let's pause on this Hare convo. We play PC tonight!! There is an appropriate time to ask questions and speculate. Today is not that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Having an athletic 6'10" guy is just something this program has never had. Good luck finding another one. I know I was down on him at times last year, but you could see the improvement from last year even in the open practice.

By the time he would have been a junior, the difference would have been huge for this team. I will GUARANTEE you Dan knows it too.

This program is still going to get to where we want to go eventually. Just not as fast as we thought. Losing Hare makes the job just a little bit tougher.

P.S. Rod...I know he let the program down. That's not the point here. As FANS of the program, we want the program to do well. We all want to win. He would have helped. If it sounds like sour grapes or whining, you're right. IT SUCKS TO LOSE HIM, especially now when he's needed the most.

One last thing: I'll bet you would gladly take him back in a nanosecond. I would.

jcru, are you SURE they would say that? Do you think they would say that right now? I doubt it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

this is a msg board, and this is the appropriate place to discuss something like this. you dont like it dont read the posts about it. no one has blamed URI for anything to do with Hare, nor are we blaming Hare bc at this point we dont have the facts. but talking about how he could help us is clearly in bounds here. no matter what day it is, until he is officially gone from the program.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Obviously, for some, hand wringing and crying over spilt milk, comes before
what's going on today.
Wonder if PC fans are crying over losing three players who are all better
than Hare?
If you think our players and coaches aren't pissed about being let down, you're delusional.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I am SURE they are, Rod. I would be too.

I just want our team to be better. Pretty simple, really.

And if people think Hare wouldn't have helped, they are delusional.

In a few years, this won't mean shit. Right now, it does though. And I care about the here and now, and not just the future.

For some of us, the future just can't get here soon enough.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Since we don't know details of Hare's issue, how do we know that he doesn't want to be here? If he's got people pulling at him from Michigan that he needs to be there to help support and raise his child, that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to be here. We don't know. If he actually is choosing to stay home to work and support his young family, I applaud him. I'm now sorry I brought this up again. I just thought that McNamara using the word "unlikely" was different than what we had previously heard.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

You're right. There are no thought police here. You can continue to write about whatever you would like. I think most of us have other things on our mind today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Rod,JCRU - Let down his teammates and coach may be true. Faced with the choice of family (kids) or work or team. I would try my best to help both but my family comes first.
I know a little about Jordans problem and I can't say that he is wrong. Family first. Are you saying you would pick team ahead of your family if their was a serious problem?

Kick butt tonight. GO RHODY
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, at some point there will be a statement from Dan about the situation, that will hopefully end all of the speculation, one way or the other.

When that happens, it's over. Moving on.......
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

URI-PC game day, and 30 posts on a guy who's not even on the team.
Glad to see we're focused on tonight.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Let's take RoadyJay's advice and suspend this conversation for now. I have plenty more opinions on the Jordan Hare fiasco, as I'm sure all his hand wringing apologists who are dying to defend someone now that Jim Baron is gone, do as well. Old habits die hard, I get it.

After the weekend, Rhody will be idle, correct? Let's all call a truce until after Sunday, and then we can all have it out and blow steam about any topic you want, including this one.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obviously, tonight's game is #1 on my mind. When we've had bad teams, I didn't care if we went 1-28 as long as that win was against PC. But yes, I'm still interested in the Hare situation. 6 hours 'til gametime, now I'm getting ready for tonight.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

half of the 30 posts are people bitching about posting about him.....
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

He never showed anything that he would make that big of a difference if he was here. Anyone saying otherwise is just speculating which is the same thing they did with all these transfers they assumed would score 15 points a game. It is so easy to assume he would be a factor this year but just because he scored 20 a game in Italy that doesn't mean it would translate at all to this year.

And, without knowing the details, I have a hard time accepting the fact he quit on his team. That might sound harsh, but even just looking at the fact that he wants to help raise his child..I have a hard time believing dropping out of college when you are going for free helps in any way. At the very least get a degree and start making a good salary out of college instead of the 25k a year someone without a degree will make. Dinno Daniels lived with his child and gf in URI graduate housing...there are ways to get it done and still get your degree. Of course I know no details so I'm sorry if it's something else going on where it actually makes sense to go back to Michigan but I have a hard time seeing any situation where that is the best choice.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We do miss Hare badly, watching iffy at times is very frusterating
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

No disrespect to other people and their opinions, but when you have a guy that's 6' 10" and showed last year that his size was a factor in not only blocking shots, but in forcing people to alter the trajectory of their shots there's almost no doubt that he would have been a factor this year baring an unlikely freak season ending injury of some kind.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Couldn't agree more, Dude.

After games like last night, where we're on the losing end by a point, having Hare imo makes the difference between a W and an L. I know there are tons of other factors in play, but simple common sense tells you that.

There will be more close losses later this season. We know that. However, there would be LESS of them with Hare in the lineup.

And yes, I also know other teams are missing players too, but I'm concerned about OUR team, not theirs.

OK, I'm done talking about it. It sucks. Unless he comes back.....
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In life, you can rent all sorts of things. You can rent cars, apartments, tuxedos, TV's, boats, lockers, movies, and sometimes even college basketball players.

For one year.

And then they leave when they see the opening. Sometimes it's for the NBA, sometimes it's for home.

18 year old girls have no trouble "getting over" guys in this day and age, why can't middle age men?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

jcru +1!

"18 year old girls have no trouble "getting over" guys in this day and age, why can't middle age men?"
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

jcru, try telling that to my stepdaughter [now ex-step] a little while ago, when she got dumped!

She will hunt you down!!!!