Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #4: Metro State - NIT Tip-Off - Monday Nov 18 @ 8pm

Unread post by TruePoint »

Is KMac in Arizona? If he is, credit where credit is due. We knock the projo for not making it to Kingston for games, so I'll tip my cap if they sent their #1 guy across the country.

On the game - the more I think about, the more unbelievable it is to me that Metro pressured us full court so much in the second half. It allowed us to use our athleticism advantage in ways we can't always do in the half court. Had they not done that they probably would have won the game.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You might not have noticed, Justns, but it's not typical for parents of athletes to confront fans on a msg board. I've never seen this before on any site.

I admit I did what you said. I was spoken to by the board Mod. That's his job. I thought this was behind us as of last night. But obviously it wasn't going to be allowed to die because Mr. Powell was completely getting ready to make that statement above long before yesterday night. So, sorry, but I don't know what else to tell you. Get over it.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You want to let it go?

Because if you keep calling me out, I'll keep responding. I literally have all day, let's do it. Bring it.

Who's next? Wanna vent? Let's go.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't believe there's any sports message board of a team with a passionate fan base where players aren't criticized, sometimes unfairly. In fact, I don't believe the Powell criticism has come anywhere near his predecessor's, Marquis Jones, who was actually better than Powell. I'm surprised it bothers him that much.

Anyway, I've criticized Biggie's play but I do have to say at this point, other than EC, he's the one guy who has gotten better every game. Metro State may be a very good D2 team but they should have still gotten ripped. I understand the its going to take time thing, but I just think we should be better at this point than we are.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

j, I get where you are going with your 'debate', it sounds as though you may think Sr is stirring the pot because he thinks Jr should get the PT and using you as an excuse to join the conversation. I really don't see that being the case here, I think like many others Mike Sr had had enough. It's not that you have a differing opinion, its that you can't stop your bitching about it. Please shut it down for a while.

So you're basically threatening the rest of our online community and insisting on having the last word. PLEASE MODS PUT j IN TIME OUT!!!

If I responded to j every time he/she got me upset I'd never get to work, to the chores, to see my family etc... Those of us who have been quiet while he/she makes an ass of all of us have been quiet for long enough! And I refuse to be shut down by threats of lame brained response.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Best way to deal with ANY poster you don't like is to set them as a "Foe" which will hide their posts when you read the board. Just click on the PROFILE button under any of their posts and on the following page, under their avatar, you will see an option to ADD FOE.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think some of our struggles can be attributed to the Biruta and X injuries, but not all of it.

Like you, I don't think we're quite as good as the press clippings, so to speak. We'll get better for sure, but how good will we be, by the start of league play and beyond?

Again, just an observation. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This isn't a debate anymore. This is you guys taking free shots at me.

I got an entire playpen full of mud right here, let's wrestle.

Or, I could shut up. Pick one.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Shut up, would be my choice.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well then stop provoking. Drop it.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Your proper response should have been none.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will begin deleting posts that add nothing to this game thread, such as the two above this one.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Big 3 by Powell late in the 2nd half...you can do much worse than Powell as your backup PG if that's the decision DH makes at some point...he will still have several opportunities to contribute
Clapton is God
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

TruePoint wrote:Is KMac in Arizona? If he is, credit where credit is due. We knock the projo for not making it to Kingston for games, so I'll tip my cap if they sent their #1 guy across the country.
Yes, he is here. Good to see. I'll join in with the cap tipping.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would expect him to be here.

We're playing the number 5 team in the country. It's not much about us, it's the opponent.

Good thing we won last night. He would have been on the first plane out of town, if we had lost.

I expect Metro to beat Fairly Ridiculous by 20 tonight. If not, uh-oh.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

he went for the free trip to Arizona and a chance to see the #5 team in the country play. dont tip your cap to anyone, would you rather be in Providence covering the Vermont-PC game or in amazing weather on a beautiful campus with beautiful women about to watch a team full of NBA prospects play.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Understood, but the projo still had to foot the bill. Just trying to be fair. If we are going to criticize when we don't get coverage (and we should), we can at least acknowledge when we do get it.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I've been bitching that the ProJo doesn't provide the resources to cover URI BB adequately. When they finally step up to the plate and send KMac, we should acknowledge it. I'm sure Arizona's lofty status has a role in it, but the fact that the ProJo is spending the money while they are struggling financially is significant.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someday hopefully soon, they [the projo's writers] will become regular visitors to our games.

Results will tell. Right now, he's there to watch Arizona. And EC.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am struggling to understand why everyone about-faces what they're saying when they're called out.

Stand by it.

Mike Powell is a nice kid. No one is coming on here saying he's a bad dude at all. He's not a starter on this team. He makes some clutch shots. And then makes mistakes that you don't expect a junior to make.

I have a problem with people a) jumping all over jcru for his opinion and b) acting like mike powell's critics (OF HIS PLAY, NOT HIS PERSONALITY) are in the minority...if you're saying that you're either sucking up to another poster, or not paying attention to the game. Be a man and stand up and say what you would, regardless of who it's in front of. Mike Powell is not the best point guard on this team. He is a liability on the floor over 10 minutes because of his tendencies to force shots and drive deep into the lane and turn over the ball.

He has great moments where he'll hit a much needed spot 3 (like last night) and can defend adequately with his feet in spot roles. He is a role player. That's not an insult. that's not condemning him. It's just adjusting his expectations from being a starter.

This message board is a place where people with opinions about URI hoops come to share them, no matter what they are. Since Powell is an integral part of URI hoops, discussion about him is well within the lines of fair play.

The nice thing about critical fans is that when you get a standing O from them, you know you've earned it.

Mr. Powell. You raised an upstanding, good-hearted kid. That's saying something for the multitude of D1 players that exist out there. He's getting a scholarship to go to college. I certainly didn't, so again kudos to you and him. As a person he's one of the good ones.

He's just not as good at basketball as you've hoped. I'm nowhere near what my parents hoped I would be on a shit load of things. That's fine. Certainly in the world of sports.

But please don't come on the URI basketball message board and tell anybody here that the criticism of the starting point guard on the URI basketball team is unwarranted just because a personal friend or family member is on here. That's just absurd.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Small sample to date and stats never tell the whole story, but here is stat summary comparing Powell versus Minnis. Please note that Metro State game was the first game to have big difference in playing time for each player. In that game Powell got 13 minutes, Biggie played 28.

Code: Select all

Stat	              Powell	   Minnis

Playing Time*, Min.	     68	        77
Field Goals	             3-13 	     5-12
3 pointers	              3-9	       2-3
FT’s	                    2-4	       5-10
Rebounds	                4	         18
Assists	                 3	         11
Turnovers	               8     	    6
Assist/Turnover Ratio	   0.38	      1.83
Steals	                  2	         1
Total Points	            14	        17
* 4 games
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, the problem is not being critical of one player or another. The problems are (1) the relentless, repetitive and continuous harping on one player over and over again as if he is the source of all the teams problems and (2) that in particular jcru did go after him personally in the NC A&T thread, which made his continuing piling on even worse. Taking a critical eye to the game is well within the rights of all fans, but scapegoating certain players is not appropriate on a college basketball website. If you need to relentlessly rip someone to make yourself feel better, go join a Philadelphia Eagles board. Otherwise, when you post here try to treat the players like the student athletes they are.

Jcru has said he would move on, so let's let him and we can all move on to Arizona. It's a huge measuring stick opportunity for this program tonight. Let's not focus on this garbage instead of the game.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I wish we were more like eagles fans. Put a court room in the RC and make people legitimately afraid of coming in here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I haven't seen anyone personally attack any player.
We criticize their game. Period.
I had a friend, who really disliked Powell's game, and when Mr. P come
on here last year, he did a total about face and Powell was suddenly a
wonderful player. Or, at least that's what he said to Mr. Powell.
I had a real problem with that, because I knew it was not how he really felt.
If you say something, own it, don't put your tail between your legs,
or suck up like Eddie Haskell.( from Leave it To Beaver, for you younger posters)
Mr. Powell and I have had several go arounds, but I respect him standing up for
his son.
However, unless anyone is becoming personal, and it's confined to
commenting on the player and not the person, that's what a message board is for.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Point guard is much like the QB in football. Everything runs through them. So when it sounds like the PG gets more criticism than everybody else, it's because he does. Because he touches the ball more than anybody else.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, calling him a diva and insinuating that he was pouting when he was taken out of the game was not criticizing his play. It was attacking the kid. Period. It isn't appropriate, especially because it wasn't true. And bringing up and criticizing every single mistake a player makes during a game and every shot he misses is not something that was done about every player. It was done specifically about one player. It is tantamount to bullying.

I don't know how many times or in how many ways I have to say this: normal, reasonable observations about the basketball team will never be met with any resistance here, even if they are critical. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. It isn't about threatening to ban people or put them in timeout - we clearly don't want to do that. It's about having some class and being respectful of the kids that are busting their asses representing our school.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

!HOT BUTTON ALERT!: Was the "b" word necessary?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:Rod, calling him a diva and insinuating that he was pouting when he was taken out of the game was not criticizing his play. It was attacking the kid. Period. It isn't appropriate, especially because it wasn't true. And bringing up and criticizing every single mistake a player makes during a game and every shot he misses is not something that was done about every player. It was done specifically about one player. It is tantamount to bullying.

I don't know how many times or in how many ways I have to say this: normal, reasonable observations about the basketball team will never be met with any resistance here, even if they are critical. But there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. It isn't about threatening to ban people or put them in timeout - we clearly don't want to do that. It's about having some class and being respectful of the kids that are busting their asses representing our school.
+1
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP you seem to be taking one post and making it seem as if that's
the status quo, on the subject.
You know it's not. The people I've spoken to in the Athletic Department and
coaches in the program, have a very favorable view of this board.
If we were eating our own, they wouldn't. One post doesn't qualify as
hating on anyone.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

To be fair and honest, powell didn't get up to cheer once when he was taken out of the NC A+T game.

I don't know what we're counting as bullying, but facts are facts.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are allowed to criticize a player's game on here.

We aren't allowed to get personal on here.

Makes a ton of sense.

Mr. Powell should understand that too. Mike isn't the first player we've been critical of, and he won't be the last. He might not like it, but he should understand it.

What a player does or doesn't do on the court is fair game.

As for pouting, there has been MANY instances of that in URI BB history, and a lot of other teams' too. During Baron's time here, I think it was elevated to an art form.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In fairness, KMac is now the single college hoop writer for Projo. He does attend all games at the Ryan Center and significant away games as long as there's no "better" or "higher profile" game being played by PC at the same time.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I'm glad TP came in and laid down the law here. Jay and Rod, I understand where you're coming from but the narrative on Mike Powell has gone too far.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They have gone really bare bones, haven't they?

They are one step away from becoming totally irrelevant.

Wonder what happened to PK?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Moving on... let's see how last night's PLAY by the guards translates to the Arizona game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Best way to deal with ANY poster you don't like is to set them as a "Foe" which will hide their posts when you read the board. Just click on the PROFILE button under any of their posts and on the following page, under their avatar, you will see an option to ADD FOE.
ATP,
Is that what you are suggesting that Mr Powell do? I don't think it is that simple.
Mr Powell is concerned that his son is not getting a fair shake by some on this board.
There are many differing opinions on the Board.
As has been stated earlier by several posters, it is one thing to have a belief or opinion, it is another to continuously harp on the same storyline over and over like the more one says the same thing it just might come true. It's like putting up posters for a concert of something - some type of advertising slogan.

I said before the season started my line up would be:
Hare
Biruta
Munford
Mathews
Minnis or Martin - undecided
I also predicted Mathews would lead the team in scoring (1 other poster did too)
That is my guess like predicting anything in the world of sports - it's what fans do.
I predicted 15-16 - it's what the prediction contest asks for. I hope we win every game but also want to win the contest :)

But in the end, all will take care of itself. Dan Hurley and his Coaching Staff know far, far, far more than me, and bottom line in the end it is their call. I'm just a fan.
Many posters said Mathew's should not start, majority said no way should he be the PG this year. I knew better but I'd seen him in AAU too, so I kind of had an advantage. Believe me EC can play PG, SG, SF - but it's up to the Coaching staff ultimately to win, build team chemistry, give all of the players a fair chance, see what combinations on the floor play best together, give the Juniors and Seniors on the team the respect that they deserve, etc.
I also love Jordan Hare - I've said it before and don't need to repeat it often, and also need a helmet on here if I do say too many good things about him, But, this kid is much more than just a shot blocker and shot alterer.....he led the team in Italy with 15ppg and 10 rebounds/game - averaged a double - double playing about half the game. On top of that he is like an emerging market growth stock - potential is huge - yes, it is potential, but I like to bet on potential. I miss him from the team and hope everything works out for him.
As I said in another thread, Georgia State had the PG from Kentucky transfer in - Ryan Harrow (who was also at NC State before Kentucky.) Calipari recruited over him - he went home for his ailing father and was able to play immediately - NCAA. Senior PG Devonte White still starts along with Harrow - two PGs. I personally think the PG label is over discussed on this board - again just me. Let Mathews, Minnis, Mike Powell all battle it out but in the end maybe 2 or even all 3 see the court at the same time. Last night was Dan making an adjustment for the second half. I don't think Mike lost his starting job last night 2nd half - but that is up to the Coach. I like what Dan is doiing trying to give all the players a fair chance - good for him.
I agree with those who say Mike gives his all, he is a talented player and he deserves respect as Junior Student at the University of Rhode Island. He is not "Jim Baron's recruit", he is a member of URIs 2013-2014 Basketball Team. Jim Baron is not here anymore.
In the end, the Playing time will find it's own level as the Coaching Staff figures out how to win the most games. Maybe Mike hits the winning 3 tonight against Arizona - just win baby.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:In fairness, KMac is now the single college hoop writer for Projo. He does attend all games at the Ryan Center and significant away games as long as there's no "better" or "higher profile" game being played by PC at the same time.

He may now be covering hoops for all the local colleges but he will never approach the number of articles written by the Projo's most prolific reporter, SPECIAL TO THE JOURNAL. That guy seems to be everywhere and covers it all.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

You have to understand that Newspapers nationwide are losing money, and the smaller regional papers like the Projo are in the worst shape.

Anyway, I'm very interested to see how EC does against some very stiff competition tonight. He could show some flashes tonight that would give me huge hope for his future at Rhody.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote:They have gone really bare bones, haven't they?

They are one step away from becoming totally irrelevant.

Wonder what happened to PK?
PK now covers the Patriots for the Journal, I believe.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:he went for the free trip to Arizona and a chance to see the #5 team in the country play. dont tip your cap to anyone, would you rather be in Providence covering the Vermont-PC game or in amazing weather on a beautiful campus with beautiful women about to watch a team full of NBA prospects play.
BAR: KMac does not decide what trips he goes on and what trips he doesn't. That would be his editor, or his editor's boss. Believe me, sportswriters would be happy to go on every trip if the money is in the budget.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I would think he may have flown with the team for a fee
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

I have been on this board for many moons and can remember negative post about Lamar Odem so Mike Powell take heart and remember where this trash is coming from..
Mittenman
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Mittenman »

We are here in Arizona from Michigan. First, I want to say that Rhody played great in the second half. I think that Metro State could beat every D-1 team in Michigan except U of M or Mich St. They are just that good.

On a different note, I have been reading this forum for some time now and I always felt sorry for our guys if they played poorly. I don't believe in kicking a guy when he is down. Reading some of the post about MP, I am thinking that maybe he has not played as well as he could have because he reads this and it affects his game. Also it wasstated before that things would get better when the several Baron guys are gone. The last time that I checked, we only have two guys on this team from the "Baron era". Both TJ and Powell give 100% every time and they both have great attitudes. If these players were lazy, complaining and poor students, I would understand why some would write crap about them. But I must say that it is not just them. Biggie was on the chopping block last week when someone posted that he could not pass, shoot or dribble.

I would ask that going forward that people realize that many people read this forum and that our team is doing their best. These are still young men and we must set a better example. I am not calling anybody out, I am just saying that maybe if we were more supportive the guys might play better.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thanks for taking time to post, Mittenman. Welcome!

I hope there is no longer a need to extend this conversation.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Mittenman wrote:We are here in Arizona from Michigan. First, I want to say that Rhody played great in the second half. I think that Metro State could beat every D-1 team in Michigan except U of M or Mich St. They are just that good.

On a different note, I have been reading this forum for some time now and I always felt sorry for our guys if they played poorly. I don't believe in kicking a guy when he is down. Reading some of the post about MP, I am thinking that maybe he has not played as well as he could have because he reads this and it affects his game. Also it wasstated before that things would get better when the several Baron guys are gone. The last time that I checked, we only have two guys on this team from the "Baron era". Both TJ and Powell give 100% every time and they both have great attitudes. If these players were lazy, complaining and poor students, I would understand why some would write crap about them. But I must say that it is not just them. Biggie was on the chopping block last week when someone posted that he could not pass, shoot or dribble.

I would ask that going forward that people realize that many people read this forum and that our team is doing their best. These are still young men and we must set a better example. I am not calling anybody out, I am just saying that maybe if we were more supportive the guys might play better.
That would be me who said he could not pass, shoot or dribble after the first two and half games because he in fact could not do any of those things. He shot under 50% from the line and had many unforced turnovers. Is that a personal attack? Of course not. It's an unbiased observation. I did praise his open court awareness and effectiveness as well.

The whole they are doing their best is a lame argument. Of course, they are doing their best, nobody as claim anyone is tanking.

These students receive a free education to play basketball well and represent our university. The players want to be on the ESPN highlight reel when they do something special, but can't take constructive criticism of their bad plays? Sorry, can't have it both ways.

And why would a student athlete want to read our messageboard if it messes with their psyche? Ignore the noise.
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just one question for Mittenman. I'm guessing that since you are from Michigan and a Rhody fan, that you might know Preston. Are we(Preston) recruiting any Michigan kids at the moment? We have recruited one kid every year for the past three from Michigan, so I was just wondering if you've heard anything?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sweep, you couldn't be more right.

Of course, some would question the term "constructive" but it is what it is. Deal with it.

Every other board in the country has the same things going on. Check out the Canisius forum if you don't agree.

I love reading the Dayton board too. They are super knowledgeable fans, and can be brutal on their own players sometimes. Sometimes they are LOL funny too.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

In all seriousness for those who do not know/like my sense of humor, very tough game last night. Kevin M called it, said it would be a three point win. Those Metro guys had the proverbial D2 chip on their shoulder, and will beat FDU tonight.
Cannot believe the last time I was here was the 1/93 game we lost in the Lute Olson era(got to meet him, still attends all home games).
Realized when I was younger I should have gone here or ASU just for the women and weather.
Got to meet a few board members and Biggie's dad. Hope it was a turning point for him, really played the best I have seen since he was here.
AZ looked pretty scary, will be tough one.

BTW Mr Powell my last post was sarcasm!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree once more with Sweep.
If we can't comment on our how our players play,
then disband this message board.
If reading anonymous crap takes someone out of their game,
wow!
These kids have a pretty good life. Their own training table,
trips around the country, and this year, Italy.
As Dan says, a college scholarship for basketball is gold.
They have an existence that the average paying student can only dream of.
So, let's end the pity party and get back to discussing basketball.