Game #3: Ohio State - In-Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Game #3: Ohio State - In-Game

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bkrichmond wrote:More about the refs -- Jesus Christ. The fouls were 14-14. You guys sound like a bunch of whining PC fans.

The referees didn't lose this game -- they never do, in fact. Ohio State was 34-24 to the good on the glass. They were 32-17 better in second chance and points off turnovers combined. They forced nine turnovers in the second half. Their best player had 25. Go with those reasons. Don't blame the three guys in stripes.
I agree with this. Malesevic has a horrible move on defense, where he tries to draw the charge, but he always slides his feet to get the contact while the guy is in the air. It didn't work his sophomore or junior years either, so I don't know why he keeps doing it this year as well. I didn't think either block call on him was particularly close.

If you're going to complain, I guess you could take issue with the treatment of Powell as he brought the ball up. But I thought the refs were consistent, and none of URI's guards finished with a significant amount of fouls either.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodygirl2 wrote: If anyone else stayed for that game or watched on TV, did also see in the second half with about 5 mins left where it seemed that Hurley (sitting behind the basket) interacted with SHU head coach? Couldn't tell if it was supportive or arguing but they were definitely talking to each other during the game which was very strange.
I saw this tweet earlier,

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:
ace wrote:Any word on when TJ might be back?
Talked to him tonight, he said he's good to go for tomorrow.
Good news, thanks.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good effort today !!! We covered easily !!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

On the post game show Bobby stated that it's not unusual for the offense to take a while to show up, and that this week they simplified it, so they could become really good running those selected sets.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

HobbyBurley wrote:Great start. Can't believe the weak crowd. I heard the prices for the tickets were like $65 though, is that accurate? I worked at the Sun game a couple years ago vs. Oklahoma St (I was part of the promo team that did silly stuff during timeouts) and the crowd was much better (and wasn't nearly as expensive for a few of my friends to go)
Tix are $12 for 4 games.
And you can re-enter.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

that is not the #4 team in the country, but nonetheless a great effort by the rams

our execution is so much better than previous years, OSU was all over us and in the past we would have had 15+ turnovers against defense like that.

powell is still tentative when he gets in the lane, but all in all he played a very solid game with Croft draped all over him for 40 minutes

hare had 1 block that was elite status, he was 5 feet away and showed his wingspan to come out of nowhere and get a swat

brighter days ahead!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Watched the streaming of game. The Rams did great, but I think they can improve their defense against the 3 point play. There were too many shots by OSU that were uncontested or weakly contested.. Also, after a great first half with one turnover, the 10 in the second was way too many. Was this due to adjustments made by OSU or did the Rams just tire and get sloppy?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

My boy Powell had a great game last night, he was on the court for nearly all 40 minutes he did his job on offense and defense, he made only a few mistakes and caused OSU to pay attention to his shot. He just matched-up against one of the best PGs around and held his own. Give the young man his credit!!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How about Munford, blocking one of their bigs' shot?
I think this game was good for the confidence of the team.
Now, it could be a little fun from here going forward!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

oh yeah Rod, that was sweet!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think coaches do get togehter and yack often...........part of their code in the frat?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

URI will eventually win these kinds of games. Great effort.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article, the next few yrs will be an exciting time to be a URI fan
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

SOunds positive. Good momentum coming out of the weekend. Now it is time for a W.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano