Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Rams 2013-2014 Schedule

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I believe that leaves room for 1 more game, there are 30 there. I don't know if they will add on later or this is final
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I love that 10 of 14 Home games are on a Fri, Sat, or Sun!
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

adam914 wrote:Well this San Diego resident is certainly loving the number of nationally televised games!!
I was going to say the same thing! And - if we win in Arizona we could get another game or 2 on TV.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:I believe that leaves room for 1 more game, there are 30 there. I don't know if they will add on later or this is final
It does say in the release that they may add one more game.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

twisted3829 wrote:I believe that leaves room for 1 more game, there are 30 there. I don't know if they will add on later or this is final
The news release states "URI may add an additional game at a later date."
Slava Ukraini!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Am I correct to assume that our last 7 games will not be on TV, or could Cox-3 or whatever their incarnation is now called can still televise these games?
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

no mention of Cox games at all, I assume like the last few years they will televise all the home games
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

30 Game Schedule (allowed 31 games maximum with exempt tournament)

OOC (14)
5 Home
6 Away (assumes @ Arizona in NIT)
3 Neutral (with possibility that 2 could instead be home games at the Ryan Center)

A-10 (16)
8 Home
8 Away
H&H's with Dayton, Fordham, UMass, and St. Joe's
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I believe that this is the fewest pre-scheduled home games (13) since the Ryan Center opened. Appears that it is very tough for URI to get decent home games and there is not enough money to fill all the dates with pay games. My assumption is that URI is playing the odds that it will not beat Arizona and be named a host for an NIT non-MSG pod for two more additional home games. These NIT games however would be unlikely to be part of the season ticket package. Pricing the season ticket packages this year must have been interesting given there will be less games than usual.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! We season ticket holders will be sitting in on
a lot of pre-conference yawners.
Not going to bring in fringe fans to watch the product.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The real fringe fans come to see a winning Rams team. I don't know how many are up on the relative strengths of the opponents. I do agree that the names on the home slate are going to be a challenge to overcome, but in future years people will watch the games regardless of opponent if the Rams are winning all their home games.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

For now, it's wait and see for the ones on the fence.
They see an 8 win team, and will wait to see if the talked about
improvements are the real deal.
Look at the Syracuse pre conference schedule every year.
They rarely leave the Dome, and rarely play tough competition.
The Michigan States are rare, in that they go play anyone on the road, to
get tough. They may take some losses, but Tom Izzo knows his team will
be battle tested come tournament time.
When the program becomes a winner, then you'll see the bandwagoneers
coming to The Ryan Center, regardless of who's playing.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

according to Kmac, we are not playing Arizona in the first round but will if we both win
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

why is this NIT touney such a friggen mystery
GO RAMS
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Rhodymob05 wrote:why is this NIT touney such a friggen mystery
So we go to AZ to play two games but neither is Arizona??? If that's the case good thing I did not hit "purchase" on my airline tickets yet...
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramtastico, that's not what KMac said. He's saying we don't face AZ in the first round, so URI and AZ would both have to win to decide who goes to MSG.

I would think URI can beat any other non-AZ teams in that pod and AZ should beat whoever they play in the first round.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

OK, thanks. I am getting easily confused in my old age...
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

So our first game out there will be against FDU or "Mystery Team".
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI is not playing any BCS/Top rated schools at a neutral site according to schedule. That goal can only be achieved by making it to the NIT Preseason semis/finals at MSG.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Isn't there also value to playing BCS/Ranked schools in a true road environment, such as in 2nd game in Arizona vs the 'Cats?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Playing any BCS school is of value, but if you ever want a shot at winning the game then you have to prioritize your scheduling effort. Getting a home and home with a BCS school would be first focus, but since that seems impossible to do, your next bet is to get invited to a tourney at a neutral site or a special event at a neutral site. The beauty of a tourney is that you may get three cracks at a BCS school on a neutral court. The last option which is always the easiest to schedule is to play them at their home court. As I understand it, this is the scheduling strategy of the best programs among the mid-majors. They also minimize the number of true OOC away games.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! We season ticket holders will be sitting in on
a lot of pre-conference yawners.
Not going to bring in fringe fans to watch the product.
I look at the schedule as: 1. A fan of the program. 2. A season ticket holder who is spending a big chunk of his entertainment budget on tickets.
As number 2, I'm not crazy about the schedule. Maine, NH and Umass-Lowell?
I'm going to give DH a one-year pass on that. But in the past I've complained to Thorr and the powers that be about the non-conference home schedule so if this doesn't improve I would do that again.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

As usual, we're going to have to make our name on the road.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm 100% with Iggy on this one.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Aww how nice that we've giving a guy who inherited the worst URI team in a decade and made more out of them than anybody else would have, a one year pass.

We gave Jim Baron 11 years...but yeah definitely keep the guy who actually knows basketball, can actually coach and recruit, and literally the only reason anybody knows URI even has a basketball team at this point on a short leash.

It hurts my head to think of the "logic" that's applied to this program sometimes.

It's scheduling. Nobody can force another team to play them. If you're a big time program looking towards an NCAA bid, with a team that has as much press as URI has had - why would you take a true road game, against an opponent that could very well beat you, when you don't know if they're actually going to be good enough to not look like a bad loss come tournament time?

Let's make sure we complain to Thorr about how URI is having it's greatest donation period ever, we're upgrading our facilities to top notch, and that basketball is a priority.

Seriously - everyone supported Jim freakin Baron - literally the worst basketball "coach" since Naismith invented this game, was ok with "20 win" seasons, laughably weak schedules, and was patient without any shred of legitimate success for a f$&king decade - and now we have a guy who wants to win REAL games, isn't a bullshitter, doesn't believe in some "prawcess" - AND NOW WE'RE IMPATIENT...not even about winning but about a schedule during what could be one of the fastest rebuilds in the NCAA??

I just dont understand.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cut they hysterics. Jerry D had a better home schedule.
Why the hell is it if anyone questions anything, it
suddenly becomes a referendum on if they like/trust Dan Hurley?
This is a discussion board, and we're discussing the schedule.
So what?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm just lost on what more anyone could possibly want at this point in time.

Would you rather we suck so good teams come in to play us when they know they could win?

Of course Jerry D had better teams coming in to play us. They knew they weren't going to lose.

And when has URI EVER had a legitimately tough home OOC?

I don't pay money to see bcs teams play. I pay to see URI play. I don't really care who they're playing...especially in the 2nd year.

For the first time in my lifetime basketball is a legitimate priority in word and monetary commitment in the eyes of the athletic department and the school. They're paying the right coach the right money. They're upgrading the facilities. They have Nelligan. New floor. New team. Top rate transfers. We're in the recruiting discussion as an equal with BCS teams.

I'm completely bewildered by the sentiment on here that Dan and his staff...with everything else they're doing 100% first rate...didn't do absolutely every single thing in their power to put together the best schedule they could've.

The idea that he's put all this effort into every single facet of this program from players to assistant coaches to practices to training staff to facilities to the freaking band and cheerleaders....and somehow just neglected or didn't put any effort into bringing good teams into the ryan center...is flat out moronic.

If you do believe he did everything in his power to bring good teams in here - then what are you complaining to Thorr or anyone else for? Write to other schools that won't play us and call their coaches a bunch of bitches and pussies.

And that being said...are we really going to be so selfish that we're gonna complain because we don't get to see BCS teams come play here this season? Ya know...because those revered games against stony brook and holy cross really got my motor running during the baron years. The overall OOC isn't a bad schedule at all. Zona, LSU, detroit as legit road games. PC is going to be GOOD. Possibly more to come.

It's year 2 of this rebuild. This TOTAL rebuild. Most teams are hoping to improve by 3-4 wins at this point AT BEST. We're all talking about a 10+ win turnaround like its no big deal.

Grab a bag and breathe into it if you want to...but people are complaining like it's barons 8th year of us sucking, and nitpicking tiny things when literally everything is the best it's been here in well over a decade.
Last edited by Blue Man 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't see where ANYONE on this thread addressed ANYTHING BUT the home
OOC schedule.
I guess that makes us bad fans.
Whatever.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If someone needs to breathe into a bag, it's not me.
So, you're saying that UMass-Lowell was the best opponent URI could get for that date at the RC?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

The reality is that 99.99% of us won't know whether this was 100% tactical or 100% "we tried but no one will play us, especially at home". I'd guess it's probably somewhere in between the two. To whatever extent is was a proactive measure (I really find it hard to imagine that that was the *best* they could do), I take issue. This team is not young. It doesn't need patsies. It needs to face similar talent or even a little bit better to improve. For me, it's about how do you make a team better pre-conference and, selfishly, wanting to watch good games. Like I said, we'll never know how this came down, but it's hard to see it as anything but unfortunate.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I don't think criticizing the Hurley staff on the schedule is out of bounds. Let's face it, the home schedule is underwhelming. But let's look at it strategically - if I were coaching a young team I would want them to have an easier schedule and build confidence going into conference play too. It just makes sense. I, for one, would rather have our team play a few cupcakes and gear up for a run in conference than get beaten up by heavyweights and enter conference play on a losing streak.

This is a young team, they need a few wins to build cohesion and confidence.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Forget the schedule, forget Terrell.
The best news today is, the Ryan Center will be
selling New England Frozen Lemonade at all events!
Nothing better for throats that are sore from yelling,
than frozen lemonade!
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I prefer Del's.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

WHAT? Hurley has done such a great job!
Imagine complaining about lemonade! You're complaining like
it's Barons 8th year!
ACTUNG! Zer iz no zaying anyting bad! Zis is frowned upon!
You vil be sent to to the Eastern front!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't think good BCS teams will ever come play us at Ryan......pundits around the country are saying we are an improving team.....nobody wants to lose to a non-BCS school.....

We will have to play those games on the road or at a neutral site.....PC is more or less locked into coming to Ryan every other year although I believe they would rather the game be at the DDC every year....I think getting big name opponents on our home schedule will never happen....I think we should establish good regional rivalries with the best non-BCS schoos in the East...

...we should play those schools on a home and home basis yearly within a base schedule...say Vermont, BU, Drexel, Northeastern, and Quinnipiac every year....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote:I don't think good BCS teams will ever come play us at Ryan
I agree with this for sure. I remember Jamie Dixon making a comment after the early season Pitt game (or maybe it was at halftime, cant remember) a few years back saying something along the lines of "this is why nobody wants to play them". And that was with Baron as our coach.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote:I don't think good BCS teams will ever come play us at Ryan......pundits around the country are saying we are an improving team.....nobody wants to lose to a non-BCS school.....

We will have to play those games on the road or at a neutral site.....PC is more or less locked into coming to Ryan every other year although I believe they would rather the game be at the DDC every year....I think getting big name opponents on our home schedule will never happen....I think we should establish good regional rivalries with the best non-BCS schoos in the East...

...we should play those schools on a home and home basis yearly within a base schedule...say Vermont, BU, Drexel, Northeastern, and Quinnipiac every year....
Take three of these teams instead of Maine, NH and UMass-Amherst and it's an upgrade.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: Take three of these teams instead of Maine, NH and UMass-Amherst and it's an upgrade.
I presume you meant to say UMass-Lowell, not one of our oldest rivals.
Slava Ukraini!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

When losing to URI at home is viewed as a quality loss; it will happen. Teams like miss St, Noethwestern, Southern Cal will schedule home and homes.

Zero problem with a slightly less aggressive schedule in a year where DH is breaking in a ton of new players. Do the same thing next year and I would take issue. I don't see that happening though.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's still disappointing to see such a weak home schedule.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

seanmc94 wrote:When losing to URI at home is viewed as a quality loss; it will happen. Teams like miss St, Noethwestern, Southern Cal will schedule home and homes.

Zero problem with a slightly less aggressive schedule in a year where DH is breaking in a ton of new players. Do the same thing next year and I would take issue. I don't see that happening though.
This would be my viewpoint as well. Rebuilding isn't a smooth, linear progression usually, and it's probably better to schedule weaker teams for the inevitable bumps and bruises, assuming they even had the option of bringing in better teams.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

RHODE ISLAND

Toughest: NIT Season Tipoff (Nov. 18-19, Nov. 25-29), at LSU (Jan. 4)

Next-toughest: George Mason (Nov. 30), at SMU (Nov. 11)

The rest: Maine (Nov. 8), North Carolina A&T (Nov. 15), UMass-Lowell (Nov. 23), at, Providence (Dec. 5), at Detroit (Dec. 8), New Hampshire (Dec. 22), at Brown (Jan. 2)

Toughness scale (1-10): 6 -- Danny Hurley’s program still faces a variety of unknowns in its nonconference slate because so many things could happen in the NIT Season Tipoff. But that’s the Rams’ best chance to make some noise before Atlantic 10 competition starts. The rest of its nonconference slate is lukewarm but appropriate for a program that could finish near the bottom of the league again. A road game at LSU could be one of Rhode Island’s toughest games in 2013-14. And the program has to finish a nonconference series with George Mason with one more game, even though it’ll face the new A10 member in conference play, too. And the Rams will also play a surging SMU team in early November. Not the strong nonconference slate but it makes sense for this program.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... alysis-a10
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Another example of why this year in particular was very difficult to schedule "good" teams:
ESPN wrote:but appropriate for a program that could finish near the bottom of the league again
We have ESPN calling for a potential bottom quarter finish and other national guys (Rothstein, etc) calling for a no-doubt 20 win season for Hurley's Rams.

With so much uncertainty, good teams just don't want to take a chance on Rhody this year at the Ryan Center.
URIGONZO
ARD

ATP, I noticed the same thing. Forecasts for this team are all over the place.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will be involved in a lot of close games against good teams this year.

Last year, almost all of them went the wrong way.

This year, I expect us to win a fair share of those close games. We're going to lose a few of them, just hopefully not too many. That will determine what postseason tournament, if any, this team is in.

Last year's team couldn't make a shot when it counted, or shoot clutch free throws. That has to change. I expect it will.
URIGONZO
ARD

I'm interested to see the distribution of the prediction contest entries this year. Should be wider than in years past.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

URIGONZO wrote:I'm interested to see the distribution of the prediction contest entries this year. Should be wider than in years past.
Interesting. I think it's going to be narrower. Last year was 4 as a low and 20 as a high. The OOC is pretty easy. Much better players. I could see 16-24 as a spread. Maybe a few higher.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A few higher? That would be pushing it, for sure.

I think 20-22 would be realistic. That's NIT land. Around 20 regular season [around 10 OOC wins, and 10 conference], and maybe a couple in the post season tourney.

I might change that a little before the prediction contest, but probably not.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would say 22 wins, only a handful of teams get me nervous most in conference.
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

For me, anything under 16 wins would be disappointing. 16-20 would be meh .... Over 20 would make me happy, especially with a NIT bid. An NCAA bid would make me ecstatic, but I think that's a huge stretch, especially with this schedule. They'd have to finish in the top 3 in the league and play in the league championship.
Slava Ukraini!