Pittsburgh to host 2026 A-10 MBB Tounament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Pittsburgh to host 2026 A-10 MBB Tounament

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 men's basketball tournament is once again returning to Pittsburgh. The city has previously hosted the tournament six times with most of them being in the conference's early years when it had several members in the area (Pitt/DU/WVU/PSU). The last tournament hosted by the city was back in 2017 with Rhode Island claiming the championship.

Given that UMass is soon leaving the A-10 and URI is becoming even more of a geographic outlier with each new conference member add, you can likely expect that URI will be traveling further than it had in the past. The 2025 Tournament will be in Washington DC. The closest it may be to Kingston will probably be NYC as was the case this past 2023-24 season. It however appears in more recent years that the league is choosing Brooklyn less frequently as it had, appearing to instead rotate its location sites.
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Pittsburgh to host 2026 A-10 MBB Tounament

Unread post by adam914 »

Interesting to hear that Providence was a finalist in the bidding as a potential site. That would have been pretty cool.

And the off day in the middle of the tournament is out. I know that’ll make a lot of people happy!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago Interesting to hear that Providence was a finalist in the bidding as a potential site. That would have been pretty cool.
Providence has made previous bids but I don't think it has ever made the guarantees that other candidates have offered and that is not likely to change. Given the only other New England school is leaving the conference, I would expect the odds will now only increase that Providence never hosts.

The A-10 Tournament has never been held in New England despite two of its longest tenured members being located here. Philadelphia has hosted the most tournaments with venues in NJ (AC, Piscataway, Meadowlands), Brooklyn, and Pittsburgh also hosting quite a few (6 or more). Three tournaments have been held in Dayton and two in Morgantown, Cincinnati, and DC (with another upcoming this year).
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 4 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another probable host in future years will be the proposed Green City Arena located in Henrico County just outside of Richmond-VA. A 17,000 seat arena is planned with much of the preliminary work (land purchase, design approved) already done except for groundbreaking. With two member schools nearby (VCU and UR) that are typically near the top of the conference for attendance, it would seem a probable venue should it get built.
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I liked the Boardwalk Hall n AC.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Nothing beat the Palestra.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago I liked the Boardwalk Hall n AC.
I loved it in AC but that town is nowhere near the same.
Nothing but a bunch of empty high-rise hotels waiting for demolition like Trump Plaza.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 weeks ago Nothing beat the Palestra.

i agree - palestra was great and a fun weekend !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago The A-10 men's basketball tournament is once again returning to Pittsburgh. The city has previously hosted the tournament six times with most of them being in the conference's early years when it had several members in the area (Pitt/DU/WVU/PSU). The last tournament hosted by the city was back in 2017 with Rhode Island claiming the championship.

Given that UMass is soon leaving the A-10 and URI is becoming even more of a geographic outlier with each new conference member add, you can likely expect that URI will be traveling further than it had in the past. The 2025 Tournament will be in Washington DC. The closest it may be to Kingston will probably be NYC as was the case this past 2023-24 season. It however appears in more recent years that the league is choosing Brooklyn less frequently as it had, appearing to instead rotate its location sites.
Attendance at Barclays for the 1st round game this year was the lowest of any of the 15 teams and I saw all games at Barclays. Yet URI is an easy Amtrak ride from Kingston to Penn Station. Go figure.

There were about 5 URI fans dressed in Rhody apparel all the way through to the Championship game.

I thought our turnout this year was even worse than last year.

Not much incentive to keep the Championship location close to URI.