Random NIL thoughts

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Random NIL thoughts

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If your NIL is strong, arent the chances of players up and leaving the next year reduced significantly?

If a kids making $50k and can go make $250k, and you can only increase to $100k, of course it's probable they go explore those other opportunities.

Maybe you don't want to pay that for said player, but can you get to a point where you at least can entertain it? Or a reasonable counteroffer?

I believe that's the goal every program should strive for. And if you can, retention shouldn't be as much of an issue.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's not fool ourselves..

our top players will get poached by the better teams.... and more money

think about our last run..

under these rules we would have lost a few of the guys in our banner up above and not had the ncaa run and fun that we had...

ncaa ruined everything - good riddance..

i will go back to footy
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Coworker's nephew is a freshman at a D-1 big-time SEC golf program. Qualified for the NCAA National Championship this weekend in San Diego. Was just contacted by TaylorMade to use their clubs (currently uses another brand). They offered him $100k/yr to use the TaylorMade clubs.

True NIL money.
Mobley was fouled.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago let's not fool ourselves..

our top players will get poached by the better teams.... and more money

think about our last run..

under these rules we would have lost a few of the guys in our banner up above and not had the ncaa run and fun that we had...

ncaa ruined everything - good riddance..

i will go back to footy
Curious, why do you blame the NCAA for this?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

well, i don't blame the players and i don't blame the fans who decide not use their money for a player who has no obligation to stay

there should be more structure

should ncaa pay a salary to the player ?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago well, i don't blame the players and i don't blame the fans who decide not use their money for a player who has no obligation to stay

there should be more structure

should ncaa pay a salary to the player ?
I don't disagree there should be more structure, but every time the NCAA tried to place structure, politicians/courts shut it down as unconstitutional.

I dont think a court is going to agree that #1 at Kentucky should be paid the same as #13 at Longwood by having the NCAA pool a pot together and give out equal shares.

If conference revenue dictated salary, then there would be an even greater disparity than there is with NIL. At least in the NIL era, non-football schools can be semi-competitive because they don't have the distraction of funding football NIL to contend with.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago why can't people decide for themselves and not be called frauds if they decide not to donate ?

its just a question - because i really don't care if people call me a fraud or calls out other people here

the personal attacks are such a yawn - frankly seems immature to me..

sure once in awhile out of frustration is ok.. as "it happens" in the heat of amessage board..

but some posters - all they do is attack personally.. and i think to myself.. do i really care what you think of me ?

i have stated i appreciate the fans who donate, good for them.. and i hope they donate more - they bleed keaney blue more than me

i do very well financially, but i am not giving money to a player who could leave the following year

i am not letting that player use my funds to then ditch us - its more of a principle thing than a financial thing.. and i think that point gets lost by the people who donate..

i am not allowing the ncaa to stay rich and shame a fan (who helped make them rich by being a fan) into giving away money because they think my life is so shallow that i need sports to keep me happy.. i ditched the nfl years ago when they decided the American flag wasn't good enough for them and I haven't looked back - it freed up my sundays to do more fun things with my family so it was a win win for me

that really is what it comes down to for me

i have stated on numerous times, if that player commits to stay at URI (unless the head coach leaves) then i would be more inclined to donate

i see the landscape here.. and the tea leaves tell me .. you want me to donate $x dollars.. well once you go down that road then it will be $x times 2 next year.. and really.. what will that give me ?.. a player who will leave us for more money .. and me getting no return (i.e. ncaa) on my investment...

and apologies.. but no one.. will take away me being a fan of Rhody hoops.. i wil always be a diehard fan of the team.. and keep my coin to myself.. and its a lot of coins ....
If you don’t complain and don’t donate then that’s kosher. If you’re looking for the positive and rooting for the team and staff that’s being a fan.

The issue is the complaining about the team and then the subsequent refusal to do anything about it. If you have something to complain about while talking shit about donating to make it better, you’re a dick.

I think everyone should donate. If not, everyone should be happy with the team and accept where we’re at since you won’t do anything to improve our position.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I try not to judge other folks financial situation. I make a balanced decision in Mehta I donate to the school athletics vehicles versus what I invest in NIL advertising. I have lowered what I give to individual revenue sports because the school can fund those expenses. The school cannot fund NIL. So I shifted $ out of my budgeted donation amount towards NIL I do it because I want basketball to be successful and to do so they need a high salary cap figure to procure players.

Then I have another budget for buying season tickets, tailgating at football games, and attending away games for men’s basketball, women’s basketball, and football. These costs can be quite high and then I have to decide whether I want to cut something out because finances are not unlimited.

Everyone here is a fan but we all have different price points. I don’t disparage anyone because I don’t know what people can do within their philosophy of sports fandom matched with their finances.

I do want as many fans at games as possible. If attendance is high enough it will lead to more NIL from corporate and business entities because the fanbase is bigger.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago why can't people decide for themselves and not be called frauds if they decide not to donate ?

its just a question - because i really don't care if people call me a fraud or calls out other people here

the personal attacks are such a yawn - frankly seems immature to me..

sure once in awhile out of frustration is ok.. as "it happens" in the heat of amessage board..

but some posters - all they do is attack personally.. and i think to myself.. do i really care what you think of me ?

i have stated i appreciate the fans who donate, good for them.. and i hope they donate more - they bleed keaney blue more than me

i do very well financially, but i am not giving money to a player who could leave the following year

i am not letting that player use my funds to then ditch us - its more of a principle thing than a financial thing.. and i think that point gets lost by the people who donate..

i am not allowing the ncaa to stay rich and shame a fan (who helped make them rich by being a fan) into giving away money because they think my life is so shallow that i need sports to keep me happy.. i ditched the nfl years ago when they decided the American flag wasn't good enough for them and I haven't looked back - it freed up my sundays to do more fun things with my family so it was a win win for me

that really is what it comes down to for me

i have stated on numerous times, if that player commits to stay at URI (unless the head coach leaves) then i would be more inclined to donate

i see the landscape here.. and the tea leaves tell me .. you want me to donate $x dollars.. well once you go down that road then it will be $x times 2 next year.. and really.. what will that give me ?.. a player who will leave us for more money .. and me getting no return (i.e. ncaa) on my investment...

and apologies.. but no one.. will take away me being a fan of Rhody hoops.. i wil always be a diehard fan of the team.. and keep my coin to myself.. and its a lot of coins ....
If you don’t complain and don’t donate then that’s kosher. If you’re looking for the positive and rooting for the team and staff that’s being a fan.

The issue is the complaining about the team and then the subsequent refusal to do anything about it. If you have something to complain about while talking shit about donating to make it better, you’re a dick.

I think everyone should donate. If not, everyone should be happy with the team and accept where we’re at since you won’t do anything to improve our position.

so, the RAM-ily thing is a thing of the past ?

i respect you, so i will poke some fun..

actually. .i am a Richard, not a dick

so, just wanted to correct you on that one point

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 week ago Coworker's nephew is a freshman at a D-1 big-time SEC golf program. Qualified for the NCAA National Championship this weekend in San Diego. Was just contacted by TaylorMade to use their clubs (currently uses another brand). They offered him $100k/yr to use the TaylorMade clubs.

True NIL money.
You mean, that's not the same as 2000 people donating $50 each? 🤔

Congratulations to your co-worker's nephew, both on his skill and (actual, real) NIL!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

good point.. somehow..

"NAME"
"IMAGE"
"LIKENESS"

aka the real NIL....

has turned into "how dare you be a fan of a team if you don't give $x dollars"

too funny...

can i just be a fan ?

do i need permission or need to fill out a form ?

i am confused as to the rules others have laid out for me and need clarification
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago good point.. somehow..

"NAME"
"IMAGE"
"LIKENESS"

aka the real NIL....

too funny...

can i just be a fan ?

i am confused as to the rules others have laid out for me and need clarification
your kind ain't welcome here no more. to the AMP with you and your ilk!
:lol:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 week ago good point.. somehow..

"NAME"
"IMAGE"
"LIKENESS"

aka the real NIL....

too funny...

can i just be a fan ?

Am I writing in Spanish? Be a fan. That’s what we’re all here for.

Just don’t complain about the team if you don’t want to donate.

Root for them and accept mediocrity if we underachieve.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

we have come full circle..
so now i understand
don't donate = don't be a fan

it is said so it is done !

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

There should be a separate thread for complaints/discussion about the team, that only NIL donors can post to. All others will be 'read only'.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I had season tickets for 26 years. I donated enough money to keep those tickets for that time. Between the tickets, donations, transportation to games (my round trip was a hell of a lot longer than most), trips to road games, merchandise and incidentals that's easily more than $75,000.

Now that I'm retired, there's not much blood left in the stone. What little there is goes to the university, which has more needs than just winning bidding wars for some mercenary 19-year-old. If that makes me less of a fan in some people's eyes, then screw them.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 week ago I had season tickets for 26 years. I donated enough money to keep those tickets for that time. Between the tickets, donations, transportation to games (my round trip was a hell of a lot longer than most), trips to road games, merchandise and incidentals that's easily more than $75,000.

Now that I'm retired, there's not much blood left in the stone. What little there is goes to the university, which has more needs than just winning bidding wars for some mercenary 19-year-old. If that makes me less of a fan in some people's eyes, then screw them.
Preach. The "this is the world we love in, therefore..." crowd needs to hear you.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 week ago I had season tickets for 26 years. I donated enough money to keep those tickets for that time. Between the tickets, donations, transportation to games (my round trip was a hell of a lot longer than most), trips to road games, merchandise and incidentals that's easily more than $75,000.

thanks for being a GREAT GREAT FAN

and no.. you aren't a "dick" for not donating

no one will define you or me.. despite how much they try

keep rooting for our beloved RAMS

as for those who disagree with us.. less name calling - you are better than that !

to those same fans.. you are great fans and we support you giving to the team

we respect you and realize you are great fans and we would have better fans if more were like you

i have seen the same names post for years

we are all fans who bleed keaney blue

but understand this - we are all fans who will continue to boo and cheer with every win and loss

that is what being a fan is

no one will take that away from us

please give more.. because if not enough is given... then fans might turn on the owners of the team for not giving enough

ask yourself, can you give double per month ?

maybe take a night off from going out with your family to donate more ?

what is one less dinner at a restaurant a month if it means more wins and the ncaa ?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For many here, I suspect, are on the train where this stop is next or in view. No? Dg deep into your heart and now even deeper into you pockets lined with fishhooks to support O’l State U.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
RamStock wrote: 1 week ago

People have the right to do whatever they want in terms of donating or not donating. The fan base is so small already and will never get 250 people let alone 1000 to donate $3000. It comes down to the big donors. It isn’t only the NIL, but also the transfer portal, lack of any commitment to the schools from players, Archie’s coaching performance so far, the weak schedule and many other issues that have left people sour.
I believe the ask that set off this fire storm was $10 a month.

If everyone did SOMETHING it would be better than what we have. But somehow now we’re on the $3k number?

Big donors get tired of being the only people pulling the rope.

If everyone did what they could, even less than they could, that adds up.

If 1000 people gave $10 a month that’s $120k. That’s an A10 stud. Those kids we didn’t land yet? That was them.

Hence the frustration on my part. It’s absurd that this is a debate topic. It’s really just the frauds outing themselves.
Ok, I decided to do my part. If I see results, I will continue. If I don't, I won't. Here's my question: Would you agree that many of the rabid fans of the program are members of this forum? Yes, I'm guessing there a lot who are not members here. I'll give a really low estimate and say that 25% of rabid (those who would be potential donors) URI fans are members of Keaney Blue. 32 have responded that they would donate. You put the number of people who donate to be successful at 1000. Where are the other 968 coming from? If 75% of rabid fans do not come here, percentage wise, that would add approximately another 100 who would donate. With that number, 132 to just throw out a number, donations would need to be closer to 1000 dollars per person per year for us to be successful. I'm not trying to be an ass here. I'm truly wondering where all these donors would come from.
Thanks for contributing!
I do not think that all fans come on here, for example, the 4 season ticket holders near me have never come on this Board...didn't really even know about it when I brought it up.
Also, several people have told me that they no longer come on because it is so much negativity.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Red, I don’t think anyone here would question your fan status. The same for other posters here who are fans. It is just much frustration talking now. I am generally positive in outlook but even I feel the frustration.

Unfortunately at this time in the sport, the program and the team, there is significant change, uncertainty, losing, etc. contributing to frustration for fans.

The program has always bounced back. This time is our toughest test, it appears due to the confluence of the problems. But, we will (program and fans) will bounce back.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Me thinks once the final roster is settled, then we can jaw on that and less on the other stuff.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Me thinks once the final roster is settled, then we can jaw on that and less on the other stuff. Opps.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

Some of us may also be FANS of the minor sports at URI that will be losing out because of the Basketball NIL. All the athletes that compete and practice for Rhody and their fans are a big part of the school and it sounds on here like many of us don't belong as a RHODY fan.
I also am a long time Rhody BB season ticket holder.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »