Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel and Portal - 2024-25

Unread post by Jersey77 »

West Virginia guard Kobe Johnson transfers to SLU.
Started 26 games for them last season averaged 6 pts.

Last edited by Jersey77 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Do tweets like this help? They're a little weird if you ask me, since the recruit has no idea about this multi-personality fan of ours. And there have been a few like this.

I find it funny but ya maybe others find it weird

But let me pose this question: Which scenario do you believe is more detrimental? A handful of tweets where individuals clearly joke and commend the potential recruit, or the recruit glances at Keaneyblue.com and encounters the prevailing sentiment that most individuals here hold negative views towards Archie, lack enthusiasm about any recruits, and constantly criticize the NIL fund, which was established to assist in recruiting efforts?

If you guys are worried about these tweets you better hope recruits don’t come here….
But….

They DO come here.

Some y’all can reinsert head in sand.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I would be shocked if we were the only fans in the US who don’t like this and let our feelings be known. It’s not an unreasonable position to take that sure, they should get a piece of the pie, but I buy tickets and swag and food at the games, it’s not my responsibility to pay the players.

I may also be a little salty as I am currently paying for 2 kids to go to college. Sure they got Presidents scholarships and are not paying list, but when people down play the dollar value of a full ride it pisses me off as I know the dollar value is legit. Never mind the value a college degree adds to your lifetime earnings. The cost of college has also far outpaced inflation just like these TV contracts.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Go read message boards of other teams. They're all pretty much the same.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Go read message boards of other teams. They're all pretty much the same.
They all are the same. Check Kentucky’s board the last new years. The only board that isn’t upset is PC as they just nabbed a top 20 recruit today. It sucks so bad to be in contact with all the PC fans that I have to see as they get top 100 recruits and we are crossing our fingers for a center that is a senior from a small college that hasn’t accomplished anything for depth.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC just got a commitment from 5* top 20 Jamier Jones. Has the recruitment gap between us and them ever been wider?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago PC just got a commitment from 5* top 20 Jamier Jones. Has the recruitment gap between us and them ever been wider?
Nope.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago Do tweets like this help? They're a little weird if you ask me, since the recruit has no idea about this multi-personality fan of ours. And there have been a few like this.

I find it funny but ya maybe others find it weird

But let me pose this question: Which scenario do you believe is more detrimental? A handful of tweets where individuals clearly joke and commend the potential recruit, or the recruit glances at Keaneyblue.com and encounters the prevailing sentiment that most individuals here hold negative views towards Archie, lack enthusiasm about any recruits, and constantly criticize the NIL fund, which was established to assist in recruiting efforts?

If you guys are worried about these tweets you better hope recruits don’t come here….
But….

They DO come here.

Some y’all can reinsert head in sand.
Of course they do...how could they not? And any recruit that takes this board seriously...probably shouldn't be taken seriously as a recruit? I mean...it's 2024....people gonna stupid online...no one is immune
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago I would be shocked if we were the only fans in the US who don’t like this and let our feelings be known. It’s not an unreasonable position to take that sure, they should get a piece of the pie, but I buy tickets and swag and food at the games, it’s not my responsibility to pay the players.
Yup, I would be shocked, too. I didn't say we were the only fanbase. I asked what was worse, those tweets or the constant negativity here from the same posters.

I don't know how many times I need to say this, but I'm not saying it's your or anyone else's responsibility to pay the players. I'm saying the people on here who have made it their mission to come here daily and bash every recruit we land, refuse to believe our players can improve, and hate on Rhody Excellence nonstop make this place look bad. Especially if I'm a recruit. If you don't want to donate a dime, that's your choice. But why do the same posters have to keep repeating over and over and over how much they hate it?

I just find it funny and annoying when someone constantly complains about something and has a chance to help but doesn't and just continues to complain. I guess it's just not my style, but whatever.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
Why are we posting a PC 2025 recruit in our portal thread.? We do have threads devoted to the BE. He isn’t a transfer.
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

"in our portal thread.?"
So get a Mon' to dump it!
As for the school: start looking for a new HC. you be fortunate to still see him there, in 2025.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago I would be shocked if we were the only fans in the US who don’t like this and let our feelings be known. It’s not an unreasonable position to take that sure, they should get a piece of the pie, but I buy tickets and swag and food at the games, it’s not my responsibility to pay the players.
Yup, I would be shocked, too. I didn't say we were the only fanbase. I asked what was worse, those tweets or the constant negativity here from the same posters.

I don't know how many times I need to say this, but I'm not saying it's your or anyone else's responsibility to pay the players. I'm saying the people on here who have made it their mission to come here daily and bash every recruit we land, refuse to believe our players can improve, and hate on Rhody Excellence nonstop make this place look bad. Especially if I'm a recruit. If you don't want to donate a dime, that's your choice. But why do the same posters have to keep repeating over and over and over how much they hate it?

I just find it funny and annoying when someone constantly complains about something and has a chance to help but doesn't and just continues to complain. I guess it's just not my style, but whatever.
Sure they can get better, but most of our direct competitors are bringing in players that ARE better. At least on paper and that is all we have to go on until the games are played. So people can be happy hoping our players get better while our competition recruits better players.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago

Sure they can get better, but most of our direct competitors are bringing in players that ARE better. At least on paper and that is all we have to go on until the games are played. So people can be happy hoping our players get better while our competition recruits better players.
Ok so you don't think Lawerence and Bassy are upgrades. That's fine. I disagree. I think Zapala is as well.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Upgrades to last years team is not hard to do. I want upgrades compared to the top 3 A10 teams as that is who we need to be better than…not last year’s disappointment.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Ok so you don't think Lawerence and Bassy are upgrades. That's fine. I disagree. I think Zapala is as well.
Lawrence is probably the best of the group, but if you want to look at it they got Lawrence and Bassy and lost Weston, Hammond, Luis and Montgomery. Hammond had big time potential and was someone who could develop. They don’t seem to be in on any front court players that aren’t depth pieces. Rooting for Bassy because he is local underdog player, but this you can’t expect people do cartwheels over this team.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Lawrence is probably the best of the group, but if you want to look at it they got Lawrence and Bassy and lost Weston, Hammond, Luis and Montgomery. Hammond had big time potential and was someone who could develop. They don’t seem to be in on any front court players that aren’t depth pieces. Rooting for Bassy because he is local underdog player, but this you can’t expect people do cartwheels over this team.
Hammond is the only big loss out of the guys you just listed. We brought back our best players from last year. We brought back our best freshman. We landed what should be our best player in Lawerence and what looks like a much better version of Bassy. Cartwheels? No. But it's a solid start to me.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hammond is the only big loss out of the guys you just listed. We brought back our best players from last year. We brought back our best freshman. We landed what should be our best player in Lawerence and what looks like a much better version of Bassy. Cartwheels? No. But it's a solid start to me.
I don't see Hammond as a loss. He's never played cbb. Bassy will be better for Rhody next year than Hammond will for wherever he goes...
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
I don't see Hammond as a loss. He's never played cbb. Bassy will be better for Rhody next year than Hammond will for wherever he goes...
I get your point on year to year, but at this point I was looking more towards building a core a few years out. I know that is almost impossible with the transfer rule and NIL, but this team next year isn’t a tourney contender so to meet topping out at 19-13 with a weak schedule is tough to get excited about. I agree that Bassy would probably be more valuable in terms of next year, but in terms of getting excited to watch a player it would be Hammond. Doesn’t matter now anyway.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Weston was praised by Archie for his hard work, leadership and defensive play. Archie didn't praise very many of last season's players. Not a great offensive player, but certainly an asset. I think Archie would disagree with you about him.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn , seems like English is doing a solid job getting recruits , let’s hope it doesn’t translate into Big Dance appearances !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
Weston was praised by Archie for his hard work, leadership and defensive play. Archie didn't praise very many of last season's players. Not a great offensive player, but certainly an asset. I think Archie would disagree with you about him.
Disagree with me about him? I was one of Weston's biggest supporters since the second we signed him. I said Hammond was the only big loss. Weston is not a big loss. Great kid. He is a hard worker and a solid defender, but he's replaceable. The most important players on the team came back. Losing House, Green, or Fuchs would have hurt a lot more than Weston. I definitely would have taken Weston back, but Lawerence looks like a much better player on both ends. Weston didn't turn out to be the player people thought he would be out of high school, and that's why he ended up at Tennessee St. I wish him the best.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Disagree with me about him? I was one of Weston's biggest supporters since the second we signed him. I said Hammond was the only big loss. Weston is not a big loss. Great kid. He is a hard worker and a solid defender, but he's replaceable. The most important players on the team came back. Losing House, Green, or Fuchs would have hurt a lot more than Weston. I definitely would have taken Weston back, but Lawerence looks like a much better player on both ends. Weston didn't turn out to be the player people thought he would be out of high school, and that's why he ended up at Tennessee St. I wish him the best.
Traore replaces what Weston gave us pretty easily I think. He'll play hard, hit a few shots and grab tough rebounds.

Lawrence, Bassy are very obvious upgrades, especially Lawrence. Zapala was better than any of our bigs last year, so he would be an upgrade.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m a big fan of Zapala on St. Joseph’s day!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

Traore replaces what Weston gave us pretty easily I think. He'll play hard, hit a few shots and grab tough rebounds.

Lawrence, Bassy are very obvious upgrades, especially Lawrence. Zapala was better than any of our bigs last year, so he would be an upgrade.
Honestly, I wasn't very happy with us landing Traore PRT. I just felt like we could do something better. A few days after we landed him, I relayed my concerns to someone involved with the team. He said, "Traore is an upgrade over Brown..He will bring a lot of hustle and defense to the team. He's also a wonderful kid that will hold his teammates accountable. He will be fine in the A10"

After hearing that, I feel a little better.

Obviously, our staff isn't going to say the kid we just landed is a bad player, but they brought him here for a reason, and it sounds like he will have a role next year. So I'm willing to keep an open mind, and I hope that going down a level is just what he needs to succeed.

But I agree that he can fill that Weston role as a solid defender and rebounder who will put up some points off the bench.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 week ago I’m a big fan of Zapala on St. Joseph’s day!
Don't forget to
Pluck some Floss
N' swish it aroun'
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by class of 86 »

reef wrote: 1 week ago
Damn , seems like English is doing a solid job getting recruits , let’s hope it doesn’t translate into Big Dance appearances !
I can't help but to think that he's only going to be a rental. All the colleges he was looking at And it seems to me that NIL money would be bigger there
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Backroads wrote: 1 week ago
I posted earlier that Izzo was showing late interest
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Terrific, there goes our baseline defensive help…
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 week ago Terrific, there goes our baseline defensive help…
We have a plan B, we should be okay
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is where things start to get a little murky for me in regards to blaming everything on NIL. I love Chris so this isn't a knock on him or anything, but I have to wonder if it's really coming down to P5 NIL advantages or just P5 advantages. It's hard for me to believe that he would have chosen URI over Michigan State if not for just NIL. I'm willing to bet that if a P5 like Michigan State comes calling most players are probably going there with or without NIL advantages.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Since Zapala is from Poland then he is not eligible for NIL, or so I had read.
PeterRamTime would like Zavala. 7 footer. Was recently on campus along with other candidates recently.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
Backroads wrote: 1 week ago
I posted earlier that Izzo was showing late interest
Yup. And we have people here who said this dude wouldn't be a good get hahaha... Does Izzo have a good track record of landing talented players?

Javonte Brown please!! I don't know who else we are in the mix for, but Javonte Brown would be a great alternative option. Cmon, Archie!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago This is where things start to get a little murky for me in regards to blaming everything on NIL. I love Chris so this isn't a knock on him or anything, but I have to wonder if it's really coming down to P5 NIL advantages or just P5 advantages. It's hard for me to believe that he would have chosen URI over Michigan State if not for just NIL. I'm willing to bet that if a P5 like Michigan State comes calling most players are probably going there with or without NIL advantages.
Indeed

It may also have something to do with ya know, it's Tom Izzo and MSU lol.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Since Zapala is from Poland then he is not eligible for NIL, or so I had read.
PeterRamTime would like Zavala. 7 footer. Was recently on campus along with other candidates recently.
Like anything I’m sure there’s a way around it. Kids were getting paid when it was illegal to pay anyone. Now that it’s legal for 95% the other 5% won’t find a way to cash in?

It just won’t be advertised. Or done in cash.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
ramster wrote: 1 week ago Since Zapala is from Poland then he is not eligible for NIL, or so I had read.
Like anything I’m sure there’s a way around it. Kids were getting paid when it was illegal to pay anyone. Now that it’s legal for 95% the other 5% won’t find a way to cash in?

But it kinda is being advertised when DiSano says it came down to P5 cash

URI and Wichita St. were right there, coming down to P5 NIL advantages.

https://sports.yahoo.com/international- ... 0the%20law.

As it stands, international students are only able to monetize their NIL in a passive way or risk losing their F-1 student visas.

So if the law has no teeth and college basketball teams are paying out NIL regardless then it really hurts the low to mid majors and benefits the P5 yet again. :( :(
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exceptions can be granted for coaching changes. Who knew?

Nice 6’11” candidate on the market. Bidding starts at ?????

BYU basketball is embarking on a new era under Kevin Young, but it likely won’t feature Noah Waterman.

The Cougars forward has entered the transfer portal, Robby McCombs of Vanquish the Foe reported Monday.

Waterman enjoyed a breakout campaign for BYU this past season in averaging 9.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, shooting 37% from behind the arc and serving as one of the team’s most effective defensive players. He scored in double figures on 15 occasions, though only six such outings came against Big 12 foes.

While the NCAA deadline to enter the transfer portal was May 1, players from BYU’s program were given an extended window through May 12 due to Mark Pope’s departure for Kentucky.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/another-by ... 04338.html
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

As it stands, international students are only able to monetize their NIL in a passive way or risk losing their F-1 student visas.

So if the law has no teeth and college basketball teams are paying out NIL regardless then it really hurts the low to mid majors and benefits the P5 yet again. :( :(
I don't think that's any different than what it always has been. P5 schools have more. Across the board.

If it's not being done by NIL on it's face, it's being done by apparel companies and funneled through the grassroots and AAU orgs.

The only positive about this new era is that URI can now legally compete and pay for players. It literally comes down to your fanbase now. Want better players? Give more money.

Before, it came down to facilities and coaches, which we struggled to afford. Now, it's a new world and outside of what we're funded (yes, it's better than it ever has been but that doesn't mean we're doing more than the more competitive teams in our conference, we can continue to aim higher than "better than URI previously)

If every person that went to a URI game this year gave $100 a month, we could literally buy every single player we wanted.

Now, that idea will somehow offend some of our fanbase, which is why we will continue to be as far behind as we are.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago Exceptions can be granted for coaching changes. Who knew?

BYU basketball is embarking on a new era under Kevin Young, but it likely won’t feature Noah Waterman.

The Cougars forward has entered the transfer portal, Robby McCombs of Vanquish the Foe reported Monday.

Waterman enjoyed a breakout campaign for BYU this past season in averaging 9.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, shooting 37% from behind the arc and serving as one of the team’s most effective defensive players. He scored in double figures on 15 occasions, though only six such outings came against Big 12 foes.

While the NCAA deadline to enter the transfer portal was May 1, players from BYU’s program were given an extended window through May 12 due to Mark Pope’s departure for Kentucky.

Ramster, I think I originally said the international guys can’t do NIL. Only reason I had that inkling was because I’m in CT and there was commentary about Sanogo not being able to capitalize on that first year of NIL.

Now what I’m learning is that they can earn but have to work around US tax code as it relates to foreign students. So they can’t get paid for services on US soil. However they can hop to their country of origin or perhaps even other countries with different tax laws and be paid there. The kid from Washington is a native of England for example and they are saying he is getting that crazy offer. So maybe he goes back to England, works at a non profit for a day, and they pay him via the collective.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago
ramster wrote: 1 week ago Exceptions can be granted for coaching changes. Who knew?

Ramster, I think I originally said the international guys can’t do NIL. Only reason I had that inkling was because I’m in CT and there was commentary about Sanogo not being able to capitalize on that first year of NIL.

Now what I’m learning is that they can earn but have to work around US tax code as it relates to foreign students. So they can’t get paid for services on US soil. However they can hop to their country of origin or perhaps even other countries with different tax laws and be paid there. The kid from Washington is a native of England for example and they are saying he is getting that crazy offer. So maybe he goes back to England, works at a non profit for a day, and they pay him via the collective.
Thanks for sharing Bar. Understood.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Zapala will be tested for playing time at MSU, so I’m guessing NIL/compensation was the kicker.
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Damn. I would have liked to see him here.

Big fish comes along and eats the littler fish. Happy to know we went down fighting, though.

Adapt and overcome and on to the next option.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU also in the mix now.
Ties to Odom at Utah State.

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago

I don't think that's any different than what it always has been. P5 schools have more. Across the board.

If it's not being done by NIL on it's face, it's being done by apparel companies and funneled through the grassroots and AAU orgs.

The only positive about this new era is that URI can now legally compete and pay for players. It literally comes down to your fanbase now. Want better players? Give more money.

Before, it came down to facilities and coaches, which we struggled to afford. Now, it's a new world and outside of what we're funded (yes, it's better than it ever has been but that doesn't mean we're doing more than the more competitive teams in our conference, we can continue to aim higher than "better than URI previously)

If every person that went to a URI game this year gave $100 a month, we could literally buy every single player we wanted.

Now, that idea will somehow offend some of our fanbase, which is why we will continue to be as far behind as we are.
THIS. In most cases fanbases have no one to blame but themselves. Does it suck? Sure. Should we be responsible? I don't think so... But we are so everyone needs to get over it. It takes 5,000 fans giving $250 a year (or $21 a month) to have an extremely competitive NIL of $1.5 million per year. When you think of it that way, the ask really isn't that significant.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now it’s between MSU and VCU?? lol, this entire process is absurd.
GO RAMS
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Now that it’s out there (Rhody Vault tweeted it) Javonte Brown was the other 7 footer I’m aware of that visited. His stats really aren’t far off from Zapala, plus he does have high major experience although he didn’t play a whole lot at A&M and UConn.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago Now that it’s out there (Rhody Vault tweeted it) Javonte Brown was the other 7 footer I’m aware of that visited. His stats really aren’t far off from Zapala, plus he does have high major experience although he didn’t play a whole lot at A&M and UConn.
He also has 2 years of eligibility.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sure, why not?
Ram logo via Grist 1938