Jordan Hare

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jordan Hare

Unread post by section(105) »

Jordan Hare; help me here guys, I know its only two games, but is what we/re seeing what we ere expecting??
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Jordan Hare

Unread post by Blue Man »

Tough to say. He's a freshman, he looks like a freshman. He didn't play much in game 1 on account of foul trouble.

Long, bouncy, certainly has some skill, but will take some work in Jim Carr's lab. Judging by what Carr did with Brooks in this off season alone, I'm sure a full season and off season will get the most out of him.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Game 1's limited minutes wasn't necessarily foul trouble. He played just 6 mins there, following a horrible first minute where he had two bad fouls and had to sit. On top of his on-court performance thus far, he performance in practice has not been up to the Hurley standard, which they've mentioned on the air.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Let's be patient with the kid...people sound ready to cast him off after 2 games
Clapton is God
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i agree with that sentiment 89.

but also compare holton and hare at the same points in their career....holton had more holes than a sponge in his game, no pun intended, but looked like an all american compared to jordan.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right, Jordan - fairly or not - looks like a kid whose skill set consists of alley-oops and close range dunks over players a foot shorter than him.

I'd like to say he's more like Holton and less like Will Martell/Darrel Harris/Jon Clark at this point, but I can't.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Slight improvement last night. Had a block (which was incorrectly called goaltending) and had two baskets I believe. Still not rebounding because he's not physical enough. It often takes big guys longer to adjust to college game. Martell and Outerbridge didn't even play as freshmen.
I'm going to be patient with him.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Holton, if nothing else, could tenaciously rebound.
His problem was, he thought he was Kevin Durant.
I don't see the slightest similarity in Hare and Holton's game.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Yeah, Hare seems to be like more of a project big man, whereas Holton had some good skills already, but maybe didn't have the peak of Hare. Like it wouldn't have surprised me if Holton didn't improve a ton from his freshman year, which was that of a decent A-10 starter already, whereas Hare could be anything from a washout to an All-A10 player by his senior year. (Or to make an NBA comparison - Holton was a Dejuan Blair or Paul Milsap, while Hare could be Jermaine O'Neal or he could be Disanga Diop, in terms of living up to potential.) Lots of potential outcomes, good and bad, with Hare, and a lot of it will seem to depend on his work ethic, at least according to Hurley's statements.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, Hare's problem is all mental. If he put in the same fight and intensity that Aaman brings to the game, he'd dominate. He has the deer in headlights look. New school, new destination, new players and a new coach are all factors, but the one thing he should know how to do is play ball. He should be the one getting fouled rather than fouling everyone else. He may not have great moves under the basket, but he should still have the intensity to give an opposing team's players a repeated "dunk face" (as coined by ESPN's Sports Nation). If you're 6' 10" with hops, who has shown he can dunk from a stand still while under the basket, you should definitely be bitch slapping a few big men while down low.
I don't think he's lazy. I just think someone needs to get this kid pissed off. Maybe light a fire under his butt. One of his team mates should tell him during the game that the opposing big man is talking shit about his mom. I'd like to see how he plays then.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I agree. He's not playing like he thinks he's the shit. He needs to forget he's a frosh and just ball.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

agree rod, no similarities in their games....but 2 big guys who came here with some hype recently and who both had the chance to get minutes immediately.

one looked too confident, but certainly could hold his own athletically....the other seems to lack any confidence, and appears to get bullied.

i would imagine we could design a play or two eventually meant to get jordan an easy lob for a slam, once he proves he deserves that opp. no one better than the hurleys to figure out some lobs plays from the perimeter. Nik threw one to him last night, albeit seemed more opportunistic than planned.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I am not at all ready to give up on him, but I have to say he did come to us with a degree of hype/expectations that I do not think we have seen any of yet. I am patient here with him, but was expecting to have seen more on the court presence. Clearly two games does not a season make, but..............
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The jury is out on him for sure. We can see that Aaman will be fine, and that Munford is a player.

I would have thought, even being a freshman, that the weeks spent practicing and learning under the Hurleys and Carr, would have produced much more than we've seen so far. Seems overrated at this point.

Hopefully he will improve some as this season progresses. The final word on Hare will be next season, if he returns. Either there is major progress by then, or he'll become an end of the bench guy. Nothing is certain of course, but the bigs coming in next year look better for sure.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I didn't expect to see much more than we have. He was a pretty highly rated recruit, but he was clearly a project and his ranking was based on the upside; he is extremely, extremely raw. If he can use this year to get used to the speed of the game and gain an understanding of the work he's going to have to put in to excel at this level, I'll consider it a win. Much like the team as a whole, a lot of what will come out of this season will be between the ears, and we may not see signs of it on the court until next season.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'll repeat what I've said ad nauseum, most players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years. Hare is not ready physically, mentally or emotionally to be a major contributor this season.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give Hare some time to adjust. In the long run we might have a serviceable big man
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

2 games in I am not giving up. I see soft hands, quick feet and a nose for the basket. he is a young kid who is probably getting his ass kicked in practice by his coaches for the first time in his life. My feeling is by December he will be fine, not great, but fine. I think once he puts it together he is going to be a beast.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He looks young out there .... he is active defensively (aren't they all) with limited offensive skills. Aaman is more mature physically, which is why he's a bit ahead of him. But he's no offensive player either. Give 'em both time. If we don't see much improvement by Christmas, then I'll start pushing the panic button.,
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

For what its worth; based on the limited PT he gets and I/ve seen, I think we/ll have a serviceable big man rather than a beast, and I can live with that as the new bigs come in and make greater potential impact...........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think he has shown he is athletic and he is tall and he does not suffer from the 7footer 3point shooter disease. So i think he is a breath of fresh air. Tall athletic and getting coached up. I also think Christmas is a good bench mark for improvement from him.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hare is a freshman that has only played two college games on a really bad team. Give him a break. Ordinarily, he would not see much time and be slowly eased into things. That however is unfortunately not the case in Kingston this year. Anyone thinking an untested freshman would make an immediate impact had unrealistic expecations. Wait until near the end of the season to get a better read on Hare.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I think he needs one break through game when he realizes he can compete at this level. It would be beyond my imagination if it occurred on Saturday.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The one criticism of Hare, even from high school, has been that he does not exactly welcome contact. Hurley has said he thinks Hare can contribute defensively this year; if he keeps working, that seems realistic- but he needs to keep working.

And as Rhody72 alluded to, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Of course, we've never had freshmen make immediate impacts.
Sly Williams torching the number one ranked Michigan for 32 points in his third game as a freshman.
Lamar personally sinking TCU in his first game ever.
ARD contributing from day one.
Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw stars from day one.
Tyson Wheeler, Silk Owens, Jiggy Williamson, running the team from day one.
Yeah, I know. I'm not supposed to go back in our history, because we know
they don't play with a round basketball, a ten foot high basket and a 94 foot long court, anymore.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Of course some freshmen make an immediate impact (what's up 89-90 Bobby at Duke?), but Al McGuire's quote has a lot of truth to it.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

weak, nervous and lost. Thats my opinion on his play so far. It makes me nervous to know that is our future frontcourt. I think if he gains some confidence, then he'll start to play better
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't see Hurley doing a Baron, and keeping those who don't fit or don't
progress for four years.
This will sort itself out. Cure or kill, eventually.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Hare can eventually become a force on the defensive end, I'd be very happy with that. He's very athletic as far as his jumping ability and has a very large wingspan. If he can learn technique and timing, he could be a very good shot blocker. Once he develops his body and can bang with guys at this level, he could also be a very good rebounder on both ends of the floor. We're not necessarily going to need a lot of points from the center position in the next 3 years or so. We should have good scorers at the guard and forward positions. If Hare can get stronger, hopefully by next season, and be a defense force, he will be very valuable to this team even if he doesn't have a great offensive game. Learning some post moves and developing a 8-10 foot jump shot would be gravy, in my opinion.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rod: I won't bother listing the freshmen who didn't make an impact to counter the 9 you came up with over the last 30years that did. Yours are the exception.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm a big fan of your enthusiasm, but sometimes you say stuff that I don't understand at all. First of all, of course SOME freshmen can contribute, but certainly not all of them. And Hare came here as a guy with a ton of potential and upside who clearly needed some work. Two games into his career people are already talking like they're considering giving up on him, like they forgot what we knew about him a week ago. You can't say that because Sly Williams scored 32 points as a freshman nearly 40 years ago that we have a right to expect the same from Jordan Hare. Guys develop differently. Have some patience.

And secondly, I find this idea that if a kid doesn't turn out to be a good player we should get rid of him to be abhorrent. I take you to mean that Hurley won't keep dead weight on the roster and will pull kids' scholarships, so if I'm misinterpreting, I apologize. But the only way I can think of for Hurley to lose my support is to cut a kid that isn't as good as he thought he was when he recruited him. This is college sports, not the NFL. If you offer a kid a scholarship, that is a four year commitment. Unless the kid is not keeping up his end of the deal in the classroom or engaging in conduct that is detrimental to the basketball program, you own that kid for four years. Big-time college sports is premised on the exchange of free services by the kids in return for a chance to earn a college degree. If you deny a kid that chance because you misevaluated how good of a player he was in high school, or worse because he got hurt and isn't the same player post-injury, you are really not a good human being. Nobody wants to win as badly as I do, but if you can't do it without selling your soul than it isn't worth it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From what I know of Hurley, if a player works hard and wants to be there, he's his player.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:From what I know of Hurley, if a player works hard and wants to be there, he's his player.
Yeah I should have added that based on everything I know about Hurley, I can't imagine him pulling a kids scholarship because he isn't a good enough player. My point was in response to Rod; I wasn't accusing Hurley of taking that view. Quite frankly, I would be shocked if he does. Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of right and wrong, and the Hurleys strike me as guys who look out for their kids and don't view them as commodities.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:From what I know of Hurley, if a player works hard and wants to be there, he's his player.
Yeah I should have added that based on everything I know about Hurley, I can't imagine him pulling a kids scholarship because he isn't a good enough player. My point was in response to Rod; I wasn't accusing Hurley of taking that view. Quite frankly, I would be shocked if he does. Seems like a pretty clear-cut case of right and wrong, and the Hurleys strike me as guys who look out for their kids and don't view them as commodities.
Yep, I figured as much, was just adding on.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you Mr, Obvious, Iggy.
The statement was none but top 15 or so freshmen make an impact.
I'm sure I could have named quite a few more for us.

TP, if you want to play with the big boys, you do what the big boys do.
As Hurley said, "Scholarships are gold." This isn't CYO.
Maybe you think he should have kept Shengalia, McCoy, Harris and Vedder, to honor committments?
You can't have it both ways, other than being hypocritical, and saying, "well those were Baron's players". Sorry , same principle in play here. A committment was made to them at one point. So, did Hurley lose your support for clearing the roster?
Either you build a competitive roster, or you're Father Flanagan's Boy's Town.
I wouldn't think of comparing Hare to Sly or Lamar. I don't see all the talent and potential you claim he has.
I'll use the same argument I used on Holton. If he was such a phenom, then why didn't instate Powers REALLY go
after him?
Don't tell me MSU recuited him hard. You really think Tom Izzo would be outrecruited by Prestom Murphy, if he wanted a player?
I hope Hare works out. Only time will tell. I want to be very wrong on this one.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, I think there is a difference between players you recruit and commit to and guy you inherit. Hurley never went into Rayvon Harris's living room and looked his mom in the eye and promised he'd take care of him. Also, that is assuming that those guys were nudged out the door. IMO, there is nothing wrong with leveling with a kid and saying "look, you aren't in our plans here and there aren't going to be minutes for you. You're welcome to stay and get your degree, but if you don't want your basketball career to be effectively over, I'll call some of my contacts in the coaching community and find you a place to play."

Obviously, cutting kids and gray shirting are the way of the SEC, and there is no arguing how successful they've been. I guess the question is where you rank your priorities of winning and doing right by your players. I think you can do both, but you can't do right by your players if you will cast them aside if it helps you win.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would imagine the list of players that contributed little their FR year but became all league players by their JR and SR years is quite a long list.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:Rod, I think there is a difference between players you recruit and commit to and guy you inherit. Hurley never went into Rayvon Harris's living room and looked his mom in the eye and promised he'd take care of him. Also, that is assuming that those guys were nudged out the door. IMO, there is nothing wrong with leveling with a kid and saying "look, you aren't in our plans here and there aren't going to be minutes for you. You're welcome to stay and get your degree, but if you don't want your basketball career to be effectively over, I'll call some of my contacts in the coaching community and find you a place to play."

Obviously, cutting kids and gray shirting are the way of the SEC, and there is no arguing how successful they've been. I guess the question is where you rank your priorities of winning and doing right by your players. I think you can do both, but you can't do right by your players if you will cast them aside if it helps you win.
How dare you disagree with the Wizard of Rod? Of course there is a right way to handle it. You tell each kid exactly where they stand in the program and where he sees them in the rotation in the short and long term and then tell him his scholarship is going to be honored. This way the kid knows where he stands as far as playing time and can stay at URI if he wants. The other way is what guys like Calhoun do.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The King Troll has spoken!
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I don't want to take sides in this argument, but a quick note on the word "troll". It's definition is not "someone who disagrees with me". A troll is someone who purposely says something he/she does not really believe/think in order to get a rise out of others.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Many kids are immediate contributors as freshman, particularly kids who have prepped. But, even most of these players improved the more between their freshman and sophomore years, than later years. I think Cat is an exception and others who blossomed under better coaching. Also, big-men more often mature later than guards. These are generalities for which that there are exceptions.

Hare needs to add the muscle mass that comes with physical maturity. Further, he needs to adjust emotionally to the college game. Hurley needs to convince Jordan than he can be a big-time college basketball player and he needs to commit to the work ethic to get there. If Jordan gets it, then great; if not, Dan should move on.
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think coming on here and having every single post of a newbie, slamming Hurley on every level is TROLLING!
That's just trying to piss Rhody fans off. Period.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I would be surprised if Hare does anything this year. He simply does not have the physical tools to compete.

Watch him on defensive rebounds for free throws, he gets pushed under the basket even on these.

He might have height, wing span and potential but unless he beefs up significantly between now and his sophomore year, he will not be able to compete effectively in the A10.

So much for the accuracy of the star system. He is not a three star player as I think of them.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think coming on here and having every single post of a newbie, slamming Hurley on every level is TROLLING!
That's just trying to piss Rhody fans off. Period.
Every level?

Maybe one level. Offensive game plan.

Please look at the posts where I said I thought he would recruit well and be good for the program.

The Wizard of Rod™ has spoken-disagree with him and you are a troll!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hare does need some beef on him, hopefully in the off season he gains at least 20 lbs
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Hare & Aaman remind me of Vic Soares & Randy Wilds as freshman. Probably a little behind them offensively at this tage but size-wise pretty similar.
bkrichmond

Unread post by bkrichmond »

Mike Aaman looks like he knows how to play. He fights for position in the post, gets to the foul line and sticks his nose in on the boards. Hare is a guy whose athleticism alone has gotten him to this point. You don't get much run against other 6-10 guys who are that long before the college level. He needs to acquire some better habits on the floor, particularly in practice. Hurley has said as much in his press conferences thus far.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I was JV coach for Vic Soares @ EPHS, to me Jordan Hare is a shadow to Vic................
Ram logo via Grist 1938