Getting rowdy at The Ryan Center!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Getting rowdy at The Ryan Center!

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I wanted to give everyone an opportunity to expand on how we plan to be louder and more obnoxious than ever before at The Ryan Center. As Blue Man said we need to "take back the Ryan Center." The last couple of years the environment has been pretty lame. Winning will help of course but we also need to consciously create an intimidating environment.

For example, I feel like I need to work on my heckling skills both with referees and opposing players. So what are your favorite one-liners for refs and opposing players?
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Re: Getting rowdy at The Ryan Center!

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

The key to getting the Ryan center louder and more engaged is getting the students more involved in the games. Giving back some of the 100s to the students so they can sit close and heckle is the only way to accomplish this. Season ticket holders have been given these in the previous few seasons but they need to think large scale and we should sell out the Ryan Center or come close to it for every game next season (especially if the wins start coming in bunches).

Once you have the students into it the rest will fall into place.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

"Hey ref, is the light shining off your bald spot and into your eyes?"
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodeIslandBred wrote:The key to getting the Ryan center louder and more engaged is getting the students more involved in the games. Giving back some of the 100s to the students so they can sit close and heckle is the only way to accomplish this. Season ticket holders have been given these in the previous few seasons but they need to think large scale and we should sell out the Ryan Center or come close to it for every game next season (especially if the wins start coming in bunches).

Once you have the students into it the rest will fall into place.
Agree that the students are a huge engine, but what I like about 205 having enough loud people is that it's in the center of all the sections. So that when the people in seats look over and see the divide between rowdy students and sit on hands fans, it looks like less of a disparity and more people will be apt to join.

That being said:

"zebras everywhere are burying their heads in the sand, you're a transcontinental embarassment."
"no wonder your wife left you, you obviously didn't see anything in her either"
"I didn't realize you and (insert coaches name here) were dating"
"what kind of naked pictures does (coaches name) have of you?"
"if your family hadn't already left you, I'd have made sure to send this game tape to them."
"you're a low level ref in the A10, nobody paid to see you ref tonight, grow up."
"i'm ashamed to be in the same room as you, and I was a communications major."

these are the most family friendly ones ive got
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Those are OK, because they're not really personal taunts.
Making fun of what the ref or some visiting player looks like,
is classless.
How many of the 100s will the students be getting vs. last year?
Crucial to making The Ryan, a pit.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Ragging on the opposing mascot is always key.

I remember one game a few years back where the guy next to me kept screaming to the St. Joseph's hawk "Are you a male or female?" over and over and over throughout the entire game. It never got old; I was crying laughing.

Doesn't actually seem that funny retelling it. Maybe you had to be there...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Oh rod we 100% see the issue opposite on that.

I like to go for the jugular. How you look, what type of family issues you're going through, what your girlfriend looks like...

see players and refs hear F you all the time. That doesn't phase them. When you address their full name with a pertinent personal problem that they're currently struggling with, that's how you get into a player's head. You know you're doing your job as a fan when a player is looking at you and mouthing off into the stands instead of keeping his head in the huddle.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A great taunt is creative and witty ... None of these get quite there.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm plenty loud at games but call me old school but I'd like to see:
-- Standing O's when the team gets announced
-- Everyone standing during a key moment or when URI is on a run
-- Loud booing when a call doesn't go our way.
-- Loud "Defense" and other chants led by students
-- Student section making it difficult for the other team during FTs.
-- Everyone stays until the end of the game.

If we could do all that it would have more of an impact than one-liners.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with Iggy 100%.
No need to be buffoons and embarass the program.
Ask Dan or Preston the next time you see them,
if they go for that low class personal crap.
You won't like the answer.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Amen, Iggy. Based on the comments from others in this thread, sounds like you're preaching to the choir. Lets hope folks that aren't on this board feel the same way.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm plenty loud at games but call me old school but I'd like to see:
-- Standing O's when the team gets announced
-- Everyone standing during a key moment or when URI is on a run
-- Loud booing when a call doesn't go our way.
-- Loud "Defense" and other chants led by students
-- Student section making it difficult for the other team during FTs.
-- Everyone stays until the end of the game.

If we could do all that it would have more of an impact than one-liners.
Agreed that this list would establish an excellent baseline of participation that would translate into a much improved home court advantage for our Rams.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

It would be nice if others in 205 would joint Atp and myself and show some enthusiasm. There is NOTHING better than being on your feet and pointing to the opposing coach after the rams made a run knowing that he's going to call time. I have a hunch that will be happening much more this year!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Neil, will you be in your usual spot in 205? If so, you'll be surrounded by quite a few like-minded enthusiastic fans like RhodyGirls1 and 2, Blue Man, myself, and The Dude. Should be very fun!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Iggy, do you mean: Act like a "fan?!?!?!?!?!?!?" 8-) :lol: 8-)
This other scripted shit reminds me of twerps trying to plan how they're going to make out with some chick in the sixth grade by practicing with their arms!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

FAN #1: Go to Line #2!!!!!!
FANS: Is that, "You suck!!! or "Martelli, you look like Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein, you bald-headed freak!"
FAN#1: NO!!!! LINE#4 is about Martelli!!!! LINE #2 is about the Refs Suck!!!!"
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Well i think the direct solutions for making the Ryan Center a more rowdy and fun environment is these 3 things: Winning games, Students sitting close to the court, and BEER. I know we've all had this argument before, but they need to serve alcohol! My opinion is if you're against it then you need to understand that it's benefiting the program financially and in terms of attendance, makes for a better atmosphere, and an incentive for people who don't watch sports as actively enjoy their time here. Also, it's very easy to create a "Non-Alcohol Section" for the people who get worried when there's a beer next to you. I think the majority of people would agree. Anyways, I think that the atmosphere in the Ryan Center will naturally be much better this year, and i'm looking forward to being a part of it!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I will be in my same seats as last year
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Neil, in another thread, someone said you don't deserve to sit
in your old seats, and nobody should sit in their old seats.
Amazingly bizzaro logic.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

neil wrote:I will be in my same seats as last year
Great news, Neil. Looking forward to some game day chats with you and Matt.
rodfromcranston wrote:Neil, in another thread, someone said you don't deserve to sit
in your old seats, and nobody should sit in their old seats.
Amazingly bizzaro logic.
If there is anyone who "deserves" to sit in their old seats, few would argue against Neil. Rod, who said that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm in 211 this year so I'll be watching all you crazies in 205 this season.I heard 211 is a fun section so we'll see. What would be cool is if we had chants and responses by sections. Kinda like a panoramic sound wave.

(Bressler, did you spy on me in 6th grade?)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I don't think they should have let people keep their seats no matter what."
Your quote, ATP. That includes, Neil, Terino et al.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Some phrases:
"Zebra get off your knees, you're blowing the game!"
"(player or coach), I've got tissues if you want to cry about it!"
"Yo zebra, time to up that prescription!"

Short opposing players:
"Umpa Lumpa!"
"I've got shoes bigger than you!"

Directed to player or coach:
"Your mother doesn't love you!" (surprisingly this always get a chuckle from people because it's so unexpected.)

Player too long in the paint:
"He could've pitched a tent he was camped out so long!"

Before foul shot:
"Lay me some bricks, I need a house (or fireplace)."
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

No, Blueram, but during Duck and Cover I think you pinched the wrong ass!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:"I don't think they should have let people keep their seats no matter what."
Your quote, ATP. That includes, Neil, Terino et al.
You misunderstood, Rod. What I meant was I don't think there should have been a way for people to guarantee themselves their previous seats no matter what their current priority points status or giving level.

Strange that's how you interpreted that comment that way, since it's inconsistent with the other longer posts I've had on the subject.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

For whatever it's worth (not much), I could have moved my seats to a slightly better location. I chose to stay where I was.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If the Cameron crazies are the model for student participation than take your cues from them.

Be smart witty and creative, be on your feet the entire game, and have as much uniformity as possible. What I notice about the past URI student sections is about 20% of them actually are vocal during the game. Need more leadership bc it's the strength in numbers and uniform chanting that creates the intimidating atmosphere. Not 3 guys heckling a ref u found out is going thru a divorce. Section 8 back in the day was great at all of the above, first time I saw a student section force the opposing team to move their timeout huddles to the foul line.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Embarrassing the University through obnoxious behavior hurts the program. Be engaged, be involved, be loud and be supportive. Do you really believe that future prospects will be anxious to play for a University known for its obnoxious fans? Do you really believe that personal attacks towards referees will get them to make future calls that are favorable towards our team?
NCAAs or Bust!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Cameron Crazies are not always "smart witty and creative" and I understand hoping students won't go overboard but let's be real, we're not going to lose any recruits because our crowd is too obnoxious.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote:Embarrassing the University through obnoxious behavior hurts the program. Be engaged, be involved, be loud and be supportive. Do you really believe that future prospects will be anxious to play for a University known for its obnoxious fans? Do you really believe that personal attacks towards referees will get them to make future calls that are favorable towards our team?
Literally everything in this statement is the opposite of the truth.

A) Yes. I 110% believe kids want to play for a school where their fans are obnoxious to opposing fans. Is that a serious question?

B) Um...have referees EVER given URI a favorable call? Ever? So no. Might as well be hilarious/try to make them feel like the terrible people that they are/at least make yourself feel better about it. Ask Cat Mobley about our illustrious history of calls that have gone our way. I'm sure he'll have a bunch to talk about.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote:Embarrassing the University through obnoxious behavior hurts the program. Be engaged, be involved, be loud and be supportive. Do you really believe that future prospects will be anxious to play for a University known for its obnoxious fans? Do you really believe that personal attacks towards referees will get them to make future calls that are favorable towards our team?
I don't think I'm talking about embarassing the University... I don't plan on getting kicked out of games... but we need the Ryan Center to have an edge. Recruits will want to play in an intimidating environment for the opposition, where homecourt advantage actually means something.

I don't like the swagger that teams have when they come to play at the Ryan Center. That has to change!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wow! I guess prices will need to rise to pay for increased security if some of the posters here become the norm. You would hope college educated people would have some values. Parents have a lot to say where their are choices of colleges to attend. I want players with choices to play for URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Have some values? It's sports. You go and hi five the other team, roll out the red carpet and kindly welcome opposing teams to the Ryan Center.

I'll be the guy doing the exact opposite of that, and I sincerely hope I'm not alone.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'll be knitting sweaters while the game is ongoing. Please don't get too carried away during the game. I have to concentrate. Those shoulder areas are really difficult!

Really, I can't take it. Please tell me the culture is going to change!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I am all for turning the Ryan center into a pit, but that doesn't mean it has to turn into a WWF event at the Worcester centrum. I never agree with 72 but in this case I agree. Do u really think hurling personal insults at a ref is doing anything. Again for anyone who remembers section 8 that was the best URI student section we have had in my 30 years attending games.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And u really don't have to look further than pro sports...Philly is known for having the most crass and obnoxious pro sports fan base, but no one fears going into any of their places to play games. NYC and Boston sports teams have much more intimidating home court advantages and its not bc their fans are idiots, quite opposite most players will cite how smart those fan bases are about the intricacies of the game and how devoted they are to their home teams.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Can we be smart, fun, and mildly obnoxious?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:And u really don't have to look further than pro sports...Philly is known for having the most crass and obnoxious pro sports fan base, but no one fears going into any of their places to play games. NYC and Boston sports teams have much more intimidating home court advantages and its not bc their fans are idiots, quite opposite most players will cite how smart those fan bases are about the intricacies of the game and how devoted they are to their home teams.
I don't think professionals fear coming into any place to play. There are stupid, obnoxious fans in Philly, New York, Boston, and nearly every city. Perception feeds reality, throw in some selection bias, and there you go. Members of fan bases like to think they're special and smart, but the same elements, good and bad, are pretty much in every city.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For sure Rhody Jay!!! And I respectfully disagree Ace. Only one pro sports team has a jail in their stadium, or at least they did, the Eaglets!! Throwing batteries at guys, sorry that doesn't happen everywhere. I assume u are close to Philly but those are def some of the most obnoxious fans I have ever encountered and I have been in a lot of pro venues.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree they don't fear playing anywhere but I don't think college kids at this level do either, however that doesn't mean their isnt a psychological edge some venues provide their home teams. The records bear this out.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

bigappleram wrote:For sure Rhody Jay!!! And I respectfully disagree Ace. Only one pro sports team has a jail in their stadium, or at least they did, the Eaglets!! Throwing batteries at guys, sorry that doesn't happen everywhere. I assume u are close to Philly but those are def some of the most obnoxious fans I have ever encountered and I have been in a lot of pro venues.
I went to a NY Giants game in Philly a few years ago. While we were walking in a cop yelled to us, "see if you assholes are still wearing that shit when you walk out of here." Friendly place.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:For sure Rhody Jay!!! And I respectfully disagree Ace. Only one pro sports team has a jail in their stadium, or at least they did, the Eaglets!! Throwing batteries at guys, sorry that doesn't happen everywhere. I assume u are close to Philly but those are def some of the most obnoxious fans I have ever encountered and I have been in a lot of pro venues.
Throwing batteries? Those people that did it, not cool, of course, but every city has had something. You've had your experiences, that's fine. My favorite players have typically been disliked by the majority of the fan base. The Vet had a few jail cells, the newer stadium has a holding center like every other NFL stadium. So, yay Philly? I don't know. The end of the 700 level was a good thing. The fan talk just gets so tiresome to hear time after time. It's coming to an end a little bit, but there were few better places to watch a baseball game than CBP the last few years.

The key to college fans is finding stuff that's smart. The Crazies don't always get it right, but they're pretty good.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Ryan Center just needs to be loud, so loud that the refs, opposing coaches and players, etc., won't even be able to hear what the hecklers are saying. Start the noise with the Rhody players being introduced and don't stop. Let's bring up the decibel level!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hear, hear!!

(See what I did there?)
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

"Build it and they will come." If the team kicks ass and takes names, the kids will show up. They are the key. And, they need to feel that each game is an event not to be missed. If the team does its job and the school does a reasonable job of making the students aware of what's up & making the students feel needed/welcome, it'll happen.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

As a flyers fan, I will say that fans/teams DEFINITELY fear going into the Wells Fargo/Wachovia/First Union/Spectrum. Just like going into the madhouse on madison is difficult.

Boston, NY, and Philly are tough because their fans care. Nobody cares at the ryan center, which means there's no passion, which means people who are used to a church school like atmosphere get to enjoy casually sitting at a game and golf clapping when something happens.

I for one hope that there will come a time when that crowd decides that with all the people screaming and standing, that they don't want to be ticket holders anymore and can give their seats up to people that will join in the madness.

I think people forget that fan is short for fanatic - not something that just sits stationary and blows air around.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You need a balance Blue man. Without some of those older folks you don't have a program. Do you think Tom Ryan is screaming like a wild man every play...he's not and I am pretty sure no one wants him to not renew his season tickets given he built the dam place.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote:You need a balance Blue man. Without some of those older folks you don't have a program. Do you think Tom Ryan is screaming like a wild man every play...he's not and I am pretty sure no one wants him to not renew his season tickets given he built the dam place.
Fair point. Tom Ryan is up in the boxes. I obviously don't expect everyone to be on my level all the time...hell, the wine and brie crowd at Gillette will yell at you for being rowdy if you're in certain sections.

I'm just overly frustrated at the church like atmosphere in that place, and worse is the fact that people look at you sideways and would ask you to quiet down instead of just joining in the yelling. It's just a sad state of affairs is all I'm saying.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i hear ya Blue, but i think the environment was driven by the fact that we sucked! i am confident the atmosphere this year will be unlike any other of the past decade plus. and i will be one of those on my feet as often as possible from 211!!!
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Blue Man wrote:
bigappleram wrote:You need a balance Blue man. Without some of those older folks you don't have a program. Do you think Tom Ryan is screaming like a wild man every play...he's not and I am pretty sure no one wants him to not renew his season tickets given he built the dam place.
Fair point. Tom Ryan is up in the boxes.
Not that I don't get your point and agree that people need to get off their feet but Tom Ryan has seats in 212 and is often seated there when he attends games.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

GansettSummer wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Fair point. Tom Ryan is up in the boxes.
Not that I don't get your point and agree that people need to get off their feet but Tom Ryan has seats in 212 and is often seated there when he attends games.
Haha we're fixated on Tom Ryan too much. If we were to do a cost-benefit analysis of how much people bring to the club in terms of donations/in-building atmosphere...TR would break the scale I'm sure.

He is the exception and not the rule. Certainly he can do what he wants and nobody can say anything. He's putting his money where his mouth is or isn't, depending on the analogy. Too many people that aren't donating to a Tom Ryan or any level aren't doing anything on the fan side either. That's the problem.

Give to Rhody's NIL