2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by bigappleram »

Don’t think people realize just how good Zek has been thus far. Performing at an all league level.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm thinking Bilau's minutes will steadily increase so that by the time conference play starts a month from now, he'll be close to a full go. Looking at his stats, he has played 38 minutes, or basically one full game. In only 38 minutes, he has 9 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks and 17 rebounds. I think he's clearly our #1 big going forward. He's been impressive.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago I'm thinking Bilau's minutes will steadily increase so that by the time conference play starts a month from now, he'll be close to a full go. Looking at his stats, he has played 38 minutes, or basically one full game. In only 38 minutes, he has 9 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks and 17 rebounds. I think he's clearly our #1 big going forward. He's been impressive.
Ya, I hope so. I understand he's been hurt, but our entire team looked exhausted last night. I'm sorry, but if your team isn't conditioned enough, that falls on the head coach... A little worrisome, honestly. Archie brought it up. He knows the deal, but why are they not in good enough shape to play a full game against a legitimate opponent?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bilau has amazing footwork. and ball skills.
He more than held his own trying to cover Hopkins out by the three point line. I hope he stays healthy.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Bilau has amazing footwork. and ball skills.
He more than held his own trying to cover Hopkins out by the three point line. I hope he stays healthy.
Yes, injuries with him are a concern but at least we have some depth there.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree he looks the best of the 4 bigs , would like to see him starting and playing 25-30 mins per game
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’d expect some lineup changes. Will be interesting to see what Archie does.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 months ago I’d expect some lineup changes. Will be interesting to see what Archie does.
So after 9 games of the exact same line up Miller shakes it up with several changes.

1. Bilau Starts at 5-Center. Fuchs out with concussion
2. Wright Starts at 1-Point Guard and plays a game high 35 minutes
3. Kortright moves to wing in a 4 guard line up
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I liked Wright starting at PG. The only problem was, Charleston clearly made some adjustments at half time and neutralized whatever URI was doing.

Still, that might work out good, have him play the first half at PG and see how it goes.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Bilau and Fuchs should probably share the Center position as well. Enough with the experimenting, Fuchs is just too plodding to be a 4.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I could care less who plays, let's string together some W's

ETA: Mods feel free to move this to the apathy thread if more appropriate
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

and the other two house and Montgomery
so 4 guards one big
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago I think Bilau and Fuchs should probably share the Center position as well. Enough with the experimenting, Fuchs is just too plodding to be a 4.
I don't care where Fuchs plays, wherever Miller wants to put him. Fuchs is 10th in the A10 in Rebounding helping URI to be the 3rd best rebounding team among the 15 teams.
10th best rebounder as a Freshman, and with all the complaints about him on this board just imagine if he fixes just half of the things he is criticized for - that 10th best in the Conference will move right up.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjv wrote: 5 months ago and the other two house and Montgomery
so 4 guards one big
I think Estevez is going to push House, Kortright and Montgomery for minutes, maybe even a starting spot in the future
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
rjv wrote: 5 months ago and the other two house and Montgomery
so 4 guards one big
I think Estevez is going to push House, Kortright and Montgomery for minutes, maybe even a starting spot in the future
Is the future, like, maybe...hopefully...next week?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago I think Bilau and Fuchs should probably share the Center position as well. Enough with the experimenting, Fuchs is just too plodding to be a 4.
I don't care where Fuchs plays, wherever Miller wants to put him. Fuchs is 10th in the A10 in Rebounding helping URI to be the 3rd best rebounding team among the 15 teams.
10th best rebounder as a Freshman, and with all the complaints about him on this board just imagine if he fixes just half of the things he is criticized for - that 10th best in the Conference will move right up.
No offense, meant. But just like with Hill on the football team this year, I think you need to be more than what your stats are. You need to pass the eye test, and you need to be a net positive to your team in terms of winning, else those stats mean very little. I do agree we need rebounding. And I do agree that I have Fuchs ahead of Brown after that last game.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was hopeful that Brown would evolve into a starter on this team, but he was given basically starters minutes that last game and he looked very "not ready for prime time" for lack of a better word. That is unfortunate. I made the mistake of thinking he would be another Bilau out of JuCo.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 5 months ago I was hopeful that Brown would evolve into a starter on this team, but he was given basically starters minutes that last game and he looked very "not ready for prime time" for lack of a better word. That is unfortunate. I made the mistake of thinking he would be another Bilau out of JuCo.
'not ready for prime time' is not 'a' word...unless.... you 'bundle 'em
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

that's what the "quotes" were for
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
No offense, meant. But just like with Hill on the football team this year, I think you need to be more than what your stats are. You need to pass the eye test, and you need to be a net positive to your team in terms of winning, else those stats mean very little. I do agree we need rebounding. And I do agree that I have Fuchs ahead of Brown after that last game.
My eye test has never considered Fuchs to not be in the starting line up. I go to all the home games and watch with my own eyes. I've liked him from Game 1 Period. I'd be very disappointed if he was not on this team.

No surprise Charleston out rebounded us 38-31 with the 4 guard line up. Something the 4 guards will have to offset with the advantage of the middle being unclogged assuming Miller stays with the 4 guard lineup. I hope he doesn't but most here seem to want that.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fuchs isn’t a world beater, but he’s not a stiff either.

I continue to be very confused why he’s getting so much criticism.

Sure, he deserves some for his lack of effort every now and then, but people defended Jermaine Harris more (yes, 99% of you did) than Fuchs and Fuchs is 2X the player.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago

My eye test has never considered Fuchs to not be in the starting line up. I go to all the home games and watch with my own eyes. I've liked him from Game 1 Period. I'd be very disappointed if he was not on this team.

No surprise Charleston out rebounded us 38-31 with the 4 guard line up. Something the 4 guards will have to offset with the advantage of the middle being unclogged assuming Miller stays with the 4 guard lineup. I hope he doesn't but most here seem to want that.
The competition for minutes is real ! Looks like we have 10 guys in the rotation not including Dubs being the 11th man !

Arch is in a tough spot as it’s hard to play more than 9 guys when we are @ full strength
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

My top priority is seeing Cam play more. I don't really care whose minutes he takes. honestly, I just love that kids' game, and I think he's only getting started.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Fuchs isn’t a world beater, but he’s not a stiff either.

I continue to be very confused why he’s getting so much criticism.

Sure, he deserves some for his lack of effort every now and then, but people defended Jermaine Harris more (yes, 99% of you did) than Fuchs and Fuchs is 2X the player.
So why don’t you push back at those why have trashed Fuchs here? There have been plenty of opportunities.
Go ahead and solicit a discussion with those posters and see why they think the way they do to help you with your confusion. You know who they are. Not many actually.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago My top priority is seeing Cam play more. I don't really care whose minutes he takes. honestly, I just love that kids' game, and I think he's only getting started.
I get you want Cam to play more. Consider his getting more playing time depends upon how he performs. How he performs could very much depend upon who he is on the court with.

Look at the Assisted Layups (4) and 3 Pointers (7). It is the Rookies involved in the majority of Layups and 3 Pointers made and assisted

URI had 11 Assists, Charleston had 16 assists

Rookies in Green

• Montgomery (0 assists, 3 TOs, 0 Steals) and House (0 assists, 5 TOs, 0 Steals). 2 Veteran Starting Guards with Combined Zero Assists, 8 TOs and Zero Steals. Unacceptable
  • 7 of the 11 Assists were by Rookies: 6 Wright, 1 Dubsky, 1 Estevez. Kortright had 2, Brown 1
  • 4 Assisted Hoops were Layups: 2 Layups assisted by Wright, 1 by Dubsky and 1 by Kortright off his own steal
  • 7 Assisted 3 Pointers:
  • Wright 3P assisted by Kortright
  • Kortright 3P assisted by Wright
  • Dubsky (2 3P's) assisted by Wright and Estevez
  • Estevez (3 3P's) assisted by Wright, Brown and Wright
1st Half
19:18 3-Pointer by Wright - Assisted by Kortright
15:37 Layup by Bilau - Assisted by Wright
14:05 Layup by House - Assisted by Wright
11:50 Steal by Kortright - Layup by Montgomery - Assist by Kortright
2:04 Layup by Foumena - Assisted by Dubsky

2nd half
18:38 3-Pointer by Kortright - Assisted by Wright
16:08 3-Pointer by Estevez - Assisted by Wright
8:35 3-Pointer by Dubsky - Assisted by Wright
7:45 3-Pointer by Dubsky - Assisted by Estevez
4:36 3-Pointer by Estevez - Assisted by Brown
0:48 3-Pointer by Estevez - Assisted by Wright
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Normally, the younger players start getting more minutes for Archie when they start playing better on the defensive end.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 steal in 10 games by Montgomery.
The non-younger players aren’t dominating on the defensive end
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago 1 steal in 10 games by Montgomery.
There's a lot more to defense than steals. Anyway, I'm not saying Cam isn't playing good defense. I haven't seen enough recent games to make a judgment on that. I'm just saying that's what Archie usually does.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
There's a lot more to defense than steals. Anyway, I'm not saying Cam isn't playing good defense. I haven't seen enough recent games to make a judgment on that. I'm just saying that's what Archie usually does.
Absolutely. Much more than steals. In fact some players go for steals so much so that they sacrifice on the defensive end and the big men have to make up for it.

These are desperate times in need of desperate measures.

Miller playing Wright a game hi 35.5 minutes and Estevez a 2nd best 28 minutes was a message sent.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think the thought that I've settled on to keep my sanity is that nothing really matters now but conference play and the A10 tourney.

So the rotations are all experiments at this point to get us playing better for meaningful basketball. I like that Archie is tinkering a lot, and hopefully we continue to see change and reactions to what's working/not working on the court.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Absolutely. Much more than steals. In fact some players go for steals so much so that they sacrifice on the defensive end and the big men have to make up for it.

Miller playing Wright a game hi 35.5 minutes and Estevez a 2nd best 28 minutes was a message sent.
Having 2 rotation players out had something to do with that too.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, that's my point with Cam. I want to see him play with a full roster. I know defense isn't all about steals, but he had 2. I thought he played hard on that end, but he can only do so much as he will need to hit the weight room and get stronger. But he's clearly very talented on the offensive end. Ways impressed me as well. He looked much better than I expected, so I gave him props.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

Ya, that's my point with Cam. I want to see him play with a full roster. I know defense isn't all about steals, but he had 2. I thought he played hard on that end, but he can only do so much as he will need to hit the weight room and get stronger. But he's clearly very talented on the offensive end. Ways impressed me as well. He looked much better than I expected, so I gave him props.
Having 2 rotation players out did help Wright and Estevez get more minutes but to get 35.5 and 28 respectively, highest on the team. was not all due to the shorter rotation with Fuchs and Weston out. In fact Fuchs allowed more guard minutes available because Miller went with the 4 Guard Lineup.

So with a shorter rotation and 4 guard lineup Kortright, House and Montgomery should have gotten more minutes distributed their way. not less. None of the 3 regular starting guards had found trouble impact their minutes played.

Wright 35 - 17.2 above his ave of 17.8
Estevez 28 - 13 above his ave of 15.2

Kortright 27 - 4.4 below his ave of 31.4
House 24.5 - 3.5 below his ave of 28
Montgomery 27 - 3.3 below his ave of 30.3
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

Having 2 rotation players out did help Wright and Estevez get more minutes but to get 35.5 and 28 respectively, highest on the team. was not all due to the shorter rotation with Fuchs and Weston out. In fact Fuchs allowed more guard minutes available because Miller went with the 4 Guard Lineup.

So with a shorter rotation and 4 guard lineup Kortright, House and Montgomery should have gotten more minutes distributed their way. not less. None of the 3 regular starting guards had found trouble impact their minutes played.

Wright 35 - 17.2 above his ave of 17.8
Estevez 28 - 13 above his ave of 15.2

Kortright 27 - 4.4 below his ave of 31.4
House 24.5 - 3.5 below his ave of 28
Montgomery 27 - 3.3 below his ave of 30.3
I hope so. Part of me thinks Archie went with the young guys because our vets gave up, and he was sending a message. If the vets play hard from the tip I could see Cam going back to limited minutes. I hope I'm wrong, as he has way too much potential to sit on the bench in a year where wins and losses don't really matter that much.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but I think this could pertain to Green and anyone else who had a waiver request. I'm no lawyer so I won't pretend to understand all of what's going on, but a decision is supposedly coming down today.

This Twitter account has been posting updates throughout the day.

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Wasn't really sure where to put this, but I think this could pertain to Green and anyone else who had a waiver request. I'm no lawyer so I won't pretend to understand all of what's going on, but a decision is supposedly coming down today.

This Twitter account has been posting updates throughout the day.

Fingers 🤞
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Players stuck in the waiver process have been testifying at this hearing.

Deion "Kick Rocks" Sanders
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Boom
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I wish I knew what any of this actually means! :lol:
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

College athletes who were denied the chance to play immediately after transferring a second time can return to competition, for now, after a federal judge issued a 14-day temporary restraining order Wednesday against the NCAA.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

So how long until we announce something about Green?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bring back illegal backdoor deals, one year sit out transfers, no waivers, no 24/25/26 year old players.

This is a goddamn mess and exhausting.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Bring back illegal backdoor deals, one year sit out transfers, no waivers, no 24/25/26 year old players.

I agree that this waiver deal is a mess and stupid. I kind of want a halfway solution - I think players shouldn't have to sit for a first time transfer (because they and coaches make mistakes when it comes to evaluation), or if they're a graduate transfer. I'm fine with all two-time transfers having to sit a semester or a year, regardless of the reason why you're transferring.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Bring back illegal backdoor deals, one year sit out transfers, no waivers, no 24/25/26 year old players.

I agree that this waiver deal is a mess and stupid. I kind of want a halfway solution - I think players shouldn't have to sit for a first time transfer (because they and coaches make mistakes when it comes to evaluation), or if they're a graduate transfer. I'm fine with all two-time transfers having to sit a semester or a year, regardless of the reason why you're transferring.
This is kind of where I'm at now to. The waiver business is just never going to work. The one exception I could maybe see is if a coach leaves.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago

This is kind of where I'm at now to. The waiver business is just never going to work. The one exception I could maybe see is if a coach leaves.
They should have at least been consistent with who they grant waivers to.

You had David Green sitting there after enduring three coaching changes, transferring after only 6 games, Deion's kick rocks orphans all ineligible when all these other guys got waivers for less.
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Archie should just play him Saturday. Fuck the NCAA :lol:. What a mess.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago Archie should just play him Saturday. Fuck the NCAA :lol:. What a mess.
Its probably what everyone will do.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The interesting thing will be if Green, and Archie, want to potentially blow a year of eligibility knowing that the judge could allow the NCAA's transfer rules to be put back into place in two weeks and you lose a year to play Delaware at a neutral site and home vs New Hampshire
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is great for Green and the others, but this is going to make the portal even more insane than it is now if this ruling is permanent. A free for all. 4 colleges in 4 years would now be possible with players going to the highest bidder year after year.