Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

St Joe's with a big win over Princeton
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago St Joe's with a big win over Princeton
Yes sir ! Princeton is solid too !
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Brown got pummeled
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.
Their opponent strength of schedule is currently 322 by KenPom, 302 by Sports Reference. Might get better if they can beat Princeton and Charleston, but right now Villanova is their marquee win, and I've got no idea how good it's going to look by year's end. (Maybe Temple turns out to be a quality win too.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago
Their opponent strength of schedule is currently 322 by KenPom, 302 by Sports Reference. Might get better if they can beat Princeton and Charleston, but right now Villanova is their marquee win, and I've got no idea how good it's going to look by year's end. (Maybe Temple turns out to be a quality win too.)
Bubble time?
You guys are seriously talking about At Large A10 Bids?
Come on man.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

Bubble time?
Come on man.
People were talking about us getting an at large for the last month.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bubble time?
Come on man.
But you said “ That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time”. Other people didn’t say it, you did.
How may At Large Bids do you think we will get? Multiple?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bubble time?
Come on man.
But you said “ That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time”. Other people didn’t say it, you did.
Did I say anyone team is getting a bid? No.

I said St Joes may be on the bubble and that loss could hurt them.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure you did. You didn’t say “may” or “could”. You said “is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.”

You are moving the goalposts.

“That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.”

Assumes St Joe’s will be on the bubble and Tx Commerce Loss will hurt them.

Maybe you will be right. And how many At Large Bids do you anticipate for the A10 in addition to St Joseph’s?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sure you did. You didn’t say “may” or “could”. You said “is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.”

“That loss to D1 transitioning Texas A M Commerce is gonna come back to haunt them come bubble time.”

Maybe you will be right. And how many At Large Bids do you anticipate for the A10 in addition to St Joseph’s?
Show me where I said I expect St Joes to get an at large. Ah that’s right, I didn’t.

I said the loss will haunt them, can’t you comprehend that means I don’t expect them to get an at large?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Show me where I said I expect St Joes to get an at large. Ah that’s right, I didn’t.

I said the loss will haunt them, can’t you comprehend that means I don’t expect them to get an at large?
When you say the loss to Texas A&M Commerce will come back to haunt them come bubble time says to me that you think St Joseph’s is or was a bubble team - otherwise the loss to Texas A&M Commerce would not haunt them. If St Joseph’s was 1-9 and lost to Texas A&M I’d guess you would not have said it.

If St Joseph’s had beaten Texas A&M then I would assume you would believe St Joseph’s to be a bubble team.

Which is fine. I’m high on Billy Lange and St Joseph’s. Bubble team? I doubt it but I’m rooting for them. They won two games in A10 Tournament in March, kept the key players and recruited well. Potential to win the A10 AQ

So maybe we agree!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

When you say the loss to Texas A&M Commerce will come back to haunt them come bubble time says to me that you think St Joseph’s is or was a bubble team - otherwise the loss to Texas A&M Commerce would not haunt them. If St Joseph’s was 1-9 and lost to Texas A&M I’d guess you would not have said it.

If St Joseph’s had beaten Texas A&M then I would assume you would believe St Joseph’s to be a bubble team.

Which is fine. I’m high on Billy Lange and St Joseph’s. Bubble team? I doubt it but I’m rooting for them. They won two games in A10 Tournament in March, kept the key players and recruited well. Potential to win the A10 AQ

So maybe we agree!
At this time, I think you can probably add Duquesne, Dayton, and the Bonnies to that speculation or discussion.
But regardless how they end up, I have a feeling the NCAA/Cartel will see to it that doesn't happen.
Last edited by Jersey77 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m reading it as “if it weren’t for that loss to Texas A&M CC, they’d probably be a bubble team” which is 100% true at this point.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I’m reading it as “if it weren’t for that loss to Texas A&M CC, they’d probably be a bubble team” which is 100% true at this point.
At least someone can comprehend what I'm writing.

(Sorry couldn't resist)
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I’m reading it as “if it weren’t for that loss to Texas A&M CC, they’d probably be a bubble team” which is 100% true at this point.
At least someone can comprehend what I'm writing.

(Sorry couldn't resist)
That’s exactly how I read it

And therefore IF St Joseph’s had beaten Texas A&M Commerce then Rhody15 would be saying St Joseph’s is a bubble team.
This is not rocket science.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That’s correct.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago

So maybe we agree!
At this time, I think you can probably add Duquesne, Dayton, and the Bonnies to that speculation or discussion.
But regardless how they end up, I have a feeling the NCAA/Cartel will see to it that doesn't happen.
George Mason currently 2nd in NET

Couple more weeks before the OOC NET base is established

IMG_1448.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So maybe we agree!

IMG_1448.png
Jeez , dead last in NET , we are jonsing for a win !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So maybe we agree!

IMG_1448.png
Yeah Ramster GM may have the 2nd NET currently and one of 8 teams with 2 losses, but I don't think are talented enough to make a strong run like the teams mentioned above. Now if Haynes was eligible for them this season, that would be a different story.

GW looks like they made a good hire with Caputo in 2022, another team with only 2 losses.
I am surprised that the 3 freshmen Buchanan, Johnson, and Autrey have all made such a big impact so far.
We all knew that Bishop and Edwards are studs.

La Salle (8-2) has a very talented backcourt, but the frontcourt is a question mark, although (C)Jocius and wings Shepherd and Marrero have been serviceable.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

If St Joe's had beaten A&M Commerce they would likely be "in" the tournament. They ARE a bubble team right now and have a path to play themselves into the tourney despite their Q4 loss.

Their NET is 62nd right now.

2-1 Q1
0-0 Q2
1-0 Q3
5-1 Q4

Hard to say how much better their NET would be had they beaten Commerce, but it likely puts them in the "in" category with no bad losses and two quad 1 wins. If not "in" then verrrry close.

As it stands they have

Only five Q4 landmines left on their schedule. Eight Q3, seven Q2's and one Q1.

Yes everything is constantly in flux, but they are very much a bubble team right now, but yeah they'll make it close to impossible if they have anymore bad losses.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The last few years have shown that good wins trump bad losses everytime, st joes will be fine if they keep winning the big ones and not losing almost everything else
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 5 months ago The last few years have shown that good wins trump bad losses everytime, st joes will be fine if they keep winning the big ones and not losing almost everything else
Nova and Princeton will probably end up really good wins by the end of the year.

SJU has Iona, Charleston (Q2 road game) and Loyola MD to close out the OOC. Win those and that 62nd NET ranking could be in the 50's or 40's going into league play. If they are in the 30 to 40 range by selection Sunday then they could be in really good shape.

Too bad they're getting a Q3 loss in Kingston come Jan 3rd...
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago If St Joe's had beaten A&M Commerce they would likely be "in" the tournament. They ARE a bubble team right now and have a path to play themselves into the tourney despite their Q4 loss.

Their NET is 62nd right now.

2-1 Q1
0-0 Q2
1-0 Q3
5-1 Q4

Hard to say how much better their NET would be had they beaten Commerce, but it likely puts them in the "in" category with no bad losses and two quad 1 wins. If not "in" then verrrry close.

As it stands they have

Only five Q4 landmines left on their schedule. Eight Q3, seven Q2's and one Q1.

Yes everything is constantly in flux, but they are very much a bubble team right now, but yeah they'll make it close to impossible if they have anymore bad losses.
Good breakdown, PRT. 👍🏼
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t feel good about any A10 @ large chances , if it’s anything close expect the NIT
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Saturday should be a defining day (OOC) for the A10, plenty of action and tough games.

La Salle at Miami (FL) 12:00pm CW
Temple at VCU 2:00pm ESPN+
Fordham vs. St. John's 3:30pm FS1
Florida Atlantic vs. St. Bonaventure 4:00pm ESPNU
Loyola Chicago at South Florida 4:00pm ESPN+
Delaware vs. Rhode Island 4:30pm FloSports
Loyola Maryland at George Mason 6:00pm ESPN+
West Virginia vs. UMass 6:30pm ESPNU
Charlotte at Richmond 7:00pm ESPN+
Dayton vs. Cincinnati 7:00pm ESPN+
Saint Joseph's vs. Iona 7:00pm FloSports
Louisiana Tech at Saint Louis 8:00pm ESPN+
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_1448.png
Yeah Ramster GM may have the 2nd NET currently and one of 8 teams with 2 losses, but I don't think are talented enough to make a strong run like the teams mentioned above. Now if Haynes was eligible for them this season, that would be a different story.
GMU leads along with Dayton the A10 in 3P% at 40.3%.
Keyshawn Hall leads the A10 in rebounds with 9.0 rpg and Amari Kelly is 6th in the A10 with 7.2 rpg. 2 formidable big men.

GW looks like they made a good hire with Caputo in 2022, another team with only 2 losses.
I am surprised that the 3 freshmen Buchanan, Johnson, and Autrey have all made such a big impact so far.
The big stud is Babatunde Akingbola who leads the A10 with 3.8 blocks per game. He had a GW record 11 blocks in one game. Maximus Edwards is 5th A10 with 7.5 rebounds per game and Garrett Johnson is 7th with 7.1 rpg. Throw in 6'7" Darren Buchanan 21st with 5.7rpg. They rebound and play solid defense down low.

La Salle (8-2) has a very talented backcourt, but the frontcourt is a question mark, although (C)Jocius and wings Shepherd and Marrero have been serviceable.
Jocius is 13th in A10 with 6.4 reg and Shepard is 17th with 6.1 rpg plus Khalil Brantley is 23rd in A10 with 5.6 rpg as a wing.

Looking at some other teams with strong rebounding big men tandems:
Dayton has DaRon Holmes 10th 6.9 reg and Nate Santos 9th 6.9 rpg
UMASS has Josh Cohen 3rd 8.0 rpg and Matt Cross 4th 7.6 rpg
Last year the Final 4 Teams had strong rebounding and defense from playing 2 big men. VCU, Dayton, Fordham and St Louis.
The Top 4 Teams and Players in the Top 25 in Rebounding:
1-seed VCU:
7th Jalen DeLoach 6.9 - transferred to Georgia
22nd Jamir Watkins 5.4 - transferred to Florida State
25th Brandon Johns 5.2 - grad transfer from Michigan who graduated

2-seed Dayton:
1st Toumani Camara 8.6 - went early too NBA. Drafted 2nd round, traded. Starting for Portland Trailblazers.
3rd DaRon Holmes 8.1 - returned to Dayton

3-seed Fordham:
8th Khalid Moore 6.7 - Grad transfer from Georgia Tech who graduated
13th Abdou Tsimbila 6.2 - returned to Fordham

4-seed St Louis
2nd Francis Okoro 8.5 - Graduated

All 4 SemiFinalist had at least 1 player in the Top 8 Rebounders. Dayton had 2. VCU had 3 in the Top 25 rebounders. From those 4 teams with 8 players in the Top 25 rebounding, only Holmes and Tsimbila returned.
Camara went early to NBA
Moore and Johns were 1 year Grad Transfers
Okoro graduated
DeLoach and Watkins transferred to P5 Schools

Rebounding, effort and toughness is what I saw separating the A10 Semifinalists last year in stats but also visually on the court. Just at another level from the rest of the A10.

Primary reason why I don't care for 4 guard lineups. While the 4 guard offense can work vs the middle and bottom of the A10 teams, the upper Tier A10 Teams have multiple big men who are physical and talented rebounders. To win the A10 AQ you must have 2 big men who can rebound and defend imho.

Looking forward to this years A10 Tournament because there are no clear cut dominating teams and the bottom and middle of the conference have had numerous teams improve. Going to be exciting watching teams striving for the AQ.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

IMG_1448.png
Keyshawn Hall leads the A10 in rebounds with 9.0 rpg and Amari Kelly is 6th in the A10 with 7.2 rpg. 2 formidable big men.

The big stud is Babatunde Akingbola who leads the A10 with 3.8 blocks per game. He had a GW record 11 blocks in one game. Maximus Edwards is 5th A10 with 7.5 rebounds per game and Garrett Johnson is 7th with 7.1 rpg. Throw in 6'7" Darren Buchanan 21st with 5.7rpg. They rebound and play solid defense down low.

Jocius is 13th in A10 with 6.4 reg and Shepard is 17th with 6.1 rpg plus Khalil Brantley is 23rd in A10 with 5.6 rpg as a wing.

Last year the Final 4 Teams had strong rebounding and defense from playing 2 big men. VCU, Dayton, Fordham and St Louis.
1-seed VCU:
25th Brandon Johns 5.2 - grad transfer from Michigan State who graduated

2-seed Dayton:
1st Toumani Camara 8.6 - went early too NBA. Drafted 2nd round, traded. Starting for Portland Trailblazers.

3-seed Fordham:

4-seed St Louis

All 4 SemiFinalist had at least 1 player in the Top 8 Rebounders. Dayton had 2. VCU had 3 in the Top 25 rebounders.

Rebounding, effort and toughness is what I saw separating the A10 Semifinalists last year in stats but also visually on the court. Just at another level from the rest of the A10.

Primary reason why I don't care for 4 guard lineups. While the 4 guard offense can work vs the middle and bottom of the A10 teams, the upper Tier A10 Teams have multiple big men who are physical and talented rebounders. To win the A10 AQ you must have 2 big men who can rebound and defend imho.

Looking forward to this years A10 Tournament because there are no clear cut dominating teams and the bottom and middle of the conference have had numerous teams improve. Going to be exciting watching teams striving for the AQ.
Yes Ramster overall I do agree with you about the A10, and aside from the typical strong guard play, there are some talented bigs.

Caputo and GW did a great job in adding rim protector Akingbola in late July.
That addition may have moved them up a level, along with the strong play of their 2 freshmen forwards.
We all knew what guards Bishop and Edwards are capable of.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Saturday should be a defining day (OOC) for the A10, plenty of action and tough games.

La Salle at Miami (FL) 12:00pm CW
Temple at VCU 2:00pm ESPN+
Fordham vs. St. John's 3:30pm FS1
Florida Atlantic vs. St. Bonaventure 4:00pm ESPNU
Loyola Chicago at South Florida 4:00pm ESPN+
Delaware vs. Rhode Island 4:30pm FloSports
Loyola Maryland at George Mason 6:00pm ESPN+
West Virginia vs. UMass 6:30pm ESPNU
Charlotte at Richmond 7:00pm ESPN+
Dayton vs. Cincinnati 7:00pm ESPN+
Saint Joseph's vs. Iona 7:00pm FloSports
Louisiana Tech at Saint Louis 8:00pm ESPN+
Really good slate there , 2 biggest FAU Bonnie’s and Dayton Cinci
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

1-seed VCU:

2-seed Dayton:

3-seed Fordham:

4-seed St Louis

All 4 SemiFinalist had at least 1 player in the Top 8 Rebounders. Dayton had 2. VCU had 3 in the Top 25 rebounders.

Yes Ramster overall I do agree with you about the A10, and aside from the typical strong guard play, there are some talented bigs.

That addition may have moved them up a level, along with the strong play of their 2 freshmen forwards.
Good posts above. Well thought out.

For this particular Rhody team right now, I lean towards a one big lineup for mainly O reasons ( more floor spacing, better ball handling, crisper passing, etc ). Although I do concede that our rebounding may suffer more than I anticipate.

I haven’t given the D much consideration with the one big lineup.

Ramster, you present good info and a compelling argument for 2 bigs but sometimes I like to go against the trend and make a new trend.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

1-seed VCU:

2-seed Dayton:

3-seed Fordham:

4-seed St Louis

For this particular Rhody team right now, I lean towards a one big lineup for mainly O reasons ( more floor spacing, better ball handling, crisper passing, etc ). Although I do concede that our rebounding may suffer more than I anticipate.

Ramster, you present good info and a compelling argument for 2 bigs but sometimes I like to go against the trend and make a new trend.
Many were wanting Fuchs gone from the line up blaming him for most of our woes.
Many of those same were wanting 1 big and 4 guards
And
Many of those same were wanting Bilau starting

They got all 3 vs Charleston. Fuchs gone, 4 guards and Bilau starting

And then what happened

Crickets on those 3 solutions

Our 3 guards rebound poorly, defense lacks, out star guard has 1 steal in our 1st game and none since, we got 4 FTs total hitting 3 as our guards don’t like contact, not very physical but we want to add a 4th guard because our bigs are no good?

Just reaching, grasping for straws as the saying goes.

If you want to win the A10 Tournament then reach for the sky and build a line up that can compete with the Top Tier Teams.

4 guards you can get away with maybe vs bottom Tier where we are and have been, can work against mid Tier A10 teams but not against Top Tier.

So imho go with 2 bigs, train for the Top Tier because that’s who you have to beat in Barclays. I saw it last year. No way a 4 guard team wins it all in Brooklyn. I’d be shocked.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And

And then what happened

Our 3 guards rebound poorly, defense lacks, out star guard has 1 steal in our 1st game and none since, we got 4 FTs total hitting 3 as our guards don’t like contact, not very physical but we want to add a 4th guard because our bigs are no good?

If you want to win the A10 Tournament then reach for the sky and build a line up that can compete with the Top Tier Teams.

4 guards you can get away with maybe vs bottom Tier where we are and have been, can work against mid Tier A10 teams but not against Top Tier.

So imho go with 2 bigs, train for the Top Tier because that’s who you have to beat in Barclays. I saw it last year. No way a 4 guard team wins it all in Brooklyn. I’d be shocked.
4 guards got us an A10 title, one missed game winner in A10 title game and an NCAA tourney win.

Perimeter guys win in March, everyone knows that.

We didn’t start slow against Charleston and Fuchs didn’t play.

Don’t think that’s a coincidence.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

And

And then what happened

I mean - the team looked significantly better with 4 guards - but it hurt not having Weston.

I said this in another post, but at the end of the Brown game we looked better with 4 guards even with Fuchs at the 5.

I still think Fuchs isn't that great, but at the 5 he's definitely serviceable and a solid option for some minutes. He can't play the 4 though, he's too slow.

It was a game against C of C until it wasn't. That had less to do with the roster and more to do with the attitude of said players.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points, Ramster but we differ at this time. I think a one big lineup with Zek and Weston could give us sufficient rebounding against A10 bigs. Zek is one of our leading rebounders as a non-big (if I recall he had a game with 9 ) and I have seen Weston get inside and compete for rebounds although his stats so far this year don’t show it.

To this point in the season I believe we are averaging 5 more rebounds a game versus our opponents but I am unclear as to how much that has helped us overall record-wise. So I am open to going with a one big lineup and attempting to have the 2 bigs lineups adjust to us rather than being concerned with adjusting to them.

However, I am with you regarding Fuchs. I like the player and his potential still.

ETA: similar to what BlueMan posted above. I would still play Fuchs at the 5 then I would give him some 4 minutes situationally only for now.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

The rails came off defensively and we weren't explosive enough on offense to keep up at Charleston. They got hot, what can you say. Maybe it's an attitude thing? Not totally convinced.

We still saw much better ball movement with the four guards in.

Surprised no one has really shouted Always out, he lowkey had his best game. Showed he can score if he tries and I like how he pushes the pace.

With four guards we spaced the floor out so much better and had easier looks at the basket. You just get better matchups that way.

You aren't clogging the lane for House, Zek and Luis and there will be more open 3's for Weston, Zek, Cam and Dubs (if he plays)

I dont think anyone in the A-10 plays with two bigs anyway, so I don't see anybody tormenting us with size. Bilau can match up with any of them and Fou, Fuchs and Brown have a better chance one on one than they do bunched up down low with another big. It'll keep us from attempting all those awful post entry passes that have led to a million opponent lay ups this year.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PRT, good pick up on Ways. 👍🏼

I overlooked his good play due to my frustration with the game results. Lost in the shuffle, so to speak. Thanks for the reminder.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago The rails came off defensively and we weren't explosive enough on offense to keep up at Charleston. They got hot, what can you say. Maybe it's an attitude thing? Not totally convinced.

We still saw much better ball movement with the four guards in.

Surprised no one has really shouted Always out, he lowkey had his best game. Showed he can score if he tries and I like how he pushes the pace.

With four guards we spaced the floor out so much better and had easier looks at the basket. You just get better matchups that way.

You aren't clogging the lane for House, Zek and Luis and there will be more open 3's for Weston, Zek, Cam and Dubs (if he plays)

I dont think anyone in the A-10 plays with two bigs anyway, so I don't see anybody tormenting us with size. Bilau can match up with any of them and Fou, Fuchs and Brown have a better chance one on one than they do bunched up down low with another big. It'll keep us from attempting all those awful post entry passes that have led to a million opponent lay ups this year.
PRT
I posted this earlier as last year I watched every game in the A10 Tournament at Barclay live including the Championship game.
The 4 Teams in the Semifinals all played with 4 bigs.
Camara and Holmes were 2 of the best. Camara is now starting for the Portland Trailblazers as a Rookie. Not bad for an A10 Rookie Big that played big with DaRom Holmes Jr. In the SemiFinals Camara had if I remember right 17 points and 18 rebounds playing alongside Holmes. In the Championship Camara got in early foul trouble and only played 20 minutes. That was a big factor in VCU beating Dayton. Santos has taken Camara’s place this year.

Here are the rebounding stats for the 4 Semifinalist Teams that had players in the Top 25 rebounders.

1-seed VCU:

2-seed Dayton:

3-seed Fordham:

4-seed St Louis

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

And

And then what happened

I mean - the team looked significantly better with 4 guards - but it hurt not having Weston.

I said this in another post, but at the end of the Brown game we looked better with 4 guards even with Fuchs at the 5.

I still think Fuchs isn't that great, but at the 5 he's definitely serviceable and a solid option for some minutes. He can't play the 4 though, he's too slow.

It was a game against C of C until it wasn't. That had less to do with the roster and more to do with the attitude of said players.
I thought you did not want Fuchs playing at all, certainly not in the starting line up.
You have been very critical of him.

Fuchs is 10th in the A10 in Rebounding and only a Rookie. As time goes on he will get better and likely get better faster than the more experienced 9 guys in front of him in Rebounding because he is so new to the game - more upside potential.

So you and others got your wish to have Fuchs out so the "middle would not be clogged up". Yet House had a whopping 5 Turnovers.

Fuchs out
Bilau in
4 Guards - because things are clogged up

But the boldest move by Miller that nobody has talked about (but PRT just brought up tonight) was starting Wright at Point Guard.

Miller has had the same starting line up for 9 straight games.

Miller played Wright a game high 35 minutes. Next highest was Montgomery and Kortright 27 minutes. House played 24 minutes.

Wright
4-8 FG, 1-3 3P for 9 points
1 rebound
6 assists, 2 turnovers for 3.0 A/TO Ratio
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

Luis Kortright is a decent player. Has an all around game not too much different from a TJ Buchanan. Luis started 10 games for Quinnipiac last year, the rest he was a 6th man. He is a combo guard, not a true Point Guard. He tends to be methodical and average speed, not a quick player as you want Point Guards to be.

I suggested Wright starting at PG after the 1st 2 games. Granted that was early in the season but Kortright did not impress me as a PG. Kortright is more suited to be a Combo guard, playing off the ball. This team needs a true, pure point guard. Somebody to lead this team. push the offense, see the floor, pass first, make others around him better, get players moving without the ball because they have a PG who can and will get it to them.

Is Wright perfect? No. But he is the only Pure Point Guard on this team at this point in time. Maybe Estevez can handle PG, not sure at this point.

But nothing to lose. Glad to see Archie make this move.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I looked @ the 3 point % and Zek is 43% we need to get him more open looks from 3 !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bryant trailed by 6 with 756 left and lost by 32 @ Cinci
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

And

And then what happened

I thought you did not want Fuchs playing at all, certainly not in the starting line up.

Fuchs is 10th in the A10 in Rebounding and only a Rookie. As time goes on he will get better and likely get better faster than the more experienced 9 guys in front of him in Rebounding because he is so new to the game - more upside potential.

So you and others got your wish to have Fuchs out so the "middle would not be clogged up". Yet House had a whopping 5 Turnovers.

Fuchs out
Bilau in

But the boldest move by Miller that nobody has talked about (but PRT just brought up tonight) was starting Wright at Point Guard.

Miller played Wright a game high 35 minutes. Next highest was Montgomery and Kortright 27 minutes. House played 24 minutes.

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

Luis Kortright is a decent player. Has an all around game not too much different from a TJ Buchanan. Luis started 10 games for Quinnipiac last year, the rest he was a 6th man. He is a combo guard, not a true Point Guard. He tends to be methodical and average speed, not a quick player as you want Point Guards to be.

I suggested Wright starting at PG after the 1st 2 games. Granted that was early in the season but Kortright did not impress me as a PG. Kortright is more suited to be a Combo guard, playing off the ball. This team needs a true, pure point guard. Somebody to lead this team. push the offense, see the floor, pass first, make others around him better, get players moving without the ball because they have a PG who can and will get it to them.

Is Wright perfect? No. But he is the only Pure Point Guard on this team at this point in time. Maybe Estevez can handle PG, not sure at this point.

I feel the same way about Luis, it just feels like he bogs down the offense at times. Always can really push the pace and get the offense moving when he's playing confidently and aggressive.

I couldn't help but notice how much quicker Charleston got down the floor and into their actions. They got the defense rebound and really attacked. They really caught us off guard and demoralized us. Everything they did on offense was much quicker and more decisive than what we were doing. Watched Dayton and St Joe's and they play similarly. Quick guards that push the pace, space the floor, and are decisive. I think Ways can really help our offense move more in that direction as the season goes on if he builds off his performance at Charleston. Don't wanna bench Luis at all either.

As far as the bigs conversation goes...I think you're missing one BIG issue here...we are often playing two CENTERS at a time. Two guys that can't dribble or shoot. I should've been more specific I guess, but I just don't want us playing two centers. Dayton, VCU, Fordham and SLU played one center and multiple guards/wings/forwards.

Surely you don't think us playing two centers is the same thing as playing Tsimbala and Khalid Moore? Holmes/Camara/Santos? DeLoach/Watkins?

That's where we are missing David Green. I think we have tried to use Fuchs in that role and it just doesn't work. Bilau can stretch the floor a little, but it's still not ideal. I do think you can play Bilau with Brown, Fou or Fuchs, but I don't think we should ever throw Fuchs and Brown out there at the same time or Fou/Brown Fou/Fuchs again. Those three need to remain at the five with four guards or Bilau and three other guards. Bilau can shoot and drive it a little bit and he has more quickness so he isn't a total liability at the 4.

If Green had been eligible (f**k the NCAA) I doubt we would have seen the two center hodge podge offense we've seen too much of this year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

Fuchs out
Bilau in

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

I feel the same way about Luis, it just feels like he bogs down the offense at times. Always can really push the pace and get the offense moving when he's playing confidently and aggressive.

I couldn't help but notice how much quicker Charleston got down the floor and into their actions. They got the defense rebound and really attacked. They really caught us off guard and demoralized us. Everything they did on offense was much quicker and more decisive than what we were doing. Watched Dayton and St Joe's and they play similarly. Quick guards that push the pace, space the floor, and are decisive. I think Ways can really help our offense move more in that direction as the season goes on if he builds off his performance at Charleston. Don't wanna bench Luis at all either.

As far as the bigs conversation goes...I think you're missing one BIG issue here...we are often playing two CENTERS at a time. Two guys that can't dribble or shoot. I should've been more specific I guess, but I just don't want us playing two centers. Dayton, VCU, Fordham and SLU played one center and multiple guards/wings/forwards.

Surely you don't think us playing two centers is the same thing as playing Tsimbala and Khalid Moore? Holmes/Camara/Santos? DeLoach/Watkins?

That's where we are missing David Green. I think we have tried to use Fuchs in that role and it just doesn't work. Bilau can stretch the floor a little, but it's still not ideal. I do think you can play Bilau with Brown, Fou or Fuchs, but I don't think we should ever throw Fuchs and Brown out there at the same time or Fou/Brown Fou/Fuchs again. Those three need to remain at the five with four guards or Bilau and three other guards. Bilau can shoot and drive it a little bit and he has more quickness so he isn't a total liability at the 4.

If Green had been eligible (f**k the NCAA) I doubt we would have seen the two center hodge podge offense we've seen too much of this year.
The bigs discussion can go either way nobody complained about 2 bigs until we started losing. All was great. URI was way underrated.

Charleston had your 2 star players:
  • Montgomery (0 assists, 3 TOs, 0 Steals)
  • House (0 assists, 5 TOs, 0 Steals)
  • Veteran Starting Guards with Combined Zero Assists, 8 TOs and Zero Steals. Unacceptable
I’ve seen House get visible upset when he is not passed the ball.

Wright is quick, sees the floor, is pass first dribble second and dribble for a purpose. Things PGs should do

Kortright is slower, more methodical. He was a combo guard at Quinnipiac who was a 6th man. Put him at off guard with Wright at PG and you will see Kortright’s performance improve. Kortright is embraced by Miller because he plays hard, plays to win, plays as a team. Paired with a true PG and removing the PG pressure from help will help him.

We have Montgomery and House who want to score. Lots of dribbling to get open and get their own shot.

The ball moves with passing best.

I’m glad Miller tried 1 Big and Wight at PG. Miller gets it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

Fuchs out
Bilau in

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

The bigs discussion can go either way nobody complained about 2 bigs until we started losing. All was great. URI was way underrated.

Charleston had your 2 star players:
  • Montgomery (0 assists, 3 TOs, 0 Steals)
  • House (0 assists, 5 TOs, 0 Steals)
  • Veteran Starting Guards with Combined Zero Assists, 8 TOs and Zero Steals. Unacceptable
I’ve seen House get visible upset when he is not passed the ball.

Wright is quick, sees the floor, is pass first dribble second and dribble for a purpose. Things PGs should do

Kortright is slower, more methodical. He was a combo guard at Quinnipiac who was a 6th man. Put him at off guard with Wright at PG and you will see Kortright’s performance improve. Kortright is embraced by Miller because he plays hard, plays to win, plays as a team. Paired with a true PG and removing the PG pressure from help will help him.

We have Montgomery and House who want to score. Lots of dribbling to get open and get their own shot.

The ball moves by passing best. Don’t dribble first then shorter then pass. You saw the result of passing and unselfish play with Wright, Kortright, Estevez and Dubsky.

I’m glad Miller tried 1 Big and Wright at PG. And giving playing time to guys who are hungry, unselfish, willing to pass the ball and play hard nose defense. Weight 35 minutes and Estevez 28 minutes were the highs for Charleston. Miller gets it.

These losses are good right now. If we were playing 300+ teams like early in the poor dynamics on the floor would not have surfaced so quickly, if at all.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

And

And then what happened

Fuchs out
Bilau in

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

So again, as I said in a previous post - Fuchs at the 5 is nowhere near as much a liability as he is at the 4. I gave him credit as he was on the floor when the team played their best at the end of the Brown game. It may be as simple as he's too slow and gets exposed trying to play the 4 rather than under the hoop.

But his rebounding stats are overinflated garbage - specifically his offensive rebounds - as he's good for missing 2-4 layups a game and getting a couple of those boards back. If you watch him, most of his rebounds are luck - not effort. Again though, as a 5 - he's still a big body and can hang out under the rim and catch those easy boards. Fine by me. But imagine him against a Holmes? Dude would drop 45 on us.

The 4 guard lineup was clutch for URI during their 2 tourney runs under Hurley. It helps when you have a Kuran Iverson - but Stan was equally key for this team. The game has evolved. Too much speed and too much offense going at the rim to have to flat footed bigs clogging those lanes. You're playing defense against yourself with 2 bigs these days.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Big game for the Bonnies against FAU on a neutral court Saturday in Springfield, Ma.

If Pride (high ankle sprain) is still out, they have an even slimmer chance for the upset win.

Right now, with a healthy Pride (13 pts/ 7 rebs, 42% 3PT) I still feel they are the 2nd best team in the A10 just below Dayton.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fuchs out
Bilau in

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

So again, as I said in a previous post - Fuchs at the 5 is nowhere near as much a liability as he is at the 4. I gave him credit as he was on the floor when the team played their best at the end of the Brown game. It may be as simple as he's too slow and gets exposed trying to play the 4 rather than under the hoop.

But his rebounding stats are overinflated garbage - specifically his offensive rebounds - as he's good for missing 2-4 layups a game and getting a couple of those boards back. If you watch him, most of his rebounds are luck - not effort. Again though, as a 5 - he's still a big body and can hang out under the rim and catch those easy boards. Fine by me. But imagine him against a Holmes? Dude would drop 45 on us.

The 4 guard lineup was clutch for URI during their 2 tourney runs under Hurley. It helps when you have a Kuran Iverson - but Stan was equally key for this team. The game has evolved. Too much speed and too much offense going at the rim to have to flat footed bigs clogging those lanes. You're playing defense against yourself with 2 bigs these days.
As I said, whether he plays 4 or 5 that's up to Miller.
I do know that many were anticipating 4 Guard Line up vs PC. Miller went with Brown and Bilau on and Fuchs on Oduro. I watched Oduro get handled quite well by Francis Okoro when St Louis obliterated George Mason in the QuarterFinals of last year's A10 Tournament. Fuchs did a decent job on Oduro in the PC game. Fuchs got 6 rebounds, 11 points on 5-10 FG and zero TOs vs PC. Oduro got 5 rebounds, 9 points on 3-9 FG and 2 TOs.

I can't argue that most of Fuch's rebounds are luck. A rebound is a rebound. Yes he gets some rebounds off his misses. He is following up his shot. Does that overinflated his rebounds statistics? Maybe they should eliminate follow ups of your own missed shots and lucky rebounds from official rebounding stats. Train the official scorers in that.

I saw Fuch's on Oduro. Camara was a stronger rebounder for Dayton than Holmes was last year. I struggle to see what Holmes would do to URI with a 4 Guard line up to.

You got your wish for the 4 guard line up.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Fuchs out
Bilau in

Wright
1 rebound
1 steal

AT Junior College
26.4 mpg
62-143 = 43.4% 3P
57-67= 85.1% FT
5.3 rebounds per game
6.4 assists per game
20 blocks
51 steals
14.7 pug

Yeah Hurley had played Langevine and Berry at the same time we would've been terribly slow and unskilled.

We could play KI with Hass because he could stretch the floor...like DG was suppose to do.

Too bad Rory is about as athletic as a broom stick.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Big game for the Bonnies against FAU on a neutral court Saturday in Springfield, Ma.

If Pride (high ankle sprain) is still out, they have an even slimmer chance for the upset win.

Right now, with a healthy Pride (13 pts/ 7 rebs, 42% 3PT) I still feel they are the 2nd best team in the A10 just below Dayton.
St Bonaventure is not better than St Joe's. If they don't have Pride then FAU will blow them out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I like the majority of the game with 1 true big with 4 non bigs

It’s important to have some bigs that can shoot from outside , that’s just the way basketball is trending lately
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chicago State beats Northwestern at Northwestern 75-73

NU was favored by 23.5 points