Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago Can’t get it on the phone?
I tried that varsity crap once and it didn't work. Done with that app.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 6 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago Oh yeah I co-sign it. It’s an embarrassment especially when you have Stone fucking Freeman waiting in the wings available during home games. I get you won’t get disano, but there has to be a better way.

Why can’t radio just do a trade with ESPN and sync that up with the broadcast.

The radio listening numbers have to be in the hundreds during a home game.
It's gotta stop. It's a freaking HIGH SCHOOL level operation with all these socially awkward gen z dweebs falling all over themselves.

Do these kids actually want to get into broadcasting? They all SUCK. Totally talentless and they don't know shit about college basketball and nor do they give a flying shit about URI basketball. It's really an insult to the fanbase. I'd imagine those two prepubescent nutsacks, who didn't know how to pronounce any players name correctly, had never heard of Vienna Austria probably don't even know who Fatts Russell is.

Maybe in the offseason someone can bring this to Archie's attention? Or someone who can make a difference. Will we still be trotting these dweebs out here when we are competiting for championships?

Just sync up DiSano and Steve or put Stone and Abu Bakr on there.
This is a little harsh and unfair to the students, in my opinion. I don't blame them for jumping at the chance to have this opportunity. I blame the adults in charge for putting them in that situation to begin with.
A little harsh? It was a douchebag post
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
The app still has its issues but it's much better than it was in the past. Low bar, but it is
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
Depending on where we are in FL, it is the only thing available.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I mean we can't even get on AM radio? What's up with that?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If you mean the post show via app and then Bluetooth - yes, I probably can. Have not yet bothered to download whatever app it's on, actually can someone refresh my memory on that? Also just complaining that it's a shame that we can't just turn the dial. For me I am a micro-manager with my phone battery, so I don't just leave the Bluetooth on all the time. Plus my car is old enough that it doesn't have BT built in to the sound system. So I have one of those stupid fobs you plug into the lighter. So it's multi-step every time as I'm trying to get out of the parking lot. Again, chafe.

P.S., I sell complex product development engineering software so it's not like I'm anti-tech or a luddite...

Back to yelling at clouds now...
Last edited by RI_Bred 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Varsity app
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago Oh yeah I co-sign it. It’s an embarrassment especially when you have Stone fucking Freeman waiting in the wings available during home games. I get you won’t get disano, but there has to be a better way.

Why can’t radio just do a trade with ESPN and sync that up with the broadcast.

The radio listening numbers have to be in the hundreds during a home game.
It's gotta stop. It's a freaking HIGH SCHOOL level operation with all these socially awkward gen z dweebs falling all over themselves.

Do these kids actually want to get into broadcasting? They all SUCK. Totally talentless and they don't know shit about college basketball and nor do they give a flying shit about URI basketball. It's really an insult to the fanbase. I'd imagine those two prepubescent nutsacks, who didn't know how to pronounce any players name correctly, had never heard of Vienna Austria probably don't even know who Fatts Russell is.

Maybe in the offseason someone can bring this to Archie's attention? Or someone who can make a difference. Will we still be trotting these dweebs out here when we are competiting for championships?

Dick
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 6 months ago
ramster wrote: 6 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

Missed opportunity...Pretty sure that, if you include the 4,100 reported, plus filled all the empty seats....could have approached 10K. Place is way bigger than I thought.
Theblueram,
1,500 actual might be a bit low I'd guess 2000.
Easy concessions, easy parking, easy leaving the parking lot
Empty seat areas in the 200 level seems to indicate season ticket renewals are down. That's where the revenue is.
We have this discussion ever year about great disparity in announced attendance versus fannies in seats. Rather than making wild guesses we should think rationally. First, the announced attendance at any game is comprised of the number of students who show up plus comp tickets and the ticket purchases. So any difference between the announced attendance and the turnstile count is the number of no shows which boils down to the season ticket holder crowd. Breaking down the crowd components further shows the following
1) Students
2) Advanced single game purchases
3) Walk-up crowd
4) Mini packages and full season ticket purchases.

Obviously, students are there and in the turnstile counted. People who buy single game tickets in advance are likely to be there, Walk up crowd is obviously there.That leaves the season ticker crowd as the biggest source of the no shows. Season ticket holders total over 2000. So when you claim the fannies in seats are 1500 or 2000, you are really saying that over half of season ticket holders are not showing up for games and that does not make sense.
I think it makes perfect sense. I have 4 season tix and used one (25%). Sat with someone that had two, and also used one (50%). I know of another that also had two and used one (50%), and I know someone else that has two, and didn't use any (0%) From those ten, 70% no show rate right there. The only reason this conversation exists is because...people are curious about "how many people were actually there?", that's all....which seems like a reasonable question, but one that is sure to be shat upon whenever it comes up. Like clockwork. Count on it. :-)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

This is a little harsh and unfair to the students, in my opinion. I don't blame them for jumping at the chance to have this opportunity. I blame the adults in charge for putting them in that situation to begin with.
No if they want to be broadcasters for Rhody how about they give a single shit about the team and the history of the program.

They don't freaking care. They literally had no idea how to pronounce a single players name. They don't know anything about basketball really, let alone URI or college basketball. Why should people who treat the games like they're just trying to get extra credit be given any slack? Of course they're probably good kids and it's all mostly a diss at the whole operation.

Screw the entire operation. They should know how bad they are. It's an affront to the program and to the sanctity of broadcasting.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Let’s get some KB’ers behind the mic !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago Let’s get some KB’ers behind the mic !
I could listen to those Barstool guys every night....get them in here
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I will say I think the play by play students did ok, (sideline guy cmon), but I’m still surprised we have students doing a division 1 espn game or any game for that matter. It was always veteran news broadcasters or former players on cox or espn. This is quite a drop off.
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

sideline guy needs to do a shot a whiskey to calm his nerves down !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Paige Messier was excellent on the sidelines. Nikki Latturulo was great and I now watch her often on SNY, she is going to be a star. She got to interview Dan the other day at Big East media day and they had a fun exchange given they know each other from Kingston days. But it's always going to be hit or miss when you are talking about 20-21 year olds.

Blue had a great point about Stone, and I have no way of knowing but wonder if that created an unrealistic expectation in the admin's minds about student broadcasters. Stone was for sure an outlier. Or whether we created some type of quid pro quo relationship with Harrington and are on the hook for giving the students the mic. Not sure what the MBB team would get from that but I can't fathom how someone would think to put our professional crew on an app streaming to 11 people while leaving our video broadcast with likely a 5-6x size audience in the hands of 20 year olds.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I mean, that's fair, but I remember people shitting on Paige and Nikki.

Also the quid pro quo with the Harrington School isn't something I've thought of before but could make sense. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the things necessary to broadcast the game were provided by the Harrington School, much in the same way I believe Cox was responsible for a lot of the things necessary when they were broadcasting their own games. Just because it's broadcast on an ESPN platform doesn't necessarily mean ESPN is providing any of the things necessary to broadcast on ESPN+
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago I mean, that's fair, but I remember people shitting on Paige and Nikki.

Also the quid pro quo with the Harrington School isn't something I've thought of before but could make sense. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the things necessary to broadcast the game were provided by the Harrington School, much in the same way I believe Cox was responsible for a lot of the things necessary when they were broadcasting their own games. Just because it's broadcast on an ESPN platform doesn't necessarily mean ESPN is providing any of the things necessary to broadcast on ESPN+
I don’t remember anyone shitting on Paige for her sideline work, but again - sideline reporting is a great way to build up experience without taking away from the broadcast product. Play by play is different.

People bitched about Nikki when she tried to be a hype girl in Vanner’s place - but she was always excellent at the sideline reporting gig. That’s why she’s a pro doing that now.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago I mean, that's fair, but I remember people shitting on Paige and Nikki.

I'm pretty sure ESPN provides next to nothing beyond their platform for the ESPN+ broadcasts. I mean there is no chance they are subsidizing even a penny of the Liberty vs Coastal Carolina women's soccer game you can find on there. So your guess about Harrington helping to underwrite some of that could be on point. I also don't discount that marketing just doesn't think of things like that being impt.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

No if they want to be broadcasters for Rhody how about they give a single shit about the team and the history of the program.

They don't freaking care. They literally had no idea how to pronounce a single players name. They don't know anything about basketball really, let alone URI or college basketball. Why should people who treat the games like they're just trying to get extra credit be given any slack? Of course they're probably good kids and it's all mostly a diss at the whole operation.

Screw the entire operation. They should know how bad they are. It's an affront to the program and to the sanctity of broadcasting.
sure, the operation as a whole sucks. I'll give you that. But the personal attacks on the kid broadcasters? give me a break, you're a fucking loser.

these kids aren't D1 athletes playing a major 4 sport with many, many folks at their beck and call and have pretty much all they need to succeed on the floor and in the classroom at their fingertips.

way to doubledown on being a dick. GFY.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I enjoy Paige on her twitter account, The Sports Paige. Give her a follow if you haven't already.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I do remember some folks not happy with Paige as a color analyst during some of the games. I thought she was fine and seemed to have some marked improvement from one game to the next. This was a couple of years ago.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago

sure, the operation as a whole sucks. I'll give you that. But the personal attacks on the kid broadcasters? give me a break, you're a fucking loser.

these kids aren't D1 athletes playing a major 4 sport with many, many folks at their beck and call and have pretty much all they need to succeed on the floor and in the classroom at their fingertips.

This is a perfect encapsulation of America.

"what you're saying is true, but you said it mean so now that gives me the authority to be mean to you while feeling superior while I white knight for people I feel superior to. Because I've done the mental gymnastics in my head, I can tell you to go fuck yourself because I've approved a free pass for myself to act that way. It's totally not hypocritical"

Maybe it's mean, but anyone who's ever studied TV/communications knows how cutthroat that industry is behind the scenes. I guarantee you that same exact sentence would be uttered in a room of producers if a kid submitted a reel like that. It's more mean to tell kids that aren't cut out for on camera work that they're doing great, and leave them to waste years of their career chasing something they shouldn't be.

These aren't defenseless little kids. They're 20 year old college kids trying to figure out career paths and how they're going to make their way in the world. It's much better to get a wakeup call for where you really stand with something in your early 20's, than try to make a run at a career and realize you need to start over at 30.

Anyone has had that moment in their career where they get told a hard truth or get forced into something totally different that ends up working out. You don't do anyone any favors coddling people to spare feelings.

Now, I think PRT might be a little more angry than the situation warrants - but then again, it's definitely embarrassing if the window to URI basketball from the outside world is this broadcast, and it's a slapped together amateur show instead of a professional one.

This is a great message board fight though - usually these are reserved for the offseason when theres not basketball or on gameday. But I love the fire. Bring it to the RC tonight!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Literally no personal insults doubledown on other than they suck. You can't point that out either without being a horrible person? I went a little too far before sure, but if you're that bad you're gonna hear it. I also maybe don't see them as helpless kids since I'm not much older than them? I also maintain they are slightly better this year. I'm still largely directing all of it towards URI. But whatevs.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago

"what you're saying is true, but you said it mean so now that gives me the authority to be mean to you while feeling superior while I white knight for people I feel superior to. Because I've done the mental gymnastics in my head, I can tell you to go fuck yourself because I've approved a free pass for myself to act that way. It's totally not hypocritical"

Maybe it's mean, but anyone who's ever studied TV/communications knows how cutthroat that industry is behind the scenes. I guarantee you that same exact sentence would be uttered in a room of producers if a kid submitted a reel like that. It's more mean to tell kids that aren't cut out for on camera work that they're doing great, and leave them to waste years of their career chasing something they shouldn't be.

These aren't defenseless little kids. They're 20 year old college kids trying to figure out career paths and how they're going to make their way in the world. It's much better to get a wakeup call for where you really stand with something in your early 20's, than try to make a run at a career and realize you need to start over at 30.

Anyone has had that moment in their career where they get told a hard truth or get forced into something totally different that ends up working out. You don't do anyone any favors coddling people to spare feelings.

Now, I think PRT might be a little more angry than the situation warrants - but then again, it's definitely embarrassing if the window to URI basketball from the outside world is this broadcast, and it's a slapped together amateur show instead of a professional one.

This is a great message board fight though - usually these are reserved for the offseason when theres not basketball or on gameday. But I love the fire. Bring it to the RC tonight!
don't put words in my mouth. the kids are fine. they do a great job. you want a pro broadcast, have URI step up its end of the deal.

ESPN gives us the means to put it out there. the rest is on us.

let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us.
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

don't put words in my mouth. the kids are fine. they do a great job. you want a pro broadcast, have URI step up its end of the deal.

let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us.
And probably many on this board that don't gas about the broadcast either.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They don’t do a great job full stop. But I don’t expect them to bc they are students. I’m not going scorched earth on it but these are all the little things that matter if you want to uplevel your program. And when your video audience is likely 4–5x larger than your audio audience then it should be more of a priority.

I am guessing at most 1 other program in our league leaves their video broadcast to students. Every other school uses professionals. It screams small time.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago They don’t do a great job full stop. But I don’t expect them to bc they are students. I’m not going scorched earth on it but these are all the little things that matter if you want to uplevel your program. And when your video audience is likely 4–5x larger than your audio audience then it should be more of a priority.

I am guessing at most 1 other program in our league leaves their video broadcast to students. Every other school uses professionals. It screams small time.
Would love to know the justification of why they're doing it the way they are.
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No ESPN+ here

Got Red Zone tho

Gotta draw the line somewhere 💰

I go to all the home games sounds like a good choice.

Agree URI needs to up the 📺 game ( and Varsity yuk)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago They don’t do a great job full stop. But I don’t expect them to bc they are students. I’m not going scorched earth on it but these are all the little things that matter if you want to uplevel your program. And when your video audience is likely 4–5x larger than your audio audience then it should be more of a priority.

Would love to know the justification of why they're doing it the way they are.
Lack of enough sponsors for TV?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

My theory (complete guess) is Varsity is paying us to broadcast on their app. And a clause in the deal was you use your real announcers not students

Or if they’re not explicitly paying us to stream there, they kick back good $ based on listenership and URI is trying to drive our fans there with the broadcast crew
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For sure Varsity is throwing some coin. But what is the incremental cost to just simulcasting Steve and Chris to the TV feed too. They are both streaming platforms. It can’t be much.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago For sure Varsity is throwing some coin. But what is the incremental cost to just simulcasting Steve and Chris to the TV feed too. They are both streaming platforms. It can’t be much.
You’re asking the school who doesn’t know how have wifi or replays in their arena to simulcast. Sadly that’s probably a pipe dream.

Hopefully Archie wins and demands upgrades to every aspect of this program once he has a little more leverage.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago My theory (complete guess) is Varsity is paying us to broadcast on their app. And a clause in the deal was you use your real announcers not students

Or if they’re not explicitly paying us to stream there, they kick back good $ based on listenership and URI is trying to drive our fans there with the broadcast crew
And if we get revenue for listeners on Varsity don’t you think that would maybe I don’t know prompt there to be 2-3 call outs per game to tune in to Steve and Chris for the post game show. Maybe a booth on the concourse showing people how to download and find the Rhody content on the app. Maybe hand out a laminated card as people leave showing them how to listen on way home. Those things all cost .38 cents to do. I unfortunately think it’s lack of marketing savvy not a money thing. You would think after having your last successful coach talk about the brand the brand the brand when he left one would try to put a bit of focus on it.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They definitely have promos and scoreboard messages plugging the Varsity app
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would be surprised if Varsity was paying us for games. I suspect that its more that they have the infrastructure and the app for URI to use, at little or no cost to the university. They offer the service for more than a thousand universities and organizations seemingly, so I highly doubt they're paying each one. Its a symbiotic relationship, since URI establishing its own app and server space and network logistics for streaming audio over the Internet is probably something they don't want to do.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

No one else in our league uses students. Not La Salle, Duquesne or anybody.

Not just no one else in our league. No one else in the country. Haven't found any other broadcast done by students. I've flipped around to several different small school broadcasts and ZERO of them use students.

Just flipped through some of the broadcasts on demand and New Mexico State, Maine, San Diego, Eastern Illinois, Santa Clara, Seattle, Northern Colorado, Cleveland State, Penn, UC Riverside, LMU and BRYANT all used professionals. Cornell might have used students? They sounded really young, but they definitely knew what they were doing.

So maybe one other school?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago I would be surprised if Varsity was paying us for games. I suspect that its more that they have the infrastructure and the app for URI to use, at little or no cost to the university. They offer the service for more than a thousand universities and organizations seemingly, so I highly doubt they're paying each one. Its a symbiotic relationship, since URI establishing its own app and server space and network logistics for streaming audio over the Internet is probably something they don't want to do.
Maybe a rev share of advertising then...but there has to be a monetary component (along with the back-end support) or why did we take our games off AM radio and put it on Varsity. Especially considering the large majority if not all of the people who are tuning in via radio are local and older and have been tuning in that way for years. If there is no revenue from it then it makes the decision even odder.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Back in the days of Keaney Gym we definitely used students on the radio and they broadcast on WRIU. I remember they always seemed high. Or maybe that was me...
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

An extremely accurate take. Though I think you're underselling the ratio of ESPN stream to Varsity app.

I know there's only us diehards on here looking for the TV stream, and only a few brave souls like you and others who depend on it for home games. But, think of all the other random alums who aren't really on here but are surfing ESPN+ and see Rhody basketball is playing and turn it on. That number is probably significant. We graduate several thousand students a year. Surely some of them are going to stumble on a game. That's a much better chance than a few people who are thumbing through the varsity app looking for something to listen to.

You're 110% right that it's the little things that matter if you want to bring your program up. It's what Dan Hurley was so critical of - EVERYTHING needs to be at a championship level. Archie takes a different approach - figuring that if we start winning games, these little things will start to get corrected. I don't think either way is the "right way" necessarily, as the end goal is the same.

But I will also 100% say that we all make fun of the mickey mouse broadcasts that we'll randomly be subjected to from other schools. It's fair to be beyond pissed that with the resources we do have, that we refuse to address how people consume our product.

I agree it's not the kids fault per se, and they're being put in the deep end of the pool unnecessarily. That said, it's still abysmal and unbecoming. If you're trying to feature your communications school to prospective students - you'd better have the students who can come off as professionals. Otherwise, get professionals and do an internal "URI only" broadcast separate. Lord knows we have the press area to accommodate that set up.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago My theory (complete guess) is Varsity is paying us to broadcast on their app. And a clause in the deal was you use your real announcers not students

And if we get revenue for listeners on Varsity don’t you think that would maybe I don’t know prompt there to be 2-3 call outs per game to tune in to Steve and Chris for the post game show. Maybe a booth on the concourse showing people how to download and find the Rhody content on the app. Maybe hand out a laminated card as people leave showing them how to listen on way home. Those things all cost .38 cents to do. I unfortunately think it’s lack of marketing savvy not a money thing. You would think after having your last successful coach talk about the brand the brand the brand when he left one would try to put a bit of focus on it.
Were inept in many ways from marketing and distribution of our sports and basketball at URI

That being said I would find it very hard to believe we are randomly prioritizing radio over video. There has to be a monetary incentive. Now, even if so, I still thinks it’s a pretty stupid and short sighted way to grow (or not for that matter) our program. Unless Varity $ per listener is insanely more lucrative than I could imagine
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I hate this take. The kids may be "fine" - but they don't do a great job. This isn't a school project. It's a professional extension of our school's multi-million dollar enterprise that is a part of a multi-billion dollar national enterprise.

Saying they do a great job is putting qualifiers on it. You don't put qualifiers on a professional anything. Yeah, they do a "great job" for kids who aren't ready for professional sports broadcasting and seemingly know neither broadcasting nor sports. Who at work gets qualifers on their performance? College is preparation for the real world - but this broadcast is literally the real world in this arena.

As pointed out, just about everyone else uses professionals. That is who these kids are compared to because that's the arena they are in. You don't do kids any favors or get any special life points by lying and saying they're doing great when they're not. Stone Freeman is great. Nikki Lattarulo is great. Ruthie Polinski is great. They are professionals and the exception, not the rule.

But the last line - let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us. - THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Why are you even on the board caring so much about this program while accepting that we shouldn't be any better than we historically have been?

We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball arena. We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball coach. WHY SHOULDN'T THE REST OF THE PROGRAM AND ITS EXTENSIONS BE AT THE SAME LEVEL???

The accepted mediocrity is Baron-esque. Expect and demand more of your program or it will never change.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I hate this take. The kids may be "fine" - but they don't do a great job. This isn't a school project. It's a professional extension of our school's multi-million dollar enterprise that is a part of a multi-billion dollar national enterprise.

Saying they do a great job is putting qualifiers on it. You don't put qualifiers on a professional anything. Yeah, they do a "great job" for kids who aren't ready for professional sports broadcasting and seemingly know neither broadcasting nor sports. Who at work gets qualifers on their performance? College is preparation for the real world - but this broadcast is literally the real world in this arena.

As pointed out, just about everyone else uses professionals. That is who these kids are compared to because that's the arena they are in. You don't do kids any favors or get any special life points by lying and saying they're doing great when they're not. Stone Freeman is great. Nikki Lattarulo is great. Ruthie Polinski is great. They are professionals and the exception, not the rule.

But the last line - let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us. - THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Why are you even on the board caring so much about this program while accepting that we shouldn't be any better than we historically have been?

We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball arena. We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball coach. WHY SHOULDN'T THE REST OF THE PROGRAM AND ITS EXTENSIONS BE AT THE SAME LEVEL???

The accepted mediocrity is Baron-esque. Expect and demand more of your program or it will never change.
where can I get some of those Keaney Blue sunglasses?? truth hurts, eh?

...but it is a school project. email Thorr about it. not me.

who said I accepted anything? I care about what we do on the floor. not some shitty online stream. but again, you go ahead and email the AD. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

yes, nice building. seeming decent coach.

In any event, this is all being taken out of context and my original response to this was about the personal attacks on the kids. you need to be a real piece of shit to rip apart kids doing course work while getting real work experience.

I hope some of you don't reproduce, would hate to have adults tell your kids how much they suck while they're trying to find their way.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

who said I accepted anything? I care about what we do on the floor. not some shitty online stream. but again, you go ahead and email the AD. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

In any event, this is all being taken out of context and my original response to this was about the personal attacks on the kids. you need to be a real piece of shit to rip apart kids doing course work while getting real work experience.

I hope some of you don't reproduce, would hate to have adults tell your kids how much they suck while they're trying to find their way.
Oh my God they're 20-22 year olds. They're not kids. No one is going into the Chaffee studio and calling these kids pieces of shit.

This is not a school project. It's a professional endeavor. The same professional event that this message board is referencing where everyone is on here ripping the players, Dan Yorke, the arena management, the concessions, coaches, broadcasters - all are professionals.

If you're on ESPN+, which is now the pre-eminent method for consuming D1 college hoops - which is essentially professional, you are opening yourself up to all of the criticism. These kids are on the same platform doing similar D1 games alongside 55 year old broadcast professionals. Stop putting qualifiers on there. As someone who went to this university and studied broadcast journalism, I can say with a ton of certainty that TV is not a friendly industry. It's ridiculously hard. So is the criticism. If you're not cut out for it it's better to find that out early, than waste 10 years of your life doing it.

As for reproducing, now that we're bringing actual kids into it, you can confidently go suck a dick. I'll make sure I don't raise pussies who need to be coddled in their 20's and "protected" by random internet strangers because they couldn't handle the truth of not being cut out for something.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Oh my God they're 20-22 year olds. They're not kids. No one is going into the Chaffee studio and calling these kids pieces of shit.

This is not a school project. It's a professional endeavor. The same professional event that this message board is referencing where everyone is on here ripping the players, Dan Yorke, the arena management, the concessions, coaches, broadcasters - all are professionals.

If you're on ESPN+, which is now the pre-eminent method for consuming D1 college hoops - which is essentially professional, you are opening yourself up to all of the criticism. These kids are on the same platform doing similar D1 games alongside 55 year old broadcast professionals. Stop putting qualifiers on there. As someone who went to this university and studied broadcast journalism, I can say with a ton of certainty that TV is not a friendly industry. It's ridiculously hard. So is the criticism. If you're not cut out for it it's better to find that out early, than waste 10 years of your life doing it.

As for reproducing, now that we're bringing actual kids into it, you can confidently go suck a dick. I'll make sure I don't raise pussies who need to be coddled in their 20's and "protected" by random internet strangers because they couldn't handle the truth of not being cut out for something.
nice.

so when do we fat shame the ramettes and cheerleaders?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

nice.

Oh my God how are these congruent arguments. My brother in Christ you are lost.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

nice.

thou shall not use the lords name in vain
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

nice.

thou shall not use the lords name in vain
Shalt*

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago I would be surprised if Varsity was paying us for games. I suspect that its more that they have the infrastructure and the app for URI to use, at little or no cost to the university. They offer the service for more than a thousand universities and organizations seemingly, so I highly doubt they're paying each one. Its a symbiotic relationship, since URI establishing its own app and server space and network logistics for streaming audio over the Internet is probably something they don't want to do.
Varsity is a Learfield platform. Not sure how that affects which way the money is going and how much, but that's part of our larger relationship with them
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I’m sorry. But SIX DOLLARS for a bottled water????

That’s more than Gillette.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

EZ Buckets did great job. Refeshing.
Ram logo via Grist 1938