A-10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s a crock we will be better than some teams on that list
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago
luke wrote: 8 months ago Other than Dayton , to me trying to predict the outcome for any of the A10 teams this season seems like an exercise in futility because the turnover
has been pretty much at the extreme level and basically none of the teams last season showed that much promise going forward . So , I plan to chill out and wait for the season to begin , which will be here before we know it . It doesn't satisfy me to be either negative or positive about the team until I've
at least seen some actual games even an exhibition . so at this point I know zero about this team and not much about most of the other A10 teams
either , so I don't need to make a fool of myself pretending that I do. In fact I think we should begin the prediction contest after the first two games ,
or even after the OOC schedule has been completed because I don't believe anybody has enough information to make a truly educated guess before
the season this time around .
Last season was the last for Obadiah's Annual Prediction contest so no worries as to when it should start.
I thought OB said that the contest would continue??
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last of the four teams in RI? If true, we're completely porked
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lmao
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The thing is, when it comes to pre-season prognosticators on certain networks, they are totally objective and would never pump up programs/conferences that have contracts with their respective network (insert sarcasm face here). “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” :lol:

Just as they don’t manipulate programs to change conferences to control favorable matchups to draw better ratings (insert sarcasm face).

Prognosticators and networks subscribe to total objectivity. But then, there’s money - and lots of it - at stake.

Ooph! I am awfully cynical today.

That said…f’em all. Go Rhody!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I like reading confident writing from guys who can't even name our starting line up.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Who runs that website, Wayne and Garth?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Much higher ranking for RI as they are projected #4 in the state. Unfortunately for URI, there are only four D1 programs in RI.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Of course we are all hoping for a win at PC, but at least let's make that game competitive.

Playing both Yale and Brown at the RC definitely helps, so we need to make a statement there.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I’m currently writing a full D1 mens basketball power rankings article. URI will finish last of all D1 teams in the country. Why? Because I (random guy on the internet) said so.

Please panic and riot accordingly
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago I’m currently writing a full D1 mens basketball power rankings article. URI will finish last of all D1 teams in the country. Why? Because I (random guy on the internet) said so.

But if we were not ranked last in the A10 in most every preseason poll I've witnessed we would be ok with the polls, especially if we were Top Tier as in Hurley years. No?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
Of course we are all hoping for a win at PC, but at least let's make that game competitive.

Playing both Yale and Brown at the RC definitely helps, so we need to make a statement there.
If playing/beating Yale and Brown at home is a "statement" then our program has fallen worse than we all thought.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago I’m currently writing a full D1 mens basketball power rankings article. URI will finish last of all D1 teams in the country. Why? Because I (random guy on the internet) said so.

But if we were not ranked last in the A10 in most every preseason poll I've witnessed we would be ok with the polls, especially if we were Top Tier as in Hurley years. No?
We would, and if we had hired Rick 4 years ago, that would be where we were, and would still be now. Heck, Rick might already be gone and we still would have ended up with Archie in the same timeframe, only without the suck years?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago

If playing/beating Yale and Brown at home is a "statement" then our program has fallen worse than we all thought.
Actually I said make a statement win at the RC, referring to a convincing victory. Looking at where we are coming from the last 3 years, I will take any win. Also Yale has a good program finishing 1st in the Ivy the last 3 of 4 years. James Jones has done an excellent job there. Brown should be decent this season and I wouldn’t be surprised if their preseason ratings are higher than ours.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am not as high on VCU as some are.
They do have some very talented players, but they lack depth and have a few question marks.
They only have 11 scholarship players on the roster.
Joe Bamisile needs a waiver to be eligible.
(F) Kuany from Cal.(P12) started 26 games last season averaged 9 pts had off-season surgery and not cleared for practice till October.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hadn't seen this posted before. The A-10 is moving it's headquarters from Newport News, VA to Washington DC. I never quite understood the Newport News location as it did not seem to make a lot of sense. It was tough to get to and had no member nearby. DC has two schools nearby and has easy travel options including air, rail, and car.

Atlantic 10 Conference To Move Headquarters to Washington, DC
https://www.costar.com/article/777234578/
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's going to be brutal around here if we finish 14th. :lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 8 months ago
The really sad part of this projection is that URI actually finished in this exact place last season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago
The really sad part of this projection is that URI actually finished in this exact place last season.
Hmmm...that sounds like a real kick in the nuts.

Time to call Duce Chestnut?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah would be devastating for sure , I’m optimistic will guess 8th
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At least Loyola is 12
GO RAMS
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

These predictors probably know even less than we do about The URI team for this season and we know virtually nothing . so I wouldn't stress over their prediction this time around . They basically just slotted us in where we finished last year . They probably bumped up Loyola a couple notches because they are more familiar with the Loyola additions than those of URI . I will be surprised if Loyola finishes ahead of URI in the standings . But that too
is based upon my last season's observations .
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We are so difficult to predict this season because to the outside world we have no returning impact players and many of our new additions have been under the radar.
Not surprising that almost all the insiders and analysts have us picked at or near the bottom of the A10.
For even those of us who follow the team closely, we really don't know what to expect.
At this point all you can really do is compare the rosters on paper (looking at previous stats) of the teams in our conference and make your best guesses.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago We are so difficult to predict this season because to the outside world we have no returning impact players and many of our new additions have been under the radar.
Not surprising that almost all the insiders and analysts have us picked at or near the bottom of the A10.
For even those of us who follow the team closely, we really don't know what to expect.
At this point all you can really do is compare the rosters on paper (looking at previous stats) of the teams in our conference and make your best guesses.
Top third in the conference....anything less = not good at all
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago We are so difficult to predict this season because to the outside world we have no returning impact players and many of our new additions have been under the radar.
So NYG if we finish out of the top 5, you will give Archie a failing grade or a D.

Hope you are right, but I have a hard time seeing it this season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So NYG if we finish out of the top 5, you will give Archie a failing grade or a D.

No, it would be a total program failure, not specific to the coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The HC is responsible for building the roster and ultimately the team’s record whether successful or not. They are the ones that are accountable. So you give the HC a pass, regardless. No excuses, there is a bigger investment now in our basketball program than ever before.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The HC is responsible for building the roster and ultimately the team’s record whether successful or not. They are the ones that are accountable. So you give the HC a pass, regardless. No excuses, there is a bigger investment now in our basketball program than ever before.
The coach does not get a pass. He definitely has a much harder job now because he has to overcome the 4 year "Race to the Bottom of the Pit of Suck" Project that preceded him ... but the HC never gets a pass.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The coach does not get a pass. He definitely has a much harder job now because he has to overcome the 4 year "Race to the Bottom of the Pit of Suck" Project that preceded him ... but the HC never gets a pass.
But in spite of that along with everything else, you still expect us to finish in the top 5. That is even after comparing our roster to the rest of the conference. So anything less than that should fall on the HC. My expectations are more modest for this season and I feel it will take Archie a little more time.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But in spite of that along with everything else, you still expect us to finish in the top 5. That is even after comparing our roster to the rest of the conference. So anything less than that should fall on the HC. My expectations are more modest for this season and I feel it will take Archie a little more time.
"you still expect us to finish in the top 5." Yes
"That is even after comparing our roster to the rest of the conference" Yes No. I have no idea who is on rosters for the rest of the conference
"So anything less than that should fall on the HC" That's your take, not mine...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"That is even after comparing our roster to the rest of the conference" Yes No. I have no idea who is on rosters for the rest of the conference
"So anything less than that should fall on the HC" That's your take, not mine...
So you don’t blame the HC if the team doesn’t meet your expectations?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You're just being silly now...if they suck again still, the coach will have played a part in that*. I don't anticipate that though.
You don't have to be that good to be top 5 in this conference. Low bar.

*until we're good again....whoever made the call at the time to hire Cox, is at the very top of the "why we still suck" list... We had momentum and it all went to shlit. It was like we just went on a multi-year run of being good...and someone called the ultimate Cox TO...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You're just being silly now...if they suck again still, the coach will have played a part in that*. I don't anticipate that though.

*until we're good again....whoever made the call at the time to hire Cox, is at the very top of the "why we still suck" list... We had momentum and it all went to shlit. It was like we just went on a multi-year run of being good...and someone called the ultimate Cox TO...
I think the conference is much tougher than you think. Because of where Archie started from is why I feel the rebuilding process will take a little more time. With that said, if the team performs below my expectations I most certainly will blame Archie and his staff.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think the conference is much tougher than you think. Because of where Archie started from is why I feel the rebuilding process will take a little more time. With that said, if the team performs below my expectations I most certainly will blame Archie and his staff.
I'll wait till December when the NET is released to answer how tough this conference is.

edit: The A10 had 3 teams out of 15 in the top 100 NET. Not one team in the top 50. 7 teams were in the 200's. Please don't say the A10 is tougher than you think. This is a cupcake league right now.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago

I'll wait till December when the NET is released to answer how tough this conference is.

edit: The A10 had 3 teams out of 15 in the top 100 NET. Not one team in the top 50. 7 teams were in the 200's. Please don't say the A10 is tougher than you think. This is a cupcake league right now.
Not.
Besides if it is such a cupcake league and we don't finish in the top 7, how would you rate Archie?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not.
Besides if it is such a cupcake league and we don't finish in the top 7, how would you rate Archie?
F
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not.
I would start with "not good" and then maybe go from there?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not.
F
Well at least you stand by your convictions and willing to call out the HC instead of making excuses, even though I don't agree.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not.
F
Well at least you stand by your convictions and willing to call out the HC instead of making excuses, even though I don't agree.
I was one of the first to call for hiring him. So it's not as if I didn't like the hire. Time to put up.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

F
I was one of the first to call for hiring him. So it's not as if I didn't like the hire. Time to put up.
Yep, I remember you were.
I was pleasantly surprised that Thorr was able to close the deal.

But I guess, I am more patient than you regarding this process.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not.
Aside from this, go Giants tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not.
Go Giants - haha
Speaking of cupcakes
40-0 at home - ouch
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Go Giants - haha
Speaking of cupcakes
40-0 at home - ouch
Yep, pretty bad. They suck.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's a one bid conference. Compared to the real Atlantic 10 we used to be part of this conference is as tough as a wet paper bag
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago

It's a one bid conference. Compared to the real Atlantic 10 we used to be part of this conference is as tough as a wet paper bag
Okay so if this conference sucks so bad, what does that say for us if we finish out of the top 5?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It says we've sucked. It says unlike you wanting to keep Cox, he should have been fired earlier than he was
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago It says we've sucked. It says unlike you wanting to keep Cox, he should have been fired earlier than he was
I agreed with Thorr in giving Cox a fair chance and also felt he deserved to be fired.
Sometimes things just don't work out and you move on.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

After reading all the team write-ups from Blue Ribbon, I think we will finish .500 in A10 play. 9-9 is my prediction. Obviously, that can change the more I watch this team, but based on our schedule, I think we have a shot to win 9-10 games. If that happens, I think we will finish right around 7th-8th this year. I would be very happy with that for this season.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 8 months ago After reading all the team write-ups from Blue Ribbon, I think we will finish .500 in A10 play. 9-9 is my prediction. Obviously, that can change the more I watch this team, but based on our schedule, I think we have a shot to win 9-10 games. If that happens, I think we will finish right around 7th-8th this year. I would be very happy with that for this season.
Agreed, that's right about where I think we'll end up as well. It would definitely be a step in the right direction. Then we need to be in that Top 4 mix the following year.