2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago Yale is going to be really good this year. Believe they will be picked to win the Ivy. Fairfield just signed the kid Alex Yetna who will tear up that league at 6’10. Brown always a decent team. Don’t know much else beyond that. But coupled with the 3 P6 teams and Charleston the schedule is well weighted for a team in development.

Are you guys forgetting what Fordham’s OOC schedule looked like last year and they turned into the darling of the league come conference play. Just win and everything else will get better (players, schedule, MTE’s).
A 25-win Fordham team didn’t get an invite to the NIT because of that very weak SOS.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Mixed feelings here.

I agree with those saying that we need to win games and good things will follow. For one thing, we've seen how quickly students lose interest in a losing program. A very good early OOC record could potentially keep them engaged beyond early November this year.

That said, I'm still beyond disappointed in this schedule as a season-ticket holder. I would have rather left a game on the table than play Johnson & Wales in a non-exhibition. The schedule makes it an easy call to skip games without a second thought. To attend games on weeknights I have to take time off and leave work a couple of hours early to make the drive to Kingston. There's no way I would do that for JWU, and I'll probably pass on three or four other weeknight OOC games as well.

I am happy with the neutral site games. I'll be at all three, but it's annoying that I'll have to buy them separately while I sit out games I've already paid for at the RC.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago
rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago Wow - if we have more than 3 losses we suck. If we have 3 losses we might still suck, just less than last year, maybe?

I like building confidence, but my god is this is puke level bad, especially that JWU game. For real? A game that does absolutely nothing for us.
Rhody will definitely have more than three losses in the OOC. Will be a decided underdog in both Mohegan Sun games (Northwestern and or Miss St / Wash St) and both true road games (PC and Charleston). Other games versus teams like Delaware, Northeastern, and Yale will be pick ums. Would not be surprised if they were to lose to another opponent at home. Last year should be a reminder not to pencil in sure wins.
95% agree with this...don't pencil anything in. I wouldn't say definitely more than 3 losses, however. I mean, after all, they could pleasantly surprise me. But URI is not at the point where you just roll the balls out and assume that they're going to win against a "lesser name" opponent. See Florida Atlantic. A number of players on URI's roster were playing for a "lesser name" opponent a year ago. As they say when the other team plays well, those other guys are on scholarship too. (or in the case of Brown and Yale, on generous financial aid packages)

That's why they play the game.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

reef wrote: 9 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 9 months ago It’s a schedule that will support this programs growth. Very winnable games with a touch of competition that will get us noticed. Win and they will come.
This is how I feel also , I’m still on the Archie train
I don't think Archie is concerned about his team's RPI or any postseason metric this year. I believe he's trying to build a team, program, culture, a way he wants to play. In no way, shape or form are they ready for a sexy non-conference schedule. Agree that Archie knows what he's doing. Walk before you run.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NM
Last edited by Jersey77 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago Still shaking my head a little at our schedule.
I know we want to build up confidence in our team but Assumption and J&W, wow.
Having both Div.2 and Div.3 teams, not even good ones, on our regular season schedule is a bit surprising,
Hard to imagine that it has gotten to this point in trying to fill out our OOC schedule.
They better offer some really special promotions for those games.
I do not understand why anyone is upset with playing an EXHIBITION game versus Assumption. Exhibition games open to the public are typically not D1 opponents.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago NM
I do not understand why anyone is upset with playing an EXHIBITION game versus Assumption. Exhibition games open to the public are typically not D1 opponents.
My bad RF1, brain fart.
Should delete my post
Forgot it was an exhibition game
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is precious. This has been a historically absurd offseason even by this board’s standards.

It’s like everyone that pretended Dave Cox was great and secretly hid that they knew he was terrible for 3 years has crawled out of their caves to now go the other way and pretend things are way worse than they are.

I enjoy the comparisons to 2009, when URI had 3 years of being a bubble team/top 100 team to ensure that teams didn’t mind taking the risk to play us.

Newsflash. Thanks to Dave Cox we are actually coming off the lowest point in this program’s history since Jerry D. I’d argue Cox was worse than the end of Baron.

You can’t get anyone to agree to a home and home before you’re an established good team. No one’s coming to play you. So sit tight, enjoy some Ryan Center W’s, and maybe go to an away game or two.

I got news: the OOC is nowhere near as bad as what people want to say it is. We’ve got 2 definite, potentially 4 Q1 games in our preseason. What the hell are your expectations?

If you win 2/3 of those games and clean up the home games you’re poised to be a bubble team.

This is legit a tougher OOC than Loyola would play en route to an NCAA bid and everyone swoons over them as a great program. Why was it ok for them but not us?

We’re mad at the OOC home games now? Sheesh. Go to PC games then if all you care about is seeing a big name play your team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think the main problem with the schedule is the JWU game. Replace that with BC or even freakin Bryant. Hell, Stonybrook, Manhattan, Buffalo any team from the MAC or CAA. I get we aren’t getting a Marquee home game this season, but how about a D1 team with a pulse.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 9 months ago I think the main problem with the schedule is the JWU game. Replace that with BC or even freakin Bryant. Hell, Stonybrook, Manhattan, Buffalo any team from the MAC or CAA. I get we aren’t getting a Marquee home game this season, but how about a D1 team with a pulse.
Like do you think that wasn’t a plan? Are you seriously considering that we just wanted JWU? Or is it more likely that dates didn’t work for other schools like the ones you mentioned.

If we didn’t have JWU people would be bitching that we didn’t have enough home games.

Just win. Worrying about the rest is for non-rebuild years.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly I wouldn't be pissed if the Johnson & Wales game was a preseason exhibition. Having it as a regular season game is an embarrassment
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Honestly I wouldn't be pissed if the Johnson & Wales game was a preseason exhibition. Having it as a regular season game is an embarrassment
Then people would complain about having 2 exhibition games.

I won’t say I’m excited about the game - but it doesn’t count against your NET so who cares?

People are looking for an open practice - this is better. Still a team that needs time on the court together. I’ll take this over nothing.

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

A few thoughts based on reading this thread:
  • The 2009 v. 2023 schedule comparison is apples and oranges to me. Coaches should build a schedule based on where there team is at. The 2009 team was ready to compete for an at-large, so the coach must put together a schedule with resume building being first and foremost. This 2023 team is just looking to establish a foundation, build momentum and sell an upward trajectory to recruits.
  • If we pull a Fordham and win 20+ games but get left out in the cold for an NIT bid I will 100% sign up for that this season. It will mean Archie will have more than doubled the win total from last year and established a core and culture for future years.
  • I get season ticket holders being upset with the light home slate, that said, just go to Mohegan for the two HOF Tip Off games if you want to see URI against a couple high majors this year. I doubt tix will be prohibitively expensive.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Win at home (17 home games - 8 OOC and 9 conference), 50/50 on the road (14 away from the RC). Steal a couple of Q1/Q2 games and avoid bad losses. I'll take that right now. That very well could be 20+ wins. Avoid Q4 losses and you never know.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 9 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Honestly I wouldn't be pissed if the Johnson & Wales game was a preseason exhibition. Having it as a regular season game is an embarrassment

I won’t say I’m excited about the game - but it doesn’t count against your NET so who cares?

People are looking for an open practice - this is better. Still a team that needs time on the court together. I’ll take this over nothing.
Nothing positive can come from the JWU game.

Worst case? Significant injuries in an absolute meaningless game.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man, I just think that the late addition and final spot going to J&W was a major disappointment especially to the season ticket holders. Also coming in late November after having several games under our belt. With all the positives we are hearing from summer practices and an anticipated much improved roster many fans were hoping for a better opponent.
Last edited by Jersey77 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 9 months ago Win at home (17 home games - 8 OOC and 9 conference), 50/50 on the road (14 away from the RC). Steal a couple of Q1/Q2 games and avoid bad losses. I'll take that right now. That very well could be 20+ wins. Avoid Q4 losses and you never know.
We went over a full calendar year without winning a road game. Now yes that’s party with Cox’s team , but Saying 50/50 on the road is a reach I’d say.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

STC wrote: 9 months ago
  • If we pull a Fordham and win 20+ games but get left out in the cold for an NIT bid I will 100% sign up for that this season. It will mean Archie will have more than doubled the win total from last year and established a core and culture for future years.
I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to this theory at all. Most players, recruits, and fans are just smarter than that. Busting up a schedule of tomato cans and having an empty 20+ wins will not move the needle
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to this theory at all. Most players, recruits, and fans are just smarter than that. Busting up a schedule of tomato cans and having an empty 20+ wins will not move the needle
If we won 20+ games and didn’t get invited to postseason play we’d be coming back to this board wishing we scheduled tougher opponents.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Well considering last year's tomato cans moved URI's needle the wrong way, I would hope beating enough of those tomato cans this year would move the needle back in the right direction. I would think players, recruits, and fans are smart enough to see that...meaning that URI is not at the top of the mountain but working their way up there.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would be all OK with 20+ wins and no post season with this rebuilding out of the hole we found ourselves in……(after all, Archie stated at an earlier event that this team would be the one that turned the corner…….)
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah finishing 25-8 wouldn't move the needle 😂
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
Not happening, but would be unbelievable if we even get 20 wins. Thinking more like 8-5 or hopefully 9-4 OOC. An even conference split would be good, but again thinking more like 7-11 or 8-10.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

Not happening, but would be unbelievable if we even get 20 wins. Thinking more like 8-5 or hopefully 9-4 OOC. An even conference record would be good, but thinking more like 7-11 or 8-10.
Unbelievable? Lol what?

Yeah Rhode Island winning 20 games with an incredibly weak OOC, in a weak A-10, with one of the best coaches in the conference, would be the most miraculous turnaround in sports history...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's where I am at too Jersey. .500 or better is a successful season IMO given where we are coming from last year. How we get there is as important to me, we need 3-4 guys to emerge as bona fide A10 level starters that will return the next season. Couple that with some better recruits and a better sell in the portal and we will be set up for a post season run the following year.

Anyone predicting 20+ wins is either setting themselves up for disappointment or setting themselves up to tee off on Archie.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Considering where the program has been, I would be all OK with .500 season.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not happening, but would be unbelievable if we even get 20 wins. Thinking more like 8-5 or hopefully 9-4 OOC. An even conference record would be good, but thinking more like 7-11 or 8-10.
Unbelievable? Lol what?

Yeah Rhode Island winning 20 games with an incredibly weak OOC, in a weak A-10, with one of the best coaches in the conference, would be the most miraculous turnaround in sports history...
We aren’t saying that’s our long range goal or expectation, but considering where we are now coming from it is a step in the right direction.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Think big

(We don’t)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

What would happen if we lost to JWU
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 9 months ago Think big

(We don’t)
Has zero to do with thinking big and everything to do with being realistic about where we were. Last years roster was amongst the least talented in my 35+ years of following the program. You don’t just go from that to competing at top of any league. A10 may be down nationally but by no means is a cupcake.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t think the schedule is appreciably worse this year than last year, so a marked improvement to the record would still be worth something and would still indicate positive movement. I’d hope fans, players and recruits are smart enough to follow the trajectory. When we are ready for a tournament bid, I’m sure the schedule will reflect that but right now I’m fine with trying to fatten up weak programs while we stabilize ours.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago That's where I am at too Jersey. .500 or better is a successful season IMO given where we are coming from last year. How we get there is as important to me, we need 3-4 guys to emerge as bona fide A10 level starters that will return the next season. Couple that with some better recruits and a better sell in the portal and we will be set up for a post season run the following year.

Anyone predicting 20+ wins is either setting themselves up for disappointment or setting themselves up to tee off on Archie.
Well who is predicting or expecting 20 wins?

I'm just saying it's practically just as possible as finishing .500

Why exactly does it make more sense to say we will be around .500 with absolutely no earthly idea how good or bad we will be?

It's literally more illogical to feel more confident about .500 than it is to acknowledge that 20+ wins is possible seeing as our schedule is weak and we have no idea how the team will gel. Why have any confidence either way with zero information about how well the team plays?

I mean if we were healthier last year and had a couple more balls bounce our way we win around 15 games.

Remember when we practically dominated Dayton and should have beaten VCU with our dogshit roster?

It would be one thing if we were in a P5 conference with this roster, but we are in a wide open A-10 which has currently been in maybe its weakest state in its history with a very weak OOC

Anywhere from 10 to 20+ wins injuries or no injuries is all feels just as realistic to me

We could have crazy injuries, we could miss every wide open shot again and be unable to defend the post etc. 10 ish wins

We could be incredibly inconsistent and finish around .500

We could gel fast, be a great free throw shooting team again, hit the majority of our open threes, start shutting people down with our pack line and find ourselves with 20 or so wins.

There are a million variables

And big turnarounds happen literally all the time in college sports

Or maybe some of you have like never paid attention to the thousands of one year turnarounds that have happened in the history of sports?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago

(We don’t)
Has zero to do with thinking big and everything to do with being realistic about where we were. Last years roster was amongst the least talented in my 35+ years of following the program. You don’t just go from that to competing at top of any league. A10 may be down nationally but by no means is a cupcake.
Lol sure you can

Duquesne and Fordham, the two historical shitstains of the conference literally just went from straight garbage to competing at the top of our league in ONE year
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

(We don’t)
People have battered Rhody syndrome

They can't be reached

Only pessimistic expectations are permitted
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not being pessimistic just trying to be realistic. Of course anything is possible and would love for them to over achieve my prediction or expectations for this season. Just expressing my opinion based on the rosters of our competition. The A10 is still a top 10 conference regardless of how many here still feel it is garbage.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

(We don’t)

They can't be reached

Anyone can have whatever expectations they want. That’s a personal choice, I don’t care what your expectations are. That’s up to you. My expectations are maybe a little lower than some, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they exceed my expectations. My preference is to set my “expectation” at the floor of what I’d find acceptable and then allow myself to be pleasantly surprised at anything beyond that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 9 months ago What would happen if we lost to JWU
The end of the world as we know it.

Now I have the REM song playing in my head. Ooph
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

(We don’t)

They can't be reached

BRS…I’ll have to use that one with my wife and daughters as an excuse for the next time I get cranky. :lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we can't win 20 games with that schedule, how many games will we win in '24-'25 with basically the same team and adding two freshman and hopefully a more challenging schedule? Less than 20 again? So, now we're onto year 4 with no post season play...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago If we can't win 20 games with that schedule, how many games will we win in '24-'25 with basically the same team and adding two freshman and hopefully a more challenging schedule? Less than 20 again? So, now we're onto year 4 with no post season play...
My hope is that at end of season we can say we are 1-2 pieces away from being a top 4 A10 team again. And whether that’s via recruit or transfer we land those pieces leading into next season. That means 3-4 guys need to emerge as front line A10 starters through this season. We entered this year saying we are 8-9 pieces away fwiw. This roster needs to fill some of those holes.

Duquesne did do the overnight makeover. I’d say with Fordham it wasn’t overnight via overhaul. They returned Quisenberry and Moore who were 2 legit A10 players. As well as their big man. We return nothing even close to that for this season from last year. We have hope with Weston but it’s only hope. And everyone else is new.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 9 months ago If we can't win 20 games with that schedule, how many games will we win in '24-'25 with basically the same team and adding two freshman and hopefully a more challenging schedule? Less than 20 again? So, now we're onto year 4 with no post season play...
My hope is that at end of season we can say we are 1-2 pieces away from being a top 4 A10 team again. And whether that’s via recruit or transfer we land those pieces leading into next season. That means 3-4 guys need to emerge as front line A10 starters through this season. We entered this year saying we are 8-9 pieces away fwiw. This roster needs to fill some of those holes.

Duquesne did do the overnight makeover. I’d say with Fordham it wasn’t overnight via overhaul. They returned Quisenberry and Moore who were 2 legit A10 players. As well as their big man. We return nothing even close to that for this season from last year. We have hope with Weston but it’s only hope. And everyone else is new.
Yet, all the new players have played really well at their previous stops.

Fordham just happened to have one of the best players in the league with Quisenberry and some nice balance around him and they shot the ball well.

We can get to 20+ wins if Kortright and Always are at least average A-10 PG's. Eliminate the erratic and inept play of Bassy and bring a consistency that Bray couldn't provide.

Zek and House have to be all conference level, Fuchs needs to be the guy Archie says he'll be and the rest of them can follow suit by being able to guard down low, rebounds and make a freaking lay up.

I dont think that's too tall a task or hopefully we should be accomplishing some of that by the end of the year. Kinda like how Cox's first year ended on a nice run at the end. Remember that team won 18 games, so it's not that impossible for us to do something similar or hopefully better in the win column. No Dowtin or Langevine, but we aren't relying on a streaky Fatts and a bunch of freshman.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fordham just happened to have one of the best players in the league with Quisenberry and some nice balance around him and they shot the ball well.

We can get to 20+ wins if Kortright and Always are at least average A-10 PG's. Eliminate the erratic and inept play of Bassy and bring a consistency that Bray couldn't provide.

Zek and House have to be all conference level, Fuchs needs to be the guy Archie says he'll be and the rest of them can follow suit by being able to guard down low, rebounds and make a freaking lay up.

I dont think that's too tall a task or hopefully we should be accomplishing some of that by the end of the year. Kinda like how Cox's first year ended on a nice run at the end. Remember that team won 18 games, so it's not that impossible for us to do something similar or hopefully better in the win column. No Dowtin or Langevine, but we aren't relying on a streaky Fatts and a bunch of freshman.
Hey PRT, how many A10 teams are predicted to be in the top 144?
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

I have expectations for our program, given the resources we have, to be at the top half of the Atlantic 10 every year. VCU fans wouldn’t be pleased with a .500 record and they’ve had their fair share of turnover.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree with that PRT. I think with Always and Fuchs tho it’s gonna require patience. They are still first year players albeit not true FR in the sense of the word. But they both excite me with their potential. Ways is a bit frail so physically could be an adjustment but he’s got skills. I would love it to replicate that first Cox season where we are surging at the end and make a mini run in tourney. That would bode well.

I also agree with you that who really knows. To me it’s moreso about how we get to the end result. Need to see player development and max out our talent level.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago

(We don’t)

They can't be reached

BRS…I’ll have to use that one with my wife and daughters as an excuse for the next time I get cranky. :lol:
Wow, I am glad someone finally diagnosed the condition that I have apparently been afflicted with for a while now. Question, call we now call it BRS?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago

Nothing positive can come from the JWU game.

Worst case? Significant injuries in an absolute meaningless game.
Outrageous dunks and stuck 3's in a "game" game are always more fun than in a practice...so there's that...? Let's have some of those?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 9 months ago
If we won 20+ games and didn’t get invited to postseason play we’d be coming back to this board wishing we scheduled tougher opponents.
lol, like people are doing now?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not happening, but would be unbelievable if we even get 20 wins. Thinking more like 8-5 or hopefully 9-4 OOC. An even conference split would be good, but again thinking more like 7-11 or 8-10.
Huh? it should be 'unbelievable' if there are not 20 wins...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 9 months ago Considering where the program has been, I would be all OK with .500 season.
#sad
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

When was the last time an A10 school went from single digit wins to 20+ wins the following season?

Even our lord and savior Dan Hurley went from 8 to 14 to 23.