Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Construction on the Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex Underway

KINGSTON, R.I. -- The University of Rhode Island has begun construction on a critical project, formerly designated the Student-Athlete Development Center (SADC). The permanent name of the facility is now the Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex, in honor of the lead donors Tom and Cathy Ryan. The Ryan’s, along with close to 200 donors, contributed over $2.5 million dollars for the facility.

“Cathy and I are very proud of our relationship with the University of Rhode Island and URI Athletics and we are delighted to support this most recent project,” said Tom Ryan. “The Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex is going to benefit all URI student-athletes for years to come. It will improve and enhance all aspects of the student-athletes’ experience at Rhode Island. The project will also play an instrumental role in recruiting the highest quality student-athletes at URI.

The Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex will provide dramatic improvements for the strength & conditioning, academic advising, and sports medicine areas of the Rhode Island Athletics Department.

Read the full release at GoRhody.com

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex

Quote from Gilvydas in this release:

"If you are a student-athlete, then you are committed to excelling in every way possible. And to excel in competition, you have to commit to putting in the time and working hard in the weight room," said Gilvydas Biruta - a junior member of the men's basketball team. "With the Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex close to completion, we will soon have a weight room facility that will help all of us reach our peak level. During my recruitment to Rhode Island, the coaching staff talked about the impact the Ryan Family Student-Athlete Complex would have on our program. This is a place that will have a huge impact on all of us at URI."
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

That sounds great, nothing but good news on this board over the last couple of months.

Maybe there is a simple explanation to this - but why don't we have an outdoor track?
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Love this. Where would this program be without the Ryan family?
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RhodyNJ wrote:That sounds great, nothing but good news on this board over the last couple of months.

Maybe there is a simple explanation to this - but why don't we have an outdoor track?
URI actually does have an outdoor track. It's behind the Football Practice Fields. Now, from what I recall 8 years ago it wasn't a very good one, but it's there.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Dude wrote:
RhodyNJ wrote:That sounds great, nothing but good news on this board over the last couple of months.

URI actually does have an outdoor track. It's behind the Football Practice Fields. Now, from what I recall 8 years ago it wasn't a very good one, but it's there.
Its in the same condition as it was. Very hidden from the rest of campus and for good reason. I will say the tennis courts and new pavilion look great
GO RAMS
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

The track was condemned about ten years ago. It is amazing what Coach Copeland does with no track and very few scholarships.(1/5 of what some other A10 schools have).Every year they are probably URI's most successful athletic program with multiple A10 and New England Championships. Check if you doubt me.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Oh I know...all too well. My homeboy owns the shot put record at URI. I recall him mentioning something about that. One would think they would fix that outdoor track at some point.
Side note: He's a big dude, but surprisingly quick and shoots the basketball better than one would expect.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

A new track facility is about $1M-$2M.
I think they gave them some more schollies (back),when FB dropped down to NEC briefly?
I do not think the track alums give much $$ back,only $21K.
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

The track alums may not be supporting athletics because of the lack of effort on the part of the SID. They win the A10 this year and no mention in the Projo. I believe that at least something would have got in if URI submitted it. The GoRhody article about the RI kids leading them to the championship would have been great in the local papers. Even a mention on the box score page is something. The Projo sucks but is it their fault or the Sports Information Dept. fault.
As far as donating to athletics - Do the track alum feel you give what you get instead of you get what you give. You go to school, you compete the school, you work hard ,you win, and the the Athletic dept. ignores your efforts. And the football team continues??
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tour by Thorr

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:Tour by Thorr

That is great. Can't wait to check it out when it is done.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like it's going to be a great facility, and another great recruiting tool.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

HUGE for landing those players who may normally have only been considering BCS level schools.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhody Rob-sure,but the FB boosters keep donating.
The track and field alums need to be donating a lot more than $20K.
I bet most of them give nothing.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

While the track team does have a top notch indoor facility, Their outdoor track is condemned. Yet they still win year after year while always being second fiddle. When I was there I remember being kicked out of the training room because football players needed the room. I laugh every time football supporters say we can't compete with our facilities. Yet they have over sixty scholarships. The track team can't go on the outdoor track and has under ten scholarships for two seasons. I find it hard to donate money to the athletic department when the school administration when I was there gave two craps about the track team. If I had a vote, drop football, support your other successful teams such as track and baseball, and start hockey. I for one would donate to that future of rhody athletics. And I don't think I would be alone.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Kingston-never mind the other sports,why aren't you and others donating specifically to the track and field team?
https://secure3.convio.net/uri/site/Don ... tion=form1

Above is the link for your convenience.
The alums from each sport need to support the kids playing on their respective teams.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

TruePoint wrote:

Who is that in your avatar photo TP? I recognize the actor, but I can't remember his name. It's bugging me.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

daytonflyerfan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Who is that in your avatar photo TP? I recognize the actor, but I can't remember his name. It's bugging me.
Harvey Keitel. That particular picture is Winston Wolf, the "fixer" from Pulp Fiction.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

As a former student athlete I can't emphasize how important this will be. The support facilities have needed upgrades for a long time, I'm happy these kids will get a real weight room, study hall, and improved training facilities. Great work Thorr & co.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

TruePoint wrote:
daytonflyerfan wrote:
TruePoint wrote: That is great. Can't wait to check it out when it is done.
Harvey Keitel. That particular picture is Winston Wolf, the "fixer" from Pulp Fiction.
I never thanked you for the reply TP. Thanks.