MASSIVE NEWS, MEADE RENOVATION COMING

All things Rhody Rams football.
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Re: MASSIVE NEWS, MEADE RENOVATION COMING

Unread post by Bartoburger »

I read this renovation could start as soon as November? I think 16k would be the ideal capacity when the entire Meade renovation is complete.

It amazes me how little URI invests in their athletic facilities. URI must be near the bottom percentage wise when it comes to yearly money per capita compared to the other 49 states flag ship univerities invest on facilities.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The $42 million assuming is for the conceptual new stadium? Vs the code complaint bandaid that was recently mentioned?
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That would be one expensive band aid.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago I read this renovation could start as soon as November? I think 16k would be the ideal capacity when the entire Meade renovation is complete.

It amazes me how little URI invests in their athletic facilities. URI must be near the bottom percentage wise when it comes to yearly money per capita compared to the other 49 states flag ship univerities invest on facilities.
November makes sense. In theory if it gets through the legislation process you could start spending the appropriated money July 1st. Figure finalize the design between July 1 and have the concept out for Homecoming weekend. You could start knocking down the East stands as soon as the season ends.

The interesting thing is what do you do for a stadium for the 2024 season if this all goes through and the time line is close to what I laid out? West stands only hold just over 2000. Would we be playing at an alternate location for a year?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago The $42 million assuming is for the conceptual new stadium? Vs the code complaint bandaid that was recently mentioned?
Correct. The stairwells they're doing now are separate and just so we can get up to full capacity for at least this season. The $42 million is for a complete redo/renovation of the East side plus perhaps some other Meade related things
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody on twitter mentioned a Jumbotron. I don't remember who. Maybe Bob Kraft gave us his old one.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Somebody on twitter mentioned a Jumbotron. I don't remember who. Maybe Bob Kraft gave us his old one.
Not to derail this thread but I totally prefer the before look. Not a fan of the new massive screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That’s a disgrace. I’m already distracted by the current screens when I go to games at Gillette. The product on the field will be more difficult to enjoy now.
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe Bobby Kraft's eye sight isn't what it once was?
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

STC wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Somebody on twitter mentioned a Jumbotron. I don't remember who. Maybe Bob Kraft gave us his old one.
Not to derail this thread but I totally prefer the before look. Not a fan of the new massive screen.
Totally agree with you. That is quite the eyesore. It is huge, way too big for the space. This is all about being able to boast that Gillette Stadium now has the biggest jumbotron in the US, at least that is what I think I read. It may be cool in person when it is on, and maybe it does add to the fan experience, but aesthetically it subtracts from the stadium. That was one of the best places to stand and watch the game as well, I wonder if this massive thing hanging over your head will negatively impact that as well.
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

This pissing contest for who has the biggest scoreboard in pro sports is quite comical. That would be awesome if URI was given the old scoreboard. I wish the Krafts would have added seats to Gillette instead they reduced capacity and put up an obnoxious scoreboard.
Regarding Meade stadium, URI get the East stands renovated so maybe some day you can host a team that wont laugh at how little you care about football.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Funny how the Kraft’s seem to cheap out on talent but have no problem setting their money on fire for stuff like this.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Funny how the Kraft’s seem to cheap out on talent but have no problem setting their money on fire for stuff like this.
x2
:lol:
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

I hope they put some seats in one of the end zones.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Honestly I'm surprised the hate the scoreboard at Gillette is getting. It wasn't practical to put seats there and that being so open was a huge issue when trying to get the stadium to maximum volume
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Honestly I'm surprised the hate the scoreboard at Gillette is getting. It wasn't practical to put seats there and that being so open was a huge issue when trying to get the stadium to maximum volume
It's ugly.
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

When is URI announcing more details regarding the renovation of Meade Stadium? The rendering from 20-something years ago looks great. But I get it, it all has to do with money and URI does not have the private donors like UCONN and UMASS have.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I doubt anything will come out before the state budget passes in late June. Assuming the stadium is in the budget that passes you will probably get a press release announcing a renovation is taking place shortly after the budget is signed. They'll still probably have to have final plans drawn up before you see anything.

TL:DR No earlier than late June, maybe nothing substantial until October.

Or basically the same answer as two days ago
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -nletter01

Nothing directly stadium related in the article, but it says the General Assembly has June 16th as a target date to complete all of their business, so expect the budget right around that time if they stay on time
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago heard this at the Elon game also.
Anyone got a direct link to official release?
https://omb.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur ... Budget.pdf

Page 75 of the PDF, page 65 of the document. $18.75 million in funding in fiscal year 24, the same in fiscal year 25, and $16.6 million in fiscal year 26
The House budget is out:

http://webserver.rilegislature.gov/Bill ... /H5200.pdf

If I'm reading this right, page 25 is allocating $15 million in the soon to start fiscal year for an athletics complex and page 41 allocates that same $15 million plus $13.3 in FY 2025 for the athletics complex, for a total of $28.3 million. Honestly I'm kind of lost on what's going on at this point. It almost looks like we're getting the baseball, softball, pool, and soccer upgrades and Meade/track are put on the back burner
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

When will the state of Rhode Island get behind their flagship football program? This is some sad news. URI has the worst football facilities in the CAA and no one seems to care at the state house in Providence.
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

It's a tough situation. Can only speaking about UMass. We had some big hitters that would not donate while FCS, but once commiting to FBS stepped up. We now have a new performance center with the Hunt's Hospitality Suite and patio overlooking the north end zone, press and skybox, Indoor Practice facilities, nice scoreboard. Roughly 1/3 was paid by donations and in the same range as the 42M Meade Stadium replacement. We did have to use Gillette initially. Wish you guys the best and would like to see you join the FBS ranks. Especially with a good coaching staff and team in place.
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Good points Steve. When the current Conference realignment shakes out, the northeast schools maybe left in thw dark except UConn. Now that 12 teams make the playoffs I hope more small schools like URI go D1 FBS. However Meade will need signifigant upgrades and a capacity to atleast around McGuirk (16k or more) if hosting a playoff game is a goal. URI as a school/campus reminds me of UConn 30-35 years ago. Rural school near nothing- in New England terms. :)
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

at golf tourney,Pres. Palange said they thought they would be getting $$ needed from the state.
Hoping for new video scoreboard before this season?
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

Bartoburger wrote: 11 months ago Good points Steve. When the current Conference realignment shakes out, the northeast schools maybe left in thw dark except UConn. Now that 12 teams make the playoffs I hope more small schools like URI go D1 FBS. However Meade will need signifigant upgrades and a capacity to atleast around McGuirk (16k or more) if hosting a playoff game is a goal. URI as a school/campus reminds me of UConn 30-35 years ago. Rural school near nothing- in New England terms. :)
Delaware is making moves to go FBS as you say more schools going FBS. My wish is not just for URI as think it would take someone like ourselves to go all sports in the MAC. Not going to duplicate the post created in the FBS discussion thread. Will post from a MAC poster posted on our Fight Massachusetts board. Gillette is close and assume you could use as a bridge, we used it.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 11 months ago at golf tourney,Pres. Palange said they thought they would be getting $$ needed from the state.
Hoping for new video scoreboard before this season?
Yes, my friend heard at the spring game that we'd be getting a video scoreboard before this season
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Is it confirmed if the scoreboard will be the old Gillette Stadium Scoreboard or a new one? Put some end zone bleachers in there while installing the scoreboard! The arms race in college football continues....
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Honestly I'm surprised the hate the scoreboard at Gillette is getting. It wasn't practical to put seats there and that being so open was a huge issue when trying to get the stadium to maximum volume
Steve81
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Steve81 »

The Meade Stadium project would be viewed thru a different lenses if you were to go FBS. Figured it will take a year to determine that it's something you'd want to pursue.

Been posting a lot on the Delaware FBS thread and want you guys to go FBS. Here is the last current page 23.
Delaware looking at FBS, page 23 link