Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Poll ended at 1 year ago

1 Absolutely YES! It would be Awesome.
8%
2 Yes
10%
3 Could go either way. Undecided.
20%
4 No
44%
5 Absolutely NOT! Makes no sense.
18%

Total votes: 71

brady1
Art Stephenson

Re: Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Unread post by brady1 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Carey got to play his 4th and final year here. Harris did not. You had a little something to do with that. You were relentless.

Yes, the 47.5 people who currently voted "No" in this poll were chirping during games when Carey did something foolish or careless. There are strength in numbers. But, they waited until game day to do it. Carey always seemed to think, in his mind, that he was a "10" when in reality he was more like a "6". He seemed oblivious that he was actually doing anything wrong out there, so there was never anything to correct, or improve. So, he continues to do what he has always done, since the day he showed up here from Syracuse.

BUT, 47.5 people waited, until his senior year was over here, to participate in this poll, and state they would rather not see him return. Contrast THAT, to what you did.

I'm not actually upset about it, I'm just pointing out that you're being a little hypocritical here.

Now, if you said Bassy got a treatment similar to the one you gave Harris, then yeah, at least the result was the same. But Carey? No. People were reserved, in comparison. I commend them for that.
Jcru please stop your obsession with Carey it’s bizarre and annoying. Let the staff decide if he fits in next year. Personally I feel Carey is our best guard right now but unlike you I don’t have the time to post that 24/7. As far as the board opinion we’re all Nitwits on a silly internet bulletin board to think a poll means anything on here is silly. Remember this board anointed David Cox. Nuff said.

GO RHODY!
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Unread post by jcru »

Some of you out there cannot tolerate to read the slightest bit of criticism about your favorite players. And that's why they last their entire careers here, with zero improvement year to year.

This was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of criticism. I could go on, but I'll take your advice instead.

"GO RHODY!"
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

brady1 wrote: 1 year ago As far as the board opinion we’re all Nitwits on a silly internet bulletin board to think a poll means anything on here is silly.
Clearly, you were a "1" in this poll. I don't think you like the fact that you are getting decked in this poll, so according to you, "it's silly".

If the result of this poll were the complete opposite of what occurred here, someone like you would be pointing at it as absolute, iron clad proof that you were correct.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I went with 4, just because I don't see how returning to URI makes much sense for Carey or for this coming year's roster. I think on a good team, Carey can be an energy guy off the bench, or like the poor man's Stan Robinson. Basically, defend wings, finishing on the break and not hopeless on offense, so the opposing team has to guard you at least.

I think between Montgomery, Dubsky, House, Weston and maybe one or two TBDs, we have enough options in the 2/3 mix that Carey doesn't need to be there as well. So, I think it would largely be up to Carey as to what he wants to do. I'm positive he could play pro ball somewhere - like Nicola Akele is still getting checks. Or, maybe he signs up for one more college year, whether its "big fish in small pond" where he'll play a ton, or being a role player on a better team.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I went with 4, just because I don't see how returning to URI makes much sense for Carey or for this coming year's roster. I think on a good team, Carey can be an energy guy off the bench, or like the poor man's Stan Robinson. Basically, defend wings, finishing on the break and not hopeless on offense, so the opposing team has to guard you at least.

I think between Montgomery, Dubsky, House, Weston and maybe one or two TBDs, we have enough options in the 2/3 mix that Carey doesn't need to be there as well. So, I think it would largely be up to Carey as to what he wants to do. I'm positive he could play pro ball somewhere - like Nicola Akele is still getting checks. Or, maybe he signs up for one more college year, whether its "big fish in small pond" where he'll play a ton, or being a role player on a better team.
I just got PTSD for reading the name Nikola Akele.

What a stiff he was.

He was my Jermaine Harris, before Jermaine Harris!
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I went with 4, just because I don't see how returning to URI makes much sense for Carey or for this coming year's roster. I think on a good team, Carey can be an energy guy off the bench, or like the poor man's Stan Robinson. Basically, defend wings, finishing on the break and not hopeless on offense, so the opposing team has to guard you at least.

I just got PTSD for reading the name Nikola Akele.

What a stiff he was.

He was my Jermaine Harris, before Jermaine Harris!

Speaking of Jermaine Harris, he disappeared off the face of the earth
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Some of you out there cannot tolerate to read the slightest bit of criticism about your favorite players. And that's why they last their entire careers here, with zero improvement year to year.

This was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of criticism. I could go on, but I'll take your advice instead.

"GO RHODY!"
Wait.... guys don't get better because posters can't handle criticism of the players on an online message board? Did I read that right??
I'm quite sure your thoughts on a player have absolutely no bearing on them improving. I am also sure that the player has zero concern about what you or any other poster on the site feels is a weakness in their game.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No that's not what I meant to say.

What I meant to say is Carey was taken from Syracuse as a former 4 star player, with significant flaws. We've seen them all. But to Carey, there are no flaws. There is no effort to improve anything, and according to some on this site, you're not allowed to point any of the flaws out. We're just supposed to sit back and ignore them.

So, he was here for 3 years, and everyone acted like everything was hunky dory, except for the people, by and large represented in this poll, who chirped about it on game day in real time.

And "the player has zero concern about what I or any other poster feels is a weakness in their game?" Fair enough. But they are still there, glaringly obvious for all to see. And BECAUSE they have zero concern, those concerns are ignored. He is oblivious to them. Which means, you just proved my point for me. Thanks.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And the poll still stands at 27% yes, to 73% no. I think it's really arrogant to dismiss everyone on this site, who disagrees with you.

There are roughly 17.5 of you on here vs. 47.5. So, 30 more people. Just because your group contains more of the more vocal, active posters who like to "high five" each other's posts all the time, doesn't mean you are in the majority here. Far from it.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago No that's not what I meant to say.

What I meant to say is Carey was taken from Syracuse as a former 4 star player, with significant flaws. We've seen them all. But to Carey, there are no flaws. There is no effort to improve anything, and according to some on this site, you're not allowed to point any of the flaws out. We're just supposed to sit back and ignore them.

So, he was here for 3 years, and everyone acted like everything was hunky dory, except for the people, by and large represented in this poll, who chirped about it on game day in real time.

And "the player has zero concern about what I or any other poster feels is a weakness in their game?" Fair enough. But they are still there, glaringly obvious for all to see. And BECAUSE they have zero concern, those concerns are ignored. He is oblivious to them. Which means, you just proved my point for me. Thanks.
How do you know he has zero concern about the weaknesses of his game? I was saying he has zero concern about what YOU THINK are the weaknesses to his game. He may take what Coach Miller and Coach Johnson etc tell him are his weaknesses and work on them. He may be 100% aware of what people WHO MATTER think his weaknesses are. My point is that he doesn't care what YOU think his weaknesses are. And when YOU post them on a message board and don't see him improving upon what YOU think are his weaknesses, it doesn't mean he is ignoring them, or even ignoring you. It means that he continues to not know that you exist or care what you think.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How do you know he does? What evidence do you have to support that? The eye test over three seasons says nothing has been worked on. He's the same player he was when he first showed up here.

It's bad enough we get slapped when the player is actually here, and you are expected to keep your mouth shut. But now the player is gone, and you're still white knighting it for him. Got to defend Carey's honour on the KB message board against those who would besmirch it.

If he doesn't care about what we have to say (and I completely believe you there), why do you have to defend anything?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We've been told that Archie and his crew are great at player development. Well, all the more reason to get young players, and new players, fresh players, because Carey didn't develop anything over the last season. And Malik Martin also seemed to regress on a year to year basis. I'm not saying that's completely on the staff, but hopefully those two players are outliers. Ish did develop so hopefully that is what we see going forward.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Carey isn't on this list...

Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Not considered early entry when all is left is the extra Covid year?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Pretty much exactly my thinking, and I also voted 4. With only one year of eligibility left he won't be on the next URI tournament team, so for our roster it's better to see which players could be on that team and for him it makes sense to play pro or go to a school where he has a better role/chance of going to the tournament in his last year
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And the poll still stands at 27% yes, to 73% no. I think it's really arrogant to dismiss everyone on this site, who disagrees with you.

There are roughly 17.5 of you on here vs. 47.5. So, 30 more people. Just because your group contains more of the more vocal, active posters who like to "high five" each other's posts all the time, doesn't mean you are in the majority here. Far from it.
And it's really arrogant of you to assume you know why people are voting no. For instance, above your post someone articulated reasons for no that don't at all correlate to your arguments
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago How do you know he does? What evidence do you have to support that? The eye test over three seasons says nothing has been worked on. He's the same player he was when he first showed up here.

It's bad enough we get slapped when the player is actually here, and you are expected to keep your mouth shut. But now the player is gone, and you're still white knighting it for him. Got to defend Carey's honour on the KB message board against those who would besmirch it.

If he doesn't care about what we have to say (and I completely believe you there), why do you have to defend anything?
Your eyes not only could be lying to you, they almost definitely are. I'd say it's far more likely that Carey was working on improving but he essentially maxed out his abilities than nothing was being worked on.

That's what makes recruiting, and drafting, so hard. Eventually players just get to the max of their abilities and there's no way for them to get appreciably better, and it's impossible to know what the max is for anyone
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Here is an interesting question for you all:

What if we had a crystal ball and could tell now that next year we will be a middle of the pack A10 team with or without Carey. Yet with Carey on the team, we would win say 2 more games than without? Would you want him on the team in that case or are you all too tired of his streaky play to see him on the court again?

I'm in the camp that we are a better team with him on it. I see him as the only player who could be considered a captain next year and the only one left with any real playing experience with this team. Who knows maybe he finally has his break out year we have been waiting for and maybe not, but we need a glue guy who can lead in practice. He has always been well liked by coaches and the team and most of the rest of the team will have never played a minute of D1 ball beside Bilau and Rory. Am I wrong?
Keeping things in perspective...
Hurley (12-18):
Y1 8-21 (T14th), Y2 14-18 (10th), Y3 23-10 (T2nd, NIT), Y4 17-15 (7th), Y5 25-10 (T3rd, NCAA), Y6 26-8 (1st, NCAA).
Miller (22-?):
Y1 9-22 (14th), Y2 12-20 (T10th).
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago Here is an interesting question for you all:

What if we had a crystal ball and could tell now that next year we will be a middle of the pack A10 team with or without Carey. Yet with Carey on the team, we would win say 2 more games than without? Would you want him on the team in that case or are you all too tired of his streaky play to see him on the court again?

I'm in the camp that we are a better team with him on it. I see him as the only player who could be considered a captain next year and the only one left with any real playing experience with this team. Who knows maybe he finally has his break out year we have been waiting for and maybe not, but we need a glue guy who can lead in practice. He has always been well liked by coaches and the team and most of the rest of the team will have never played a minute of D1 ball beside Bilau and Rory. Am I wrong?
Only place you are wrong is that 3 guys coming in have a good amount of D1 experience - House, Kourtright and Zek. Nothing wrong with keeping Jalen as a transition piece. You hope he breaks out but even if he doesn't there is almost no downside to keeping him around to get these guys adjusted to Rhody. The only exception is if we can get a couple of stud recruits to fill out the last roster spots. I don't see that happening.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Starting lineup:

Wright
House
Montgomery
BURU - placeholder until official
Brown

2nd string:

Kortright
Estevez/Dubsky
Weston
Rory
Foumena

That's 11 players. Bilau is 12.

We don't need to transition, because there was nothing to transition from. Especially now that Ish is gone. We need an entirely new, free standing, independent build. The only ones left who truly experienced the 9 win season of 22-23 are Weston, Rory, and Bilau. Perfect. The fewer the better.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Starting lineup:

Wright
House
Montgomery
BURU - placeholder until official
Brown

2nd string:

Kortright
Estevez/Dubsky
Weston
Rory
Foumena

That's 11 players. Bilau is 12.

We don't need to transition, because there was nothing to transition from. Especially now that Ish is gone. We need an entirely new, free standing, independent build. The only ones left who truly experienced the 9 win season of 22-23 are Weston, Rory, and Bilau. Perfect. The fewer the better.
…You really have a kid starting who isn’t even committed?
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What difference does it make, it doesn't affect the argument one iota.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Starting lineup:

Wright
House
Montgomery
Foumena
Brown

2nd string:

Kortright
Estevez/Dubsky
Weston
Rory
Bilau

Happy?

Where is Carey playing in all of that? Answer: he's not.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And as soon as Buru does commit, that first "starting 5" is being cut and pasted and going right the heck back up.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And as soon as Buru does commit, that first "starting 5" is being cut and pasted and going right the heck back up.
I guess I just find it very premature and kind of ridiculous to name a starting 5 before the majority of these kids are enrolled and on campus.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, I've been waiting patiently to post one, but I'm not that patient, what can I say?

Hang on, so that second lineup I posted, do you believe there is anyone listed on there who is not going to enroll like Ant Harris last year?

Do tell.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, I've been waiting patiently to post one, but I'm not that patient, what can I say?

Hang on, so that second lineup I posted, do you believe there is anyone listed on there who is not going to enroll like Ant Harris last year?

Do tell.
I have less than zero idea about kids' academic situations, just like everyone else here.

It's April, the roster isn't even set in stone, and you're putting out a starting lineup before the whole team is confirmed, on campus/enrolled, and working out together.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, it's never stopped us from doing that any other off season, so why the angst about doing it now?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Unless House and Montgomery do an about face and go elsewhere, that's pretty much the lineup. We aren't getting Pride. Who else is going to scatter that? It ain't going to be Carey.

You might have thought we had 11 freshman signed right now, an entire lineup of rookies, and potentially Carey. The savior that's going to show them all the ropes. As you yourself stated before, a lot of these transfers come from places where they have a track record and excelled, we know what they are all about. You need to have a scrimmage to determine that now?

Just this year, at this moment, on 04.26.2023. Any other time, perfectly acceptable.
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I would be very surprised if Always started over Kortright to start the year. I also don't see how Weston isn't starting this year. Too talented, and he should be a focal point on the offense. We shall see how the rest of the roster shakes out.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not going to argue too much those points, SS. I'm thinking Always is the Offense, Kortright is the Defense. There are times you would want to play one, vs the other.

Weston and his "talent" hasn't manifested itself just yet, here at the University of Rhode Island. It's more like potential talent. Montgomery is the one who is actually improving year to year as of right now. It may be close, but I would give the nod to Montgomery at this moment.

Nice discussion.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I would be very surprised if Always started over Kortright to start the year. I also don't see how Weston isn't starting this year. Too talented, and he should be a focal point on the offense. We shall see how the rest of the roster shakes out.
Weston starting? Is it the hitch in his shot you like or his inability to drive past a decent defender? His defense improved during the season from piss poor to slightly below average. If I had him penciled in as a starter then I would keep recruiting the position. He needs to put some hard work in the practice facility to improve.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I would be very surprised if Always started over Kortright to start the year. I also don't see how Weston isn't starting this year. Too talented, and he should be a focal point on the offense. We shall see how the rest of the roster shakes out.
House will be the focal point unless Weston makes an astronomical leap.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
Weston starting? Is it the hitch in his shot you like or his inability to drive past a decent defender? His defense improved during the season from piss poor to slightly below average. If I had him penciled in as a starter then I would keep recruiting the position. He needs to put some hard work in the practice facility to improve.
Unlike people like yourself, I had reasonable expectations for a kid returning from an injury and playing for the first time at this level. I also believe talented players like Weston, improve as they gain experience and mature. He had plenty of freshman mistakes which we have all seen 100000 times before. He played out of position for most of the year and got pulled every time he made a mistake. He never really had a chance to get a groove, and I think you'd have to be blind not to see his potential.

I love the way he attacks the rim. He can score above the rim, and I think he already does a good job finishing through contact. That's only going to improve as he gets stronger. I expect him to bully guards/wings while driving to the hoop as he ages. He's very athletic, and I think he has the potential to be one of the better rebounders on our team. He had some nice moments posting up and in the mid-range. Obviously, he needs to keep improving his shot, especially from 3.

Weston is still here because he will have a bigger role this season. I hope we get him more involved and confident while playing where he's comfortable, and you'll see him make a jump
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And as soon as Buru does commit, that first "starting 5" is being cut and pasted and going right the heck back up.
He committed to Oakland.

Feel free to cut and paste that first starting 5 though!
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don’t know what to say, 15. I guess you’ll be getting your wish of one more year of Carey.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Now I get why they thought we would be all excited about Carey coming back. Ish wasn’t returning. No Buru. Apparently no Pride either. Wheza Panzo doesn’t seem interested. So in comparison to all that, Carey was meant to be the big surprise roll out.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Unlike people like yourself, I had reasonable expectations for a kid returning from an injury and playing for the first time at this level. I also believe talented players like Weston, improve as they gain experience and mature. He had plenty of freshman mistakes which we have all seen 100000 times before. He played out of position for most of the year and got pulled every time he made a mistake. He never really had a chance to get a groove, and I think you'd have to be blind not to see his potential.

I love the way he attacks the rim. He can score above the rim, and I think he already does a good job finishing through contact. That's only going to improve as he gets stronger. I expect him to bully guards/wings while driving to the hoop as he ages. He's very athletic, and I think he has the potential to be one of the better rebounders on our team. He had some nice moments posting up and in the mid-range. Obviously, he needs to keep improving his shot, especially from 3.

Weston is still here because he will have a bigger role this season. I hope we get him more involved and confident while playing where he's comfortable, and you'll see him make a jump
I watched him with no expectations going into last season. He is strong and athletic and I am not taking that away from him. He was not a highly skilled offensive basketball player except as a free throw shooter. I saw an average handle, average court vision, and very little deception to fake out the defense. He did not look like a skilled shooting guard. If he was banged up most of the season that might explain some of it including his lack of floor burns. Unless we scrapped the pack line defense and I missed the memo, why was he still covering players who did not possess the basketball at the 3 point line at the very end of the season while the opposing offense was scoring in the paint?

I want him to make a leap and become an above average player as much as anybody besides his family but I am not going to give him credit for what he has not yet accomplished. Time will tell and I hope you are correct about his trajectory. I hope he puts in the work because he needs to develop specific skills. A vague notion of talent and athleticism does not make someone a very good player.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I watched him with no expectations going into last season. He is strong and athletic and I am not taking that away from him. He was not a highly skilled offensive basketball player except as a free throw shooter. I saw an average handle, average court vision, and very little deception to fake out the defense. He did not look like a skilled shooting guard. If he was banged up most of the season that might explain some of it including his lack of floor burns. Unless we scrapped the pack line defense and I missed the memo, why was he still covering players who did not possess the basketball at the 3 point line at the very end of the season while the opposing offense was scoring in the paint?

I want him to make a leap and become an above average player as much as anybody besides his family but I am not going to give him credit for what he has not yet accomplished. Time will tell and I hope you are correct about his trajectory. I hope he puts in the work because he needs to develop specific skills. A vague notion of talent and athleticism does not make someone a very good player.
He didn't just get by on athleticism. That's just one attribute that I like about his game. He hit some tough shots in a variety of ways, and he got better defensively as the season went on.

I already explained why I think he's got the potential to make a jump, so I'm not gonna repeat myself but here are some clips of what I was talking about.

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, I've been waiting patiently to post one, but I'm not that patient, what can I say?

Do tell.
I have less than zero idea about kids' academic situations, just like everyone else here.

It's April, the roster isn't even set in stone, and you're putting out a starting lineup before the whole team is confirmed, on campus/enrolled, and working out together.
...on a thread about Jalen Carey, and in a way that makes it seem like he's really not having a great day...hope it improves by the end of the thread
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He committed to Oakland.

Feel free to cut and paste that first starting 5 though!
Oakland? Did we want this dude and lost out to Oakland? Would rather hear that there wasn't serious interest from here. Maybe he wanted the Cayman Islands trip...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Now I get why they thought we would be all excited about Carey coming back. Ish wasn’t returning. No Buru. Apparently no Pride either. Wheza Panzo doesn’t seem interested. So in comparison to all that, Carey was meant to be the big surprise roll out.
Unless, you have been a Carey guy all along, then there's no surprise roll-out at all. That worse players have left here (and went to Albany) with more supporters than this guy, is kinda laughable, really...