The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yes give it a few years and there could very well be pro style rules in place for free agency. Salary cap, etc. of course in college basketball rules were always meant to be broken so some teams will still try to cheat and then some of them will end up on probation, etc

But if ever there was a time to take advantage of a free for all system with no rules, NOW would be the time. If there is some big time player that Rhody really wants and the money is available do it now, because I don’t suppose this will stay like it is forever. Oh there will be free agency but it won’t be as easy for a mid major school to capitalize on it
Yes, who will be signing the best players, the Yankees and the Dodgers...or the Pirates and the Royals...
Agree - but imagine if, in MLB there were no salary cap, no commissioner, no profit sharing and the owners had no code of ethics and players could change teams every year without penalty. The Royals and the Pirates would quickly fold. That is college basketball today.

This is early in this process and kids, AAU coaches and NIL agents are just figuring this all out. It won't be long before non-P6 schools cannot compete.
To me, this is the equivalent of Pros being able to compete in the Olympics.
Fans of the game are part of the equation as well. If it is not working out for them they can walk away. This is not the highest level of basketball being played. It is not even close. Fans have to decide what is reasonable for them. Maybe season's tickets to the Boston Celtics are a better value than getting inexpensive college b-ball tickets and donating thousands on top of that to put money in the players pockets?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yes give it a few years and there could very well be pro style rules in place for free agency. Salary cap, etc. of course in college basketball rules were always meant to be broken so some teams will still try to cheat and then some of them will end up on probation, etc

But if ever there was a time to take advantage of a free for all system with no rules, NOW would be the time. If there is some big time player that Rhody really wants and the money is available do it now, because I don’t suppose this will stay like it is forever. Oh there will be free agency but it won’t be as easy for a mid major school to capitalize on it
Yes, who will be signing the best players, the Yankees and the Dodgers...or the Pirates and the Royals...
Agree - but imagine if, in MLB there were no salary cap, no commissioner, no profit sharing and the owners had no code of ethics and players could change teams every year without penalty. The Royals and the Pirates would quickly fold. That is college basketball today.

This is early in this process and kids, AAU coaches and NIL agents are just figuring this all out. It won't be long before non-P6 schools cannot compete.
Actually, the opposite of what you described would happen, and we're seeing that in men's college basketball. The competitive environment has never been more wide open, partially because teams can't "lock" players to their roster for four years, even if they're paying them. If you're not giving a player time, then he's going to transfer, since ultimately players want minutes more than anything else. We don't have a ton of reports of players willing to be the 8th to 12th man at a P6 because they're getting NIL money. (Sure, the rumored figures are nice, but non-elite players aren't getting rich off of this.)
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Link to UVA Transfer Portal Tracker. Interesting list. They need front court help big time.

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/bas ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Ousmane is listed.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wish the A10 could get in on some of this parity with the P6!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Don't they start at that time every year?
Probably, but it's a big turn off if the matchup isn't compelling. I don't think it's the main reason for the ratings being down, but it certainly is a factor of why they're not optimized
I think they should play the semi-finals on Friday night and the final on Sunday. Have the final at 6:30,. The Super Bowl does just fine at that time. On Monday night, if it's at 9:20, it's too late for people on the East Coast and if it's at 8:00, it's too early for people on the West Coast (5:00).
Don't overreact to one tournament's ratings. Nobody was complaining last year about the days and start times. The Final Four this year was 4 schools with small fan bases, no recent national success (except for UCONN) and players with very little national name recognition. To the casual fan, it didn't catch their attention.

Caitlin Clark grabbed ESPN's attention and thus a lot of casual sports fans' attentions. Every year, there are a few women's players that get hyped (Bueckers, Ionsecu, Clark) and can capture eyeballs. Look for long term trends to draw conclusions on viewing habits.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
No Makhi. Interesting.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhode Island’s starting point guard next year 👀. Also an elite 3 point shooter.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not bad to have our school mentioned with them from a PR standpoint
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode Island’s starting point guard next year 👀. Also an elite 3 point shooter.
Will have to brush up on his threes. Took zero for the season!
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Actually, the opposite of what you described would happen, and we're seeing that in men's college basketball. The competitive environment has never been more wide open, partially because teams can't "lock" players to their roster for four years, even if they're paying them. If you're not giving a player time, then he's going to transfer, since ultimately players want minutes more than anything else. We don't have a ton of reports of players willing to be the 8th to 12th man at a P6 because they're getting NIL money. (Sure, the rumored figures are nice, but non-elite players aren't getting rich off of this.)
While you could be right, my opinion is that this year was a freak event.
Like I said, wait until the game is figured out.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

While you could be right, my opinion is that this year was a freak event.
Like I said, wait until the game is figured out.
That's the URI way!
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
How does the new transfer rule play into this?
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
How does the new transfer rule play into this?
My thinking is unless he got his degree he would have to sit.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I wonder how many Rhody has contacted.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rowan Brumbaugh is transferring from Texas. Only reason why I mention it is because he is close with Dubsky. Completely speculative and i have no inside information on this one…

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Ryan Nembhard is likely just "pulling a Wong" (which I think is a great catch phase for a kid holding out for more money after a good year).
Creighton "got Wong'd" by Nembhard.

So, I think now that the NCAA opened this can of worms and made free agency a thing, they need to establish some more rules:
1) salary cap for teams, mid-level exceptions, etc.
2) players have binding contracts - 4 years, $10M and would need lawyers to get out of them. Heck, they could even write in options - 4 years, $8M but year 3 is a team option and year 4 is a player option
3) Establish the 'Bird rule' so we can resign our own players even if we are over the cap.

(this is all in good fun - yes, I understand the $$ are supposed to be from company sponsors for NIL, but we all know that the schools really pull the strings.)
From "all in good fun" to "this is what's happening"...

As far as holding out for more nildo, every player should have the right to pull his own wong...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Ok, so if NIL is here because the players were not participating in the huge profits that are being reaped from the sport, but most schools don’t make any money on the sport what’s going on? Where’s all this money they are missing out on?
No one knows where it was going before....but a lot of player seem to be gettin it now...
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

3rd time's the charm. 👊
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Rowan Brumbaugh is transferring from Texas. Only reason why I mention it is because he is close with Dubsky. Completely speculative and i have no inside information on this one…

6’4” PG, was a top 100 recruit out of high school. Redshirted this year because he would have been playing behind 2 very good PG’s at Texas Marcus Carr, and Tyrese Hunter.
rhodyblue12
ARD

That would be cool - three young, big guards that can handle and shoot? That would be something pretty cool to watch.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

grab it before it gets deleted!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He and the Rick had a "yeah, not so much" convo...?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Rowan Brumbaugh is transferring from Texas. Only reason why I mention it is because he is close with Dubsky. Completely speculative and i have no inside information on this one…

Good find Bos

Come on Dubs use your friendship and get us a player !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago He and the Rick had a "yeah, not so much" convo...?
Yep,
Gardner and the Rick didn't connect
Maybe the NIL Valuation didn't mesh between the two.

Gardner On3 NIL Valuation
Brandon Gardner currently holds a $19,900 On3 NIL Valuation.

The On3 NIL Valuation is the industry’s leading index that sets the standard market NIL value for high school and college athletes. A proprietary algorithm, the On3 NIL Valuation calculates an athlete’s NIL value using dynamic data points targeting three primary categories: performance, influence and exposure.

About On3 NIL Valuation, Brand Value, Roster Value
While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career.
The On3 NIL Valuation accounts for an athlete’s roster value and brand value. Roster value is the value an athlete has by being a member of his or her team at his or her school, which factors into the role of NIL collectives. Brand value factors in an athlete’s personal brand and the value it could bring to regional and national brands outside of the scope of NIL collectives.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Ok, so if NIL is here because the players were not participating in the huge profits that are being reaped from the sport, but most schools don’t make any money on the sport what’s going on? Where’s all this money they are missing out on?
No one knows where it was going before....but a lot of player seem to be gettin it now...
This seems like new money coming into the system unless the entities funding NIL money reduce their contributions in other areas to the college athletics machine.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Had a dream Jacob Toppin transferred back last night....it was fun until I woke up.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Told 0 chance on Rowan but that URI will reach out to Gardner
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Told 0 chance on Rowan but that URI will reach out to Gardner
Any word on the rumor linking Kenny to Alabama, Iggy?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Pc fans thinking they gonna be good next year, wait til they see Kim’s teams play defense, 💀💀
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would think David Cox had a part in this.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Next year will make two years in a row that Providence will be the best A10 team in the Big East.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am tired of NIL talk - we are not at a point where that even matters to us yet. We are not chasing down the $100k plus a year guys, we have enough opportunities here for the level of players we need. The more success the program has the more NIL money will show up as needed. We finished bottom of the A10 multiple years in a row that is the problem. It is tougher to recruit the “vision” than the product. Easy to say to a kid, hey we are close and you coming puts over the top.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
3rd time's the charm. 👊
I feel for Makhel, he does need to separate from Makhi to make his own path. We all saw that here. I don’t hold this transfer against him, it is a fairly mature decision imho.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
·
14h
UMass transfer RJ Luis tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Texas A&M
Georgia
Texas Tech
St Johns
Depaul
Mississippi State
Colorado
Iowa State
Penn State
Seton Hall
Maryland
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

According to Patrick MacWilliams, Director of the Massachusetts Collective, Luis received $1,000 from the Collective to “enter into a letter of intent” on March 13, and had until April 1 to execute the deal, worth $100,000 over two years.
Details were negotiated quickly, but everything suddenly stalled on Luis’ side after signing the letter of intent, per MacWilliams.
“At first [Luis’ response] was very positive,” MacWilliams said. “And then he just went kind of radio silent after… He never executed the deal to [April 1] and that’s after quite a bit of outreach from us and communication from us to them, which wasn’t reciprocated at all.”
“[There was no response] for about 10 days. We did everything we could, email, call, text, and it was just, there was no [response]. This is a deal we wanted to get done.”
He added that Luis never followed up, and never communicated he was entering the transfer portal, nor did he try to negotiate a better deal.
Luis did not respond to the Daily Collegian’s request for comment.

https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/rj-l ... -nil-deal/
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RJ Luis: "I'll talk to Rothstein, because hey, free advertising. But, it's the Heisman for the bunch that room and boarded and coached me for my first year and allowed me to show my skills"

I guess the "new model", according to Luis anyway, allows for player dooshiness. This (radio silence...eye roll) is dooshy, shifty, and probably indicates a lack of social and business experience combined with maybe some family paranoia....
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Probably by the end of next week, there will be about 1500 players that have entered the portal.
These next couple of weeks will be huge for us.

We did get a commit from Brown, who I liked out of Juco, but still many question marks upfront.
Brown should be a big help on the boards, but not sure how developed his offensive game is and he struggled at the line.
My biggest concern with our bigs is that none of them are proven at Div.1 level.
Still need some help there.

Hopefully House with his size can turn out to be a little bigger version of Ish.
I like his ability to attack the rim, let's see if this translates well to the A10.
Not a real big threat outside but has shown flashes and only 65% FT.
We still have to address getting some shooters.

Maybe the biggest current need is at PG.
Not one currently left on the roster, with just freshman recruit Cam coming in.

Archie and the staff have a lot of work to do on this roster if we expect to break out of the bottom tier of the conference.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I am tired of NIL talk - we are not at a point where that even matters to us yet. We are not chasing down the $100k plus a year guys, we have enough opportunities here for the level of players we need. The more success the program has the more NIL money will show up as needed. We finished bottom of the A10 multiple years in a row that is the problem. It is tougher to recruit the “vision” than the product. Easy to say to a kid, hey we are close and you coming puts over the top.
Easier to add a kid with a vision and $100k. What’s that saying, money talks…

It’s the equalizer, the universal language, it’s tangible. I hate NIL until URI actually benefits from it. I don’t care what the rules are as long as we benefit and make the most of them. I’m a URI fan and I only care what we do and how we get better. I also hate that this burden is being put on the fan base to now pay the salaries of college athletes. The NCAA should give them a share of the revenue, why are the fans being asked to do more when there is supposed to be all this money already in the sport that they want a piece of? Why is it up to the fans to fix the problem? End of rant.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I am tired of NIL talk - we are not at a point where that even matters to us yet. We are not chasing down the $100k plus a year guys, we have enough opportunities here for the level of players we need. The more success the program has the more NIL money will show up as needed. We finished bottom of the A10 multiple years in a row that is the problem. It is tougher to recruit the “vision” than the product. Easy to say to a kid, hey we are close and you coming puts over the top.
Easier to add a kid with a vision and $100k. What’s that saying, money talks…

It’s the equalizer, the universal language, it’s tangible. I hate NIL until URI actually benefits from it. I don’t care what the rules are as long as we benefit and make the most of them. I’m a URI fan and I only care what we do and how we get better. I also hate that this burden is being put on the fan base to now pay the salaries of college athletes. The NCAA should give them a share of the revenue, why are the fans being asked to do more when there is supposed to be all this money already in the sport that they want a piece of? Why is it up to the fans to fix the problem?
Hey, CEOs and Boards of Directors need to get paid too. :lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

nm
rhodyblue12
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago RJ Luis: "I'll talk to Rothstein, because hey, free advertising. But, it's the Heisman for the bunch that room and boarded and coached me for my first year and allowed me to show my skills"

I guess the "new model", according to Luis anyway, allows for player dooshiness. This (radio silence...eye roll) is dooshy, shifty, and probably indicates a lack of social and business experience combined with maybe some family paranoia....
Get used to it - a bunch of kids who have had smoke blown up their asses by the AAU culture are now running college basketball.
And as long as there are stupid rich folks willing to spend ungodly sums money to bring a championship to their school, it won't get any better.
This 'model' feeds their ego too - they will love saying they bought their college a championship.
This might be worse than slimy Rich Pitino types running the show.

No rules, no control - welcome to the wild, wild west. Somewhere Preston Murphy is shaking his head.....
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago
FGCU??????
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago