The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

Just saying that transferring four times in four years I would think would be disruptive to the process of actually earning a degree. If they care. And since 99% of these guys are not going pro I would hope schools/NCAA would take that into consideration for the support of student athletes. If they care.
Nothing wrong with your thoughts. It isn’t normal for any kids to switch colleges 4 times in four or five years for non academic reasons. I think it is funny how upset get when you question that or the state of college basketball not being as good as it used to be. Sorry for enjoying guys like Tyson Wheeler, Cutino Mobley, Reynolds Dean, Terrell, EC Mathews and others stay at a program for 3-4 years and grow at one school.
I think its funny how upset you get when a 19 or 20 year old kid decides he wants to go to a different school.
Yeah, this is never going back, or becoming more restrictive. As soon a it can be determined more money can be made through even more freedom of movement, that's what's going to happen. And probably with little resistance and fewer guidelines.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Wonder if any of these guys are concerned with their actual education.
I'm sure they're all different. I'm not sure his kid needs to care about that so much right now. He about to get p-zaid.
Not sure if you are being facetious or not but how much do you really think this guy is going to get paid? Life-changing money? I'd find that really hard to believe. Maybe I am naïve...
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Zoom recruiting

Jeff Goodmam @GoodmanHoops
16h
Michigan transfer Hunter Dickinson is set to have a zoom meeting with Kentucky today, source close to Dickinson told
@Stadium

Dickinson obviously getting plenty of love from nearly all the high-majors.

Dickinson meets with Arkansas

https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/arkans ... -dickinson
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm sure they're all different. I'm not sure his kid needs to care about that so much right now. He about to get p-zaid.
Not sure if you are being facetious or not but how much do you really think this guy is going to get paid? Life-changing money? I'd find that really hard to believe. Maybe I am naïve...

Estrada was Player of Year on 16-2 CAA Hofstra and 1st team All Conference
Jameer Nelson JR and Nick Timberlake also on 1st team All Conference CAA also highly sought after in the Transfer Sweepstakes

1FAE27D3-2CA7-4884-AA60-9F0832C8641C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

He would be one of my favorite PG targets, hope we are involved.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Big needed addition for Martin after major losses in the portal.

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He looks like he could be Frank's kid.

Maury Povich: "Frank............ you ARE the father!"
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Big needed addition for Martin after major losses in the portal.

Damn 21.8 ppg sounds like a good get
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Wow, huge get for UMass.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago He would be one of my favorite PG targets, hope we are involved.

I don’t think we can afford him. It’s being reported in the Times Union that he believes he could get as much as $65,000 in NIL. I doubt it but if can, it won’t be at URI
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Yet another example no significant player on a top tier program is exempt from transferring.

It can and will happen to anyone.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Yet another example no significant player on a top tier program is exempt from transferring.

I don’t get it, must be about NIL. He started since freshman year and still has 2 seasons left. They just went to the Elite 8 and can return the entire starting 5. They would be a top 10 team and national contenders. Yet he wants to move on, go figure.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He must have some place already in mind where he wants to go. That might lend a clue as to the reason behind this.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I don’t get it, must be about NIL. He started since freshman year and still has 2 seasons left. They just went to the Elite 8 and can return the entire starting 5. They would be a top 10 team and national contenders. Yet he wants to move on, go figure.
Go to free agency. See where the market is on you. Go to the highest bidder. The new age of college basketball.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What point guard recruits do they have coming in?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago What point guard recruits do they have coming in?
No one as good as him, not even close. Plus his back-up already entered the portal.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Not sure what the above is supposed to imply or mean. Great Creighton can lose players so it is OK it is not just us. Is that what this is supposed to mean. This system sucks. When somebody is the starting point guard on a team that gets to the elite eight and seconds away from the final four leaves, I am supposed to think great it can happen to them so I should be OK with it. I am not and it will do nothing but hurt college basketball. It is a disgrace that the women's basketball champion was bought and paid for. Nine new players going to the highest bidder, that is great for the game? Not. Plus the fact that the A10 is the worse it has been in forever, is that a result of this? Have no idea, I think this is this the worse it will ever be because of the five year Covid rules and hopefully it calms down going forward.

My love of college basketball is being tested right now. It is like the wild wild west. Even though I was very happy for Dan Hurley even though I was not pulling for UConn. It was weird I was pulling for the coach but not for the team. He was nothing but a class guy to the school, me personally and others when he was here and I am very happy for him, his wife and his family.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

No clue what Nembhard's situation is, but - Even before the times of NIL, people transferred for reasons unique to them. They now hate the coach they're playing with, or a teammate, or they're homesick, or a ton of other reasons. I'm positive players are transferring to cash-in at new schools, but I'm also positive plenty are still transferring for the same old reasons. (Maybe more. You probably tolerate some angry old asshole screaming at you more if you have to sit out a year to play basketball. See: Syracuse's "slide," by their standards, over the past nine years.)
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago

Not sure what the above is supposed to imply or mean. Great Creighton can lose players so it is OK it is not just us. Is that what this is supposed to mean. This system sucks. When somebody is the starting point guard on a team that gets to the elite eight and seconds away from the final four leaves, I am supposed to think great it can happen to them so I should be OK with it. I am not and it will do nothing but hurt college basketball. It is a disgrace that the women's basketball champion was bought and paid for. Nine new players going to the highest bidder, that is great for the game? Not. Plus the fact that the A10 is the worse it has been in forever, is that a result of this? Have no idea, I think this is this the worse it will ever be because of the five year Covid rules and hopefully it calms down going forward.

My love of college basketball is being tested right now. It is like the wild wild west. Even though I was very happy for Dan Hurley even though I was not pulling for UConn. It was weird I was pulling for the coach but not for the team. He was nothing but a class guy to the school, me personally and others when he was here and I am very happy for him, his wife and his family.
Completely agree. It will be harder than ever to get not only a kid with a huge upside or one that somehow got missed by everyone but URI, but then to have them stay and help build the team (without a well of NIL money to keep players around), is going to be a HUGE uphill battle and is definitely not good for anyone but the top flight schools/teams. Those that are dismissing it as not a big deal and/or good for the game/players I just don't get it. Not mad at anyone - respect all opinions - but I just don't get it. I think I'll sit back for awhile and just let it unfold without worrying about it too much more...
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Someone a couple weeks ago said bluebloods and great programs won’t be losing their top players to the portal.

It has happened multiple times this off-season.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You made your point.

Not only do you need to be right, but when you are right and the other person concedes, you still feel the need to keep spiking the football
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Big needed addition for Martin after major losses in the portal.

This is an example of punching above their weight given the state of their program and lack of recent success. Cohen had some suitors. Archie and this staff need their version of that.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How dare there be no new information on here after I waited multiple hours to check back here for some new delicious portal news!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago How dare there be no new information on here after I waited multiple hours to check back here for some new delicious portal news!
I waited even longer, agree... This is ridiculous
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not a bad option at PG, 2-years left.
Scored 17 pts (5-7 3PT) against Miami this past season.

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A couple of take-aways from this discussion:
1. Players transfer for all the old reasons, not just NIL money.
2. Some scholarship athletes are so poor that they don't have pocket money
to go on a date. $40/week of NIL money makes a big difference in their lives.
3. For top players looking for NIL money, URI is not their first choice.
4. Is NIL money another way that FCS level football drags down mid-major MBB?
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago A couple of take-aways from this discussion:
1. Players transfer for all the old reasons, not just NIL money.
2. Some scholarship athletes are so poor that they don't have pocket money
to go on a date. $40/week of NIL money makes a big difference in their lives.
3. For top players looking for NIL money, URI is not their first choice.
4. Is NIL money another way that FCS level football drags down mid-major MBB?
How would NIL money allow FCS Football to drag down MBB?
Players get NIL money by using their personal Name, Image and Likeness. How does FCS Football impact a basketball players NIL?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

This is an example of punching above their weight given the state of their program and lack of recent success. Cohen had some suitors. Archie and this staff need their version of that.
Combine Cohen with Matt Cross and that's a pretty formidable front line

Cohen visited UMass and Penn State in March, and was scheduled to visit Florida and Iowa this weekend before making an early decision to play for the Minutemen.

https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/umas ... osh-cohen/
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Players get NIL money by using their personal Name, Image and Likeness. How does FCS Football impact a basketball players NIL?
Players don't transfer to a school with just the hope of finding NIL money. The schools have these opportunities lined up and use them as an enticement in recruiting. P5 FBS schools have deep pockets and their donors can provide for their football NIL needs. FCS programs are money losers with donor money mainly used to keep these programs alive and they divide NIL opportunities among athletic programs.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Players don't transfer to a school with just the hope of finding NIL money. The schools have these opportunities lined up and use them as an enticement in recruiting. P5 FBS schools have deep pockets and their donors can provide for their football NIL needs. FCS programs are money losers with donor money mainly used to keep these programs alive and they divide NIL opportunities among athletic programs.
They absolutely do.

If you came from nothing, didn't have a game that translated to the NBA but you could make money for your family - potentially more in a year than an overseas contract - yes. Players would chase NIL money in plenty of situations.

As for your football comment, barely half of FBS football programs make money. It's a money loser for a lot of schools.

The next time you post something factually correct that you have knowledge about will be the first.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can't see how it's anything but great for the players. Good for them
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s easier said than done, but winning kind of makes those transfers feel like guys you’ve been rooting for from day one. Joey California (Calcaterra) somehow became a UConn legend in a single season. That part is definitely different but not necessarily bad.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's great for the players. Is it good for the game? How will the craziness of the portal and having a different team every year affect the interest of the fans? Will it affect attendance? Will it affect viewership and eventually affect advertising dollars? I don't know the answers to those. But we will find out pretty soon.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago IThat's awesome... could care less if Umass lost its entire roster. I can't stand them.. I hope the rest of the A10 is great. Screw Umass and their fanbase.
Completely disagree here. If the A10 is going to be the conference we want UMass is one of the few schools that can help us get there. Most other schools don't have the size and infrastructure to be consistently successful, UMass does. UMass and URI really need to get out of our doldrums if the A10 is to be a good conference again
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

It's great for the players. Is it good for the game? How will the craziness of the portal and having a different team every year affect the interest of the fans? Will it affect attendance? Will it affect viewership and eventually affect advertising dollars? I don't know the answers to those. But we will find out pretty soon.
To follow up on this, I read that the FINAL 4 had the lowest TV ratings in a very long time (maybe ever?). Is this because teams like SDSU and FAU didn't attract the interest of the average fan? Or is it because interest in the sport has already begun to wane? (to the average fan, not to crazies like us)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

I would imagine its the same as any other group of college students. Some do, some don't. Nothing new there and I'm not sure what it has to do with the transfer rules.
Just saying that transferring four times in four years I would think would be disruptive to the process of actually earning a degree. If they care. And since 99% of these guys are not going pro I would hope schools/NCAA would take that into consideration for the support of student athletes. If they care.
We've got decades of experience showing schools, and especially the NCAA, in most cases don't give a shit about the student athletes and view them as a means to an end, no different than any other employee
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago It seems so many kids put their names in the transfer portals to "test the waters". Many know they can come back to their current school. When this flexibility exists, the players have little to lose by putting their name in the portal. Hence more and more players go fishing.

One idea would be a rule change that makes it impossible to go back to the originating school. In other words, if you put your name in the portal, you are taking your chances that you will land in a better situation or if it doesn't work out, the player has to take a step backward. Bet that would make this a more even deal with the player and school and reduce the number in the portal.
Why would this rule change work for either side? Once a player puts their name in the portal the school doesn't have to take them back if they don't want them back. So it gives the school less options. And it hurts the player. Lose lose just because you're angry
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

To follow up on this, I read that the FINAL 4 had the lowest TV ratings in a very long time (maybe ever?). Is this because teams like SDSU and FAU didn't attract the interest of the average fan? Or is it because interest in the sport has already begun to wane? (to the average fan, not to crazies like us)
Women's college basketball had its highest ratings of all-time, and they have almost as much transferring as the men's game. Four of their top five on LSU were transfers, with one player transferring three times and another player logging time at four schools. So, I'd attribute it more to the game not being all that competitive, and featuring two programs that don't have enormous footprints.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Women's college basketball had its highest ratings of all-time, and they have almost as much transferring as the men's game. Four of their top five on LSU were transfers, with one player transferring three times and another player logging time at four schools. So, I'd attribute it more to the game not being all that competitive, and featuring two programs that don't have enormous footprints.
I think Caitlin Clark had a lot to do with the high ratings. I read more about her leading up to the final game than any other player I can remember. But yes,I agree that the women's game is growing. I'd be interested to see the movement in the portal in women's game as compared to the men's.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And a finals that didn't start until after 9 pm on the east coast
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Don't they start at that time every year?
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Ryan Nembhard is likely just "pulling a Wong" (which I think is a great catch phase for a kid holding out for more money after a good year).
Creighton "got Wong'd" by Nembhard.

So, I think now that the NCAA opened this can of worms and made free agency a thing, they need to establish some more rules:
1) salary cap for teams, mid-level exceptions, etc.
2) players have binding contracts - 4 years, $10M and would need lawyers to get out of them. Heck, they could even write in options - 4 years, $8M but year 3 is a team option and year 4 is a player option
3) Establish the 'Bird rule' so we can resign our own players even if we are over the cap.

(this is all in good fun - yes, I understand the $$ are supposed to be from company sponsors for NIL, but we all know that the schools really pull the strings.)
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yes give it a few years and there could very well be pro style rules in place for free agency. Salary cap, etc. of course in college basketball rules were always meant to be broken so some teams will still try to cheat and then some of them will end up on probation, etc

But if ever there was a time to take advantage of a free for all system with no rules, NOW would be the time. If there is some big time player that Rhody really wants and the money is available do it now, because I don’t suppose this will stay like it is forever. Oh there will be free agency but it won’t be as easy for a mid major school to capitalize on it
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yes give it a few years and there could very well be pro style rules in place for free agency. Salary cap, etc. of course in college basketball rules were always meant to be broken so some teams will still try to cheat and then some of them will end up on probation, etc

But if ever there was a time to take advantage of a free for all system with no rules, NOW would be the time. If there is some big time player that Rhody really wants and the money is available do it now, because I don’t suppose this will stay like it is forever. Oh there will be free agency but it won’t be as easy for a mid major school to capitalize on it
Yes, who will be signing the best players, the Yankees and the Dodgers...or the Pirates and the Royals...
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Probably, but it's a big turn off if the matchup isn't compelling. I don't think it's the main reason for the ratings being down, but it certainly is a factor of why they're not optimized
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Probably, but it's a big turn off if the matchup isn't compelling. I don't think it's the main reason for the ratings being down, but it certainly is a factor of why they're not optimized
I think they should play the semi-finals on Friday night and the final on Sunday. Have the final at 6:30,. The Super Bowl does just fine at that time. On Monday night, if it's at 9:20, it's too late for people on the East Coast and if it's at 8:00, it's too early for people on the West Coast (5:00).
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ok, so if NIL is here because the players were not participating in the huge profits that are being reaped from the sport, but most schools don’t make any money on the sport what’s going on? Where’s all this money they are missing out on?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yes give it a few years and there could very well be pro style rules in place for free agency. Salary cap, etc. of course in college basketball rules were always meant to be broken so some teams will still try to cheat and then some of them will end up on probation, etc

Exactly, now is the time for the donors with the deep pockets to go all in. Opportunities to quickly change your standing in the pecking order don’t come around often and this is one of them.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Yes, who will be signing the best players, the Yankees and the Dodgers...or the Pirates and the Royals...
Agree - but imagine if, in MLB there were no salary cap, no commissioner, no profit sharing and the owners had no code of ethics and players could change teams every year without penalty. The Royals and the Pirates would quickly fold. That is college basketball today.

This is early in this process and kids, AAU coaches and NIL agents are just figuring this all out. It won't be long before non-P6 schools cannot compete.
To me, this is the equivalent of Pros being able to compete in the Olympics.