2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody09 wrote: 1 year ago Great interview with Hurley on Pardon My Take. One interesting tidbit that I haven't heard before, paraphrased below:

“My first couple days on the job when I got to Uconn – cause I loved Rhode Island – that last team with Fatts and EC Matthews and Jared Terrel – beating Tre Young and Oklahoma first round of the tournament. That was a fun team, we won a lot of games. I had this great team that I loved to death, and I took that job at UConn, and it was a disaster. Talent, the way these guys were moving on campus, academics, behavior – it was so far away from anything you could win with – everything was a mess. […] The day after the press conference, I had buyer’s remorse. I was calling my agent like ‘can I go back?’ They explained the buyout, and I said ‘I guess I’ll just stay.’”

Once again. Had we invested in 2017 the way we are investing now, Danny never sets anything in motion. We messed up, and we've rectified. What he's doing at UConn he would've done here - as long as we had supported him the same. Thank Dave Dooley. If Parlange was here then, the world would be different for us.

Good for Dan. He showed everyone what's possible here. Him and Cox back to back showed everyone the contrast between what could be and what was, and why you need to invest.

Above it all Dan's a good guy, who gave us 100% the entire time he was here (unlike Eddy "first round exit"). Dan's a great example for anyone who coaches. He deserves all the support he got from UConn, and he's repaying them in kind with the run they're on.
You keep blaming Dooley, and you're still wrong. None of what Parlange is doing is possible without Dooley setting everything in motion with getting our own Board of Trustees. He used all his political capital on that one move and Parlange is benefiting from it. If you're looking for a president to blame, start with Carothers doing nothing the final half of his term, just sitting around waiting for his pension to kick in
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Don't really see why he would lie on the most popular sports podcast in America and say he wanted to come back to Rhody the day after his UConn press conference.
C'mon Dan had no intention of coming back.
Shouldn't take it that literally, lots of things are said but not really meant.
Don't really see why he would embellish all these years after though.
It's pretty much part of every coach's origin story when they took over a rebuild and find success. A few coach's have said pretty much the same thing about their situations.

Look, he was successful here, loved his time here, was always going to UConn once it opened up, and still thinks back fondly of his time here. It's not really more complicated than that
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

He wasn't staying.

Not after Slickee-boy Moore whispered sweet nothings in his ear for a whole year, not with Arrogant Haystack Calhoun at his practices -- you can only imagine what those two said to him about URI.
What they said? Or what he saw?

Because saying things like "imagine what you could do with a practice facility, charter flights, and not losing your assistant coaches every year" isn't really slander if it's true.

In fact. That's literally exactly what Dan asked for that we didn't provide.

I really don't understand some in this fanbase. URI needed to invest to keep someone like Dan. For some reason you think people who didn't go here/didn't grow up here should love URI like we do. Dan did exactly what we asked of him - got us to national prominence and winning without scandal. We were a national conversation piece by him doing things the right way. We did literally nothing in return that Dan asked of us as a fanbase or university:

Invest: assistant coaches, charter flights, practice facility.

Show up: We didn't come close to selling out every game down the stretch those 2 years we were good. We had "historically good" attendance for URI - but we as a fanbase fell short of our commitment as well. We got good and couldn't fill up our 7700 seat arena. UConn had more people in the building than us when they were bad, then they got good and routinely sell out a 10k and 15k arena.

I'm sure it wasn't hard for Calhoun to "sell" UConn against URI when you look at everything that Dan saw and then asked us to provide.

URI also needed to invest to get someone like Archie. We finally started investing. Too late for Dan, but at least we got Arch.
Yeah attendance was fucking embarrassing.

I went back recently and looked

First game of the 17/18 season

6300 showed up.

You can't come close to selling out your first game after that magical 2017 run with all those guys back!?

The next home game against Holy Cross
4300...just awful

After beating Seton Hall could we could only muster 4400 against Brown.

It'll take a lot for Archie to get people back in there.

I agree with you blueman and it is perplexing how the powers at be were too stupid to realize that they just needed to invest the way Dan wanted. I mean how short sided can you be? A school like URI benefits in incalculable ways from its Men's college basketball team being good.

The real question is how is it possible that Dave Dooley did not realize this? He just never noticed how UConn or all the several colleges that benefitted dramatically by going all in on athletics?
You can't invest money you don't have. The boosters only opened up the wallets when Dan had a UConn offer. Too late
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Funny how things work out say Thorr hired Shrewsbery and then players leave cuz Cox didn’t get the head coaching job

Does Micah parlay that into 5 M per year @ ND ??
I don't recall Shrewsberry on the list (maybe ours, but no official list/list of finalists). If I recall correctly the lists of finalists were underwhelming at the time. Joe Dooley (who was fired from East Carolina before Cox I think). I don't remember who else if anyone does.
Cox, Dooley, Shrewsbury, and one other name I'm forgetting were the finalists
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What’s Joe Dooley up to these days ??
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Funny how things work out say Thorr hired Shrewsbery and then players leave cuz Cox didn’t get the head coaching job

Does Micah parlay that into 5 M per year @ ND ??
I don't recall Shrewsberry on the list (maybe ours, but no official list/list of finalists). If I recall correctly the lists of finalists were underwhelming at the time. Joe Dooley (who was fired from East Carolina before Cox I think). I don't remember who else if anyone does.
Cox, Dooley, Shrewsbury, and one other name I'm forgetting were the finalists
Was Becker?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

She’s awesome. And still really misses RI !!
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Andrea and I have something in common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn flew to Houston on the Pats team plane
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Who is UConn’s most important player and the guy they probably can’t win without? Jordan Hawkins.

Also,

I am stressed.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah that is NOT good! Maybe he can pull off a Jordan flu game type performance?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm seeing that he has a slight stomach issue and should be good to go for tomorrow night. Would be nice to get some shooting practice in in that giant arena though...
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sure he'll at least give it a go either way.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody09 wrote: 1 year ago Great interview with Hurley on Pardon My Take. One interesting tidbit that I haven't heard before, paraphrased below:

“My first couple days on the job when I got to Uconn – cause I loved Rhode Island – that last team with Fatts and EC Matthews and Jared Terrel – beating Tre Young and Oklahoma first round of the tournament. That was a fun team, we won a lot of games. I had this great team that I loved to death, and I took that job at UConn, and it was a disaster. Talent, the way these guys were moving on campus, academics, behavior – it was so far away from anything you could win with – everything was a mess. […] The day after the press conference, I had buyer’s remorse. I was calling my agent like ‘can I go back?’ They explained the buyout, and I said ‘I guess I’ll just stay.’”

Once again. Had we invested in 2017 the way we are investing now, Danny never sets anything in motion. We messed up, and we've rectified. What he's doing at UConn he would've done here - as long as we had supported him the same. Thank Dave Dooley. If Parlange was here then, the world would be different for us.

Good for Dan. He showed everyone what's possible here. Him and Cox back to back showed everyone the contrast between what could be and what was, and why you need to invest.

Above it all Dan's a good guy, who gave us 100% the entire time he was here (unlike Eddy "first round exit"). Dan's a great example for anyone who coaches. He deserves all the support he got from UConn, and he's repaying them in kind with the run they're on.
You keep blaming Dooley, and you're still wrong. None of what Parlange is doing is possible without Dooley setting everything in motion with getting our own Board of Trustees. He used all his political capital on that one move and Parlange is benefiting from it. If you're looking for a president to blame, start with Carothers doing nothing the final half of his term, just sitting around waiting for his pension to kick in
02, I get what you are saying - President Dooley did an excellent job, imho, as far as I know via my relationship with the University at that time which was outside of athletics.

That said, BlueMan is pissed at Dooley for meddling in the basketball program and does not wish to air that dirty laundry and, rightfully so. He would definitely know more about the inner workings of the basketball program than me so, I trust him on that without any details.

That revelation from him about meddling by President Dooley is certainly disappointing to me because I love the basketball program. However, it doesn’t lessen the high level of respect I have for President Dooley for what he accomplished on behalf of the University as a whole on other fronts and the work he did to place his successor and the University in a position to succeed going forward as you explain in your post above.

I trust BlueMan will share what he knows with you offline or in private somewhere at some point, if you are curious.

No one is perfect. President Dooley was an excellent President in my eyes despite the imperfections.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What’s the thinking on the FF games today….anyone ?

I give UConn the edge in the nightcap but Hawkins potentially out or limited, I am not so sure. However, I still think that UConn is the more balanced team and their bigs will give Miami trouble when they are on D. That said, I will go with UConn 71-68.

I am up in the air on FAU and SDSU. Good matchup. Not sure which way it will go.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Man! This FAU team is relentless!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They can really play Drums
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s an excellent game, Reef. Ballsy comeback by SDSU to cut the lead from 14 to two.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago What’s the thinking on the FF games today….anyone ?

I give UConn the edge in the nightcap but Hawkins potentially out or limited, I am not so sure. However, I still think that UConn is the more balanced team and their bigs will give Miami trouble when they are on D. That said, I will go with UConn 71-68.

I am up in the air on FAU and SDSU. Good matchup. Not sure which way it will go.
This game going down into the wire.

UConn hasn’t played a close game late. It’ll be interesting to see how they react if the game is close late.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

FAU is such a good team. On both ends. Great game.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

give credit to Conference USA
Final 2 teams playing for NIT champ and a final 4 team.
Very impressive
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Charlotte won the CBI

Conf USA going for the sweep of all 3 tournaments

And then these Conf USA teams turn into AAC Teams July 1st
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Wow! Great game!

Nothing but net for the game winning jumper at the buzzer! SDSU moving on.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hate to see someone lose. Great game.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Aztecs!!! Onions!!!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Hate to see someone lose. Great game.
Great shot but also feel for FAU.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Agreed, Stevie. They had a great run and played a great game. Very, very difficult way to lose.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I feel for the FAU kids they should have won !!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Larranga out coached there only 4 team fouls why wouldn't you waste 2 there instead UConn drills a 3 @ horn before halftime
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

So let me get this straight. Nigel Pack makes about 400K through NIL and he can’t take two pairs of basketball shoes to the Final Four?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like UConn playing for a Natty Monday night
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Not about, at least.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Very impressive our very own DH !!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Let’s not count out SDSU. I agree UCONN will probably win, SDSU has shown great d and is worthy of respect.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

San Diego State is good- they are an elite and annoying defensive team, always disruptive and tough as hell. They are also one of the oldest and most experienced teams in college basketball. They’re not going to be rattled. They are also just an above average but not elite offensive team but have still managed to come back from significant deficits throughout the tournament. UConn will be favored, but they are not going to be given anything. I’ve talked myself into worrying about every game since Iona, and I am not stopping now. But holy hell- what an amazing run and a special group of guys. They didn’t play great against Miami but still won fairly comfortably. My current state- a happy, nervous mess. Also, if you do not love Adama Sanogo, you are wrong.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UConn is going to roll them.
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago UConn is going to roll them.
Kinda doubt it at this point

They are just too resilient and you cant forget how they took out Alabama who was playing at UConns level before they ran into SDSU.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Still so mad FAU lost!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago UConn is going to roll them.
Kinda doubt it at this point

They are just too resilient and you cant forget how they took out Alabama who was playing at UConns level before they ran into SDSU.
I'm prepared to eat crow. But UConn is peaking and have the depth, defense and inside-out game to dominate. We'll see!
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am expecting a tough, low scoring game. Both teams are playing at a high level on D.

That said, it’s one game and anything can happen. With the 3 pt shot, one team can get on a role and it snowballs to a blowout.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN is favored by 8, a huge amount for a Championship Game. Too bad it's so one-sided.
UCONN rolls easily
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the only way SDSU wins is like a 63-60 type of game

I’m really rooting for UConn to win it so I hope it’s not close
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago UCONN is favored by 8, a huge amount for a Championship Game. Too bad it's so one-sided.
UCONN rolls easily
Agree, we all know they have won all of their games by significant double digits. For me one of the indicators is that in every game so far they have been on the verge EARLY of blowing out teams. Even last night they almost had Miami in a DEEP hole in the first half. Withstood a tying run in the second and still won handily. I will give SDSU credit in that they are all like 32 years old but they have not faced a team like CT.

Even Danny said something to the effect of the BE teams - they see most of them twice in a season and they all know each other pretty well. It's highly unlikely that SDSU has faced a team like UConn yet and it's tough to prepare for that from some tape. BE ball is tough and UConn is at least as tough as SDSU on D.

And UConn is fully healthy - I believe Hawkins is over the sharts...
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I was watching Jon Rothstein this afternoon talk about the game. He said SDSU is the first team in the tourney that UConn will face that matches up very well with them inside.

He doesn’t expect UConn to have it easy underneath getting points as they have throughout the tourney as a result - which will force UConn to attack SDSU over the top. But, SDSU is a top team defending the 3 as well, as others said earlier on the show.

Should make for a close exciting game I hope.

I’ll be vey happy for Dan, his family, Murray and Berry if they win.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rothstein just being Rothstein. These guys are pumping the game but it shouldn't be close.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein just being Rothstein. These guys are pumping the game but it shouldn't be close.
It's their job to pump it...what are they gonna say..."blow out coming, no need to watch!" LOL
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

UConn has dominated the paint in all their games. Miami had no one who could bother Sanogo or Clingan. If they needed a basket Dan drew up so many plays to get Sanogo on a seal for an easy layup. It was never really a game. Miami was working so hard for every basket you could tell they couldn’t do that for 40 minutes. If UConn plays their game SDSU can’t beat them. But that’s why they play the game.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago UConn has dominated the paint in all their games. Miami had no one who could bother Sanogo or Clingan. If they needed a basket Dan drew up so many plays to get Sanogo on a seal for an easy layup. It was never really a game. Miami was working so hard for every basket you could tell they couldn’t do that for 40 minutes. If UConn plays their game SDSU can’t beat them. But that’s why they play the game.
One game, anything can happen for sure.
Mobley was fouled.