URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by ramster »

Advice for RV.

A53563BC-4179-449F-93CC-21D9DCA2FE38.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It’s close enough that there is potential infringement on copyrighted marks. But it’s a twitter account of a guy with 1k followers so no one really gives a shit. I’m sure like me they are just hoping he fades to oblivion.
You seem to care. You are worried about a logo and some comments that a guy on Twitter makes.
But where does it end?
He gets from 1k to 5k, then 25k.........
You don't think URI lawyers should be onto this "potential infringement on copyrighted marks" early on?
I could see Archie ultimately saying I've had it with this idiot and move on. I wouldn't put up with his shit.
Dude.

URI in no way shape or form owns “Rhody” “Rhody Vault” or the goddamn basketball in the twitter account.

Bring this case to a lawyer and watch them laugh right in your face.

Give it up.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

His entire branding is URI themed but misleading considering how much he talks about PC/Brown/Bryant. I wouldn't care for him but he makes himself out to be a "Rhody" content creator even though he shits on them all the time. Come on R15 lol.
URI doesn’t have a trademark on literally anything in the picture.
He started with URI.
He expanded beyond URI
He craps all over URI MBB team management

I would not expect that to bother you. Not at all surprised.

Does anybody think "Rhody Vault" inside of a Basketball Diagram doesn't make a Rhode Islander think he is associated with URI I don't know what to tell you.

If it had PC inside the same Basketball would you associate that with PC? URI? Bryant? The Big East?

Didn't BlueMan say RV bought up all the Rhody, URI, etc domains he could? Thought I read that. If so is that normal behavior? Normal for a URI supporter?

Even if not against the law something seems wrong.
His first amendment freedoms really bother you? He does not have to do what you would like him to do. You have the freedom to ignore his content. You also have the freedom to make your own content. You could be better than Vault if he is doing so much wrong and it bothers you. Show him how it is done.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You seem to care. You are worried about a logo and some comments that a guy on Twitter makes.
But where does it end?
He gets from 1k to 5k, then 25k.........
You don't think URI lawyers should be onto this "potential infringement on copyrighted marks" early on?
I could see Archie ultimately saying I've had it with this idiot and move on. I wouldn't put up with his shit.
Dude.

URI in no way shape or form owns “Rhody” “Rhody Vault” or the goddamn basketball in the twitter account.

Bring this case to a lawyer and watch them laugh right in your face.

Give it up.
Gotta go,
Ed Cooley's calling me
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago

URI doesn’t have a trademark on literally anything in the picture.
He started with URI.
He expanded beyond URI
He craps all over URI MBB team management

I would not expect that to bother you. Not at all surprised.

Does anybody think "Rhody Vault" inside of a Basketball Diagram doesn't make a Rhode Islander think he is associated with URI I don't know what to tell you.

If it had PC inside the same Basketball would you associate that with PC? URI? Bryant? The Big East?

Didn't BlueMan say RV bought up all the Rhody, URI, etc domains he could? Thought I read that. If so is that normal behavior? Normal for a URI supporter?

Even if not against the law something seems wrong.
His first amendment freedoms really bother you? He does not have to do what you would like him to do. You have the freedom to ignore his content. You also have the freedom to make your own content. You could be better than Vault if he is doing so much wrong and it bothers you. Show him how it is done.
My 1st amendment freedoms allow me to complain about how he treats my URI MBB Head Coach. In Miller's 1st month on the job no less.

If you think Archie Miller is good with RV then my only question is why do you think Archie Miller has not given him an interview, any quotations, anything at all - nada.

RV has been rotten to Archie Miller all season. That's it.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Zero chance Ramster, zero.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Zero chance Ramster, zero.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think RV is supposed to have been a URI fan but he has such an axe to grind with Arch that all he does now is take pot shots
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

To understand who is going and coming you have to assess the current state and future prospects for the URI basketball program. As I see it being optimistic:
1. URI will not have a .500 record next year (2023-2024) and
2. URI will not be a tournament team the following year (2024-2025).
If you agree with this then you need to build for the 2025-2026 season. This means:
1. No current Sophomore or Junior will be part of our next tournament team.
2. You have evaluated current Freshman for a year and know who might be valuable on a tournament team in 25-26.
3. Current Sophomores and Juniors only have value as fillers in the future. (This is why they are in the portal.)
4. All resources (NIL opportunities etc) should go to freshman you want to keep and new players who will still be eligible in 2025-2026.
What I see going on with the MBB program is consistent with this outlook.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago To understand who is going and coming you have to assess the current state and future prospects for the URI basketball program. As I see it being optimistic:
If you agree with this then you need to build for the 2025-2026 season. This means:
2. You have evaluated current Freshman for a year and know who might be valuable on a tournament team in 25-26.
3. Current Sophomores and Juniors only have value as fillers in the future. (This is why they are in the portal.)
4. All resources (NIL opportunities etc) should go to freshman you want to keep and new players who will still be eligible in 2025-2026.
I guess the, “we/ll be good, when we/re good” quotes fits that timeline, among others….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago To understand who is going and coming you have to assess the current state and future prospects for the URI basketball program. As I see it being optimistic:
I guess the, “we/ll be good, when we/re good” quotes fits that timeline, among others….
“we/ll be good, when we/re good” Never had a timeline. By definition it has no timeline. Never did. But it was/is Catchy and many love it.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

“we/ll be good, when we/re good” Never had a timeline. By definition it has no timeline. Never did. But it was/is Catchy and many love it.
Its kind of like the "stealth" recruiting thing. Sort of meaningless and it sounds good until it isn't.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Don't forget the rest of that quote: "And then we'll be real good!"
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No way can Archie or anyone predict when we will be good.

This isnt like when Ali would predict which round he would knock someone out lol.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Bummed about Hutch. Really liked the kid.
I guess this is the new reality of college basketball. Tough to get attached to anyone anymore.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago No way can Archie or anyone predict when we will be good.

This isnt like when Ali would predict which round he would knock someone out lol.
He has given no time table. I wouldn't expect one.
They are working on it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Bummed about Hutch. Really liked the kid.
I guess this is the new reality of college basketball. Tough to get attached to anyone anymore.
To be fair, Hutch seems like the kind of player that would have transferred anytime in the past 20 years - a freshman who didn't get much time on a bad team. Leggett is the one that likely wouldn't have transferred before the rules changed.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

DEBBIE DOWNER
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhodyVault is more of a PC fan than a Rhody fan. I believe a lot of his criticism of Archie comes from that.
Yep. PC first and foremost but RhodyVault is also a HUGE Bryant Fan. He also likes Brown a LOT too.

And we know who he doesn't like.
Yup. Just look at the ratio of PC/Bryant to URI posts. I wish he would change his name, but he refuses to.
If I reference him in a post, it will only be as the Vault. I will not reference him using Rhody.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Yep. PC first and foremost but RhodyVault is also a HUGE Bryant Fan. He also likes Brown a LOT too.

And we know who he doesn't like.
Yup. Just look at the ratio of PC/Bryant to URI posts. I wish he would change his name, but he refuses to.
If I reference him in a post, it will only be as the Vault. I will not reference him using Rhody.
Thank you for your service, doing Gods work with that.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ve stayed on the same timeline I think after year 3 we pretty much will be top 4 in conference every season , I’m still confident
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’ve stayed on the same timeline I think after year 3 we pretty much will be top 4 in conference every season , I’m still confident
I think it can happen as early as next season. Every top team from the A10 this year has experienced either top players graduating, transferring or coaches leaving. VCU has to recruit a whole new team. I’ve heard Daron Holmes may leave Dayton. Fordham’s top 2 and only double digit scorers are graduating. SLU loses several guys. GMU will have a whole new team.

THE DOOR IS WIDE OPEN. DRINK THE KOOL-AID
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Maybe with the addition of Brown, Alex became a 4 and the 3 is overcrowded with Weston, Rory, and someone to be determined.
Rory is going to guard a 3?
yes, at least to start out the possession, then the packattack line picks up for him after the blow by
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

And not just the ratio but the commentary.
Bryant waaayyyyyy underachieved this year but you would never know it from Vault. All nice posts for PC, Bryant and Brown - sucking up
He hyped up Bryant, who had a pretty stacked roster and, like you said, underachieved.
RhodyVault is a huge RhodyVault fan. That's it.

I know he was a URI basketball fan at some point, and I believe that.

Unfortunately since he's tried to monetize this venture he's become more activist than journalist - covering those who give him access more favorably than those who don't.

The lack of criticism for Bryant/Grasso - who had probably the most disappointing season of all RI teams relative to their talent/expectations - and the piling on about Archie is blatantly obvious.

Most commentary on something unrelated comes with a thinly veiled shot at Archie. He comes off like a jilted female who's still obsessed with her ex. While he takes potshots every chance he gets, if Archie gave him the time of day RV would run screaming right back into his arms.

I don't think he has the cache he presents, I'm assuming he pays for a lot of the interviews he gets, and he's parlayed that into being able to get the guys who don't get enough attention wanting to talk to him.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago I’ve stayed on the same timeline I think after year 3 we pretty much will be top 4 in conference every season , I’m still confident
I think it can happen as early as next season. Every top team from the A10 this year has experienced either top players graduating, transferring or coaches leaving. VCU has to recruit a whole new team. I’ve heard Daron Holmes may leave Dayton. Fordham’s top 2 and only double digit scorers are graduating. SLU loses several guys. GMU will have a whole new team.

THE DOOR IS WIDE OPEN. DRINK THE KOOL-AID
I absolutely believe that Dev
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Interesting. From 5/21/22:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As evidenced by the URI players departing in the portal, the development system, it would seem needs adjustments to the environment that it college basketball today. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago As evidenced by the URI players departing in the portal, the development system, it would seem needs adjustments to the environment that it college basketball today. No?
Well you’re losing 2 to graduation.

Can’t say completely whether you’ve lost Ish or not.

Bassy and Samb were not Archie guys and cannot play at this level.

Bray and Lou are the only Archie recruits that have transferred so far.

Currently Weston, Rory, Bilau, Foumena, Tchikou are all still here.

Can’t really count last year based on the cycle and the guys being out of coaching. Tyson Brown is a top 25 juco kid - already a huge departure and improvement from the kids we got last offseason.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

DEBBIE DOWNER
What you call a downer, is an optimistic prediction for the MBB program. If this is not good enough for you, then buy season tickets for the WBB program.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Unless there are some surprises I dont expect us to be good enough next season to be a tournament team even the NIT.

By Archie Year 3 I do expect major improvement to at least be in the mix. That's why the November recruiting period will be so important.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thought's on Vault's comment?

I know some here love this if he's accurate and Arch changes his stance. I'm happy with it taking long if in the long run it turns us into a consistent top 4 A10 team.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Most current A10 head coaches today are the highest paid basketball head coaches in their school's history.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Thought's on Vault's comment?

I know some here love this if he's accurate and Arch changes his stance. I'm happy with it taking long if in the long run it turns us into a consistent top 4 A10 team.
Just another pot shot @ Arch he obviously still has that axe to grind
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Anybody else notice it was Alex Tchikou’s 21st bday this past week and no social post from RhodyMBB as per usual? I might be reading into that but thought it was curious.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago Interesting. From 5/21/22:
Times are a-changing quickly....May 2022...that's "back in the old days"
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Anybody else notice it was Alex Tchikou’s 21st bday this past week and no social post from RhodyMBB as per usual? I might be reading into that but thought it was curious.
good catch. Do you think he's waiting on someone to commit before entering the portal?
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I think there are players who have already made the decision or have been told to enter portal. Why they are waiting I do not know.
You are either in or out.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Anybody else notice it was Alex Tchikou’s 21st bday this past week and no social post from RhodyMBB as per usual? I might be reading into that but thought it was curious.
good catch. Do you think he's waiting on someone to commit before entering the portal?
Things can change on a dime once better talent is on its way in
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I think there are players who have already made the decision or have been told to enter portal. Why they are waiting I do not know.
You are either in or out.
All of these guys get a "feel" for where they can go before they announce their departure, usually through backchannels (former coaches talking to assistants at other places, for example). I suspect that might be happening with some of them. I'd also suspect that the transfers from last year (Weston, Tchikou, etc.) do have to weigh whether they want to try getting a waiver, or actually sit for a year, if they do transfer again. Even if they're only going to get 15 minutes or less per game here going forward, that might be better than transferring to an unknown situation.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't believe that all players are "either win or out". Some have been told they have a scholarship for next year, some have been told they don't and some have been told that their scholarship depends upon which prospects commit.
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm thinking that is accurate
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie Miller is a far superior basketball coach than David Cox. But, so far he has not been the pied piper for basketball talent that I thought he would be. It is too early for any final judgements, but in this one area I'm not seeing much of an improvement over David Cox. Being objective, what do you think?
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Archie Miller is a far superior basketball coach than David Cox.

As far as the other assessment: first year was a lot of quick fixes. Ishmael's parents reportedly complaining that Ish had to do everything by himself out there, ie. not a lot of talent surrounding him. That probably worsened after the Bray departure. Lost their best post player to injury, JUCO Bilau. Two other frontcourt players, Alex and Rory were shown to not be true post players, ie. not rebounders. And one very talented player never showed up, and another former 4* player Weston seemed to lack focus, and another athletic player who just entered the portal this past week seemed to be more interested in making high light reel plays than Archie's offense, and probably should have red shirted which was the original plan. And probably their best big man prospect was red shirted.

So, fast forward to year two:

So far, four players. Estevez looks like a very solid long term PG recruit, hopefully he stays for a long time if it translates to this level. Dubsky looks like a stud outside shooter. House is Bray 2.0 and should fill that role very well. And Brown is probably the best post player recruit this team has had since Dan got Hassan Martin.

So, right now, things are looking pretty good recruiting wise for year two.

Add to that Foumena, who is coming off the red shirt. Weston who will probably be given one more go of it to see if he can demonstrate the potential that scouts saw in him when they gave him that lofty rating. And Rory as a spot shooter off the bench. Basically everything that could be salvaged from the first recruiting class.

year two is looking pretty good, but of course, recruiting is only as good as the last player and the next player, so they have to keep that going, and keep winning the recruiting battles for the best players they can find. And not settle for a mediocre player. I think that would be a mistake, not to mention draw a lot of criticism at this stage of the rebuilding process.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Archie Miller is a far superior basketball coach than David Cox.

As far as the other assessment: first year was a lot of quick fixes. Ishmael's parents reportedly complaining that Ish had to do everything by himself out there, ie. not a lot of talent surrounding him. That probably worsened after the Bray departure. Lost their best post player to injury, JUCO Bilau. Two other frontcourt players, Alex and Rory were shown to not be true post players, ie. not rebounders. And one very talented player never showed up, and another former 4* player Weston seemed to lack focus, and another athletic player who just entered the portal this past week seemed to be more interested in making high light reel plays than Archie's offense, and probably should have red shirted which was the original plan. And probably their best big man prospect was red shirted.

So far, four players. Estevez looks like a very solid long term PG recruit, hopefully he stays for a long time if it translates to this level. Dubsky looks like a stud outside shooter. House is Bray 2.0 and should fill that role very well. And Brown is probably the best post player recruit this team has had since Dan got Hassan Martin.

Add to that Foumena, who is coming off the red shirt. Weston who will probably be given one more go of it to see if he can demonstrate the potential that scouts saw in him when they gave him that lofty rating. And Rory as a spot shooter off the bench. Basically everything that could be salvaged from the first recruiting class.

year two is looking pretty good, but of course, recruiting is only as good as the last player and the next player, so they have to keep that going, and keep winning the recruiting battles for the best players they can find. And not settle for a mediocre player. I think that would be a mistake, not to mention draw a lot of criticism at this stage of the rebuilding process.
Aren’t you making a lot of assumptions here?

Estevez and Dubsky are freshman. I think Dubsky will be a good outside shooter, but we have never seen him play at D-1 level.

Once again Foumena is someone we haven’t seen play at the D-1 level. He might be good, but to basically say we are set there is something I want to see

Granted we haven’t had many great big men over the years, but saying Brown is the best post player is a little much. He has never played at this level and I’m definitely a wait and see on him.

House seems to be somewhere between Carey and Freeman. He can score, but is not a three point shooter.

From where URI stands to me right now they are at the same level as last year-lose Ish, Freeman, Carey and bring in Brown, House and add Foumena. The teams in the A-10 seem to keep getting worse so they may be able to win a few more games. The front court looks better and the backcourt looks to be worse at this point. Hopefully he signs three quality players. Archie got a big contract and needs to deliver on the recruiting/transfer end this year

They need a point guard and 2 three point shooters at this point.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Archie Miller is a far superior basketball coach than David Cox.

Aren’t you making a lot of assumptions here?

Estevez and Dubsky are freshman. I think Dubsky will be a good outside shooter, but we have never seen him play at D-1 level.

Once again Foumena is someone we haven’t seen play at the D-1 level. He might be good, but to basically say we are set there is something I want to see

Granted we haven’t had many great big men over the years, but saying Brown is the best post player is a little much. He has never played at this level and I’m definitely a wait and see on him.

House seems to be somewhere between Carey and Freeman. He can score, but is not a three point shooter.

From where URI stands to me right now they are at the same level as last year-lose Ish, Freeman, Carey and bring in Brown, House and add Foumena. The teams in the A-10 seem to keep getting worse so they may be able to win a few more games. The front court looks better and the backcourt looks to be worse at this point. Hopefully he signs three quality players. Archie got a big contract and needs to deliver on the recruiting/transfer end this year

They need a point guard and 2 three point shooters at this point.
Yes RS, it is much too early to assume anything about our players and how much they can contribute.

The frontcourt will be improved with the additions and development of our bigs.

But currently our backcourt is another story.
Losing a player of what Ish accomplished last season is huge.
We will miss Bray's scoring ability and even Cary who had his moments.
Archie has a lot of work to do here, and I am sure he will address those needs and voids.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought Carey was still on the team. No?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago Aren’t you making a lot of assumptions here?
It's the off season, everything is an assumption. So, yes.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, and I didn't say anything is set. I was answering 72's question, and showing a comparison of how the recruiting is going so far this year as opposed to last year.

Obviously, he probably needs at least three more players. Players who could be starters in the A-10.

I think the last two signings were of that variety. I think Estevez could be worked into the line up the way Bassy was. I think if Dubsky is the shooter we think he is, he'll get minutes.

I would feel a lot better with another front court player who could compliment Brown. Someone like Buru or Minor. And just guards in general who can shoot the ball.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good take, I see things the same. I’m a eternal optimist tho. Assume Miller is continuing to recruit Leggett, certainly a key piece to retain. Stealth train continues but results seem to be improving.

Go Rhody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!