2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago For amusement sake I heard this from my barber last night who is a big PC guy. Several connected season ticket holders have claimed to him that Cooley got pulled over just before the losing streak started with his side piece in the car. Wife found out about it and gave him the ultimatum "Either we leave together or I am leaving". :lol: :roll: I am skeptical, but he was convinced 100%.
And she thinks his philandering will stop? He's making enough money to fly her in whenever he wants some.
I've read about that and more over on the 247Friars board. Some bad stuff about the family. Not necessary to put some of the stuff like this out in public, it's not even proven and even if it was proven true it's terrible to post. Many PC message board people (not all) are very upset, angry, vengeful.....it's over, they should move on. And now they are going the other extreme and showering their new head coach with superlatives. All Cooley really did was take a new job. That's it. He took a new job after 12 years. Bad look over there, worse than I'd have expected. The personal family stuff should all be deleted. No place for that on a College Public Message Board. If I were Cooley I'd be glad I got myself and my family out of there.
Could not have said that any better.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyram99 wrote: 1 year ago

And she thinks his philandering will stop? He's making enough money to fly her in whenever he wants some.
I've read about that and more over on the 247Friars board. Some bad stuff about the family. Not necessary to put some of the stuff like this out in public, it's not even proven and even if it was proven true it's terrible to post. Many PC message board people (not all) are very upset, angry, vengeful.....it's over, they should move on. And now they are going the other extreme and showering their new head coach with superlatives. All Cooley really did was take a new job. That's it. He took a new job after 12 years. Bad look over there, worse than I'd have expected. The personal family stuff should all be deleted. No place for that on a College Public Message Board. If I were Cooley I'd be glad I got myself and my family out of there.
Could not have said that any better.
Yeah, PC fans just need to finish their hefty serving of humble pie and move forward. Which is hopefully backwards.
Mobley was fouled.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago For amusement sake I heard this from my barber last night who is a big PC guy. Several connected season ticket holders have claimed to him that Cooley got pulled over just before the losing streak started with his side piece in the car. Wife found out about it and gave him the ultimatum "Either we leave together or I am leaving". :lol: :roll: I am skeptical, but he was convinced 100%.
Good post Ramster. I hate Friartown( a well known fact) but in a fair play sort of way. I think mods should scrub bad rumors about a hated rival from our board.

Play fair…

Last request from me for a separate all things Friartown thread. This is Rhode Island Ram forum.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This doesn't pass the smell test for me. OK, so Cooley gets pulled over with a side chick. Even if his wife finds out he got pulled over, like found a speeding ticket or something, it probably wouldn't list any passengers, right? So how does she find out he had a side chick with him in this scenario?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Temple found a new coach A Fisher
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
That coaching search was a mess. Multiple coaches turned down the job apparently.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No one has corroborated Dick Weiss. And he’s been wrong a lot.
Rothstein said offer extended but never said accepted.
waiting for approval from "this" board? or, some other message board?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
That coaching search was a mess. Multiple coaches turned down the job apparently.
UMass v 2.0?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
I wonder why it was a mess ? What’s up at Temple for that to happen ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Now official.
May even be an upgrade for VCU.
Odom gets back to the East coast.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think Ted Dibiase would laugh at that meager 5% allotted to salary increase.

Cooley's getting what? $2.5 Million more per year? x at least 5 years = $12.5 million more, on top of the amt he was already making, which is to say, he just basically doubled that over the next 5 years.

It's amazing how people just disregard the money.
1st - why be so insulting? Ted Dibiasi picture?
2nd - these are private schools. They do not provide contract details like public schools are allowed to
3rd - taking rumors Cooley was at $4.1 million per year - a contract for life. don't know the new contract but have seen $6. Million. It was mentioned earlier in discussions that Georgetown would make the money right at least to make it look like money drove the decision
4th - PC was all ready to up the salary to get Cooley to stay so the gap of $2.5 million per year you are stating is overstate. Would have at least gone to $5 million, probably more.

My guesses are what drove Cooley AND his family (which he mentioned numerous times in interviews) to make the move. What would drive you or me or anyone else to take the Georgetown offer could be and very likely would be very different.

Remember too, most all posters here thought there was little or no chance he would leave PC
Put me in the 'gone from the get go' camp...not sure what that means though... :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It wasn't meant to be insulting, it was meant to be funny.
Ted the nohehoh?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago It doesn't end for Cooley and Providence. Not only did he leave, but with the new rules, he guts them of their incoming players
Imagine that, recruits would give up the opportunity for a PC degree and settle for a degree from GTown!
Well, it's all about that degree, right?!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago 3.7 M per year for Rhodes 7 years , thoughts ??
good work if you can get it?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So, in other words...total meltdown? Not that there's anything wrong with that.... (they'll get over it, probably not with English, but the next guy)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

Good post Ramster. I hate Friartown( a well known fact) but in a fair play sort of way. I think mods should scrub bad rumors about a hated rival from our board.

Play fair…

Last request from me for a separate all things Friartown thread. This is Rhode Island Ram forum.
i guess I second the separate fryer thread idea, like the Hurley/UConn thread...the fried could be fun to follow for some schad in a tough BE... and would otherwise just infiltrate other threads.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey is George Mason the best available job open now ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Right , DH looks @ that contract and says if Rhodes is worth 3.7 M for 7 what am I worth
Contracts being negotiated in high inflationary environment too. Net present value of long term contracts.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Now official.
May even be an upgrade for VCU.
Odom gets back to the East coast.

Quick turnaround as VCU announced their Mike Rhoades replacement.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/2023/03/vc ... all-coach/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Rhoades Contract details link from VCU message board website

https://www.statecollege.com/articles/p ... eUBPpWlDJc
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I don’t know anything about his coaching ability but, he’s a former player on a memorable team for the program, so that may provide some excitement at least.

Skinn’s vs shirts. Let’s play some hoops!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lots of competition with the league being down and coaches leaving , the door is open for us if we can find the right players
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Right , DH looks @ that contract and says if Rhodes is worth 3.7 M for 7 what am I worth
Contracts being negotiated in high inflationary environment too. Net present value of long term contracts.
Not sure what you mean here but if you were going to look to PV the payments back to today, now's not the best time with interest rates so high. Even if you use the UST rate, it's still sky high and a sky high discount rate lowers that NPV amount.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Not sure what you mean here but if you were going to look to PV the payments back to today, now's not the best time with interest rates so high. Even if you use the UST rate, it's still sky high and a sky high discount rate lowers that NPV amount.
What I'm getting at is that contracts negotiated today are taking into account inflation estimated over the next 7 years from today when the contract is signed.
It's going to be different than a contract negotiated 3 years ago when inflation was below 2%
3 years ago it was thought raising minimum wage to $15 was considered a reach, now $15 seems too low in an article I just read recently. Contacts for Cooley and Rhoades are reflecting increased inflation now and in the future 7 years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Hard to fault Rhoades for taking the PSU job. This is the guaranteed compensation per a report. Starts off at $3.4M in Year 1 and ends at $4M in Year 7.

RF1,
For the Coach's Buyout,
Does the $15 million after year 1 mean that another school would have to pay Penn State that amount in order to sign Rhoades?

Then after year 2 the other school trying to take Rhoades away would have to pay Penn State $12 million?

How does this compare to Millers Contract with URI?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Army basketball has reached a five-year deal to hire Butler assistant Kevin Kuwik as the school's next coach, sources told ESPN.
Kuwik has a long line of strong mentors, as he has worked for Thad Matta, Bob McKillop, Brad Stevens and Archie Miller.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... atform=amp
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That is a good idea, having the home-and-home clause as part of your buyout.

If we had that, we could have got a home and home with Hurley and UConn while he was cleaning up the mess left by the last guy, Ollie, and we still had a decent amt of players he left behind.

Make it so.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU has been doing this Home and Home for a long time if they lose a HC to a major conference

VCU was also very well prepared to lose Mike Rhodes. Had their next HC Candidate already selected and very quickly signed him. Very little recruiting time lost in the transition.

Top notch coaching transition.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Agreed. And that's why they stay at the top. They don't get giddy and lose their minds just because they made the NCAA tournament and their coach left... like we do EVERY time.

They stay calm cool and collected and use their momentum to get the best coach from another team that they can. Lather, Rinse, Repeat, Reload.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We make light of schools becoming turnstiles for the coaching fraternity.

In reality, we WISH we were a turnstile. VCU is a turnstile and lives at the top of the Conference every season.

After every great coach WE have, we hire their assistant to "keep the players". We might as well be a mediocre team in the Patriot league. Even schools like Iona do what VCU does, when we can't seem to figure it out, every 18 years we actually make some noise.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Exactly how we should aim to be. I've always advocated that we mimic programs like Temple (well not lately), Xavier, and now VCU. There's no reason we can't. Just need the will to do it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We did it three times in modern era. Al Skinner, Jerry D and Cox. JD is in his own class.
With Cox hindsight is 20/20.
It worked handing the keys to Skinner.
Making back to back great hires is how you keep the gravy train moving from success. I’m confident if/when Thorr has to do it again he will nail it.

Penders to Al to Harrick was 3 pretty great ones in a row.

Every program is 1 disappointing hire away from obscurity.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The reality at VCU is, they created such a great, consistent program, you most likely have coaches like Ryan Odom calling the AD yearly, saying, "hey, bud, how's it going? If that job ever opens up, I want it. I want to come home"

AD: "ok, if Mikey leaves, it's yours"

NOT: AD: "Oh, noes, I HAVE TO GIVE THE JOB TO MIKE'S TOP ASSISTANT. The players might revolt and leave if I don't. Sorry, Ryan, if the job opens up, you'll have to go to the end of the line like everyone else, I'll surely be at the mercy of college athletes."

I don't remember the PC AD doing that, and they were set to lose everything. Do they care? Nope. Hire the best coach you can, and let him rebuild from the ground up. and the coach they hired was arguably not even the best available, but I respect their decisive decision making process.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We did it three times in modern era. Al Skinner, Jerry D and Cox. JD is in his own class.
Making back to back great hires is how you keep the gravy train moving from success. I’m confident if/when Thorr has to do it again he will nail it.

Exactly BAR, every case is different.

DC was with Hurley since 2014 and played a role in his 2 A10 titles and NCAAT bids.
He paid his dues, and most felt he deserved the opportunity.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Sean Miller did a pretty good job when he was handed the keys at Xavier, first time around.
Also Mark Few.

We keep rehashing this same thing, some need to get over it and move on.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When the lesson is learned. Then we can move on.

Big time programs, go out and seek the best coach they can get. Not someone who "paid their dues" at the advice of the previous coach. <-- Conflict of Interest

I don't believe he "paid his dues". In my opinion, paying your dues means starting in the MAAC like Hurley did. Starting in America East at the minimum. Or coming from a comparable Conference in a different part of the country, like Mad Dog Madsen or Ryan Odom did, or a better program, like Archie Miller did. Paying your dues means having a head coaching resume, period. Not hanging around someone else for 4-5 years, like Cox did.

Cox didn't pay his dues, because Cox took the easy way out, instead of making his bones elsewhere. Making a name for himself, elsewhere. So, can't actually be evaluated. You just have to pray he "works out". because the players might leave. At what? He's going to encourage them to leave if he doesn't get the job? <-- Conflict of Interest

That logic was B.S from the word Go.

I like Hurley, but he should have had Zero say in that hire. You leave, you forfeit your right to an opinion on the matter. End of.

In fact, you not only forfeit your right to an opinion, but your new school is forced to give us a home-and-home. VCU has it right.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago When the lesson is learned. Then we can move on.

Big time programs, go out and seek the best coach they can get. Not someone who "paid their dues" at the advice of the previous coach.

I don't believe he "paid his dues". In my opinion, paying your dues means starting in the MAAC like Hurley did. Starting in America East at the minimum. Or coming from a comparable Conference in a different part of the country, like Mad Dog Madsen or Ryan Odom did, or a better program, like Archie Miller did. Paying your dues means having a head coaching resume, period. Not hanging around someone else for 4-5 years, like Cox did.
Really so you believe no assistants having long resumes, deserve the opportunity.
Didn't realize we were a blue-blood program or P6, even they hire assistants.
Cox was at Pitt, Georgetown, Rutgers, plus interim HC Rutgers, then URI.
He had an excellent national reputation as an assistant and considered a top recruiter.

You had previously mentioned VCU.
Didn't they hire Shaka Smart without any previous HC experience, didn't work out so bad for them?
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Big time programs, go out and seek the best coach they can get. Not someone who "paid their dues" at the advice of the previous coach.
Well hopefully this is something that Thorr and the rest of the people involved have learned from and moving forward this is the plan.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago When the lesson is learned. Then we can move on.

Big time programs, go out and seek the best coach they can get. Not someone who "paid their dues" at the advice of the previous coach. <-- Conflict of Interest

Cox didn't pay his dues, because Cox took the easy way out, instead of making his bones elsewhere. Making a name for himself, elsewhere. So, can't actually be evaluated. You just have to pray he "works out". because the players might leave. At what? He's going to encourage them to leave if he doesn't get the job? <-- Conflict of Interest

That logic was B.S from the word Go.

I like Hurley, but he should have had Zero say in that hire. You leave, you forfeit your right to an opinion on the matter. End of.

In fact, you not only forfeit your right to an opinion, but your new school is forced to give us a home-and-home. VCU has it right.
Xavier was in the A-10 and went from Thad Matta to Sean Miller to Chris Mack, all looking down the bench. That was a pretty decent model. It worked out for them.

I don't know why you keep saying Hurley had a hand in the hire with Dave Cox.

Why do we have to keep having to rehash this? Just because you keep repeating incorrect information a nauseating amount of times doesn't make you magically correct on the issue.

"When the lesson is learned" lmao we just went out and invested more in the program than we ever had and got a big name coach.

I was going write more but this is a dumb argument and you should stop bringing it up. I wish you were as correct on this issue as you are passionate about it, but alas...
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI got what they paid for with Cox, on the cheap.

Not only that, but promises made to Dan that didnt happen, didnt happen under Cox either.

The school didnt feel any urgengy to do any of it, Cox didnt push for them like Hurley did.

And we paid the price.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm referring to the "paid his dues" comment. The specific insinuation was that Hurley felt Cox "paid his dues".

He didn't. First of all, we had no idea what kind of coach Cox was going to be. I think we assumed because he was with Hurley for 4-5 years that he was going to continue his style of play. That did NOT happen.

He was nothing like Hurley. Hurley had those run til you puke practices from day one. All discipline all the time. 24/7/365. That was not Cox's style at all. Cox's style could almost be summed up from those haphazard warmup sessions before the games. Everyone showing up and doing their own thing, like they just met in the parking lot. When Toppin tells the guys at Kentucky all of the ills to that team, there was probably some legs to it. I just didn't like him taking the liberty of telling them that on such a public forum.

You could go on and on. The point is, we wasted 4 years treading water. For no reason. VCU has it right, and that's why they stay on top.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Hard to fault Rhoades for taking the PSU job. This is the guaranteed compensation per a report. Starts off at $3.4M in Year 1 and ends at $4M in Year 7.

RF1,
For the Coach's Buyout,
Does the $15 million after year 1 mean that another school would have to pay Penn State that amount in order to sign Rhoades?

Then after year 2 the other school trying to take Rhoades away would have to pay Penn State $12 million?

How does this compare to Millers Contract with URI?
The PSU buyout amount is massive. I would think very few coaches, if any, in all of college basketball have such high buyouts. The URI-Miller buyout starts at $1M with it decreasing by $200k each season. It is tied to his contract signing anniversary date of 04/15/2022. This buyout is less than the amount in Dan Hurley's last contract with URI as he had to pay $1.25M to walk away.

For further buyout comparison, I have seen speculation that Ed Cooley's PC buyout was likely in the $5M range. His annual compensation was thought to be just below $4M. Since PC is private and keeps info close to the vest, I have not seen any official confirmation of this.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm referring to the "paid his dues" comment. The specific insinuation was that Hurley felt Cox "paid his dues".

He didn't. First of all, we had no idea what kind of coach Cox was going to be. I think we assumed because he was with Hurley for 4-5 years that he was going to continue his style of play. That did NOT happen.

He was nothing like Hurley. Hurley had those run til you puke practices from day one. All discipline all the time. 24/7/365. That was not Cox's style at all. Cox's style could almost be summed up from those haphazard warmup sessions before the games. Everyone showing up and doing their own thing, like they just met in the parking lot. When Toppin tells the guys at Kentucky all of the ills to that team, there was probably some legs to it. I just didn't like him taking the liberty of telling them that on such a public forum.

You could go on and on. The point is, we wasted 4 years treading water. For no reason. VCU has it right, and that's why they stay on top.
NO ONE DID. NO ONE KNOWS HOW A HC IS GOING TO PERFORM UNTIL THEY PERFORM AS AN HC. NO ONE KNOWS HOW AN HC AT A LOWER LEVEL WILL PERFORM AT A HIGHER LEVEL UNTIL THEY PERFORM AT A HIGHER LEVEL.

NOT EVERY COACH IS DAN HURLEY.

The style of play argument? You know how many other successful coaches run a different type of practice/discipline/warmup than Dan?

We took a shot on Cox. If it had worked out - as NUMEROUS examples in college have shown how it can work - URI is an established program.

It didn't work out. Honestly, it may have been for the best in the long term because the stark contrast between Cox and Hurley showed exactly why we need to invest to compete. Now we have Archie Miller, an legitimate group of assistant coaches, and a practice facility.

At this point, it was 5 years, 2 coaches, and 1 URI administration ago. Move on.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We did it three times in modern era. Al Skinner, Jerry D and Cox. JD is in his own class.

We did it with Claude English too, but that was in the olden days. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I will admit, that we got the stuff we needed in the end. We got the practice facility, we got the money for top assistants, we got charter flights, etc. We got Archie in the end. That is huge.

I just dread what is going to take place when Archie get's us back to a pair of NCAA's like Hurley did and possibly leaves and we have to make this decision again. Apparently, jersey is going to be rooting for the Jersey guy, of the NYC guy, or Philly guy, or the D.C. guy, or the Maryland guy, that he keeps tabs on that just happens to be on our staff at the time, because "he paid his dues" and deserves it, and the players are going to leave.

At least we have that going on now. The players are going to leave? In this NEW NCAA, the players are going to leave every year, and whenever they want, and when you least expect it. so players leaving, shouldn't be an issue, to deciding a new coach.

Yeah, Xavier got lucky one time. Great. VCU is in the A-10 currently, and get's lucky every time. It's almost like its not even luck, because they have a plan.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For some reason or another, elevating a URI assistant to the head coaching position has not worked out well in the last five decades. Only one of four such scenarios worked out well. The other three were all fired.

Claude English
Al Skinner (NIT/NCAA)
Jerry Degregorio
David Cox

URI has only once hired an assistant coach from another school in the last 50 odd years - Brendan Malone from Syracuse. He departed on his own accord for an NBA assistant job (NY Knicks) after two losing seasons.

URI has had much better success in hiring men that had already been D1 college head coaches in recent decades. All five of these coaches that were at URI multiple years reached either the NCAA or NIT (or both) with all but Kraft winning postseason games.

Jack Kraft (NCAA/NIT)
Tom Penders (NIT/NCAA)
Jim Harrick (NCAA)
Jim Baron (NIT)
Dan Hurley (NIT/NCAA)
Archie Miller (tbd)

In my view, URI has not had the necessary institutional support in place for an inexperienced coach to succeed. Coaches have more or less been left on their own with a sink or swim philosophy.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm referring to the "paid his dues" comment. The specific insinuation was that Hurley felt Cox "paid his dues".

Some assistants without previous HC do well, some don't.
Same with coaches that had previous HC experience.
We all know DC failed here, move on.

You keep bringing up VCU and as I previously mentioned they hired Shaka without any HC experience, and it worked out for them.

Get over it.