The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Surprised at this
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Oduro to Providence.
No surprise there. He can only drive the bus with our bigs one more time. Good get for the Friars.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Not only hysterical, but true as well.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

This will be interesting. The best “center” in the A-10 will now be going against some much bigger bodies in the Big East. Guessing he will be relatively ordinary in many games
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago This will be interesting. The best “center” in the A-10 will now be going against some much bigger bodies in the Big East. Guessing he will be relatively ordinary in many games
Croswell, from La Salle, was tremendous this season for PC and Odoro is about twice as skilled as him.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Kind of different when the shoe is on the other foot. Friar fans were all upset that Georgetown poached their head coach. They then got further worked up about the prospect that Cooley might possibly take some PC players with him to Georgetown. They however seem to think there is no problem stealing George Mason's coach. For the second time mind you (Rick Barnes came to PC from there). Also have no issue what so ever in taking what may possibly be GMU's two best players to add insult to injury. Friar fans hypocrisy has been on full display this last week.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago This will be interesting. The best “center” in the A-10 will now be going against some much bigger bodies in the Big East. Guessing he will be relatively ordinary in many games
Croswell, from La Salle, was tremendous this season for PC and Odoro is about twice as skilled as him.
Cept one thing that's missing.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Kind of different when the shoe is on the other foot. Friar fans were all upset that Georgetown poached their head coach. They then got further worked up about the prospect that Cooley might possibly take some PC players with him to Georgetown. They however seem to think there is no problem stealing George Mason's coach. For the second time mind you (Rick Barnes came to PC from there). Also have no issue what so ever in taking what may possibly be GMU's two best players to add insult to injury. Friar fans hypocrisy has been on full display this last week.
If you think it's the same, you really don't get it. It's not having a coaches poached that pissed people off. It was:
1) "It wasn't about the money" - PC was ready to nearly match the money
2) "He couldn't win there" - PC has been to 7 out of 9 tournaments (should have been 8 out of 10 w/ COVID year; Gtown made 2).
3) "This is my dream job, I am home." - Speaks for itself
4) Contact was very clearly made during the season
5) A real estate contract to sell his property was signed on 3/3, a day before senior day home game vs Seton Hall
6) It was the first time a coach left to join a conference opponent
Etc., Etc.
Fans were annoyed because they were sold BS. It's obviously within his rights to leave, it was just a crock how it was done.
It's very different than English who is making a significant career jump - conference prestige, facilities, etc.
Everyone knew when Cooley left it's a good chance some guys could leave. Do you expect fans to do cartwheels? Of course no one wants them to leave. We also don't want kids to be here who don't want to be. If they leave, it sucks but we all move on. Same with Cooley.
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

I might be trying to rush it, and I know it’s a long off season. But just give a signing already, first piece needs to fall soon.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Kind of different when the shoe is on the other foot. Friar fans were all upset that Georgetown poached their head coach. They then got further worked up about the prospect that Cooley might possibly take some PC players with him to Georgetown. They however seem to think there is no problem stealing George Mason's coach. For the second time mind you (Rick Barnes came to PC from there). Also have no issue what so ever in taking what may possibly be GMU's two best players to add insult to injury. Friar fans hypocrisy has been on full display this last week.
If you think it's the same, you really don't get it. It's not having a coaches poached that pissed people off. It was:
2) "He couldn't win there" - PC has been to 7 out of 9 tournaments (should have been 8 out of 10 w/ COVID year; Gtown made 2).
5) A real estate contract to sell his property was signed on 3/3, a day before senior day home game vs Seton Hall
Etc., Etc.
Fans were annoyed because they were sold BS. It's obviously within his rights to leave, it was just a crock how it was done.
It's very different than English who is making a significant career jump - conference prestige, facilities, etc.
Everyone knew when Cooley left it's a good chance some guys could leave. Do you expect fans to do cartwheels? Of course no one wants them to leave. We also don't want kids to be here who don't want to be. If they leave, it sucks but we all move on. Same with Cooley.
If anyone is actually upset he went in conference, I’ll quote Jay Bilas’ words towards your AD on College Gameday.

“Shut up, you’re not dating.”

Georgetown has EVERY right to go after whatever coach they think is best, in conference or not.

Your AD and fans sound like the biggest goddamn babies in the works complaining about in conference.

Every other point yes, you can be mad about.

But spare me the “In conference” bullshit.

Also you think your AD didn’t contact English in season when he figured Cooley was gone? Gimme a break.

Mere hours after the news Cooley was gone, it was tweeted out that English was a frontrunner.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15:

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Etc., Etc.
If anyone is actually upset he went in conference, I’ll quote Jay Bilas’ words towards your AD on College Gameday.

Georgetown has EVERY right to go after whatever coach they think is best, in conference or not.

Your AD and fans sound like the biggest goddamn babies in the works complaining about in conference.

I personally could care less about it, although it certainly added insult to injury.

I think Stevie Naps was more upset because he viewed the Gtown AD as a mentor. It's pretty snakey to be friendly and helpful to a peer, only to take their best asset.

That would be like me helping a new advisor answer questions that help with a multi-million dollar client, only to use those questions to go steal the business for myself.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Kim English has added more talent to the PC roster (and before his official press conference) in two days then our coaching staff has in over a year. Painful to say but true. Fernandez is a good player and will make the sophomore jump that most players make. Oduro is a good player as well. Wish we had them both. They would be our two best players. Relating to players is very key in today's basketball world and I have my doubts if Archie is that type of coach. He certainly does not come across that way in my interactions with him. Not one player followed him here, yes he was out of the game for one year. I know shoot me for giving you my opinion on the situation. This roster this past year was pathetic and was painful to watch, yet very few here want to hold him accountable for the roster and blame everything on the prior coach. He is a good x and o's coach but does not matter if he cannot recruit players here. We have had several players on campus already and have not closed the deal on one. Shoot here I go adding to the negativity of this place but this how I feel with the current situation. I hope I am wrong and look back at this next year and say what was I smoking.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Etc., Etc.

I personally could care less about it, although it certainly added insult to injury.

I think Stevie Naps was more upset because he viewed the Gtown AD as a mentor. It's pretty snakey to be friendly and helpful to a peer, only to take their best asset.

That would be like me helping a new advisor answer questions that help with a multi-million dollar client, only to use those questions to go steal the business for myself.
Capitalism is great.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago Kim English has added more talent to the PC roster (and before his official press conference) in two days then our coaching staff has in over a year. Painful to say but true. Fernandez is a good player and will make the sophomore jump that most players make. Oduro is a good player as well. Wish we had them both. They would be our two best players.
Well, now they that they aren't paying Cooley $5 mil a year, that NIL budget has to be Yuge
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Perhaps Friar fans can tell us how GMU fans should feel.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
Kim English has added more talent to the PC roster (and before his official press conference) in two days then our coaching staff has in over a year. Painful to say but true. Fernandez is a good player and will make the sophomore jump that most players make. Oduro is a good player as well. Wish we had them both. They would be our two best players. Relating to players is very key in today's basketball world and I have my doubts if Archie is that type of coach. He certainly does not come across that way in my interactions with him. Not one player followed him here, yes he was out of the game for one year. I know shoot me for giving you my opinion on the situation. This roster this past year was pathetic and was painful to watch, yet very few here want to hold him accountable for the roster and blame everything on the prior coach. He is a good x and o's coach but does not matter if he cannot recruit players here. We have had several players on campus already and have not closed the deal on one. Shoot here I go adding to the negativity of this place but this how I feel with the current situation. I hope I am wrong and look back at this next year and say what was I smoking.
There’s one pretty quick fix for this, and it’s the Collective outbidding other programs. This is college basketballs version of free agency.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Perhaps Friar fans can tell us how GMU fans should feel.
When you have no AD, pay minimal for a head coach and have minimal in the NIL fund, have mediocre facilities, play in an average conference, of course you are going to be ripe for your head coach to leave and players to follow. That has nothing to do with PC fans.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When you say GM paid him minimal…it was his first head coaching job, should he have been paid $2m+/ year? He was basically making $1m for for first gig.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Battle’s crystal ball is now UCF
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyBB91 wrote: 1 year ago Battle’s crystal ball is now UCF
Not great!
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago When you say GM paid him minimal…it was his first head coaching job, should he have been paid $2m?
Of course not. But if you have a coach making $925k a year, it doesn't take much more money to offer a substantial raise. To retain, you need to be aggressive with raises, even if they haven't fully been earned. Did Cooley deserve all his raises at PC? Heck, he's one of the highest paid coaches in CBB now. Does he deserve that with 3 tourney wins? You are worth what people are willing to pay for you, and the lower your salary, the more teams who can get in the mix and offer you more money.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Etc., Etc.

If you compete with conference peers for Presidents, ADs, assistant coaches, support staff AND...get this....PLAYERS. Why the hell would coaches be off limits? The whole our conference friend stole our coach is the lamest narrative out there. It's been pointed out that PC tried unsuccessfully on 2 occasions to poach a school's coach in conference. Pretending like the BE is some collegial fraternity is beyond naive or just looking for an excuse to whine.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What is PC paying 34-29 Kim English? I see it’s for 6 years but no value?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago What is PC paying 34-29 Kim English? I see it’s for 6 years but no value?
I haven't heard a specific figure... I'm guessing somewhere in the $1.5 million-$2 million territory.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

If you compete with conference peers for Presidents, ADs, assistant coaches, support staff AND...get this....PLAYERS. Why the hell would coaches be off limits? The whole our conference friend stole our coach is the lamest narrative out there. It's been pointed out that PC tried unsuccessfully on 2 occasions to poach a school's coach in conference. Pretending like the BE is some collegial fraternity is beyond naive or just looking for an excuse to whine.
Again, I don't disagree with this. I think the knife to people are the motives seem questionable at best. If he was getting some crazy substantial raise and Georgetown was coming off a Final Four, I think the feelings would be much different.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Not many kids can walk to college.
and play in my driveway anytime he wants (until the practice facility is ready)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, we were facing him once a year, now it's just going to be one more time.
gonna have to make him pay and realize he shoulda come to kingston. get it up in the locker room now, Arch, like a most-wanted board.
Tell recruits/everyone, before they even get here, who the enemy db's are that need to be crushed. Set the tone.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
membership has it's privileges
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
With no lights? Better fix that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Etc., Etc.

That all of this is so slimy, yet still allowed....seems to just necessitate it gets even slimier. You can be pissed at G'town, Cooley, English...whoever, but none of them did anything against any rules. If that's all fair competition, maybe the competition parameters need some tweaking. But, kudos to all of them if they get what they want
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Odoro Hopkins and Carter is a solid big 3 , are Hopkins and Carter coming back ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Figured he would go high.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Figured he would go high.
Wow good for him playing for a blue blood !!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Figured he would go high.
Wow good for him playing for a blue blood !!
Good thing he got his education out of the way at Brown first since bb players at UNC do not need to take classes. Smart young man.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote: 1 year ago Odoro Hopkins and Carter is a solid big 3 , are Hopkins and Carter coming back ??
Still unknown. My sources say they love playing in Providence but needed to get to know Coach English better and how they fit in.

The NCAA ruling about transfers needing to sit a second time around may force their hand into staying. Not sure if there is a loophole there to exploit.

If the core stays, it will really kickstart the the English era to have a starting 5 of Pierre-Fernandez/Breed/Floyd-Carter-Hopkins-Oduro.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Color me starting to get concerned about Archie's lack of recruiting results. Like was said, commits are happening and none of them are to us. I know it's still early in the process it just makes we wonder if we will be able to bring in the level of talent needed. We dont need a repeat of last season. It's a hard sell at the moment. Who wants to come to a program for a year or so since we are at rock bottom?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not concerned because he hasn't brought anyone in yet. If he were bring a bunch of people no one else was recruiting, rapid fire, like last year, then I would be very concerned.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Color me starting to get concerned about Archie's lack of recruiting results. Like was said, commits are happening and none of them are to us. I know it's still early in the process it just makes we wonder if we will be able to bring in the level of talent needed. We dont need a repeat of last season. It's a hard sell at the moment. Who wants to come to a program for a year or so since we are at rock bottom?
I am not at the concerned level yet.
If nothing happens in the next 2 weeks and more of our top targets come off the board, then yeah, I will begin to worry.
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

It will be nice if we can land someone soon. Kim English has already received a few, granted they are from the George Mason trail. But still , we have 0 right now with 4 spots open after a rough season. I know it’s early but the sooner we land an impact player from the portal the better off we will be.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We do need to get on that Most Wanted style posting of players that went elsewhere, but should have come here, that Rhody will play...that we need to kindle up some fake hatred for.

Oduro - on the list

Who's next? (Anyone that Rhody might have wanted, that goes to a team Rhody plays next year)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we will end up with more than 4 leaving.

Right now we wouldn't even win 9 games next season with what is left. Not even close to 9.

And the recruiting period in November for the 24-25 season is even more vital.

I would love to know how our NIL collective compares to our peers.

If Archie's hands are tied, we are truly fucked.
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Caleb Love to the portal, wonder if SLU makes contact as he’s a St Louis kid
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Color me starting to get concerned about Archie's lack of recruiting results. Like was said, commits are happening and none of them are to us. I know it's still early in the process it just makes we wonder if we will be able to bring in the level of talent needed. We dont need a repeat of last season. It's a hard sell at the moment. Who wants to come to a program for a year or so since we are at rock bottom?
I am not at the concerned level yet.
If nothing happens in the next 2 weeks and more of our top targets come off the board, then yeah, I will begin to worry.
Same with me , I feel it’s too early to be concerned , I will guess by the end of April most on here will be confident of our roster
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know it’s not exactly the same, but UConn had 7 players at one point on their roster last April, including the two incoming freshmen. Things can move really quickly.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyBB91 wrote: 1 year ago Battle’s crystal ball is now UCF
Not great!
247 had it at 100percent UCF
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I know it’s not exactly the same, but UConn had 7 players at one point on their roster last April, including the two incoming freshmen. Things can move really quickly.
Rhody 2024 Final Four confirmed.
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Do we or him have any interest in Jameer Nelson from Delaware. Shouldn’t he be on our radar?