URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by rhodylaw »

luke wrote: 1 year ago I have to completely disagree with this statement . and I believe it is very unfair to Carey . If you go through the box scores you will find Carey had double digit games in most of the wins and some close losses . Your memory is a bit short . Carey had 18 points twice against Lasalle in a win and an overtime loss . he had many double digit point games that kept games close or led to the few victories they had. There is no reason not to give Carey his due . He certainly impacted many games positively . Jalen did have some ball control issues , but I would say that he was a player who could get his own shot which was rare on the team this season , and overall was a positive force on an offensively challenged team . If he returned for another season I for one would welcome it , though It seems unlikely . It won't be that easy to replace him with a better option .
Completely agree. The problem last year was not Carey, Bassy or Malik individually. All three individually could be a piece on a good team but together they do not move the needle. Carey was the best of that group and I would welcome him back.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Jalen Carey turns 24 in October- at this point, he is what he is, a player who could never really put it together. A player, who has never really impacted any game(that I can recall)
He's never impacted a game? I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but did you actually watch any of the games this year? He had some great games on the offensive end and was a monster on the boards for a guard. Carey had a decent senior year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Jalen Carey turns 24 in October- at this point, he is what he is, a player who could never really put it together. A player, who has never really impacted any game(that I can recall)
People criticize Carey more than they did Jermaine Harris.

What world are we living in?
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
He's never impacted a game? I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but did you actually watch any of the games this year? He had some great games on the offensive end and was a monster on the boards for a guard. Carey had a decent senior year.
Had to do a double take to make sure I didn’t write the first two sentences. Nice work! It’s fun being a little brash isn’t it?!
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was a big Carey fan but still don’t want him back next season
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Carey is one of the players that I do or do not want back depending on who we get to replace him. Most of the team I don’t care if they leave, in fact I would prefer they leave. Carey wasn’t our biggest problem, the biggest problem was that we had such a lack of talent we had to rely on him for more than he is capable of. He would be a great energy guy off the bench on a good team, playing 12-15 min a game.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Had to do a double take to make sure I didn’t write the first two sentences. Nice work! It’s fun being a little brash isn’t it?!
So people can’t have an opinion like you did with Jermaine Harris his whole time here? No one attacked Carey like you did with Jermaine, but quite frankly Carey has been on all losing teams and would take the minutes of another player that could develop an get this team back on track. Carey was a top 50 recruit at Syracuse that didn’t play up to that level. Was he the problem on last year’s team? No, but he isn’t the solution to getting a new group of players in and getting to hopefully the goal of making the tourney. Anyone see Carey as a starter on a tourney team?
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I admit, Carey scared me to death last year whenever he had the ball - and he had the ball a lot out of necessity.
He should have been playing the wing and not running the offense.
If he had been in a role more suited to his skill set, most here would not have a problem with his game.

He can create his own shot and he can rebound well for a guard. We have so many holes, he may be a good bridge player.
No problem if he is back as a 6-7th man playing the wing. If he wants to start at PG, please let it be at another school.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago I have to completely disagree with this statement . and I believe it is very unfair to Carey . If you go through the box scores you will find Carey had double digit games in most of the wins and some close losses . Your memory is a bit short . Carey had 18 points twice against Lasalle in a win and an overtime loss . he had many double digit point games that kept games close or led to the few victories they had. There is no reason not to give Carey his due . He certainly impacted many games positively . Jalen did have some ball control issues , but I would say that he was a player who could get his own shot which was rare on the team this season , and overall was a positive force on an offensively challenged team . If he returned for another season I for one would welcome it , though It seems unlikely . It won't be that easy to replace him with a better option .
I expect we need a couple of grad students on the roster to balance the classes a little bit as well.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago People criticize Carey more than they did Jermaine Harris.

What world are we living in?
No one ever criticized any player on here the way you single handedly, relentlessly ripped Jermaine Harris daily. That is a record you will hold on this site, until the site no longer exists. No one told you or coerced you into doing it either, that was all you. The people on here couldn't have stopped you if they wanted to.

Maybe it seems to you, personally, that the criticism is worse for Carey, but that's merely because there are a lot more people who voice similar observations on Carey. I would say, individually they are mild compared to what you did. Most people on here wish Carey well, he never did live up to the Top 50, 4 star rating, that's not a sin, but Syracuse cut bait with him quickly, we did not. More power to him.

I have nothing against Carey as a person, I just think for this team to move forward, even if they would not win as many games without Carey, Archie needs to transition this team to a team with his own players. I want that to happen with the hopes that he will choose very good players that fit his style, but the other side of that coin is that once he gets his own players, he will be judged fairly on how they perform, succeed, or otherwise.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think a good analogy for Carey, for those old enough to think back and remember, would be the Patriots' Irving Fryar. Number one pick in the draft, some definite flaws, despite being very talented, but the first thing Parcells did when he took over a Dick McPherson 1-15 team was let Fryar go.

You can't create a new culture if you have players who were part of the old culture hanging around indefinitely, and that was the message there with Parcells and Fryar.

If Archie is successful here, at some point in the not too distant future, no part of this team will resemble the team he took over, in any aspect.

The same exact way Tammi's team has nothing in common with the team her predecessor had.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jcru, another analogy could be, Parcells got rid of Fryer, but kept other players from the previous team

Same with Archie, he got rid of Samb but kept Carey From the previous team.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jcru, another analogy could be, Parcells got rid of Fryer, but kept other players from the previous team

Eg. Two things can be true at the same time, change the roster and culture and keep some players from the previous team.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Do we think we’ve seen everybody hit the portal that will potentially hit the portal on the team? Seems like there’s a flurry of activity after year end meetings. Curious to see if we’re done here.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Do we think we’ve seen everybody hit the portal that will potentially hit the portal on the team? Seems like there’s a flurry of activity after year end meetings. Curious to see if we’re done here.
The ones still here are probably waiting to see who we've got coming in and how it affects them, whether it be in a positive (making us much better) or negative (affects their playing time) way.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Jcru, another analogy could be, Parcells got rid of Fryer, but kept other players from the previous team

He kept them both. Just recently, Samb entered the portal after participating all season. Carey is meant to leave because they have been talking about him leaving since last year, and the plans have not seemed to change.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The staff put in a lot of time with the freshmen and haven't given up on them. The plan is to build around them.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago The staff put in a lot of time with the freshmen and haven't given up on them. The plan is to build around them.
How do they feel about Foumena, Iggy?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Definitely has potential to be the best among last year's haul.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Do we think we’ve seen everybody hit the portal that will potentially hit the portal on the team? Seems like there’s a flurry of activity after year end meetings. Curious to see if we’re done here.
I will guess @ least 1 more hits portal
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think fans will be surprised by Foumena's outside shooting.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago I think fans will be surprised by Foumena's outside shooting.

Well OK, is that what we want out of our big men room? Just asking.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago I think fans will be surprised by Foumena's outside shooting.

Yes. Any time. Always.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I watched him shoot in a few of the pre-games this year. Yes, I know that means nothing but he has a pretty nice stroke.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In today's game, yes......along with other things, obviously.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

OK sure, in the global word of todays game, agree. However, I think URI hoops lives in a subset of todays game, where solid post play is a pre-requisite over burping up threes. Just me.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

OK sure, in the global word of todays game, agree. However, I think URI hoops lives in a subset of todays game, where solid post play is a pre-requisite over burping up threes. Just me.
What I want out of our bigs is to defend and rebound. Any offense they can give us is gravy.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago OK sure, in the global word of todays game, agree. However, I think URI hoops lives in a subset of todays game, where solid post play is a pre-requisite over burping up threes. Just me.
I 2nd that emotion.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When we are up 13, and I see our big man go to the top of the key and, most of the time in actual game situations, clunk it, I think "er, ok, I guess that was alright"

When we are down 10 and trying to claw our way back, and I see our big man go to the top of the key and, most of the time in actual game situations, clunk it, I think "ARRRRFGGGHHH!!^@(@#&$^*@^@%@@%!!!!" UCKER"
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Just me again, I have seen enough of our “bigs” taking ill-advised threes as part of the offense. Recent Harris, throw in a Mitchell or two. Is that what Archie’s offense is about?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Just me again, I have seen enough of our “bigs” taking ill-advised threes as part of the offense. Recent Harris, throw in a Mitchell or two. Is that what Archie’s offense is about?
If you think big men taking threes is some crazy new part of the game, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Pretty sure Archie isn’t going to tolerate bad shots, evident this year with the short leash on Freeman.

We had Rory and Bilau taking them this season.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Just me again, I have seen enough of our “bigs” taking ill-advised threes as part of the offense. Recent Harris, throw in a Mitchell or two. Is that what Archie’s offense is about?
If you think big men taking threes is some crazy new part of the game, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Pretty sure Archie isn’t going to tolerate bad shots, evident this year with the short leash on Freeman.

I neva said it was it was some crazy part of the game, but in the neighborhood where we play a more grounded, a more sold post play is needed. If our bigs can play that and shoot threes, those players would not be in our conference.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I neva said it was it was some crazy part of the game, but in the neighborhood where we play a more grounded, a more sold post play is needed. If our bigs can play that and shoot threes, those players would not be in our conference.
Lol Bilau was 50% from three

I just don't get why you would find it concerning to hear that we might he surprised that Foumena can shoot.

There's nothing that says he can't be good at both.

Like Bilau made jump shots when the defense gave him opportunities. The rest of the time he was playing down low.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Pretty sure Archie isn’t going to tolerate bad shots,
Sure seemed to tolerate em more than I would, going 10+ minutes with zero points and no timeouts.
There’s guys who are gonna play at the next level, and then there’s the kinda bigs we need in kingston.
I don’t ever like our bigs chucking up shots from deep, I don’t even really want em leaving the paint to set screens.

But I guess that’s why I pay his salary and not vice versa.

Hopefully the offense improves some over what they did this year.

Not sure how long I keep coming if there aren’t signs of improvement.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The modern game is about space. Nothing creates more space than a big you have to cover out to 15-20 feet. People talk like we have had some long line of back to the basket offensive bigs. We’ve had like 2 in 40 years.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Lol Bilau was 50% from three

I just don't get why you would find it concerning to hear that we might he surprised that Foumena can shoot.

There's nothing that says he can't be good at both.

Like Bilau made jump shots when the defense gave him opportunities. The rest of the time he was playing down low.
OK, I guess we will see. Let’s check in back to this next season at some point.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I hope the first domino falls this week...
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The modern game is about space. Nothing creates more space than a big you have to cover out to 15-20 feet. People talk like we have had some long line of back to the basket offensive bigs. We’ve had like 2 in 40 years.
100% agree with this. For an extreme example, look at what happened with Purdue’s Edey against FDU. They took advantage of him in the pick and roll game. The guy will probably be national player of the year and there's a decent chance he doesn’t get drafted. No room in the modern game for the traditional back to the basket big.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The modern game is about space. Nothing creates more space than a big you have to cover out to 15-20 feet. People talk like we have had some long line of back to the basket offensive bigs. We’ve had like 2 in 40 years.
100% agree with this. For an extreme example, look at what happened with Purdue’s Edey against FDU. They took advantage of him in the pick and roll game. The guy will probably be national player of the year and there's a decent chance he doesn’t get drafted. No room in the modern game for the traditional back to the basket big.

He lead the team in scoring with a double double. He’s the sole reason Purdue was a 1 seed and #1 in the country. They lost because March is magical. You’re telling me Big10 teams couldn’t figure out how to take advantage of Edey but runner up FDU could? Purdues guards were awful in that game. Having a big is vital. I understand they should be versatile these days, but that still includes back to the basket. *Just my opinion
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I trust Arch will run the right offense when he gets his guys , he knows what he’s doing
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hope we see some commitments this week. Need to get moving on roster assembly. Plus with the carousel slowing down we are running out of things to talk about.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think you are right BAR I can see the first domino falling by the end of this week
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago Think you are right BAR I can see the first domino falling by the end of this week

That would be great. Hopefully a player that moves the needle a bit, not a meh move. Someone to get excited about. GoRhody
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it’s going to be that kid from High Point , Mr House
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Our first commit last year was April 16th I think.. Hopefully we get someone before that this time around
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I expect to see a lot more names in the portal in this next week also
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

House and Pride baby.

Be the dominos
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
Pretty sure Archie isn’t going to tolerate bad shots,
Sure seemed to tolerate em more than I would, going 10+ minutes with zero points and no timeouts.
There’s guys who are gonna play at the next level, and then there’s the kinda bigs we need in kingston.
I don’t ever like our bigs chucking up shots from deep, I don’t even really want em leaving the paint to set screens.

But I guess that’s why I pay his salary and not vice versa.

Hopefully the offense improves some over what they did this year.

Not sure how long I keep coming if there aren’t signs of improvement.
So you’ll stick around as long as our big men don’t take any 3s, don’t set any screens, and live in the paint? Are you aware it’s 2023 and not 1980? The game has changed…
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

House, Pride, Battle is an all-name line-up. It’s giving Game of Thrones energy,
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think if you watched the women's side, their big women had a good balance of placement at the top of the key and down low. However, when they hung around the top of the key too long on too many trips down the floor, setting screens and taking shots, their team offensive rebounding was almost non existent. At least against the better quality teams they faced at the end of the season. That's why they have to be able to rotate and do both.