General Visits/transfer recruiting

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: General Visits/transfer recruiting

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe I misjudged the Miller hire then.
Wdym by that? We're not a really attractive team to play for right now.
I agree with blueram , one bad season shouldn’t make us expect low profile transfers…With this coach. He’s here to get 15/8 guys.
Look at who we're competing with for most of these players. It's not gonna be easy. P6 teams approaching them with that NIL $ have the advantage. It's the reality.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I agree with blueram , one bad season shouldn’t make us expect low profile transfers…With this coach. He’s here to get 15/8 guys.
Yes he’s supposed to get the 15/8 guys from the lower conferences not from conferences that are better than the A10, except the teams in the low P6, Archie and his staff are great and all but there’s been ONE transfer who has transferred down to the A10 with those #s who is Toumani Camara and that’s it
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I really don’t mind getting this guy if it means Battle also comes as a package deal.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Has URI ever gotten an already proven 15-8 guy from an equal or better conference to come here? Can’t recall if so.

He’s here to get guys who can grow into 15-8 guys at this level.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

His highlights looked decent , if he’s the first guy we get I won’t be pissed
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago So when are these high powered assistants and Archie going to get us involved with players that will take us to the NCAAT? A 6'8" player who averages 6 pts a game? Cmon man. That's not even funny.
If we recruited the Princeton players from out of hs that just made the Sweet 16 you’d be calling for Archie’s head and wanting him fired Because they weren’t ranked.

Get with reality dude, not every single player we recruit is going to be a 4 star kid with multiple P6 offers or a 10+ ppg scorer from a better conference.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

…one bad season? We’ve been bad for three years.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago So when are these high powered assistants and Archie going to get us involved with players that will take us to the NCAAT? A 6'8" player who averages 6 pts a game? Cmon man. That's not even funny.
If we recruited the Princeton players from out of hs that just made the Sweet 16 you’d be calling for Archie’s head and wanting him fired Because they weren’t ranked.

Get with reality dude, not every single player we recruit is going to be a 4 star kid with multiple P6 offers or a 10+ ppg scorer from a better conference.
I think people think we are Duke sometimes. We need to land a couple of cornerstone players, of course, but we must also fill out this roster with better talent. Last year we had a bad low major roster.. This kid would have been one of our better players..

What's funny is we have people here that don't even want Battle! A kid getting recruited by some of the best programs in the country.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I think people think we are Duke sometimes. We need to land a couple of cornerstone players, of course, but we must also fill out this roster with better talent. Last year we had a bad low major roster.. This kid would have been one of our better players..

What's funny is we have people here that don't even want Battle! A kid getting recruited by some of the best programs in the country.
We all want Battle's talent. We're not sure if we want his baggage and a possible repeat of Bray.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

We all want Battle's talent. We're not sure if we want his baggage and a possible repeat of Bray.
What baggage? From what I've read it seems like he had a problem with the coach that was recently fired. Battle played at Temple for 3 years, Bray couldn't last more than 3 months at URI. Completely different situations.

I'm not ready to write him off because of what a few Temple fans are saying. He would instantly make our program better.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We aren't going to land kids that good without a risk. Not at this stage. We have to take risks like Bray and like Battle. Battle is better than Bray. I want him but he's going high major.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

We aren't going to land kids that good without a risk. Not at this stage. We have to take risks like Bray and like Battle. Battle is better than Bray. I want him but he's going high major.
I wonder if a package deal with his former teammate would make the difference though.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jourdain is also receiving interest from UConn, Memphis and St Johns. This is why we shouldn't write someone off based on their stats.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Jourdain is also receiving interest from UConn, Memphis and St Johns. This is why we shouldn't write someone off based on their stats.

Wow stiff competition for his services
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Jourdain is also receiving interest from UConn, Memphis and St Johns. This is why we shouldn't write someone off based on their stats.

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbuttt he isn’t a top 50 transfer

Ngl surprised at this competition but we’ll see how it pans out, looked more into his stats and averaged 1.5 blocks/game for the past two years would be nice to have
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like this guy.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Miami's starting five scored 26, 20, 13,12 and 11 points yesterday. We have a mountain to climb, not a hill.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Miami's starting five scored 26, 20, 13,12 and 11 points yesterday. We have a mountain to climb, not a hill.
And it costs over 800k per year for just 2 of those guys. Pony up!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Miami's starting five scored 26, 20, 13,12 and 11 points yesterday. We have a mountain to climb, not a hill.
If that is how NCAA Basketball is going, I can see URI folding up shop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

lol 800K
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Lol that is NOT how it's going

Not even close
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Made a separate thread for this kid but he visited today
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

“Folding up shop”

You are the gift that keep on giving with these posts.

A HUGE booster, John Ruiz, gave 800K and a car to Nigel Pack, transfer from K St. Also had to give more money to Wong to prevent him from leaving.

Ruiz also made major deals (recently just got in trouble for it) with the Cavinder twins on the women’s team.
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year agolol 800K
Pack gets $400k for 2 years and Wong was happy to go portaling if he didn't get at least the same deal. He's still in Miami so everyone here can put that 2 and 2 together. So those two alone are at least $800k/year
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

“Folding up shop”

You are the gift that keep on giving with these posts.

A HUGE booster, John Ruiz, gave 800K and a car to Nigel Pack, transfer from K St. Also had to give more money to Wong to prevent him from leaving.

Ruiz also made major deals (recently just got in trouble for it) with the Cavinder twins on the women’s team.
And that was the point I was trying to convey, so thank you. Miami was a terrible comparison to make when trying to say the recruiting is all on the coach. Literally Miami's two best players aren't there because of Larranega - they're there because of Ruiz. If we're going to compare ourselves to the Miamis of the sport, then we need booster support.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's an arms race for the best talent no matter what anyone says.

We cannot compete at that level. Fact.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

A few years back we were discussing APR; it's importance and effect on post season eligibility. Fast forward to the present - NIL/portal/transfers.

Can someone share how all of this impacts the APR, or if APR is even important/a thing anymore? Thanks.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago It's an arms race for the best talent no matter what anyone says.

We cannot compete at that level. Fact.
We don’t need to.

Do Princeton, SDSU, FAU, FDU, Furman compete with 800K NIL deals?
Go Rhody
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Nice day for a visit 🤞
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Those who say NIL is not important and point to examples, may be proven right, but I think most of those examples are things just aligning right for this period in time for these teams. Let’s see who has more sustained success those paying big NIL or these teams that are are having a moment. Time will tell.

NIL offers teams that are not traditional powers an opportunity to put money directly to work and buy a team and change their standing in the college basketball power structure. We are wasting an opportunity if we do not use it to our benefit.

It takes money to make money.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Nice day for a visit 🤞
Who is here today?
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Nice day for a visit 🤞
Who is here today?
Just hoping
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Those who say NIL is not important and point to examples, may be proven right, but I think most of those examples are things just aligning right for this period in time for these teams. Let’s see who has more sustained success those paying big NIL or these teams that are are having a moment. Time will tell.

NIL offers teams that are not traditional powers an opportunity to put money directly to work and buy a team and change their standing in the college basketball power structure. We are wasting an opportunity if we do not use it to our benefit.

It takes money to make money.
The teams paying big NIL are pretty much the teams that have always sustained success and the rest will make do with less.

We have an NIL collective and we offer players deals. We just won't be slinging around crazy money ever, kinda like we have never had crazy resources, sustained success and will have to make do with less than traditional powers just like it's always been.

If we didn't have an NIL collective already then I'd be worried, but we have one and it will only get better with more success on the court and more fans need to start pitching in!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sounds sensible. I imagine for URI some of the deals might be initiated but some of them might be reactive.

For instance, if someone is coming after one of Tammi’s players, I suppose depending on the player, and what kind of NIL is offered, URI would make every effort to counter the offer, based on how much value Tammi has on the player, unless it is just too astronomical and cannot be matched
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I understand that, and I assume we all understand what I’m saying. If this Rhody collective was interested in elevating the team above its peers they could do it. We can be satisfied with where we are in the ecosystem or put money into improving. Right now seems like a good time to put in game changing money when we have a team with literally not one starting A10 caliber player on the roster. Or they can wait and decide to get behind it years from now after the hardest part is done.

Help Archie now or wait and see…
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I understand that, and I assume we all understand what I’m saying. If this Rhody collective was interested in elevating the team above its peers they could do it. We can be satisfied with where we are in the ecosystem or put money into improving. Right now seems like a good time to put in game changing money when we have a team with literally not one starting A10 caliber player on the roster. Or they can wait and decide to get behind it years from now after the hardest part is done.

Help Archie now or wait and see…
That’s prob a lot easier to say when it’s not your money tho, right?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I also said that before, easy for me to say when it’s not my money. But it’s the truth. Their money will have the most impact now, as far as getting us competitive sooner rather than later.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago A few years back we were discussing APR; it's importance and effect on post season eligibility. Fast forward to the present - NIL/portal/transfers.

Can someone share how all of this impacts the APR, or if APR is even important/a thing anymore? Thanks.
It is, but the news has been mostly positive on that front, so its receded from the headlines. One unintended consequence of a much more open transfer market - It incentivizes players to stay eligible for whatever their next stop might be. Plus in the past, I imagine it was easier to get in an academic funk if you felt "stuck" at a certain school. At least through 2022, the graduation rate was 90 percent for D-I athletes. Over the past 20 years, the graduation rate for Black men's basketball players has improved from 46 percent to 81 percent. (There are other breakdowns available on the NCAA's data website.)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Since I realize we've picked up quite a few new posters in the ensuing years, you can read the original "Pat Riley" post here.
I always thought it was a play off the Patriots meme from the time someone thought they saw Richard Sherman at Logan?
Not Sherman, Larry Fitzgerald
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Since I realize we've picked up quite a few new posters in the ensuing years, you can read the original "Pat Riley" post here.
I always thought it was a play off the Patriots meme from the time someone thought they saw Richard Sherman at Logan?
Not Sherman, Larry Fitzgerald
Sorry, knew it was one of them.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Charles Pride coming Wednesday.

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Gimme gimme
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm convinced the big time programs are spooked. After what they saw Cooley do with PC, and then what Dan did with UConn, they probably are wrapping their collective heads around how a bunch of transfers can close the gap on them so quickly after they had their pick of the litter for freshman blue chip players since forever.

Someone like Pride probably wouldn't have gotten a sniff from any of those schools 4 or even 3 years ago, but now all of those programs are studying the transfer landscape with unparalleled interest. And these players are taking advantage of the best offer they can get, more power to them.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The thing is, he comes here, his mpg and his role are no different than they were at Bryant.

If he goes to one of those other programs, can they say the same? Or is he wasted at the end of the bench on a team just looking to fill the rest of their roster with competitive players? Is he just a spot player that comes in at discrete intervals during the game? That's probably a sticking point that Archie can offer to Pride and other players that he is after.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the Miller brothers in a battle for the same player here.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The thing is, he comes here, his mpg and his role are no different than they were at Bryant.

If he goes to one of those other programs, can they say the same? Or is he wasted at the end of the bench on a team just looking to fill the rest of their roster with competitive players? Is he just a spot player that comes in at discrete intervals during the game? That's probably a sticking point that Archie can offer to Pride and other players that he is after.
Transfers want more than just minutes. They want to play for an NCAA Tournament team.
That URI has so many minutes available is a two-sided coin.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We need to sell someone on building a winner from scratch like Dan did with EC and Hassan.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some nice schools on his list
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago The thing is, he comes here, his mpg and his role are no different than they were at Bryant.

Transfers want more than just minutes. They want to play for an NCAA Tournament team.
I think they ideally want both. Its more interesting if they have to choose between the two, which some of these transfers absolutely will have to. There's also more variance and uncertainty than ever in college basketball - Look at this year's Final Four teams. Hell, last year's championship game featured a 9 seed, but people didn't bat an eye as much because it was UNC. They returned a good portion of their roster and missed the tournament.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago

Exactly. He’s scored plenty in his career, he doesn’t need to prove that anymore at a mid major level.

This is why momentum is more important than ever. Show transfers the light at the end of the tunnel