URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Doesn’t matter. He shouldn’t be talking shit about his old team like this, especially indirectly calling out players.
Why? There was a problem. It was resolved with the hiring of Archie Miller.
How has this been resolved? Last year was a train wreck. There was no improvement or player development. Why don’t we see what happens this year.
Ish didn’t improve?
Rory didn’t improve ?
Alex didn’t improve ?
Weston didn't improve?
Bassy didn’t improve?

Archie didn’t allow guys like Bray do whatever they hell they wanted like Cox did with Fatts and the twins. Last year sucked but Archie was a much better coach on the sidelines and he won’t allow any player to be above the team. The question is can he bring in the talent to win. The recruiting class was incredibly weak.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Why? There was a problem. It was resolved with the hiring of Archie Miller.
How has this been resolved? Last year was a train wreck. There was no improvement or player development. Why don’t we see what happens this year.
Ish didn’t improve?
Rory didn’t improve ?
Alex didn’t improve ?
Weston didn't improve?
Bassy didn’t improve?

Archie didn’t allow guys like Bray do whatever they hell they wanted like Cox did with Fatts and the twins. Last year sucked but Archie was a much better coach on the sidelines and he won’t allow any player to be above the team. The question is can he bring in the talent to win. The recruiting class was incredibly weak.
100% on this.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Not exactly transfer related , but check out what Jacob Toppin said about URI :shock:

That’s really disingenuous for the ig post to name Cyril and Jeff when Toppin didn’t. We watched those seasons, there were absolutely issues. Whether he should have said it or not, Toppin isn’t and wasn’t the problem.
Agree bogus to put Cyril and JD on that IG post just awful
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Not exactly transfer related , but check out what Jacob Toppin said about URI :shock:

That’s really disingenuous for the ig post to name Cyril and Jeff when Toppin didn’t. We watched those seasons, there were absolutely issues. Whether he should have said it or not, Toppin isn’t and wasn’t the problem.
Which players do you think he was referring to that "didn't really care about basketball"?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Which players do you think he was referring to that "didn't really care about basketball"?
My first thought was he probably meant Jermaine harris.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

lol, and I would agree with that. He sucked!! Poor effort too.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Did they not care about basketball while they were on that 10 game win streak though?
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Have no idea why people spend so much time worrying about what Jacob Toppin said about his Rhode Island experience on a KENTUCKY broadcast. This clip had no business being posted by anybody, but of course someone figured they will get their five minutes of fame by fanning the flames by posting it and then intentionally misleading what was said mentioning by name two of the hardest working guys on that team as not caring about basketball. Fiction. Jacob never said that. Social media sucks in so many ways and this is just one of the thousands reasons why. I found nothing he said to be shocking, or worth posting about in any way, shape or form. That is Jacob's opinion and he is certainly entitled to it. That was four years ago. Move on people.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago Have no idea why people spend so much time worrying about what Jacob Toppin said about his Rhode Island experience on a KENTUCKY broadcast. This clip had no business being posted by anybody, but of course someone figured they will get their five minutes of fame by fanning the flames by posting it and then intentionally misleading what was said mentioning by name two of the hardest working guys on that team as not caring about basketball. Fiction. Jacob never said that. Social media sucks in so many ways and this is just one of the thousands reasons why. I found nothing he said to be shocking, or worth posting about in any way, shape or form. That is Jacob's opinion and he is certainly entitled to it. That was four years ago. Move on people.
Btw I am not RunninRhody. I just posted it here to get opinions.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago Have no idea why people spend so much time worrying about what Jacob Toppin said about his Rhode Island experience on a KENTUCKY broadcast. This clip had no business being posted by anybody, but of course someone figured they will get their five minutes of fame by fanning the flames by posting it and then intentionally misleading what was said mentioning by name two of the hardest working guys on that team as not caring about basketball. Fiction. Jacob never said that. Social media sucks in so many ways and this is just one of the thousands reasons why. I found nothing he said to be shocking, or worth posting about in any way, shape or form. That is Jacob's opinion and he is certainly entitled to it. That was four years ago. Move on people.
Nothing wrong with posting that or Jacob Toppin saying that.

About time we heard something juicy about the Cox days. Its normal to eventually hear about stuff like that.

Now why that guy was offended by what Jacob said makes no sense and I don't think anyone is blindly believing he was referring to Cyril or Jeff Dowtin.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Why is this even on this thread? This is about 2023 Transfers, not people who transferred years ago and want to talk smack about Cox, et al...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Why is this even on this thread? This is about 2023 Transfers, not people who transferred years ago and want to talk smack about Cox, et al...
Maybe it belongs on the former players thread?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Why is this even on this thread? This is about 2023 Transfers, not people who transferred years ago and want to talk smack about Cox, et al...
Sorry, I honestly didn’t know where to put it. Didn’t wanna create a new thread for it as well.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Btw I am not RunninRhody. I just posted it here to get opinions.
Don’t sweat it, 916.

Interesting comments, none the less, into DC’s coaching term, perhaps.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If Jacob thinks that Dowtin didn’t care about basketball, then Toppin should eliminate any coaching interest for his post playing days career!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago If Jacob thinks that Dowtin didn’t care about basketball, then Toppin should eliminate any coaching interest for his post playing days career!
Watch the video. Toppin never said that, he did not mention the name of any player. The poster editorialized.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jacob wasn't known for being the brightest bulb when he was here, I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously the players cared. Maybe Tyrese didn't, and that's who he hung out with the most? Not surprisingly, both bolted at the same time? They both had their eyes on what they considered to be greener pastures?

The players here, who stayed here, obviously cared. The coaching staff was sloppy, but I'm sure it wasn't Cox's desire to get fired either. He was just being him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That comment is an indictment on the previous staff, not any of the players. The winning culture went away so quickly from what Dan built it just shows you that in cbb there are no programs. There are great coaches that become a program. And when they leave a lot of that leaves with them.
PC is about to understand that first hand.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's always been the case at URI.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s everywhere tho. You are old enough to remember when UNC made a bad hire and then they stunk. Programs don’t win games; coaches and players do. Great programs make good hires and keep it going but every one is 1 bad hire away from oblivion.

Jay Wright leaves and Nova is an NIT team from perennial blue blood. Neptune may get them back but the Nova program wasn’t a program without Jay. CBB is all about the coach.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Facts. And Jermaine harris was never seen again on the court after leaving URI.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Jacob wasn't known for being the brightest bulb when he was here, I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously the players cared. Maybe Tyrese didn't, and that's who he hung out with the most? Not surprisingly, both bolted at the same time? They both had their eyes on what they considered to be greener pastures?

The players here, who stayed here, obviously cared. The coaching staff was sloppy, but I'm sure it wasn't Cox's desire to get fired either. He was just being him.
I spoke with Jacob for awhile at an event. I thought he was a very nice kid, very respectful. Not sure where you are getting your info from. But, whatever.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No way man! Everyone here said Harris was good Because he tried hard and won a lot of jump balls to start the game!
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

No way man! Everyone here said Harris was good Because he tried hard and won a lot of jump balls to start the game!
Lmao remember the groans from the arena every time he'd begin shooting a 3? Hilarious. Where did this guy go? He went to New Mexico St and just disappeared.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Let’s be clear. Maybe 1 person said that. Most said nothing bc even if they agreed with your assessment they didn’t think trashing one of our guys online was a great look.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Let’s be clear. Maybe 1 person said that. Most said nothing bc even if they agreed with your assessment they didn’t think trashing one of our guys online was a great look.
Oh no no no, I wouldn’t have trashed him as much as I did if only one person defended him.

There were MULTIPLE people who said he was decent because he tried hard.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Oh no no no, I wouldn’t have trashed him as much as I did if only one person defended him.

Maybe peruse this thread and think again. You will be surprised.

viewtopic.php?t=8139
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

viewtopic.php?t=8139
I never wanna read that thread again.

It also just wasn’t that thread, the majority of games threads had people saying he was doing well.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I spoke with Jacob for awhile at an event. I thought he was a very nice kid, very respectful. Not sure where you are getting your info from. But, whatever.
Oh, I don't know.

Comments he made back then. Comments he's making right now. You know. Spilling his beans for the benefit of his new pals. Not too bright.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sorry, I honestly didn’t know where to put it. Didn’t wanna create a new thread for it as well.
The Ant thread, maybe?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

viewtopic.php?t=8139
I never wanna read that thread again.

It also just wasn’t that thread, the majority of games threads had people saying he was doing well.
No it wasn’t. It was a couple people with Keaney colored glasses on trying to spin positive, you crapping all over him and the overwhelming majority of people being quiet about him bc they don’t want to trash Rhody players on their own fan board. That’s the accurate synopsis.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

The Ant thread, maybe?
LOL, good idea.
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

So what does all this have to do with URI transfers for 2023. Take is somewhere else.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago So what does all this have to do with URI transfers for 2023. Take is somewhere else.
I'm done talking about it, but any new Toppin talk goes into the Ant Harris thread :lol:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
This is spot on. Archie has a contract that allows him to be a great coach without looking over his shoulder and being concerned with termination without cause. The contract also provides for an easy exit should URI not treat him well. He's our coach for 5 years unless he decides otherwise.
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago If Jacob thinks that Dowtin didn’t care about basketball, then Toppin should eliminate any coaching interest for his post playing days career!
Watch the video. Toppin never said that, he did not mention the name of any player. The poster editorialized.
Ok. Taken in by another journalistic fake news. Who has the time to do the research on every incorrect “fact”. Sign of the times. Ugh!!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Back to our transfer recruiting. Are we at 3 transfer openings if Casey stays? If so, there is not a lot of room for error considering we need 2 guards and a big with “starter” quality. Kinda wished that Hutchinson entered to give us a little more flexibility.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Back to our transfer recruiting. Are we at 3 transfer openings if Casey stays? If so, there is not a lot of room for error considering we need 2 guards and a big with “starter” quality. Kinda wished that Hutchinson entered to give us a little more flexibility.
Still plenty of time left for kids to enter.
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Back to our transfer recruiting. Are we at 3 transfer openings if Casey stays? If so, there is not a lot of room for error considering we need 2 guards and a big with “starter” quality. Kinda wished that Hutchinson entered to give us a little more flexibility.
No 4

And if you think Archie is giving anyone the “you’ll definitely start next year” for any1 your wrong
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
No 4

And if you think Archie is giving anyone the “you’ll definitely start next year” for any1 your wrong
Dino agree w u, confident Archie would never make any firm promises- only I’ll play the “best players.

Do we have one open scholly now?
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
No 4

Dino agree w u, confident Archie would never make any firm promises- only I’ll play the “best players.

Do we have one open scholly now?
Wdym?

We have 4, but in reality 5
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So, you're saying there's a chance?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Carey staying would be awful. This would stunt the growth of younger players or transfers brought in as Carey would take away playing time .
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He's not staying from what I'm told.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Carey staying would be awful. This would stunt the growth of younger players or transfers brought in as Carey would take away playing time .
What I'm hearing is, "valuable, highly skilled, mature elder statesman type, on a roster laden with very talented, but younger transfers", right? :D
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

What I'm hearing is, "valuable, highly skilled, mature elder statesman type, on a roster laden with very talented, but younger transfers", right? :D
Sounds like a prospect narrative from my new portalpalooza speed recruiting dating app.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Yup. Where is the roster with talent that you are talking about and the valuable, mature, elder statesman type? I thought we were talking about Carey. Lol
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah time to move on from Jalen he was very athletic but need to move on
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Jalen Carey turns 24 in October- at this point, he is what he is, a player who could never really put it together. A player, who has never really impacted any game(that I can recall)
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I have to completely disagree with this statement . and I believe it is very unfair to Carey . If you go through the box scores you will find Carey had double digit games in most of the wins and some close losses . Your memory is a bit short . Carey had 18 points twice against Lasalle in a win and an overtime loss . he had many double digit point games that kept games close or led to the few victories they had. There is no reason not to give Carey his due . He certainly impacted many games positively . Jalen did have some ball control issues , but I would say that he was a player who could get his own shot which was rare on the team this season , and overall was a positive force on an offensively challenged team . If he returned for another season I for one would welcome it , though It seems unlikely . It won't be that easy to replace him with a better option .