2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago With change comes opportunity, our big donors should see this as an opportunity to invest and separate us from our peers, not just keep us in line with them. Dan was able to land several BE recruits and for us to now do that will mean NIL. Do we want to still recruit and land BE talent? Then BE NIL for at least for a few players may be what it takes. If our big donors put together a 5 and 10 year plan/commitment to out spend our direct competitors then we can establish ourselves and then more money and interest will follow. Obviously easy for me to spend other people’s money, but here is a chance to think and do big.
I firmly agree with this take. We have to be at or higher spending levels than our competition in order to compete going forward, especially when it comes to attracting talent to a currently losing program. We just can't wish to be better...whatever it takes.

It is a far easier task to raise money with a winning program. URI men's basketball is currently in a very low state coming off three straight losing seasons with the last being the worst. That is typically not a good situation for soliciting more from donors and sponsors.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago With change comes opportunity, our big donors should see this as an opportunity to invest and separate us from our peers, not just keep us in line with them. Dan was able to land several BE recruits and for us to now do that will mean NIL. Do we want to still recruit and land BE talent? Then BE NIL for at least for a few players may be what it takes. If our big donors put together a 5 and 10 year plan/commitment to out spend our direct competitors then we can establish ourselves and then more money and interest will follow. Obviously easy for me to spend other people’s money, but here is a chance to think and do big.
I firmly agree with this take. We have to be at or higher spending levels than our competition in order to compete going forward, especially when it comes to attracting talent to a currently losing program. We just can't wish to be better...whatever it takes.
In the meantime....can't be finishing 14th in a conference that ends with 10. Not good to finish in a lower place than your conference name...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago @curryhickssage

One Providence source telling me this morning that Ed will be in DC today to check out the program’s infrastructure and get a more up close sense of the situation he’d be inheriting
Ok , I feel better if he goes to check it out , the posts last nights seemed to indicate he was staying @ PC
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
In the meantime....can't be finishing 14th in a conference that ends with 10. Not good to finish in a lower place than your conference name...
It's better than finishing 15th ;)
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

It's better than finishing 15th ;)
Are we currently out of the conference because we finished outside of 10. :D

Maybe that’s what Archie meant by “ We will be good when we are good”? After we are booted from the A10.

I know…I am just being facetious.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

All the teams from every conference that finish below the number in their conference name...shall be relegated. Not sure what you do after that...
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That’s why the BE is so smart. No number in their name. Or, could be dumb…I am not sure now. I can’t figure out the conf number thingy. Ooph
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Imagine paying your coach $4M a year+ and he loses in the first round and wants to leave? Yikes.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

He’s like a tick sucking more and more blood out of their athletics budget. But, he is there largest revenue generator as well.

Still, ticks get annoying after awhile when they become noticeable and then the host is happy when they are gone.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jim Donaldson
@JimDonaldsonJr
Replying to
@NYCSightsSounds
Should be soon. Not fair to either program to keep 'em waiting. Wouldn't be surprised if he left. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed, which I think he should. Where else can you get past the 1st round of #NCAATournament just twice in 12 years and still be adored and revered?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Update on wpri tv tonight at 10:30pm with Morey
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jim Donaldson
@JimDonaldsonJr
Replying to
@NYCSightsSounds
Should be soon. Not fair to either program to keep 'em waiting. Wouldn't be surprised if he left. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed, which I think he should. Where else can you get past the 1st round of #NCAATournament just twice in 12 years and still be adored and revered?
OUCH! Donaldson is a pr*ck, but damn, that's the truth.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hmmmm

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Cooley thing is getting awkward now. I’ve never seen the media and everyone who follows, almost fully aware of every move between a coach and possibly job opportunities.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Hmmmm

He's gone.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Hmmmm

He's gone.
Still not sure. But the bread crumbs have been meticulously placed for it if you were paying attention.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If you asked me a month ago, I’d say zero percent chance Cooley leaves. Now I’m at least 51% that he leaves.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

"where you were at and where you want to go" He's gone.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That might have been his last best shot at PC, and they lost their last 4.

When a coach reaches that point, it could be time to bolt.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago @curryhickssage

One Providence source telling me this morning that Ed will be in DC today to check out the program’s infrastructure and get a more up close sense of the situation he’d be inheriting
Which is true?

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed with KMac, it’s so public it’s weird lol.
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PC Nation holds breath
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He is such an egomaniac.

Either leave or say you’re staying.

These quotes are just pissing off everybody.

Just shut the hell up for once in your life Ed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I, too, didn’t think he’d leave. But that sounds like he’s gone.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago I, too, didn’t think he’d leave. But that sounds like he’s gone.
Or sucking a few more dollars out of PC.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

At this point, even if he returns…it’s awkward.
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I hope he stays

He’s sooooo overated

USC
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
RICHMOND

25 years in the making

Bahahahahaha
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago I, too, didn’t think he’d leave. But that sounds like he’s gone.
Or sucking a few more dollars out of PC.
Well they spent $36M at least over 12 years for a Sweet 16. What's a few more million?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Overated
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nate Watson's dad was so positive Cooley was staying at PC

But then his tweet magically deleted

93E413E4-0ED3-467B-BD5A-77B6EF1CC901.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It was hard to rectify and walk back some of the things he said and did starting more than a week ago. This is just piling on. Get ready to see a real ugly side of Friartown if this happens. It’s a life decision won’t cut it with that crew. Or some here who were so convinced this was an easy choice to make.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Stay ed stay !

It’s so fun seeing you fail and every ncaa tourney after being told you walk on water
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I want cfl to stay. They may get someone good
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I must say I was wrong that Cooley was staying. I now believe that there is a strong chance he leaves.
it is not about the money or that it is Georgetown. I think he wants a change of scenery!!!!!!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This whole revisionist history on Cooley at PC by URI fans is just odd. Dude has made the tournament in 7 of the last 9 years a tourney was held. Sure, he hasn’t had that magical run, but, the more cracks you have at that magical run, the more likely it is to occur.

Have people seen the head coaches in the Big East? It’s loaded. It’s going to be hard for PC to find the next Cooley and much more likely they land the next Keno or Tim Welsh.

URI fans would kill for 7 tournament runs in 9 years and we have the gall to refer to Cooley as CFL, sheesh.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Nate Watson's dad was so positive Cooley was staying at PC

But then his tweet magically deleted

93E413E4-0ED3-467B-BD5A-77B6EF1CC901.png
Nate's dad's tweet still there. He even doubled down by saying "I can't wait to say I told you so."

Nate's tweet is gone, though.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If he did decide to stay whats that press conference like? It would be fascinating to hear him try to walk it back and explain his actions and the team tanking.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Stay ed stay !

It’s so fun seeing you fail and every ncaa tourney after being told you walk on water
Question.

Would you rather have Rhody’s last 12 years or PCs?

It’s PCs, and it’s not close.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 year ago This whole revisionist history on Cooley at PC by URI fans is just odd. Dude has made the tournament in 7 of the last 9 years a tourney was held. Sure, he hasn’t had that magical run, but, the more cracks you have at that magical run, the more likely it is to occur.

Have people seen the head coaches in the Big East? It’s loaded. It’s going to be hard for PC to find the next Cooley and much more likely they land the next Keno or Tim Welsh.

URI fans would kill for 7 tournament runs in 9 years and we have the gall to refer to Cooley as CFL, sheesh.
If you think URI fans are tough go visit the 247Friars message board. You want to see ugly.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hope he leaves , the person who they hire won’t be as good a coach most likely
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 1 year ago This whole revisionist history on Cooley at PC by URI fans is just odd. Dude has made the tournament in 7 of the last 9 years a tourney was held. Sure, he hasn’t had that magical run, but, the more cracks you have at that magical run, the more likely it is to occur.

If you think URI fans are tough go visit the 247Friars message board. You want to see ugly.
Oh for sure, I don’t read that board, but I’m not surprised. With success brings higher expectations. John Henry was booed by Red Sox fans at Winter Weekend this year despite delivering a championship in the last five years and consistently fielding a top payroll. Most MLB fan bases would kill for a championship in the last five years and a consistent top five payroll.

As Jerry Reinsdorf said “Here’s my best advice to you: Finish in second place every single year,” Samson claims Reinsdorf told him. “Because your fans will say, ‘Wow, we’ve got a shot. We’re in it.’ But there’s always the carrot left. There’s always one more step to take.”

Fans become more irrational as success increases, but I’ll live with that side effect over a Reinsdorf line of thinking any day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredwylly ... roach/amp/
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They over 100 pages yet ??
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Me being one of the folks saying he’s their cfl, you are absolutely right! I would have loved for Rhody to have been in 7 of the last 9 tournaments.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Agreed with KMac, it’s so public it’s weird lol.
I think Big Ed might like the attention. But then, how the heck would I know. I don’t know the guy personally.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Agreed with KMac, it’s so public it’s weird lol.
I think Big Ed might like the attention. But then, how the heck would I know. I don’t know the guy personally.
He absolutely loves this attention.

He’s an egomaniac, loves to hear himself talk and be talked about.

Since when has a coach done a news interview (on Fox as I type) talking about the new job he might take? Who the hell does that? I can’t remember something like this being so public.

Do it behind closed doors.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If you think he’s such an egomaniac why did you think hometown loyalty would shut him out of any job? Those are at odds with each other.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The carousel could really start swinging tomorrow

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

After watching this interview he is 100% gone.

Seemed to give Morey one last courtesy interview before he bails.

Every word of that was him saying goodbye without actually saying goodbye.
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

God I hope they don’t get Pitino