2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Sounds like we should know something by Monday ??
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I do hope I am wrong and he leaves, just because I cannot stand the guy and wouldn’t have to see him all on my Twitter, projo, the news, etc.

Outta sight outta mind.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
So a big part of it IS him not wanting to be disliked in PVD.

Coulda swore you said Cooley couldn’t care less about being disliked from people like Joe in North Providence …
Leaking that at this point was perfectly done. Like landing a wedge from a hundred yards right next to the cup at the 18th green of the Switching Schools Open. I mean, if anything leaks out...it has to be that, right? (I don't really think it's a factor - he has to say that. We may never really know and I'm fine with that. Regardless...big pay day coming up for Ed and I'm fine with that, too. Good for you, Ed!)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Sounds like we should know something by Monday ??
I think this thing gets sorted in next 24 hours and there is a presser set for Monday at either PC or Gtown. So much noise.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Coulda swore you said Cooley couldn’t care less about being disliked from people like Joe in North Providence …
Leaking that at this point was perfectly done. Like landing a wedge from a hundred yards right next to the cup at the 18th green of the Switching Schools Open. I mean, if anything leaks out...it has to be that, right? (I don't really think it's a factor - he has to say that. We may never really know and I'm fine with that. Regardless...big pay day coming up for Ed and I'm fine with that, too. Good for you, Ed!)
It’s also just Goodman projecting what he thinks Ed is feeling.
We have no idea what he is weighing on either side. Of course his legacy matters to him. PC had been quiet so now they can get their position known and put out their own messaging. It’s all a game.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hearing the biggest issue is NIL $. Georgetown has way more resources. Cooley is frustrated he's losing recruiting battles because of it.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Hearing the biggest issue is NIL $. Georgetown has way more resources. Cooley is frustrated he's losing recruiting battles because of it.
Which is odd, because don’t they have a couple big time recruits coming in next season? And another one the following year?
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Have heard same. That PC wasn’t aggressive in that space and he feels at a disadvantage. Also that Nike (who has a big deal with Georgetown) is behind the NIL opportunity they are dangling at him to induce the move.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It’s also just Goodman projecting what he thinks Ed is feeling.
We have no idea what he is weighing on either side. Of course his legacy matters to him. PC had been quiet so now they can get their position known and put out their own messaging. It’s all a game.
Mmmmm....I think it's actually more like a golf match... Easy Ed is closest to the pin. PC and Gtown haven't hit their second shots yet.
Cools is up there next to the green, smiling, waiting. Either way, he figures to cash, er, tap in for the win.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ed wants to stay at PC. Will the diocese include an envelop for NIL money?
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Ed wants to stay at PC. Will the diocese include an envelop for NIL money?
It will take a lot more nildo (I'm tm'ing that) to get the same player to choose peecee over DC. If they get a real coach at Gtown....chout.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Hearing the biggest issue is NIL $. Georgetown has way more resources. Cooley is frustrated he's losing recruiting battles because of it.
Really because there are several on this board that feel the NIL factor is strongly overexaggerated.

I still feel that Cooley isn't going anywhere, will be shocked if he leaves for Georgetown.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Am hearing the winds could be blowing back towards him staying.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Now NIL has to do with recruiting coaches too. Hmm, but people keep telling us we are making more of it than it really is.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Am hearing the winds could be blowing back towards him staying.
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Really because there are several on this board that feel the NIL factor is strongly overexaggerated.

I still feel that Cooley isn't going anywhere, will be shocked if he leaves for Georgetown.
He was never leaving. Not close.

He accomplished what he wanted, more money at PC.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Whatever best floats Easy's boat...either way, gonna get, as our PA guy would say, "paaaaaaaaaaaiiid!!!!!!"
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

From my very first post on all this discussion I said Pitino to St. John's and Cooley staying put at PC.

I would never expect him to leave for another BE position.
My feeling has been that most of the BE schools (including PC) have the resources available and ability to play at the highest NCAA Div. 1 level.
I couldn't understand how some compared Hurley's move to UConn similar to that of jumping from PC to Georgetown.

Again this post may not end up aging well, but I would be very surprised.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Whatever best floats Easy's boat...either way, gonna get, as our PA guy would say, "paaaaaaaaaaaiiid!!!!!!"
Not enough aaaaaas
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Ed wants to stay at PC. Will the diocese include an envelop for NIL money?
It will take a lot more nildo (I'm tm'ing that) to get the same player to choose peecee over DC. If they get a real coach at Gtown....chout.
It depends weather they want to work for a degree from a prestigious institution or academic work is not their thing.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not close is what happened at Mizzou. Gates name got hot and they immediately re-upped and he squashed it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
It depends weather they want to work for a degree from a prestigious institution or academic work is not their thing.
Really? There's degrees involved? I don't think that the nildo-driven (the difference-makers) are thinking about degrees...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

To this point NIL has had very little impact on roster construction at Dayton, VCU or SLU. Gtown is using PCs slow movement in NIL against them yet PC is the program with the more recent success in the age of NIL. Gtown doesn’t have anything extravagant set up; it’s a promise to Cooley to build it. So how big a factor is it? In luring Cooley in this specific situation it could be a negotiating point. But it’s not the reason we finished in 14th place this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

To this point NIL has had very little impact on roster construction at Dayton, VCU or SLU. Gtown is using PCs slow movement in NIL against them yet PC is the program with the more recent success in the age of NIL. Gtown doesn’t have anything extravagant set up; it’s a promise to Cooley to build it. So how big a factor is it? In luring Cooley in this specific situation it could be a negotiating point. But it’s not the reason we finished in 14th place this year.
Cools could build a bigger, more loving following in DC in 4 years than it has taken him 10+ in RI to build. Maybe could do it in one if the timing hire is right.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh I so got my hopes up that Ed was leaving now it looks like he’s staying , another kick in the pants for us
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago ... But it’s not the reason we finished in 14th place this year.
Why? is a very deep and controversial matter.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Today should be the decision day … Gtown especially can’t have this keep dragging on. Pitino playing chess. Hoyas fans reeling. PC fans in knots.

Timeline wise I forget when Dan was announced was it the Monday or Tuesday after we were eliminated. I remember the day before being a grueling day of twitter noise.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Well maybe the carousel will turn for a few more days. Goes Grasso get considered for Iona if it opens? Maybe Anderson from
FDU now.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Today should be the decision day … Gtown especially can’t have this keep dragging on. Pitino playing chess. Hoyas fans reeling. PC fans in knots.

Timeline wise I forget when Dan was announced was it the Monday or Tuesday after we were eliminated. I remember the day before being a grueling day of twitter noise.
Thursday Morning March 22, 2018 it was announced
Saturday March 17 we lost to Duke so 5 days later

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Today should be the decision day … Gtown especially can’t have this keep dragging on. Pitino playing chess. Hoyas fans reeling. PC fans in knots.

Thursday Morning March 22, 2018 it was announced
Saturday March 17 we lost to Duke so 5 days later

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html

Thanks Ramster felt like it happened much quicker.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Well maybe the carousel will turn for a few more days. Goes Grasso get considered for Iona if it opens? Maybe Anderson from
FDU now.

Only 2 options?
1. St John's
2. remaining at Iona

Nothing about Friartown?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sept 6, 2022 Cooley and PC renegotiated his contract

Only 6 months later............

https://friars.com/news/2022/9/6/mens-b ... nsion.aspx
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JoeHassett@sonarhassett

How bout Princeton! What a story. No Scholarships No NIL No practice facility, bus trips to most of their games. The coach is 2-0 in the NCAA tournament. Awesome @CBSSports @KevinMcNamara33 @BWMcGair03
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Ugh I so got my hopes up that Ed was leaving now it looks like he’s staying , another kick in the pants for us
PC Coaching Carousel thread up to 88 pages. Don't see in reading their board that's it's done that he is staying.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 5/?page=88
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Sept 6, 2022 Cooley and PC renegotiated his contract

PC has given Cooley just about everything he has wanted over the years yet it is never enough. He has to be among the highest paid coaches in all of America per NCAA wins. He has gone on for years about how he loves PC, its fans, and the city of Providence. He however does not seem to have had an issue sabotaging and spoiling the Friars NCAA season for all associated with the program. He showed his true colors in the last several weeks - it is all about Ed and screw everyone else, be it his players, the PC administration, or Friar fans. He has burned many bridges. Even if he were now to stay, things will never be the same. Furthermore, if his salary and program spending are once again significantly increased, expectations will be rightly much higher. His usual one and dones in the NCAA will no longer be acceptable. He will need to do much better than that. Anything less than making the second weekend of the tournament EVERY year will be a failure.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I love BAR but I believe NILDO is the most important factor in long term success in big time college sports. Sure there are outliers with no NILDO but do they sustain success over 10 years and keep their coaches. I want perennial NCAA appearances and a great coach who is wants to be at Rhody and stays when suitors come calling. I don’t want to wait until we get hit by lightning once every decade. Am I alone in this desire?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I love NILDO. And want the same outcome.
I think NIL will look a lot different as it evolves.
I think to win we need to have parity in terms of resources with top A10 programs. Whatever UD has we need to have. We never had what Kentucky had.

I’m not disregarding it. It’s out there and it’s necessary to compete. It’s also overblown in some instances.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Sept 6, 2022 Cooley and PC renegotiated his contract

PC has given Cooley just about everything he has wanted over the years yet it is never enough. He has to be among the highest paid coaches in all of America per NCAA wins. He has gone on for years about how he loves PC, its fans, and the city of Providence. He however does not seem to have had an issue sabotaging the Friars NCAA season for all associated with the program. He showed his true colors in the last several weeks - it is all about Ed and screw everyone else, be it his players, the PC administration, or Friar fans. He has burned many bridges. Even if he were now to stay, things will never be the same. Furthermore, if his salary and program spending are once again significantly increased, expectations will be rightly much higher. His usual one and dones in the NCAA will no longer be acceptable. He will need to do much better than that. Anything less than making the second weekend of the tournament EVERY year will be a failure.
That’s the odd part is that sabotaging his season and dragging PC into a bidding war with Gtown doesn’t seem good for his legacy- if that’s his main motivator. This can’t end up being about him getting more money for himself. Only way he can spin it is if it results in a NIL bag for his players. Then he doesn’t look like the bad guy. “I was fighting for my guys I want them to have what the Kentucky kids have.”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

With change comes opportunity, our big donors should see this as an opportunity to invest and separate us from our peers, not just keep us in line with them. Dan was able to land several BE recruits and for us to now do that will mean NIL. Do we want to still recruit and land BE talent? Then BE NIL for at least for a few players may be what it takes. If our big donors put together a 5 and 10 year plan/commitment to out spend our direct competitors then we can establish ourselves and then more money and interest will follow. Obviously easy for me to spend other people’s money, but here is a chance to think and do big.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I love NILDO. And want the same outcome.
I think NIL will look a lot different as it evolves.
I think to win we need to have parity in terms of resources with top A10 programs. Whatever UD has we need to have. We never had what Kentucky had.

I’m not disregarding it. It’s out there and it’s necessary to compete. It’s also overblown in some instances.
“We never had what Kentucky had”. - Of,course we did. Jacob Toppin😀
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC Board Poll: Is Cooley Staying?

The Poll started out hot (at 80% leaving) but has dropped to 67% leaving as of today

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 54/?page=5
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Anyone else see this as an indirect swipe at Cooley from Joe Hassett?

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago PC Board Poll

The Poll started out hot (at 80% leaving) but has dropped to 67% leaving as of today

Like 70 pages of concern and speculation for something with zero chance of happening? ;)

Rumor is Cooley is flying there today to check it out. Who knows if that’s true.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else see this as an indirect swipe at Cooley from Joe Hassett?

I posted this an hour ago in this thread. Saw it on the PC Coaches Carousel Board.
It got some discussion there. Many long time PC board members are not happy with how Cooley has handled this and will not view him the same way even if he remains at PC.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else see this as an indirect swipe at Cooley from Joe Hassett?

I posted this an hour ago in this thread. Saw it on the PC Coaches Carousel Board.
It got some discussion there. Many long time PC board members are not happy with how Cooley has handled this and will not view him the same way even if he remains at PC.
Cooley has always been an absolute fraud, glad even PC fans are coming around to it.

Pompous, fake nice guy, knows all the right things to say and when to say them, great businessman.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago PC Board Poll

Like 70 pages of concern and speculation for something with zero chance of happening? ;)

Rumor is Cooley is flying there today to check it out. Who knows if that’s true.
It's at 90 pages now BAR. It's a lot to read but it's an interesting read in my opinion. Tough situation for any team's fans to be in.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the attached article......

Georgetown has long been headed by the tree of John Thompson Jr since 1972. That’s included Thompson’s assistant Craig Esherick, his son John Thompson III, and Ewing, Thompson’s top player.

Cooley has a connection to Georgetown, he shares the same agent, Dennis Coleman, as John Thompson III and his brother Ronny Thompson, who Georgetown’s chief of staff.

https://www.yardbarker.com/general_spor ... 7_38596346
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

No matter how good you are and how much everyone loves you, there are limits to how much people will put up with and Ed may have found that limit. People who truly love their situation would not continue to put the university and fans through this on a regular basis.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

@curryhickssage

One Providence source telling me this morning that Ed will be in DC today to check out the program’s infrastructure and get a more up close sense of the situation he’d be inheriting
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago With change comes opportunity, our big donors should see this as an opportunity to invest and separate us from our peers, not just keep us in line with them. Dan was able to land several BE recruits and for us to now do that will mean NIL. Do we want to still recruit and land BE talent? Then BE NIL for at least for a few players may be what it takes. If our big donors put together a 5 and 10 year plan/commitment to out spend our direct competitors then we can establish ourselves and then more money and interest will follow. Obviously easy for me to spend other people’s money, but here is a chance to think and do big.
I firmly agree with this take. We have to be at or higher spending levels than our competition in order to compete going forward, especially when it comes to attracting talent to a currently losing program. We just can't wish to be better...whatever it takes.