2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Eh I saw that as him trolling us in the spirit of the rivalry actually. And it worked. I don’t understand why it’s a weak move if he idolized JT and wants to test himself on a bigger stage.
It is the same conference; he could build his own legacy, not follow in someone else's footsteps.
Again weak move, and $ trump everything.
If you think this move was predicated in "$ trump everything" then I can see why you thought the move would never happen. Cooley was going to get a pay raise no matter where he went. Even if he wanted to stay at PC at all costs he could have squeezed an extra million or more out of Nap.

Like any job change it's about many things and at the top of most people's lists family is up there to be balanced.

If you look at this from a zero % chance (no way possible, never happen, you are crazy if you think he would ever leave PC) to 100% chance (they are loading the moving truck) you could view the time graph like a football graph % chance of winning)

I'd say it was never absolute zero and it's still not 100% until the I's dotter and T's crossed. But over the week or two the clues kept coming in and the % kept rising.

We don't know all that is driving him towards this and may never know all but my guesses are:

- Daughter selected Georgetown. Great choice, great school. Congrats. Imaging the pride Ed Cooley and wife feel when she walks that stage in May?
- We know Ed and wife have come to know the Georgetown and Dc area much better over the 4 years she went to GU. My guess is they grew to like it more and became more comfortable there.
- Maybe daughter will go to Grsd School there? Maybe she wants to remain in DC area upon graduation vs returning to RI? Don't underestimated a mothers desire to be near her daughter, and father too.
- Relationship to Georgetown due to strong connection to John Thompson.
- Opportunity to rebuild the Georgetown program back to its lofty heights under John Thompson (very similar to Dan Hurley for UCONN and in fact Cooley saw that play out here)
- Point in life children are grown. No longer in school.
- Challenge. Maybe a bit bored at PC. Georgetown is exciting as a new challenge.
- AD and President of PC have retired or moved on in recent years.
- More on the National stage, in the spotlight
- Can parlay into cushy TV gigs for big money and fun. He loves the spotlight and microphone
- Can keep his home in RI (or not keep it)
- Georgetown job doesn't open often. Act now or lose it.

Not 100% in my mind he goes yet. Remember Jim Harrick, but it's likely up to 90% to 95% now. Cooley could still reverse. But if he does certainly have to look at the damage done to this years team the last 2 weeks with this noise continuing to distract.

Money is nice, but much more in this decision than $$$. More about family, location and career path.

As for fans, that's all short term and not a factor. Look at Hurley and every HC that moves on. Time heals all wounds.

Imagine StubHub ticket prices when Georgetown plays at PC next year? Georgetown at UCONN? Actually it's better for the BE to have Cooley stay there. Georgetown looks strange at the bottom of the BE. DePaul belongs there. Georgetown will get back to Top Tier whether Cooley takes then there or not. Somebody will and Cooley is smart enough to know that so why not him.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

It is the same conference; he could build his own legacy, not follow in someone else's footsteps.
So was it weak for Dan to follow Calhoun’s legacy instead of creating his own in Kingston?
Totally different because that was to a higher conference on a much bigger stage with a significant increase. Also not to a rival team in the same conference.
Washington DC and Georgetown are a much bigger stage than Providence. The money will be 1-2mm more than he is making now. No one would consider Gtown and PC “rivals”. Same conference is a wrinkle here but just don’t think it’s that meaningful. Gtown holds a certain reverence with black head coaches. It’s undeniable.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Nate Watson's father

rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

It can not only be about the $$$$$$
What does GT offer that PC can not

I do not see the reason to leave. I just don't
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Eh I saw that as him trolling us in the spirit of the rivalry actually. And it worked. I don’t understand why it’s a weak move if he idolized JT and wants to test himself on a bigger stage.
If you think this move was predicated in "$ trump everything" then I can see why you thought the move would never happen. Cooley was going to get a pay raise no matter where he went. Even if he wanted to stay at PC at all costs he could have squeezed an extra million or more out of Nap.

Like any job change it's about many things and at the top of most people's lists family is up there to be balanced.

If you look at this from a zero % chance (no way possible, never happen, you are crazy if you think he would ever leave PC) to 100% chance (they are loading the moving truck) you could view the time graph like a football graph % chance of winning)

I'd say it was never absolute zero and it's still not 100% until the I's dotter and T's crossed. But over the week or two the clues kept coming in and the % kept rising.

We don't know all that is driving him towards this and may never know all but my guesses are:

- Daughter selected Georgetown. Great choice, great school. Congrats. Imaging the pride Ed Cooley and wife feel when she walks that stage in May?
- We know Ed and wife have come to know the Georgetown and Dc area much better over the 4 years she went to GU. My guess is they grew to like it more and became more comfortable there.
- Maybe daughter will go to Grsd School there? Maybe she wants to remain in DC area upon graduation vs returning to RI? Don't underestimated a mothers desire to be near her daughter, and father too.
- Relationship to Georgetown due to strong connection to John Thompson.
- Opportunity to rebuild the Georgetown program back to its lofty heights under John Thompson (very similar to Dan Hurley for UCONN and in fact Cooley saw that play out here)
- Point in life children are grown. No longer in school.
- Challenge. Maybe a bit bored at PC. Georgetown is exciting as a new challenge.
- AD and President of PC have retired or moved on in recent years.
- More on the National stage, in the spotlight
- Can parlay into cushy TV gigs for big money and fun. He loves the spotlight and microphone
- Can keep his home in RI (or not keep it)
- Georgetown job doesn't open often. Act now or lose it.

Not 100% in my mind he goes yet. Remember Jim Harrick, but it's likely up to 90% to 95% now and rising.

Money is nice, but much more in this decision than $$$. More about family, location and career path.

As for fans, that's all short term and not a factor. Look at Hurley and every HC that moves on. Time heals all wounds.

Imagine StubHub ticket prices when Georgetown plays at PC next year? Georgetown at UCONN? Actually it's better for the BE to have Cooley stay there.
Here’s another one do you not think he is looking at Dan and saying that could be me with more to sell. Top 10 recruiting classes, a Top 5 team for a period of the year, mentioning UConn as a national title contender. He’s not getting that at PC. He has been a magician with the Portal but don’t you think he wishes he could land Hopkins type players on the first go round versus be a haven when it doesn’t work out. He’s pulled rabbits out of a hat. Maybe he thinks he can’t keep doing that or wants it a bit easier. People acting like Cooley doesn’t have an ego. He’s human, he does. He wants to win at the highest level.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Good take Ramster. Always a chance he can’t do it in the end but the warning signs were there over the last 7-10 days.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Like I said early on, I would be surprised if he does this, for the reasons I have stated. If he does, I feel he may regret it at some point. It would be an ugly divorce.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep. I'm sure he looks at Dan Hurley, sees the move he made to UCONN and says why not me at Georgetown?
His daughter is there.
His wife is likely saying why not? Let's give it a shot?
Cooley was at the forefront of bringing in transfers and building an old team with the free Covid year.
Just imagine how he could lift Georgetown and fast.
He could do it Year 1.
Portal is 500 players now and will be 1800+ in 2 weeks

Imagine Ishmael Leggett on Georgetown?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Zero chance. Zero. 😁
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago It can not only be about the $$$$$$

This is a joke right? It’s Georgetown, one of the all around most prestigious universities in the US, in the nations capital. PC is a nothing institution.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

This is a joke right? It’s Georgetown, one of the all around most prestigious universities in the US, in the nations capital. PC is a nothing institution.
It is a basketball coach position, he isn’t earning his PHD there. Granted the lifestyle in DC is a little different than Providence, some may even enjoy living In RI more.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It is a basketball coach position, he isn’t earning his PHD there. Granted the lifestyle in DC is a little different than Providence, some may even enjoy living In RI more.
Some may say that. But a black affluent man may not be 1 of them. As far as the “brand” value what do you think sounds cooler to a prospect - come be Iverson or come be Dunn? It’s on another level.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So was it weak for Dan to follow Calhoun’s legacy instead of creating his own in Kingston?
In my opinion yes - he could have made Rhody a national brand.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the thing. If Cooley is their slightly better version of Baron do we really want him to go? They may end up with someone better.
I agree with you but Cooley leaving providence for Georgetown is peak content as a URI fan.

Their stupid fan base who couldn’t even get into their second tier catholic school THINK they are on par with the georgetowns of the world. This destroys their brains
What's weirder, and more laughable, is the thought that PC is the better gig of the two. No matter where you are, you need to be good, or program name doesn't matter. But if you're good at Georgetown and good at PC....G'town is by far a bigger job.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Some may say that. But a black affluent man may not be 1 of them. As far as the “brand” value what do you think sounds cooler to a prospect - come be Iverson or come be Dunn? It’s on another level.
BAR, to the young kids now, not as big of a difference as you think. Ewing with all his fame and the Georgetown brand wasn’t able to build the best roster and bring in the blue chip recruits.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BAR, to the young kids now, not as big of a difference as you think. Ewing with all his fame and the Georgetown brand wasn’t able to build the best roster and bring in the blue chip recruits.
Ewing had never been a Head Coach before. He came into the BE along with Chris Mullins - neither had HC experience. Mistake by Georgetown was keeping the Ewing experiment going so long.
Georgetown is a HC opening with humongous potential and Cooley knows it. If Cooley doesn't take it there will be no shortage of highly interested and high potential candidates.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramster maybe you and BAR see the potential as much greater there, but I am no so sure I see that big of a difference anymore.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If it pisses off the whiny, entitled Fryuh Faih-weathah Faithful, so much the better.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster maybe you and BAR see the potential as much greater there, but I am no so sure I see that big of a difference anymore.
Successful @ Georgetown >>>>>>> Successful @ PC
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This above. And I don’t see how that’s even a debate.
He’s big fish small pond. He can move to a bigger pond.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago This above. And I don’t see how that’s even a debate.
He’s big fish small pond. He can move to a bigger pond.
Nobody is comparing their tradition.
But I think the opportunity to reach that level isn't that far apart anymore.
Georgetown hasn't had a winning conference record in 8 years and only 2 conference wins in the last 2 years.

Greg McDermott at Creighton in Omaha brought in a top 5 recruiting class 2 years ago.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Koch pointed this out on his podcast, but the basketball fan perspective and the coaching fraternity perspective RE: Georgetown are very, very different.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago Nate Watson's father

What is this ??
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A potential old take exposed.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the thing. If Cooley is their slightly better version of Baron do we really want him to go? They may end up with someone better.
I agree with you but Cooley leaving providence for Georgetown is peak content as a URI fan.

Their stupid fan base who couldn’t even get into their second tier catholic school THINK they are on par with the georgetowns of the world. This destroys their brains
Last week I said I'd be shocked, but some coaches have a thing in their heads that is their mountain to climb. It seems like Georgetown is to Cooley as UConn was to Hurley.

I wouldn't get too high and mighty about this.

They are on par with Georgetown - certainly right now. Maybe not in "brand" but...that brand has been largely nonexistent for the last decade. PC has been to 7/9 NCAA's, a Big East tourney and regular season title, sweet 16. They've invested in the facilities and are almost a guarantee to beat a top 10 team at home every year. Obviously a coach makes a program (as we know), but I think PC is in a great position to hire somebody good.

Cooley was making top 15 coaching money - the guy can recruit and is a great program representative. But is he really that good of an in-game coach? I mean this year was certainly impressive rebuilding after what he lost, but it always comes down to having a lot of the best players and not being able to put them in spots to get them over a hump.

He was the national COY, deservedly so last year, but a lot of that was on his ability to keep and convince a team of 23 year olds to stay. They hit their ceiling. Most years he just can recruit and develop players - Cotton/Dunn/Bentil/Durham/Hopkins/Carter - but hasn't really shown he can get them any further than they can get themselves. I'm sure many Friar fans would agree he's not a stud x's and o's guy.

I would be willing to bet that there's a part of Steve Napolillo that's happy because with the money they commit to Cooley as it is, you can go and hire someone great. They won't get some up and comer. They'll swing for the fences. And if they can get who some of their donors think they can get, it won't be a laughing matter on our side.

People in glass houses...I love the guy we hired and I know we're going to be very good. But to talk shit about PC losing their coach when we are where we are and it's very possible they go in and get someone better isn't a great look.

That said, I'm all for hating for hating's sake. So hate away.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
People in glass houses...I love the guy we hired and I know we're going to be very good. But to talk shit about PC losing their coach when we are where we are and it's very possible they go in and get someone better isn't a great look.

I mean I say this as hypocritically as possible, knowing that Archie could very well win here and then bolt somewhere better: seeing PC fans realize they aren’t as nationally relevant as they thought makes me laugh
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Last week I said I'd be shocked, but some coaches have a thing in their heads that is their mountain to climb. It seems like Georgetown is to Cooley as UConn was to Hurley.

They are on par with Georgetown - certainly right now. Maybe not in "brand" but...that brand has been largely nonexistent for the last decade. PC has been to 7/9 NCAA's, a Big East tourney and regular season title, sweet 16. They've invested in the facilities and are almost a guarantee to beat a top 10 team at home every year. Obviously a coach makes a program (as we know), but I think PC is in a great position to hire somebody good.

Cooley was making top 15 coaching money - the guy can recruit and is a great program representative. But is he really that good of an in-game coach? I mean this year was certainly impressive rebuilding after what he lost, but it always comes down to having a lot of the best players and not being able to put them in spots to get them over a hump.

He was the national COY, deservedly so last year, but a lot of that was on his ability to keep and convince a team of 23 year olds to stay. They hit their ceiling. Most years he just can recruit and develop players - Cotton/Dunn/Bentil/Durham/Hopkins/Carter - but hasn't really shown he can get them any further than they can get themselves. I'm sure many Friar fans would agree he's not a stud x's and o's guy.

I would be willing to bet that there's a part of Steve Napolillo that's happy because with the money they commit to Cooley as it is, you can go and hire someone great. They won't get some up and comer. They'll swing for the fences. And if they can get who some of their donors think they can get, it won't be a laughing matter on our side.

m

They aren’t getting Billy Donovan.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

m

And we weren't getting Archie Miller.

Nothing shocks me anymore.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

m

True but significantly more of a stretch given he’s gainfully employed at 6mm/year…but strange things happen in cbb and yes that would in fact be worse for Rhody fans !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago m

True but significantly more of a stretch given he’s gainfully employed at 6mm/year…but strange things happen in cbb and yes that would in fact be worse for Rhody fans !
And Cooley is gainfully employed in his hometown making $4.1M and is looked at as a hero to his fanbase.

Don't underestimate the draw that coaching at your alma mater, who's never reached the kind of success you did as a player, has.

Not only that, but the opportunity to coach in your former conference against your former coach.

And I think for him, PC would have no problem matching his salary.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And Cooley is gainfully employed in his hometown making $4.1M and is looked at as a hero to his fanbase.

Don't underestimate the draw that coaching at your alma mater, who's never reached the kind of success you did as a player, has.

Not only that, but the opportunity to coach in your former conference against your former coach.

PC can’t pay 6mm. Cmon now. Texas can and he’s been rumored there. Just think the bright lights of UF, 2 national titles and the NBA will overcome any nostalgia for where he played.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rumor has it that GTown is willing to get an NIL pool of $3M for basketball. Makes one's recruiting job easier. Don't know if the friars can match that and the salary.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Rumor has it that GTown is willing to get an NIL pool of $3M for basketball. Makes one's recruiting job easier. Don't know if the friars can match that and the salary.
Supposedly funded or supplemented by Nike
Pulling out all the stops. They know they have to overpay for the state of affairs there. And from PR standpoint Cooley needs the cover of an “offer you can’t refuse” to make this palatable.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Keeps getting juicier. This is Nate saying Zero chance

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PC can’t pay 6mm. Cmon now. Texas can and he’s been rumored there. Just think the bright lights of UF, 2 national titles and the NBA will overcome any nostalgia for where he played.
Why not? They have some deep pocket donors, and not a ton of athletics expenses. Their TV deal currently pays $4.6M per team in the conference and it's up in the next 2 years.

A conference that has Cooley bringing Georgetown back to relevance, UConn relevant, St Johns w/ Rick Pitino, Sean Miller at Xavier, and potentially Donovan at PC could fetch a bigger number for that TV contract.

Same as URI wasn't going to be able to afford Archie - and then we saw what the abyss looks like when we don't have a good coach. We found the money.

PC won't let themselves go off the cliff and if Nap doesn't go and make a big splash for his first hire, there will be pitchforks.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Will Nate's mom be next?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PC makes a move to force the hand.

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago PC makes a move to force the hand.

Sounds familiar. Too little, too late?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No matter how this plays out it will result in Cooley being the most overpaid coach in cbb relative to NCAA results.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No matter how this plays out it will result in Cooley being the most overpaid coach in cbb relative to NCAA results.
Did I not call it?

Using GT as a ploy for more money at PC.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Totally agree for ALL of those reasons (and I was going to reply that in one of the posts above, but they were too frickn long already).
I have him as the LITC in this race...and would just add that, if/when he comes or not, this isn't going to be a salary decision for him. I think it's all about the above plus lifestyle, with "who wouldn't prefer here to there...?" as a bonus.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No matter how this plays out it will result in Cooley being the most overpaid coach in cbb relative to NCAA results.
"hold that thought for now"
- G'town/Johnnie Fan
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Did I not call it?

Using GT as a ploy for more money at PC.
This wasn’t a negotiating tactic regardless of the outcome.
You don’t tank your season to gain some leverage. Of course PC wasn’t going to stand down. And it was always going to be difficult decision for him to make. They made it harder.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

As Ramster and others have alluded to this isn’t about money.
Money may provide the cover for him to spin the move but the appeal to him is other factors. Whether those outweigh his hometown loyalty is what we will find out in next 24 hours.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So a big part of it IS him not wanting to be disliked in PVD.

Coulda swore you said Cooley couldn’t care less about being disliked from people like Joe in North Providence or people in stop and shop…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Coulda swore you said Cooley couldn’t care less about being disliked from people like Joe in North Providence or people in stop and shop…
I don’t think he doesn’t entirely care everyone likes being liked. It just hasn’t stopped coaches/players in past if they had their mind set on a move even if that was the result.
And I did use the Joe in North Providence line.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ah, the former URI assistant is at a crossroad. If he stays, does friar fans forget about another 1 and done in the NCAAT?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think he doesn’t entirely care everyone likes being liked. It just hasn’t stopped coaches/players in past if they had their mind set on a move even if that was the result.
And I did use the Joe in North Providence line.
“One of the worst reasons given for why he won’t leave”

It literally seems like one of the only reasons he won’t leave…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Zero chance I said that, zero.