The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by RF1 »

Given coaching changes typically result in a lot of player transfers, which PC players are likely to enter the portal after Cooley leaves?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would guess @ least 4 RF1
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Given coaching changes typically result in a lot of player transfers, which PC players are likely to enter the portal after Cooley leaves?
I wonder how many follow him to G'Town.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Given coaching changes typically result in a lot of player transfers, which PC players are likely to enter the portal after Cooley leaves?
I wonder how many follow him to G'Town.
I would guess maybe 1
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Which geographic areas are the strength of our recruiters?
Do we have a NY/NJ connection? If so, Niels Lane is in the portal. Roselle Catholic kid.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Which geographic areas are the strength of our recruiters?
Do we have a NY/NJ connection? If so, Niels Lane is in the portal. Roselle Catholic kid.
Woodward is an NYC/NJ guy. Austin covers NE. Kenny has the DMV ties. Born in Maryland and was part of Team Takeover.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

thanks
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Happy we’re going after him
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yes, good fit.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Another one
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Another one
I notice a pattern. A lot of these guys are good or great shooters. I’m glad Archie is aware!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Long list.

STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

May have been posted already but here’s another transfer linked to Rhody. 38% shooter from three point land in 3 years at AU.

STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

4 openings, nobody penciled in as a starter, seemingly unlimited playing time to offer… I’m expecting big results from Archie and staff during this portal cycle. Time to earn that fat paycheck.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago 4 openings, nobody penciled in as a starter, seemingly unlimited playing time to offer… I’m expecting big results from Archie and staff during this portal cycle. Time to earn that fat paycheck.
5 let’s be real Carey isn’t coming back
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

As expected we’re involved with him

Turns it over a lot but looked at his stats, Enoch averaged 1.4 block/game last year hot damn
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Arkansas the only high major in on a transfer? Wow I’m shocked.

They must literally have an automated text/email/call get sent out to every double digit scorer who enters the portal.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We are casting a wide portalpalooza net. We are hitting it hard early. Archie and staff are on a mission!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Arkansas the only high major in on a transfer? Wow I’m shocked.

They must literally have an automated text/email/call get sent out to every double digit scorer who enters the portal.
Didn't Musselman just not recruit high school players at all at Nevada?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Arkansas the only high major in on a transfer? Wow I’m shocked.

Pretty sure Bryant subscribes to that same text service.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Looks like we’re sending out a lot too.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Moral of the story…players may leave and it’s no knock or fault of the coach. But you just rinse repeat and reload. Princeton coach about to get paid.

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago We are casting a wide portalpalooza net. We are hitting it hard early. Archie and staff are on a mission!
Hope so, b/c we are a long way from, mission accomplished.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Princeton has much to offer as long as enrollment services is cooperative.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Princeton has much to offer as long as enrollment services is cooperative.
Maybe we could get them in a 3 for 1 series? 3 in NJ and one @ Mohegan?
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I think Jersey was saying we should go after him
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yep, like him just not sure we can land him.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Against that list? Don't know anything about this guy, but those schools are not a roadblock for us.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Against that list? Don't know anything about this guy, but those schools are not a roadblock for us.
Absolute beast on the boards
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We could sure use a beast on the boards in the front court.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

That URI is on so many lists is bad IMHO. I was hoping they'd target a few who were good fits and the staff had connections to. This scattershot approach shows desperate things are.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago That URI is on so many lists is bad IMHO. I was hoping they'd target a few who were good fits and the staff had connections to. This scattershot approach shows desperate things are.
Mussleman does it all the time. Why is this bad? It's the wild west out there now.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago That URI is on so many lists is bad IMHO. I was hoping they'd target a few who were good fits and the staff had connections to. This scattershot approach shows desperate things are.
I think this is a bit different then your typical high school recruit. Everything is really condensed with the transfer.
I would imagine with many of these, we have an assistant coach reach out with a "hey, this is coach x from URI. Looking forward to building a relationship, getting to know you/your family, and seeing if we could be the right fit. Let us know if you are interested etc".

I think as these guys start narrowing down to top 3 and we miss out on a lot, then it may be worrisome.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago That URI is on so many lists is bad IMHO. I was hoping they'd target a few who were good fits and the staff had connections to.
And if you miss on one or two of those few targets then you're behind on everyone else. Need a lot of irons in the fire.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So what happens if we only had a few targets and we didn’t get them? We’d be screwed.

Archie and co HAVE to cast a wide net.

We have zero talent.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Iggy is a very respected poster from way back, but these comments tell me he did realize how bad things had gotten.

He's not alone either, there were many posters who were under the impression we could just return most of our roster, and with a little seasoning and a little coaching up here or there, they would all be fine.

This past season was merely a transition year, between the salvage effort to pick up the pieces of a 4 year stint from David Cox, and to where Archie wants to be going forward. If anyone wants to be upset, be upset for URI's failure to pull the plug on Cox earlier.

OR, better yet, don't be upset, since if they had pulled the plug a year earlier, we might not have ended up with a proven coach like Archie.

This is going to be an extreme recruiting season than what we are used to. It has to be. Future years may not seem AS extreme, or, they might be close to in some aspects, as this is what the college game evolved to, by the hands of the NCAA themselves.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

In addition to our roster being completely devoid of talent I think being “in” on a bunch of recruits can help build a buzz around a program. Regardless of what you think of Grasso, he offered everyone and their mother and that helped build a buzz around the Bryant program which helped secure talent. This program needs buzz to allure top portal talent, because we can’t sell results right now. Hurley built a buzz on the trail by landing EC and Hass early on. As a moribund program, we can’t rely on on-court results for buzz. If we can land 1-2 notable portal pieces then other recruits will take note and see what is being built at Rhody.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Love your stuff Iggy but that’s a pre portal thought in my CYO opinion!

GO RHODY!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
He's not alone either, there were many posters who were under the impression we could just return most of our roster, and with a little seasoning and a little coaching up here or there, they would all be fine.

I would like to see names that said that.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going to decline. If I start cutting and pasting everyone since the season ended who basically said as much, I'm going to be in a dog house I can't get out of.

I plead the 5th.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago In addition to our roster being completely devoid of talent I think being “in” on a bunch of recruits can help build a buzz around a program. Regardless of what you think of Grasso, he offered everyone and their mother and that helped build a buzz around the Bryant program which helped secure talent. This program needs buzz to allure top portal talent, because we can’t sell results right now. Hurley built a buzz on the trail by landing EC and Hass early on. As a moribund program, we can’t rely on on-court results for buzz. If we can land 1-2 notable portal pieces then other recruits will take note and see what is being built at Rhody.
Well said.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 1 year ago In addition to our roster being completely devoid of talent I think being “in” on a bunch of recruits can help build a buzz around a program. Regardless of what you think of Grasso, he offered everyone and their mother and that helped build a buzz around the Bryant program which helped secure talent. This program needs buzz to allure top portal talent, because we can’t sell results right now. Hurley built a buzz on the trail by landing EC and Hass early on. As a moribund program, we can’t rely on on-court results for buzz. If we can land 1-2 notable portal pieces then other recruits will take note and see what is being built at Rhody.
Next November is the time STC. We will land a top player or two, and then it starts. That is my hope. If not, well, I hope we get good transfers.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Archie and co. can absolutely not afford to whiff this portal cycle. They need to establish some building blocks for the future.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Something else to keep in mind with these lists...I wish I could find the tweet again, but I saw a reporter recently post that he saw a player mention a list of schools that he had heard from after entering the portal, so the reporter reached out to one of the coaches on the list to check with him. The coach said that not only had the team not reached out to the player, but the coach had never even heard of the player and didn't know who he was. Not claiming that's happening here with anyone specifically, but I found it pretty interesting.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Where the portal playaz at?

Let's guess

Will we get our first commit this week?

Next week?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Something else to keep in mind with these lists...I wish I could find the tweet again, but I saw a reporter recently post that he saw a player mention a list of schools that he had heard from after entering the portal, so the reporter reached out to one of the coaches on the list to check with him. The coach said that not only had the team not reached out to the player, but the coach had never even heard of the player and didn't know who he was. Not claiming that's happening here with anyone specifically, but I found it pretty interesting.
I think it was hurley who said that his assistants are doing all the portalling and he has no idea what’s going on with them, so maybe it’s that kind of deal
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
So what happens if we only had a few targets and we didn’t get them? We’d be screwed.

We have zero talent.
zero percent talent zero
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

We have zero talent.
zero percent talent zero
What dude? That has nothing to do with this post. But I’ll play that game, sure.

Masks at games for 3 years.

Still waiting on my 4 pack for Shaidzon from you.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

We have zero talent.
zero percent talent zero
What dude? That has nothing to do with this post. But I’ll play that game, sure.

Masks at games for 3 years.

Still waiting on my 4 pack for Shaidzon from you.
I'm saying we had zero percent talent, don't get your shorts in such a bunch...it's ok to laugh at one's self sometimes.
PM me how I owe you a 4 pak and if it's true I'll make it happen. Otherwise, try to lighten up some ;) (and not fer nuttn, you could still end up being totally right on easy ed)