URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Not making all conference shouldn't have any impact on a player leaving a crappy conference, not even last straw level, I would hope.
If it had any impact at all....you probably don't want the player anyway. I'm certain that Ish would say that had absolutely nothing to do with it (even in confidence), and I'd believe him. It just sounds silly...like, "I didn't make all conference, so I'm going to ....what? A) 'take my ball and go to a crappier conference where I will', or, 'B) a better conference where I have no chance?"

It's a sucky thing that he got no props, but I don't see it as a factor for anything...
It matters to players and parents (there is a clue for you) that your team is so bad that you can have an awesome individual season and still get zero recognition. Especially someone like him that's been dealing with us being terrible for a while. I don't think an award would ever be the main reason, and I never said it was. I think there are many reasons why he's leaving and it just started to add up over time and that was the most recent negative thing that has happened to him.
So if what you’re saying is true, him and his parents were sick of the team being so bad (wouldn’t blame em), that means they had zero faith in Archie to improve the team, which doesn’t reflect well on him and the staff.
I think if he lost complete faith, he wouldn't have left the option to come back.. Archie wasn't brought up in my convo...I was told things like "recognition is key" and the losses are "mentally draining,"

I wouldn't have much faith in Archie right now.. Look at who he brought in this year. If I was Ish, I would say it's time to prove it to me. Get some legit talent around me and I'll consider staying.

We literally had to worry about keeping one player on this team and he was the first one to transfer. Archie's start has been horrible. I still believe in him but man he needs some home runs this offseason.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

It matters to players and parents (there is a clue for you) that your team is so bad that you can have an awesome individual season and still get zero recognition. Especially someone like him that's been dealing with us being terrible for a while. I don't think an award would ever be the main reason, and I never said it was. I think there are many reasons why he's leaving and it just started to add up over time and that was the most recent negative thing that has happened to him.
So if what you’re saying is true, him and his parents were sick of the team being so bad (wouldn’t blame em), that means they had zero faith in Archie to improve the team, which doesn’t reflect well on him and the staff.
I think if he lost complete faith, he wouldn't have left the option to come back.. Archie wasn't brought up in my convo...I was told things like "recognition is key" and the losses are "mentally draining,"

I wouldn't have much faith in Archie right now.. Look at who he brought in this year. If I was Ish, I would say it's time to prove it to me. Get some legit talent around me and I'll consider staying.

We literally had to worry about keeping one player on this team and he was the first one to transfer. Archie's start has been horrible. I still believe in him but man he needs some home runs this offseason.
He needs some players that can come in and instantly have an impact on the team, like Khalif Battle. HUGE offseason for Archie.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

He needs some players that can come in and instantly have an impact on the team, like Khalif Battle. HUGE offseason for Archie.
Would love a visit from Battle
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ish will see which teams have interest in him and how much is their NIL package offer. He was our best player. If he can parlay that into more $ than he gets here I am happy for him. I don’t think it’s an indictment of our coaches. It is an indictment of our ability to compete in the new NIL world.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm sorry...this is flat out laughable (to me anyway)...that a guy on a crappy team, in a crappy conference, who has accomplished _____ and couldn't make third team all conference...would be saying, to a coach with Arch's accomplishments, anything like: "it's time to prove it to me. Get some legit talent around me and I'll consider staying. "

Hilarious.... although, maybe I'll see how that flies with Karen Lynch...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not making all conference shouldn't have any impact on a player leaving a crappy conference, not even last straw level, I would hope.
If it had any impact at all....you probably don't want the player anyway. I'm certain that Ish would say that had absolutely nothing to do with it (even in confidence), and I'd believe him. It just sounds silly...like, "I didn't make all conference, so I'm going to ....what? A) 'take my ball and go to a crappier conference where I will', or, 'B) a better conference where I have no chance?"

It's a sucky thing that he got no props, but I don't see it as a factor for anything...
I can understand Stevey's point.
His frustration level just built up from 3 horrible years that just kept getting worse, his close friend Bray being dismissed from the team, and no conference recognition.

I didn't think Archie would make the "Dance" during Ish's time here anyway, but he definitely would have helped to play a vital role in our team's development, and improvement, which would help attract better players.

Obviously losing him isn't the end, but certainly slows down our rebuild.

Like I posted earlier, I felt retaining Ish would be Archie's most important recruit.
This is indeed a huge set-back for us, no way to sugar coat it.
But that is the way things are now and I trust/expect Archie to adjust.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Ish will see which teams have interest in him and how much is their NIL package offer. He was our best player. If he can parlay that into more $ than he gets here I am happy for him. I don’t think it’s an indictment of our coaches. It is an indictment of our ability to compete in the new NIL world.
Donate to https://rhodyexcellence.com/
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

People want Bassy out while he may be the only player who really wants to play for our (and his) school. Unbelievable.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Me giving $1000 a year to this fund won’t get it done. We need people who are willing to throw $100K into the pot to compete with the big schools for players.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

56D6D056-5A2A-406B-BA14-268C46585303.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago 56D6D056-5A2A-406B-BA14-268C46585303.jpeg
um, "again"?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I'm sorry...this is flat out laughable (to me anyway)...that a guy on a crappy team, in a crappy conference, who has accomplished _____ and couldn't make third team all conference...would be saying, to a coach with Arch's accomplishments, anything like: "it's time to prove it to me. Get some legit talent around me and I'll consider staying. "

Hilarious.... although, maybe I'll see how that flies with Karen Lynch...
Did you actually watch Ish much this year? He’s a very good player.

I don’t think there is a chance Ish comes back if we don’t land some legit talent and he believes he can win here. I don’t think he would actually say what I said…I do believe he wants better players around him and I think that’s a good thing. He wants to win.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Honestly for NYG208 to say, "couldn't make the third team all conference" is disingenuous. While technically true, it's also A10 BS - you can't tell me he wasn't one of the best 18 players in the A10.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Me giving $1000 a year to this fund won’t get it done. We need people who are willing to throw $100K into the pot to compete with the big schools for players.
Yeah yeah yeah

Every bit counts

We also don't need to dish out absurd amounts of money

This isn't P5 football

The NIL mountain is not as steep to climb as many of you think for college basketball
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I disagree with PeterRamTime about NIL in college basketball.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I disagree with PeterRamTime about NIL in college basketball.
PRT is closer to right. Good NIL deals for cbb players are 50-100K. We have the resources to do that.
I think Hopkins at PC got 100K. The crazy dollars that we can't compete with are outlier situations for blue chip players we would never get anyhow.
We aren't losing players to NIL in the A10. We are losing players bc we stink.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I disagree with PeterRamTime about NIL in college basketball.
PRT is closer to right. Good NIL deals for cbb players are 50-100K. We have the resources to do that.
I think Hopkins at PC got 100K. The crazy dollars that we can't compete with are outlier situations for blue chip players we would never get anyhow.
This is close to my opinion as well. I'm curious to see how many rotation regulars, say, Dayton and VCU will lose. At least last year, it wasn't All-A10 level players transferring, unless they were graduate transfers or their coach was fired. The churn will stop from our roster when we're better. We essentially have five starting spots open, and playing time is still the most valuable commodity a coach can offer.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
This is close to my opinion as well. I'm curious to see how many rotation regulars, say, Dayton and VCU will lose. At least last year, it wasn't All-A10 level players transferring, unless they were graduate transfers or their coach was fired. The churn will stop from our roster when we're better. We essentially have five starting spots open, and playing time is still the most valuable commodity a coach can offer.
Yup, we do not have ONE legitimate A10 starter.

Not one!
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Yup, we do not have ONE legitimate A10 starter.

Not one!
We did...Ish, but he's in the portal.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well we are in full free agency mode , just hit on all our transfers as they probably won’t want to transfer again without penalty and then coach them up
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Only in home games.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think Vermont spends on NIL per year?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ish considering leaving is the result of management incompetence before Arch was hired. Unlike DH, Archie was out of basketball a year, didn't have a former NBA brother coming as an assistant, didn't have a father who was a living basketball legend coach and didn't have a handful pf players ready to follow him to URI. Stop comparing Archie to DH. URI is a much more difficult rebuild. Considering the condition of URI basketball when he arrived and the effort he got from this group of players, Archie deserves kudos for his work this year.
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Ish will see which teams have interest in him and how much is their NIL package offer. He was our best player. If he can parlay that into more $ than he gets here I am happy for him. I don’t think it’s an indictment of our coaches. It is an indictment of our ability to compete in the new NIL world.
Ish is a god but not great player. I’m thinking he is not the kind of,player that gets bug NIH $. What do u think the range of NIH $ will be. I’m guessing something between 10k and 20 k max.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ok, so what do we have to offer recruits? Playing time and? This is a bit of uncharted territory for the A10 coaches recruiting as a 1 bid league.

This is where having more NIL money than your peers comes in. Just being at there level isn’t going to cut it for us in our situation.

But I also agree it appears most NIL collectives are mostly funded by a handful of donors and the average fan throwing in $50 or even a few hundred each is like bringing a bucket of sand to the beach. Unless you have a huge, dedicated and enthusiast fan base.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

and that guy couldn't even make third team all conference...think about that ;)

Gots a ways to go still....at this point, one (not even third team all conference in one of the crappiest conferences in America) guy staying or leaving, doesn't seem that critical... like we've said, "dealer, I'll take 13, please"
No, he didn't make 3rd team......but he should have.
maybe....still not a centerpiece of a winning team though, imo. We were just spoiled by his play in comparison to (fill in the blank with any Rhody player). Good teams usually have a guy or two that's solidly third team level or better as opposed to one "questionable between 3rd and 4th team" guy?
That is such a tough call. Surround him with guys who can shoot and his ability to drive to the hoop improves more.

I am going to miss Ish, but don’t blame him if he wants to win his last 2 years of college ball and isn’t convinced it will happen here. Especially with the A10 getting 1 bid. We are also a 9 win team, it’s not like we are a player away from being there so while it is a loss it doesn’t sting as much to me as it did when Tyrese and Jacob left.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

No, he didn't make 3rd team......but he should have.
maybe....still not a centerpiece of a winning team though, imo. We were just spoiled by his play in comparison to (fill in the blank with any Rhody player). Good teams usually have a guy or two that's solidly third team level or better as opposed to one "questionable between 3rd and 4th team" guy?
That is such a tough call. Surround him with guys who can shoot and his ability to drive to the hoop improves more.

I am going to miss Ish, but don’t blame him if he wants to win his last 2 years of college ball and isn’t convinced it will happen here. Especially with the A10 getting 1 bid. We are also a 9 win team, it’s not like we are a player away from being there so while it is a loss it doesn’t sting as much to me as it did when Tyrese and Jacob left.
When Tyrese and Jacob left it was quite surprising and unexpected. We did not have the Immediate eligibility rule yet. Both transferred expecting to sit out their 1st year - but then both got waivers.

That was 2 players in the same year. 2 expected starters for the next season.

Leggett's departure is more expected because College Basketball now has instant eligibility. There are now 1800 transfers per years now along with NIL. Leggett's team is at the bottom of the A10 with little optimism for next season.

Losing all 3, including Martin, Toppin and now Leggett has been brutal for URI MBB fans. Transfers or Incoming Freshman coming in have not matched the talents or potential of these 3 players up to this point.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They'll get over it.

Football lost one of the best players in the nation. Better than Toppin, Tyrese or Leggett. He had 30 P5 Football schools dying to have him transfer to their team. I didn't hear anyone crying about it. Just wished him well.

This is the new reality. But your big boy pants on.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

URI Football Fan consoles URI Basketball Fan over the loss of Ishmael Leggett...

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago They'll get over it.

Football lost one of the best players in the nation. Better than Toppin, Tyrese or Leggett. He had 30 P5 Football schools dying to have him transfer to their team. I didn't hear anyone crying about it. Just wished him well.

This is the new reality. But your big boy pants on.
Nobody's crying.
New reality also has good players coming in to balance off the losses. Still waiting on the Martin, Toppin and Leggett incoming replacement transfers.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Losing all 3, including Martin, Toppin and now Leggett has been brutal for URI MBB fans.
This is what I'm referring to. Brutal for MBB fans. Maybe you weren't crying, but you acknowledged the criers, who won't be able to grow old with Ishmael Leggett and all of their faves. Boo hoo.

If Archie has this team on top, I could really care less if the players form a congo line out the door every season, just as long as he replaces them.

That's the new reality. Basically no different than Football.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Losing all 3, including Martin, Toppin and now Leggett has been brutal for URI MBB fans.
This is what I'm referring to. Brutal for MBB fans. Maybe you weren't crying, but you acknowledged the criers, who won't be able to grow old with Ishmael Leggett and all of their faves. Boo hoo.

If Archie has this team on top, I could really care less if the players form a congo line out the door every season, just as long as he replaces them.

That's the new reality. Basically no different than Football.
I'd been hearing since Archie arrived that he was going to build for the long term bringing in Freshmen and transfers with several years eligibility remaining. This was the plan and important because the Pack-line defense is so complicated to learn and implement.

Just until a month or so ago this was often noted on this board.

Now it seems the recruiting strategy has changed. Now looking at JUCO's, Grad Transfers, undergrad Transfers. Seems the logical approach at this point in time.

We are at the bottom of the A10 with a NET just 4 points separating from Loyola Chicago. We can't simply replace the outgoing transfers like Leggett. We must have much better overall incoming talent than outgoing. Right now coming in must be greater than outgoing Leggett, Freeman, Martin, Carey and TBA departures. Much better and soon. Playing time is readily available. The Now Hiring sign is out!!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Agreed. Much better. You can't do any of that stuff with the current players. Most of these players were filler. So you didn't have to start off like Baron's first year, without a single player over 6'5".

And yes, the recruiting strategy is evolving, not just for URI either.

Look at the bright side: everyone foolishly giving tens of thousands of dollars every year to these NILs won't have to anymore, when that player leaves.

Now, when it is announced where Ish is going, if it is a P5 school, even if it is Maryland, we wish him well. End of story. The people on this site like to fantasize they are friends with the players, well then, be their friend when it matters most for them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The old way of building a team is long gone.

That's what Archie did at Dayton

He has to adjust to the new reality now.

Just because he's a good coach doesn't guarantee squat.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Ok, so what do we have to offer recruits? Playing time and? This is a bit of uncharted territory for the A10 coaches recruiting as a 1 bid league.

This is where having more NIL money than your peers comes in. Just being at there level isn’t going to cut it for us in our situation.

But I also agree it appears most NIL collectives are mostly funded by a handful of donors and the average fan throwing in $50 or even a few hundred each is like bringing a bucket of sand to the beach. Unless you have a huge, dedicated and enthusiast fan base.
How much NIL money did Fordham and Duquesne have to bring in the players that helped them turn things around?

Seriously people need to calm the fuck down about NIL. It's really not that big of a deal
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Ok, so what do we have to offer recruits? Playing time and? This is a bit of uncharted territory for the A10 coaches recruiting as a 1 bid league.

How much NIL money did Fordham and Duquesne have to bring in the players that helped them turn things around?

Seriously people need to calm the fuck down about NIL. It's really not that big of a deal
If you think that the new transfer rules along with the NIL aren’t a big deal then you are missing the boat. The transfer rule more than the NIL have taken the fun out of the sport. Players now can leave their program every year without having to sit out a season. I guess every season we have to plan on 10 new players. I wouldn’t say Fordham and Duquense turned anything around. They went from pathetic to in the upper division in a poor conference with neither of them making the NIT.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last year Duquesne went 1-16 in a bad A10, this year they went 10-8 in a slightly worse A10. If you don't consider that turning things around, then I don't know what to tell you
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Mid majors are still retaining players. Look outside URI and there are examples everywhere. Mid majors are still playing in March turn on the TV today and you will see some.

Yes the Portal and NIL have changed roster construction and more than ever a coach has to be a GM moreso than a recruiter. But good coaches and good programs will still compete for bids in March. We have a good coach now we need to improve the program.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Last year Duquesne went 1-16 in a bad A10, this year they went 10-8 in a slightly worse A10. If you don't consider that turning things around, then I don't know what to tell you
It would only be a turnaround if they kept it up which they won’t. Wasn’t the goal to make the NCAA tourney or even the less desired NIT? If you are building with freshman and each year you get better it is growth. If not than you are right back where you started
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

i've said it before and I'll say it again, we've got the beach and Jersey girls. However, no one goes to the beach in the winter and Jersey girls are, well, still Jersey girls.

seriously though, where is Inskip with the cars?? Flood, Masse?

Restaurants with the tables and meals? 'think bigger' than Gansett Wraps.

I think local NIL opportunities are out there, what is the athletic dept doing to go secure them?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

i've said it before and I'll say it again, we've got the beach and Jersey girls. However, no one goes to the beach in the winter and Jersey girls are, well, still Jersey girls.

I think local NIL opportunities are out there, what is the athletic dept doing to go secure them?
I mean, literally within the last month you had a handful of players posting pictures of themselves at Coast Guard House with our NIL's hashtag
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I mean, literally within the last month you had a handful of players posting pictures of themselves at Coast Guard House with our NIL's hashtag
Welp, lotta people never saw it, so, literally, not publicized enough?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Maybe I’m in the minority, but as an adult I am not following college kids on social media. I truly question the actual value companies get from 99% of these deals. The ones where I assume the players only get money if people use their code make sense, but I doubt the players make much.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I’m in the minority, but as an adult I am not following college kids on social media.
Because by then it's too late? So, start following in HS?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For the 11,000th time the key to NIL is the Collectives (organized booster run fundraising arms) not securing deals with Kingston Wraps. Those things local marketing deals will happen and we have the infrastructure to do that (I.e. Opendorse) but that is chump change. The Collectives is the arms race and to my knowledge we are up and running like our peer institutions.

Can we put the NIL boogeyman to bed please. No one on VCU isn’t attainable to us bc of NIL. Same for Nevada, Charleston, Boise State, and host of other tournament teams. We don’t need more NIL we need more guys that can hit threes.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Maybe I’m in the minority, but as an adult I am not following college kids on social media.
Because by then it's too late? So, start following in HS?
Hahaha…no
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For the 11,000th time the key to NIL is the Collectives (organized booster run fundraising arms) not securing deals with Kingston Wraps. Those things local marketing deals will happen and we have the infrastructure to do that (I.e. Opendorse) but that is chump change. The Collectives is the arms race and to my knowledge we are up and running like our peer institutions.

Can we put the NIL boogeyman to bed please. No one on VCU isn’t attainable to us bc of NIL. Same for Nevada, Charleston, Boise State, and host of other tournament teams. We don’t need more NIL we need more guys that can hit threes.
What service(s) are collectives paying the kids for? What is the collective getting of value in return?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

If we are in a results base business on the floor, off the floor, and with NIL, than we are failing. that's reality.

NIL matters. we don't need to like it but we do need to accept it.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

unless they were with Livvy Dunne, I guess i missed it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If we are in a results base business on the floor, off the floor, and with NIL, than we are failing. that's reality.

NIL matters. we don't need to like it but we do need to accept it.
For sure, innovate or die. But to be clear Rhody has a Collective and is playing in this space.