The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Don’t care how you spin it, this sucks. Leggett will shine for Maryland next year. I miss the guys that stuck around when being recruited over: Jarvis Garrett comes to mind.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There was no NIL back then.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago Don’t care how you spin it, this sucks. Leggett will shine for Maryland next year. I miss the guys that stuck around when being recruited over: Jarvis Garrett comes to mind.
David Cox gets his revenge!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago It may be that the mid majors will not be able to compete with the majors when it comes to NIL money. All players want to know how much for them. They don’t care about practice facilities, charters, arenas, etc anymore. Show them the money. What would a $2M yearly NIL pool do for our recruiting?
I'd play in D1 games at the defunct roller rink in Narragansett and lift weights at Steve's Gym if I was getting the NIL money I thought I deserved.
Personally, am grateful to be getting the money I am, without my NIL being all over the place
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I only hope Leggett is being recruited over but I can’t see it at this moment.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We will replace our departing players with similar flawed players.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I understand Leggetts situation and I like the kid, but you can throw out the “Captain” possibility.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago It may be that the mid majors will not be able to compete with the majors when it comes to NIL money. All players want to know how much for them. They don’t care about practice facilities, charters, arenas, etc anymore. Show them the money. What would a $2M yearly NIL pool do for our recruiting?
Pretty hilarious how we’re now getting a practice facility when it’ll mean little in recruiting going forward.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Pretty hilarious how we’re now getting a practice facility when it’ll mean little in recruiting going forward.
Look what the state of the art practice facility did for G’town
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Look what the state of the art practice facility did for G’town
Got them HC Easy Ed?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago This portapalooza nonsense is ruining the college game for this loyal Rhody fan.part of the fun of the game is watching a student athlete grow and improve over his 4 year career. Talk about something spiraling out of control. Don't have the solution, but it is ruining the sport for this old timer. Maybe time to jump in the fan portal and root for a different team every year.
I'll be a Rhody fan 'til the day I die, But I agree, it's ruining the sport for me. All of my favorite players over the years are guys I've watched come in as freshmen and then followedand rooted for, for 4 years (or in Sly's case, 3). This sucks. I hate it.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Panic yesterday that no one was transferring, panic today that Ish is transferring. This place is great.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Billyboy there will be very few players at any school who play 4 years anymore
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Billyboy there will be very few players at any school who play 4 years anymore
I know. Hard to root for a team when there are so many changes every year. Like I said, I'll always be a Rhody fan, but there will never again be a Jiggy Williamson, Silk Owens, Tommy Garrick, Kenny Green, Tyson Wheeler, etc. EC Matthews, Jared Terrell and Jeff Dowtin will be the last 3 players inducted into our recently formed Ring of Honor. After they are in, it's done. Sad.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago This portapalooza nonsense is ruining the college game for this loyal Rhody fan.part of the fun of the game is watching a student athlete grow and improve over his 4 year career. Talk about something spiraling out of control. Don't have the solution, but it is ruining the sport for this old timer. Maybe time to jump in the fan portal and root for a different team every year.
I'll be a Rhody fan 'til the day I die, But I agree, it's ruining the sport for me. All of my favorite players over the years are guys I've watched come in as freshmen and then followedand rooted for, for 4 years (or in Sly's case, 3). This sucks. I hate it.
Me too, 78.

Well said.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
If you want to follow a college player for 4 years*, that really grows and improves...that is exactly what you're going to have to do...fan portal it.
It's a new ball game. See: pitch clock (which might just be the best thing to ever happen to baseball).

*Just for a fun drill, try to name a player, anywhere, that someone else has ever heard of as a 'good player', that is in his 3rd year with the same team...
From our league- Ace Baldwin, Yuri Collins, Gibson Jimerson come to mind. Burton just finished his 4th year at Richmond and had plenty of options to transfer after last season. There are others for sure. Good coaches of winning programs will be able to retain good players. We have the coach but the program isn't in the best spot to be a compelling destination right now.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
If you want to follow a college player for 4 years*, that really grows and improves...that is exactly what you're going to have to do...fan portal it.
It's a new ball game. See: pitch clock (which might just be the best thing to ever happen to baseball).

*Just for a fun drill, try to name a player, anywhere, that someone else has ever heard of as a 'good player', that is in his 3rd year with the same team...
From our league- Ace Baldwin, Yuri Collins, Gibson Jimerson come to mind. Burton just finished his 4th year at Richmond and had plenty of options to transfer after last season. There are others for sure. Good coaches of winning programs will be able to retain good players. We have the coach but the program isn't in the best spot to be a compelling destination right now.
Yup, Yuri Collins was thiiiiiiis close to going to Tennessee but withdrew from the portal when St Louis got him more NIL money.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
This is just hilarious.

Names a ton of schools, then says he’s been contacted by a ton more.
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This is just hilarious.

Names a ton of schools, then says he’s been contacted by a ton more.
If this is true, for an "OK" level player, we are fucked as fans of URI.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This entire portal world is insane. College basketball has turned into EBay.
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Now more than ever a mid major program needs momentum. You increase your chance of competing for good transfers when your team is and has been good. People like the idea of joining a winning culture.

With that in mind it’s even harder to create momentum. Any good freshmen you bring in and develop will have ample opportunity to leave if their timeline isn’t matching up with yours.

URI shot themselves in the foot not capitalizing when we last had momentum. Now Archie has to scratch and claw to recreate some. And if/when he does, people better push this program harder than ever for nothing short of ongoing excellence
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wonder who contacted him on behalf of Georgetown? Cooley’s agent?

;)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Me too, 78.

Well said.
I have said this all along also

It’s so nauseating

ruins college hoops
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago We will replace our departing players with similar flawed players.
Sounds like you’ve given up on the program??
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Heard about it last week I knew it was upon us
[/quote

Did this happen right after Archie’s meeting with him and the other players? Not a good omen for Archie’s credibility!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It's a good thing that Marriot commercial with the Rhody mascot is still airing, because that's going to be our only tournament appearance for quite some time.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

Did this happen right after Archie’s meeting with him and the other players? Not a good omen for Archie’s credibility
Uh idk and how is it not a good omen, the kid played his heart out this year and doesn’t want to stick around and waste the rest of his years on losing teams, pretty similar to fatts when he left after his fourth year, but I think he’s challenging Archie to get him a supporting cast and if he doesn’t he’s gone, and I will say the coaching staff has been working hard ever since ish posted he’s transferring this afternoon, hearing rumblings about visits being set up soon for a particular player, but we shall wait and see as I don’t know if it’s 100% confirmed
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Maybe the most valuable assets now will be freshmen who enter the portal. Assuming they won’t be able to get a waiver for a second transfer.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Did this happen right after Archie’s meeting with him and the other players? Not a good omen for Archie’s credibility
Uh idk and how is it not a good omen, the kid played his heart out this year and doesn’t want to stick around and waste the rest of his years on losing teams, pretty similar to fatts when he left after his fourth year, but I think he’s challenging Archie to get him a supporting cast and if he doesn’t he’s gone, and I will say the coaching staff has been working hard ever since ish posted he’s transferring this afternoon, hearing rumblings about visits being set up soon for a particular player, but we shall wait and see as I don’t know if it’s 100% confirmed
I hope it didn’t take the meeting with Ish for our staff to realize they needed to work hard and upgrade the roster. I’m guessing they figured that out somewhere between Game 1 and 2.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Now more than ever a mid major program needs momentum. You increase your chance of competing for good transfers when your team is and has been good. People like the idea of joining a winning culture.

With that in mind it’s even harder to create momentum. Any good freshmen you bring in and develop will have ample opportunity to leave if their timeline isn’t matching up with yours.

URI shot themselves in the foot not capitalizing when we last had momentum. Now Archie has to scratch and claw to recreate some. And if/when he does, people better push this program harder than ever for nothing short of ongoing excellence
Interesting post, Kingston.

We aren’t relevant presently and neither is the conference. It is a bad time to be bad in the A10. Not a good position to be in in this dog eat dog, portalpalooza crazy process.

March Madness and dancing - almost every basketball players dream - is happening and we aren’t involved. And, our whole 15 team conference has one participant that might win a game before the conference disappears from March Madness into obscurity until next season starts the process over again.

We will get back eventually (longer than I initially thought), I believe, but the room for error is getting thinner and thinner for Rhody (other teams programs in the A10) and the conference. Scratch and claw is an apt description.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch has his work cut out for sure but if I know his work ethic he will put his head down and grind and try to get some talent in here
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Maybe the most valuable assets now will be freshmen who enter the portal. Assuming they won’t be able to get a waiver for a second transfer.
I don’t know if they are or will be most valuable to attract to the program, but certainly an important ingredient to success with grad transfers, soph, junior and senior imports.

Also, I am not ready to give up on freshman (not that I think you are) coming into the program. When we get up to speed on NIL offerings and are starting to compete for NCAAT bids again we could have players staying 3 - 4 years again, I think.

Once we are good again I think sustainability will be critical because,imho, it is getting harder and harder to climb back up thanks to the P5.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

The last good transfer we had was Stanford Robinson.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Get the right kids, the right coach and together they could win playing on a blacktop parking lot.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago We will replace our departing players with similar flawed players.
Sounds like you’ve given up on the program??
Probably not, maybe just keeping it real…….the “we/ll be good, when we’re good…..” took a hit I think
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We are at the beginning of this rebuild. Ish leaving did not impact it since we were 2-3 years out anyway. But the time is now to start bringing in some talent. The coach has stated it. This off-season is critical; he has to get things moving in the right direction.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I hope it didn’t take the meeting with Ish for our staff to realize they needed to work hard and upgrade the roster. I’m guessing they figured that out somewhere between Game 1 and 2.
Agreed since they were offering JUCO bigs in early December
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We want to be good again?

Better have a bunch of cash then.

Sorry but them's the facts.

Are we in a position to basically outbid other programs for talent?

That's the question like it or not

Rapidly losing interest in college BB, sad to say.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If y'all are incredibly worried about NILs really effecting competitive balance, well, then you shouldn't want the transfer rules to be tightened - because it'll shut down an avenue for mid-majors to acquire talented players on other rosters. For legal reasons, NIL isn't going away, unless the NCAA decides to give up the massive amount of revenue its earning from television contracts. (The crux of the Ed O'Bannon case that paved the way for this is that NCAA schools were making billions of dollars of revenue off of players, and just tuition isn't adequate compensation.)

More fluidity in the player transfer market is ultimately going to help us, once we have the right infrastructure in place. Hurley managed to get Iverson and Stan Robinson here even though they both had to sit. He probably could have done even better if guys didn't have to sit. I think Miller will get those kind of talents eventually too. As a wise man once sang, the waiting is the hardest part, though.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Billyboy there will be very few players at any school who play 4 years anymore
I know. Hard to root for a team when there are so many changes every year. Like I said, I'll always be a Rhody fan, but there will never again be a Jiggy Williamson, Silk Owens, Tommy Garrick, Kenny Green, Tyson Wheeler, etc. EC Matthews, Jared Terrell and Jeff Dowtin will be the last 3 players inducted into our recently formed Ring of Honor. After they are in, it's done. Sad.
EC, Jared, and Jeff will be the last 3 inducted into the Ring of Honor? Good lord, melodramatic much?

Maybe URI should just shut down the basketball program or leave division 1? I mean reading this message board it's become obvious that we can't possibly ever compete in division 1 basketball ever again
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Like seriously, did we think the coaching staff was hanging out at Bon Vue and then when Ish hit the portal put down their 7th beer of the day and said shit, maybe we should get down to doing something? Archie said right after our game ended last week that he was going right to recruiting and we've seen our name with most every transfer player that hits the portal
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lol...maybe Arch should have "franchise tagged" him. Is that a thing yet?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Or, maybe during the blue white scrimmage like most of us that went did?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Like seriously, did we think the coaching staff was hanging out at Bon Vue and then when Ish hit the portal put down their 7th beer of the day and said shit, maybe we should get down to doing something? Archie said right after our game ended last week that he was going right to recruiting and we've seen our name with most every transfer player that hits the portal
I think you're right...I was there at BV, reading the board, and I saw them and asked about the tweet showing Ish hitting the Portalet. And one of them did say, "oh sh--, we gotta go" and then they all left in a hurry, with Arch saying something about putting it on KJs tab...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know you won't mention a name until it's confirmed. But has this player been discussed on here before? Or is this someone we don't know about yet?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If Dino and I have the same intel, it's a player that has been discussed on here.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EC, Jared, and Jeff will be the last 3 inducted into the Ring of Honor? Good lord, melodramatic much?

Maybe URI should just shut down the basketball program or leave division 1? I mean reading this message board it's become obvious that we can't possibly ever compete in division 1 basketball ever again
I honestly believe they will be the last three. Do you really see someone who is a great player that deserves to be in a Ring of Honor staying here for 4 years? If someone is great here for 2 years, then transfers to get the money they want/deserve, they're not going into OUR Ring.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago If Dino and I have the same intel, it's a player that has been discussed on here.
You are indeed correct
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I honestly believe they will be the last three. Do you really see someone who is a great player that deserves to be in a Ring of Honor staying here for 4 years? If someone is great here for 2 years, then transfers to get the money they want/deserve, they're not going into OUR Ring.
I do. Look at schools winning in the A10 now, they're keeping most of their players. We've been losing players because of bad coaching (Cox) and a losing program, but that will change