2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Georgetown and the Bigheaded East would be a step down from Penn State and the Big 10.
That is blatantly false and you know that.

Yea, Georgetown basketball is a step down from Penn St basketball.

Nailed it.
Bullshit. The Bigheaded East has money; the Big 10 has GOBS of money.
If you actually think Georgetown is a step down from Penn St you don’t know much about anything.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
UNH, where coaches’ careers go to die. Back in the day Gerry Friel was a maniac. I don’t know how he lasted 20 years with a .360 winning percentage.
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I mean yeah, he's been there 18 years, has a 133-163 conference record, and hasn't been better than 3rd in the regular season, so at this point you know what you're getting. That said, he's been 3rd or 4th 7 out of the last 9 seasons with those disadvantages. Maybe fund the basketball team to division 1 levels before moving on from the head coach
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Nailed it.
If you actually think Georgetown is a step down from Penn St you don’t know much about anything.
Yeah, OK.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yeah, OK.

I can promise you every single college basketball fan and media member in America would not say Georgetown is a step down from Penn St.

But you’re one of those people who is completely bias against the Big East, so I’m not shocked you’re saying this.

I hope you’re trolling, because if not, you are absolutely clueless.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Either this is the greatest wartime diversionary tactic since WW2 to deflect attention from his players onto himself at a most critical time.

Or he’s allowing a massive distraction to hover over this team that could affect their performance.

Why would he do this if he was definitely coming back? Does he not want to beat Kentucky? The longer it’s not addressed the more real it becomes.
Hey, the more of a cluster it becomes, the better, right? Really, the only thing that would be more fun to follow at this point would be the boneyard if there was speculation of Hurls taking a look at another gig
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago If Cooley goes I have no doubt Pitino will return to Providence.
That would be awesome... Let the locals watch that guy thrive just up the road a bit 👍
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rick's agent is salivating at the idea of a PC vs SJU bidding war for his services.
Supposedly they are using alleged interest from Texas Tech to drive up the price tho most don't think Pitino would move to Lubbock at this point.
It's all a sinister web of texts/calls agents and intermediaries but it does make for great entertainment.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago If Cooley goes I have no doubt Pitino will return to Providence.
That would be awesome... Let the locals watch that guy thrive just up the road a bit 👍
No way, Slick Rick is a NYC guy, would love to finish his career in the Big Apple. He wouldn’t have to move and would love to bring back StJohn’s, he always admired Louie.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
I mean yeah, he's been there 18 years, has a 133-163 conference record, and hasn't been better than 3rd in the regular season, so at this point you know what you're getting. That said, he's been 3rd or 4th 7 out of the last 9 seasons with those disadvantages. Maybe fund the basketball team to division 1 levels before moving on from the head coach
UNH has never really ever been good in men's basketball. The program has never appeared in either the NCAA or NIT Tournaments. Rhody has the lopsided record of 96-18 (.842) against them.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Friars fan forum is a frantic mess, tough spot.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The funny part of their discourse is this belief that he wouldn't leave because he will be hated in RI if he takes the job. He will be hated by a few thousand PC season ticket holders. That's about it. That leaves about 900K other Rhode Islanders who won't care. Like some PVD school teacher who loves Ed is all of a sudden going to hate him and boo him if she sees him at Stop n Shop bc he took the bag and went to Georgetown. LOL.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When the seismic shift to football schools taking all their sports and creating their own national monopoly occurs all non-football schools will be unable to compete. So there’s that.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Friars fan forum is a frantic mess, tough spot.
Hate to see it....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Easy Ed in Gtown....Rick to the Johnnies....who does that leave for FryVille?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Easy Ed in Gtown....Rick to the Johnnies....who does that leave for FryVille?
Donovan
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Good for Fordham. I was wondering what they were going to do. Good sign. Now, more steps forward, FU; don’t stop there.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nailed it.
Not knowing much about anything? That’s a bit overboard (as in hyperbolic), 15, quite honestly.

As to GU / PSU, GU has the much richer bb history and pedigree to this point however, one could make the argument that with all the changes happening- based on realignment, NIL, etc - that PSU COULD be a better job and program going forward into the future. I may not necessarily agree with that or not but it is not out of the realm of possibility and therefore, not an indication of someone not knowing much about anything.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Not knowing much about anything? That’s a bit overboard, 15, quite honestly.

As to GU / PSU, GU has the much richer bb history and pedigree to this point however, one could make the argument that with all the changes happening- based on realignment, NIL, etc - that PSU COULD be a better job and program going forward into the future. I may not necessarily agree with that or not but it is not out of the realm of possibility and therefore, not an indication of someone not knowing much about anything.
I guess I’ll clarify, anything about college basketball*

They make the tournament for the 10th time ever and people talking about it being a better gig than Georgetown.

It is completely out of the realm of possibility it could be better than GT.

Nobody in the national media would agree with that.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's such a great job but there is zero chance, I repeat zero, that Cooley entertains it? Got it.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

15, You made a good, solid point regarding GU but can’t seem to help yourself by insulting the other poster.

I am going to take a page from your book and be hyperbolic:

What I think is out of the realm of possibility is you never being hyperbolic on here.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago 15, You made a good, solid point regarding GU but can’t seem to help yourself by insulting the other poster.

I am going to take a page from your book and be hyperbolic:

What I think is out of the realm of possibility is you never being hyperbolic on here.
That’s my issue. The insults are completely unnecessary and rude yet it continues to happen. You can just disagree with someone without the extra insults… People do it on here allll the time.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It's such a great job but there is zero chance, I repeat zero, that Cooley entertains it? Got it.
Hahah great point BAR
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

15s definition of "level headed" is unnecessarily obnoxious.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Cooley didn't entertain interest from Michigan, he is not going entertain interest from Penn State. That Gt is not a football school is a plus for Cooley.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not knowing much about anything? That’s a bit overboard (as in hyperbolic), 15, quite honestly.

I often agree with you, but I don't think Penn State is, or will ever be, a better job than Georgetown...
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Cooley didn't entertain interest from Michigan, he is not going entertain interest from Penn State. That Gt is not a football school is a plus for Cooley.
72, you and a few others here seem to be missing the point. I suggest going back to the previous page and reading Ace’s question she posted and Red’s response. Hint: Shrewsbury.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago As to GU / PSU, GU has the much richer bb history and pedigree to this point however, one could make the argument that with all the changes happening- based on realignment, NIL, etc - that PSU COULD be a better job and program going forward into the future. I may not necessarily agree with that or not but it is not out of the realm of possibility and therefore, not an indication of someone not knowing much about anything.
This.

As the Cartel takes more and more control over college sports -- or breaks entirely from the NCAA -- there will be two classes of schools: the Cartel, with all the money and all the television, and everyone else. BCS football -- and the TV ratings it generates -- will call all the shots. Money talks, tradition walks.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago As to GU / PSU, GU has the much richer bb history and pedigree to this point however, one could make the argument that with all the changes happening- based on realignment, NIL, etc - that PSU COULD be a better job and program going forward into the future. I may not necessarily agree with that or not but it is not out of the realm of possibility and therefore, not an indication of someone not knowing much about anything.
This.

As the Cartel takes more and more control over college sports -- or breaks entirely from the NCAA -- there will be two classes of schools: the Cartel, with all the money and all the television, and everyone else. BCS football -- and the TV ratings it generates -- will call all the shots. Money talks, tradition walks.
but, for the foreseeable future at least, Georgetown will remain at least one step above PSU.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Cooley didn't entertain interest from Michigan, he is not going entertain interest from Penn State. That Gt is not a football school is a plus for Cooley.
72, you and a few others here seem to be missing the point. I suggest going back to the previous page and reading Ace’s question she posted and Red’s response. Hint: Shrewsbury.
We'll see.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago 15s definition of "level headed" is unnecessarily obnoxious.
I just can’t stand when people post things that are just so outlandish.

Saying Penn St is a better basketball job than Georgetown is ridiculous.

And maybe Cooley does leave and I’m wrong.

I guess I just can’t see “Mr Providence” with all the bullshit he’s spewed over the years about PC, that he’d actually leave.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago 15s definition of "level headed" is unnecessarily obnoxious.

I guess I just can’t see “Mr Providence” and all the bullshit he’s spewed over the years about PC that he’d actually leave.
one out of two ain't all bad! ;) (Easy Ed is gone. Toppin time! - is going to end his RI coaching career)
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

I often agree with you, but I don't think Penn State is, or will ever be, a better job than Georgetown...
I here ya. I don’t think so either. I just think that it’s not impossible but, (I admit a big but) many domino’s would have to fall for that to ever happen. We aren’t that far apart. I am just not as absolute as you on it. 👍

I get where Red was coming from. He was seeing the dollars available to PSU being in a richer conference and has no love for the BE - which I completely understand and lived through from both sides having extended family high in PC Admin at the time of the BE’s formation and committing to go to college at Rhody at the same time. My disdain for the BE will never fade and, I’ll admit, can cloud my judgement.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I guess I just can’t see “Mr Providence” with all the bullshit he’s spewed over the years about PC, that he’d actually leave.
Hurley spewed the same bs about URI. Hell, his wife was crying after they lost in the NCAAT and we all knew he was gone. She seemed happy here. Sorry pal, money talks.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Hurley spewed the same bs about URI. Hell, his wife was crying after they lost in the NCAAT and we all knew he was gone. She seemed happy here. Sorry pal, money talks.
Lol just a tad different with Hurley being from NJ and Cooley from Providence.

Completely two different scenarios.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Potential disarray at PC is nothing to be sorry for.... ;)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And Mack was an Ohio kid and alum of Xavier and took the first bus out of town to Louisville.
This stuff happens all the time. Maybe just maybe Ed wants to spend some time out of RI. Rub elbows with the President. Hang at the Kennedy Center. Coach at a school that was a cultural phenomenon in his formative years (80s/90s). Be in a much bigger pond. His hometown is Providence not Palm Springs. People leave.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

And Mack was an Ohio kid and alum of Xavier and took the first bus out of town to Louisville.
This stuff happens all the time. Maybe just maybe Ed wants to spend some time out of RI. Rub elbows with the President. Hang at the Kennedy Center. Coach at a school that was a cultural phenomenon in his formative years (80s/90s). Be in a much bigger pond. His hometown is Providence not Palm Springs. People leave.
And look how that worked out.

“Don’t mess with happy” as they say.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Sure...and hindsight is 20/20.

All I will say is if you have seen these things go down and paid attention this has all the markings of a coach that is going to leave.
He is basically sabotaging his team's chances this weekend by allowing this to hover over the program.
He could have put this to bed and chose not to. And is still choosing not to. If it's all a plot to get a better deal at PC it's really an unsavory way to do it and I don't think that's what it is.

But just for shits and giggles are we still at zero percent, zero?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sure...and hindsight is 20/20.

All I will say is if you have seen these things go down and paid attention this has all the markings of a coach that is going to leave.
He is basically sabotaging his team's chances this weekend by allowing this to hover over the program.
He could have put this to bed and chose not to. And is still choosing not to. If it's all a plot to get a better deal at PC it's really an unsavory way to do it and I don't think that's what it is.

But just for shits and giggles are we still at zero percent, zero?
Zero! Nada! Zilch!
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

At least you're consistent.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Leave Eddie just leave , I need something to be happy about after Ish tossed his name into the portal
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For what it’s worth

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago For what it’s worth

Can’t trust any of the twitter randoms. But if you listen to Goodman he’s already gone from “it won’t happen” to “I’m hearing it could happen.” Guys like him aren’t tossing things against the wall. They have contacts inside and are getting real intel. When offer details are leaked it’s not just rumor.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can’t trust any of the twitter randoms. But if you listen to Goodman he’s already gone from “it won’t happen” to “I’m hearing it could happen.” Guys like him aren’t tossing things against the wall. They have contacts inside and are getting real intel. When offer details are leaked it’s not just rumor.
This kid reminds me of the A10 talk guy who guaranteed Kimani Young would coach UMass.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Up to 44 pages on Friar Board. Read on page 44 the past by rjsuperfly66 and a couple other recent additions on page 44.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 5/?page=44
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 5/?page=44

There's some good fretting in there and understandably so....
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have to think there will soon be a lot of speculation that Cooley's contract negotiations with Georgetown were a reason why their season took a nosedive at the end. They haven't won a game since their visit to Georgetown in DC on Sunday Feb 26. Have since lost at home to both Xavier and Seton Hall and at MSG to UConn. All the recent rumors would suggest that Ed may have been very distracted in the last few weeks. Could PC hoops have paid the price for Cooley losing his focus?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I have to think there will soon be a lot of speculation that Cooley's contract negotiations with Georgetown were a reason why their season took a nosedive at the end. They haven't won a game since their visit to Georgetown in DC on Sunday Feb 26. Have since lost at home to both Xavier and Seton Hall and at MSG to UConn. All the recent rumors would suggest that Ed may have been very distracted in the last few weeks. Could PC hoops have paid the price for Cooley losing his focus?
Such a shame.... :lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ed Cooley cares so much about his Providence reputation and being loved in Friartown that he is allowing a massive distraction to hover over his team in a game against a blue blood that they have a very good chance of winning. Does that sound right?