2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

This season was always going to be a mulligan for Coach Miller. That said, it was very disappointing. Next year we need to see a big step forward. With two nice looking recruits coming in, and the potential to bring some key players in through the portal, I think we can move up the A10 standings next year. It's has always been about year 2 and beyond with our new coach. Have faith!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Amir Abdur-Rahim, head coach at Kennesaw State, coaching record for the 4 seasons he's been on the job after replacing Al Skinner:

2019–20 Kennesaw State 1–28 0–16 9th
2020–21 Kennesaw State 5–19 2–13 9th
2021–22 Kennesaw State 13–18 7–9 T–4th (East)
2022–23 Kennesaw State 26–8 15–3 T–1st

Just like with David Cox, I'll wait on Archie Miller for 4 years and then we can pass judgement. Until then, I will chill out and wait it out. Stressing out and posting about every missed shot, turnover, timeout you think Archie should've taken, can't miss recruit/transfer that URI gets or misses on, etc.

Archie is a high character individual and he certainly knows where the program is at, where it needs to go, and has a plan to get it there. Next year is not a big year. Next year is another step, that's all that it is.

He has my 100% support.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago This season was always going to be a mulligan for Coach Miller. That said, it was very disappointing. Next year we need to see a big step forward. With two nice looking recruits coming in, and the potential to bring some key players in through the portal, I think we can move up the A10 standings next year. It's has always been about year 2 and beyond with our new coach. Have faith!
Well we certainly can’t really move down!
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If we were all rational about the rebuild this thread would have 2 pages, if it even existed.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Just coming out of hibernation and didn’t know the BE has advantages! Glad Dan didn’t know that! Seriously, I wasn’t expecting 2 top 100 recruits, but I was certainly expecting better than what we ended up with.

Ok, if the pack line excuse is overblown, which was an excuse people were using, then these kids just are not good at rebounding and defending. Once again, America East recruits for an A10 team.
Some of you are so obsessed with the top 100 recruits. We need Archie to land a couple of cornerstone players. It can be a first-year player, transfer, or juco with any ranking. I don’t care.

We all expected better. That doesn’t mean that every recruit coming in is gonna be a letdown. I still believe in his ability to bring in talent.

I think Cam Estevez could be a big part of our future. Im sure you and others instantly think he’s nothing special because of a star rating that a random website gave him, but I think we are getting a very good player.

I like Connor as well.

If the rumor is true that we are getting that 3rd SG, that will give us 3 incoming guards that can shoot the rock. My guess is Archie may want to land an older immediate impact PG as well as it's tough to rely on true freshman.

We may need another wing, but I hope Weston is our starting SF next year. He showed in the last game that when he has a role, he can make an impact. He's only going to get better

Some people gave up on Rory, but as many of us said, he actually can shoot! He will be a nice piece moving forward

I like Alex, but as I said, I heard the staff knows they need to upgrade the position, and he may be moving on. I hope he stays

Foumena will be raw, but he’ll be the post-presence we need eventually

So I like some of our pieces, but Archie has to land some of his top targets this off-season.

If all our players suck next year and he has a bunch of recruiting misses, then I’ll start to agree with some of the negative people on here, but I think we will have a better team and better pieces to build upon.
It was illustrative just to compare what one Miller did compared to the other while both being unemployed for a year. As the year off was a common reason for the lack of impact players in this class. The one who was not alleged to have cheated didn’t do as well.

I don’t care about ratings either, those are just for off season hype. I’m not sure what to think about Connor, if it’s true he had to transfer because he wasn’t playing enough at the first prep school…is his current one as good?
If I’m not wrong Sunrise Christian is a very good prep school (someone correct me if I’m wrong ) seen decent players come out of there before
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Some of you are so obsessed with the top 100 recruits. We need Archie to land a couple of cornerstone players. It can be a first-year player, transfer, or juco with any ranking. I don’t care.

We all expected better. That doesn’t mean that every recruit coming in is gonna be a letdown. I still believe in his ability to bring in talent.

I think Cam Estevez could be a big part of our future. Im sure you and others instantly think he’s nothing special because of a star rating that a random website gave him, but I think we are getting a very good player.

I like Connor as well.

If the rumor is true that we are getting that 3rd SG, that will give us 3 incoming guards that can shoot the rock. My guess is Archie may want to land an older immediate impact PG as well as it's tough to rely on true freshman.

We may need another wing, but I hope Weston is our starting SF next year. He showed in the last game that when he has a role, he can make an impact. He's only going to get better

Some people gave up on Rory, but as many of us said, he actually can shoot! He will be a nice piece moving forward

I like Alex, but as I said, I heard the staff knows they need to upgrade the position, and he may be moving on. I hope he stays

So I like some of our pieces, but Archie has to land some of his top targets this off-season.

If all our players suck next year and he has a bunch of recruiting misses, then I’ll start to agree with some of the negative people on here, but I think we will have a better team and better pieces to build upon.
It was illustrative just to compare what one Miller did compared to the other while both being unemployed for a year. As the year off was a common reason for the lack of impact players in this class. The one who was not alleged to have cheated didn’t do as well.

I don’t care about ratings either, those are just for off season hype. I’m not sure what to think about Connor, if it’s true he had to transfer because he wasn’t playing enough at the first prep school…is his current one as good?
If I’m not wrong Sunrise Christian is a very good prep school (someone correct me if I’m wrong ) seen decent players come out of there before
I believe it was stated before he was not playing at the nationally ranked team at Sunrise, but rather the post-grad team at the school.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Clearly you don't know this but it's easier to recruit at a big east program like Xavier compared to an A10 program coming off back-to-back bad seasons. Archie didn't do a good enough job with the recruits but Archie walked into a tougher situation
Just coming out of hibernation and didn’t know the BE has advantages! Glad Dan didn’t know that! Seriously, I wasn’t expecting 2 top 100 recruits, but I was certainly expecting better than what we ended up with.

Ok, if the pack line excuse is overblown, which was an excuse people were using, then these kids just are not good at rebounding and defending. Once again, America East recruits for an A10 team.

I like Connor as well.

Wait so let me get this straight.

According to you, we’re not suppose to trust a “random website” for star rankings when people making those rankings are getting paid to do that.

So instead, we’re supposed to trust you, a random person who’s a fan of URI?

That’s literally what you’re saying, which is hilarious to me.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I like Connor as well.

According to you, we’re not suppose to trust a “random website” for star rankings when people making those rankings are getting paid to do that.

Oh he is?

To me it's pretty clear he's just saying you can't just write off a player because they're a 3 star and not EC Matthews or Jared Terrell.

Like you can't be serious or do you just invent shit in your head to give you a reason to be a cock?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Is Xavier playing the pack line? I assume they are since it’s a Miller family staple. If they are running it, how did they learn it so quick? Or did Sean adapt to his players?

Also, Sean who was out of the game with infraction allegations was able to secure 2 top 100 freshmen. But Archie, being out is an excuse for his poor recruiting.
Clearly you don't know this but it's easier to recruit at a big east program like Xavier compared to an A10 program coming off back-to-back bad seasons. Archie didn't do a good enough job with the recruits but Archie walked into a tougher situation

Hey look RIFan is crying about how none of our players will ever be good at basketball again!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I like Connor as well.

Umm what? When did I say you have to trust me? I'm giving my opinion of the players like anyone else does here.. You can trust whoever you want, but I think it's dumb to assume that a player will only make an impact if they have a top 100 ranking. I think some recruiting sites do a great job, but we have seen plenty of top 100 4-star busts or 2-star/3-star players that end up being studs.

In my opinion, the best way to form an opinion on these players is to watch them in live games, as the highlights tapes can hide a lot of their weaknesses. That's what I try to do. Even then, you never really know how their game will translate to the next level.

What do you think about Cam and Connor's games? Let me guess.. Two American East recruits?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The rebuild starts next year. Miller did well to field a team that was competitive in as many games this season as we were. The team had a poor W/L record but was not a total embarrassment. Once Brayon was dismissed, we played like a team.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I like Connor as well.

15, I think all Stevey was trying to point out is that he likes our 2 recruits and sometimes the stars don't mean everything.
J. Harris was a consensus 4* and H. Martin only had 3 *, who would you rather have?
The coaches use their inner network and contacts in identifying recruits, not by reading media publications and outlets.

I also happen to like both our recruits and glad they signed in the early period.
Dubs was also offered by Maryland and K-State.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

When do they start trying to sell season tix for next year. Good luck to the sales dept making those calls....
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Hey look RIFan is crying about how none of our players will ever be good at basketball again!
Maybe I should be more direct, what I was saying is I didn’t like the results and didn’t buy the excuses. They need to step up…which I think most agree with.

Half the people say it shouldn’t take long to turn things around these days with the portal and others say 4 years, so no consensus there.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The rebuild starts next year. Miller did well to field a team that was competitive in as many games this season as we were. The team had a poor W/L record but was not a total embarrassment. Once Brayon was dismissed, we played like a team.
Someone took their meds today.

Must be cold in hell, because here I am agreeing.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I like Connor as well.

15, I think all Stevey was trying to point out is that he likes our 2 recruits and sometimes the stars don't mean everything.
J. Harris was a consensus 4* and H. Martin only had 3 *, who would you rather have?
The coaches use their inner network and contacts in identifying recruits, not by reading media publications and outlets.

I also happen to like both our recruits and glad they signed in the early period.
Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying, which is obvious. It’s evident to you and Peterram. 15 either doesn’t read or can’t comprehend what I’m saying most of the time. I can’t tell you how many times I repeat myself and explain my point, just like this, after one of his condescending responses to my post. For some reason, 95% of the time, one person doesn’t get what I’m saying…

We all have to remember. He won a prediction contest, and he’s a knowledgeable logical fan. He’s repeatedly said this about himself. Usually, the people that have to keep repeating how great they are at something aren’t.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying, which is obvious. It’s evident to you and Peterram. 15 either doesn’t read or can’t comprehend what I’m saying most of the time. I can’t tell you how many times I repeat myself and explain my point, just like this, after one of his condescending responses to my post. For some reason, 95% of the time, one person doesn’t get what I’m saying…

We all have to remember. He won a prediction contest, and he’s a knowledgeable logical fan. He’s repeatedly said this about himself. Usually, the people that have to keep repeating how great they are at something aren’t.
Ah yes, the reading comprehension angle! Forgot about that one.

And you literally just said you repeat yourself about things, but then take a shot at me for repeating myself on my posts? That makes sense.

We all understand you take hours to watch full prep school games so you can give your take on these kids. You’ve said this multiple times.

I’m not the busiest person in the world nor claim to be, but I don’t want to take time out of my day to watch said games.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

And you literally just said you repeat yourself about things, but then take a shot at me for repeating myself on my posts? That makes sense.

We all understand you take hours to watch full prep school games so you can give your take on these kids. You’ve said this multiple times.

I’m not the busiest person in the world nor claim to be, but I don’t want to take time out of my day to watch said games.
Yet again, you're totally missing what I'm saying. I have to repeat shit to YOU because YOU don't understand or completely change what I'm saying ALL the time. For example, I keep telling YOU I'm not a recruiting expert and enjoy watching the recruits in live games when possible. But you don't seem to get that and keep saying I think I'm an expert or that you all must trust me. Never said that once...

There is a big difference between repeating how knowledgable and logical you think you are and me needing to explain my point repeatedly because you come here to stir up shit, and I'm not gonna back down from you trying to do that to me. If you don't want to watch the games, that's fine, but I do, and I will continue to give my opinion on the players and this team on our message board.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yet again, you're totally missing what I'm saying. I have to repeat shit to YOU because YOU don't understand or completely change what I'm saying ALL the time. For example, I keep telling YOU I'm not a recruiting expert and enjoy watching the recruits in live games when possible. But you don't seem to get that and keep saying I think I'm an expert or that you all must trust me. Never said that once...

There is a big difference between repeating how knowledgable and logical you think you are and me needing to explain my point repeatedly because you come here to stir up shit, and I'm not gonna back down from you trying to do that to me. If you don't want to watch the games, that's fine, but I do, and I will continue to give my opinion on the players and this team on our message board.
Yes Stevey always enjoy your input, keep it up.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

People are obliged to their opinions but I think what they’re trying to get at is that Rankings aren’t worth shit unless your in the top 25 freshman, hell you could be wrong with that as well look at Derek Lively, was supposed to be a lottery pick now he’s projected to be a mid second round pick, he’s saying the coaching staffs probably have their other way of rankings, like for example I’ve given up on 247 ever since Jermaine was a bust and a half, and rather evaluated players on who they are recruited by, no one on this board is saying they are the true talent evaluator, everyone is stating how they look at players and try to evaluate them in there own mind
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

People are obliged to their opinions but I think what they’re trying to get at is that Rankings aren’t worth shit unless your in the top 25 freshman, hell you could be wrong with that as well look at Derek Lively, was supposed to be a lottery pick now he’s projected to be a mid second round pick, he’s saying the coaching staffs probably have their other way of rankings, like for example I’ve given up on 247 ever since Jermaine was a bust and a half, and rather evaluated players on who they are recruited by, no one on this board is saying they are the true talent evaluator, everyone is stating how they look at players and try to evaluate them in there own mind
Harris is a total enigma. Not only was he a 4 star but he was recruited by Xavier (Chris Mack), West Virginia (Bob Huggins), and Cinicnnati (Mick Cronin) - and not for nothing Dan Hurley.

You can't say he was a miss. He just didn't pan out. Sometimes the player can be agreed upon by everyone to be a stud, and they just don't pan out. Just like Dave Cox. Everything about him and his resume said he'd be good. You just don't know for sure until the ball is tipped.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stevey,
Not to be critical but you left out "he is realistic" :lol:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago ... Just like Dave Cox. Everything about him and his resume said he'd be good. You just don't know for sure until the ball is tipped.
How ironic. I opposed the Dave Cox hiring and you apparently were OK with it.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago ... Just like Dave Cox. Everything about him and his resume said he'd be good. You just don't know for sure until the ball is tipped.
How ironic. I opposed the Dave Cox hiring and you apparently were OK with it.
Yes. It's been said about 2400 hundred times. Dave Cox was the right guy for the job at the time. Long time well respected assistant with good recruiting ties and had worked for very good head coaches. He was set up for success. And then after it was proven he wasn't the right guy, you wanted him to be extended and paid more money and I thought we should move on. Who's logic makes more sense?

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Found this stat to be significant as it pertains to our climb out of the basement. The hill isn’t nearly as steep as some are making it out to be. Couple this stat with how we performed vs top of league (VCu, UD, SLU and Fordham) and with a few good pickups in the off-season there is no reason we can’t see significant improvement in the W-L column next year.

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think they’re going to be able to move up in the conference fairly quickly. That doesn’t mean they’ll be as nationally relevant as soon because of what the conference currently is, but it’s a necessary first step and should feel pretty satisfying for fans and players/staff alike.

With some time and perspective, the Cox era was both necessary and not as bad as some perceive it to be, imo. Archie came in and only had to think about pure basketball stuff. No one had to plead their case to avoid NCAA sanctions or review game tape on a VCR or take multiple bus rides to Philly for games in a week. Cox was able to maintain the structural stuff that had been slowly put into place during the previous years. The decision makers knew they had messed up with some of their empty looking promises and threw money and resources at Archie and company. Would it have been nice if that had come earlier? Of course, but all in all, two years of rough looking basketball is a pretty small penalty to pay for what should be eventual sustained success.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ace wrote: 1 year ago The decision makers knew they had messed up with some of their empty looking promises and threw money and resources at Archie and company.
I don't know how true this is. The only "decision maker" that is still at URI from the Hurley years is Thorr and I don't think he wasn't trying to get every penny he could for the program. The difference is a change in the head decision maker. Even then, it's easier for the current president to invest in sports since the previous president left the school/campus in great shape.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago The decision makers knew they had messed up with some of their empty looking promises and threw money and resources at Archie and company.
I don't know how true this is. The only "decision maker" that is still at URI from the Hurley years is Thorr and I don't think he wasn't trying to get every penny he could for the program. The difference is a change in the head decision maker. Even then, it's easier for the current president to invest in sports since the previous president left the school/campus in great shape.
Ace is right in the fact that Cox's driving this program off the cliff in such a short time and stark contrast to Hurley's gave Thorr the ability to say to the new president how good things could be, and how bad they were now.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You can quibble with the who if you think you must, but the truth remains that getting the basketball program to where it could and should be was not going to happen with the empty promises and nothing tangible behind them that had been happening. That lesson could not have been more clear to anyone who was watching.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Its very true.. Rumor is hurley was surprised at what Thorr said during the press conference because some of what was reported as offered was new to him. Not saying thorr wasnt doing the best he could with what he had at the time tho
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I think they’re going to be able to move up in the conference fairly quickly. That doesn’t mean they’ll be as nationally relevant as soon because of what the conference currently is, but it’s a necessary first step and should feel pretty satisfying for fans and players/staff alike.

With some time and perspective, the Cox era was both necessary and not as bad as some perceive it to be, imo. Archie came in and only had to think about pure basketball stuff. No one had to plead their case to avoid NCAA sanctions or review game tape on a VCR or take multiple bus rides to Philly for games in a week. Cox was able to maintain the structural stuff that had been slowly put into place during the previous years. The decision makers knew they had messed up with some of their empty looking promises and threw money and resources at Archie and company. Would it have been nice if that had come earlier? Of course, but all in all, two years of rough looking basketball is a pretty small penalty to pay for what should be eventual sustained success.
If it had come MUCH earlier, would Danny still be here? I'm not sure I want you to answer because if you say yes, it'll piss me off even more that they didn't do it much earlier.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
You can quibble with the who if you think you must, but the truth remains that getting the basketball program to where it could and should be was not going to happen with the empty promises and nothing tangible behind them that had been happening. That lesson could not have been more clear to anyone who was watching.
This isn't semantics and I agree with your overall premise. I was just pointing out that you said lessons were learned when I think no lessons were learned - URI just got a president in who understands the importance of athletics. With a president other than Parlange, it's highly likely Archie isn't here.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

C'mon, let's not do this.

Nothing was going to stop Hurley from going to UConn. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If URI could have given Hurley everything that he wanted, we wouldn't be in the A-10. period. We'd be a P6 school. We do the best with what we have. And I have to give URI credit, and Thorr credit, and the new President credit: that wasn't always the case, not by a long shot.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 1 year ago C'mon, let's not do this.

Nothing was going to stop Hurley from going to UConn. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If URI could have given Hurley everything that he wanted, we wouldn't be in the A-10. period. We'd be a P6 school. We do the best with what we have. And I have to give URI credit, and Thorr credit, and the new President credit: that wasn't always the case, not by a long shot.
Ugh on tournament day we're re-hashing?

Yes, if the same commitment that we made to Archie on day 1 ($750k assistant coaches pool, charters, breaking ground on practice facility) was made on the plane back from California in 2017 - he stays. Once we didn't UConn had their feelers out immediately after that, and Hurley felt like no matter what he did here, he'd never get the support. Calhoun, Tom Moore, all of it happens because we couldn't commit.

Seriously, the guy brought a program using VHS tapes for film when he got here, to their first NCAA appearance and win in almost 2 decades, and the best we could do was a contract extension?

I'll take it to my grave that Hurley was here at least 3 more years - maybe longer if the investments kept up. UConn wouldn't have trumped up the Ollie charges if they didn't know they had their next guy yet. Hurley was always going to go to the place that made it as easy as possible for him to focus on winning basketball games and not having to grind for everything else.

If we could've turned into that place? He'd have stayed. But 2017 was when he realized we were nowhere near offering those kind of commitments.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

did Ace go to Wagner's message board daily and convince them that Hurley never wanted to leave them for URI too?

Sometimes, you just need to change your perspective by a degree or two.

Again, there is no issue with Hurley wanting to go to a P6 school. I don't have a single solitary problem with that. Except for some great memories, there should be no guilt, he's exactly where he ought be. Good for him, I like him.

And commitments aside, I'm sure being on the hot-seat the year before those two dances doesn't exactly give a coach the warm and fuzzies either.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I think they’re going to be able to move up in the conference fairly quickly. That doesn’t mean they’ll be as nationally relevant as soon because of what the conference currently is, but it’s a necessary first step and should feel pretty satisfying for fans and players/staff alike.

The key is the last sentence , eventual sustained success, once Arch gets us top 4 in this conference I think it’s going to pretty much be an every year occurrence like Dayton and VCU are
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago did Ace go to Wagner's message board daily and convince them that Hurley never wanted to leave them for URI too?

Again, there is no issue with Hurley wanting to go to a P6 school. I don't have a single solitary problem with that. Except for some great memories, there should be no guilt, he's exactly where he ought be. Good for him, I like him.

And commitments aside, I'm sure being on the hot-seat the year before those two dances doesn't exactly give a coach the warm and fuzzies either.
Lol yea, Hurley sure was on the hot seat after leading us to an NIT birth/victory followed by a 17-15 record without EC who was an NBA prospect at the time.

Are you ok?
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree with 15 he was Never on the hot seat.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Were you on this message board at the time?

You mean to tell me all of the people calling for his head, that never happened?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago did Ace go to Wagner's message board daily and convince them that Hurley never wanted to leave them for URI too?
To paraphrase Will, keep my name out your mouth. You think BM’s info comes from me? Please.
This place has become so awful.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you think this is awful, you never saw the Projo board
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Were you on this message board at the time?

You mean to tell me all of the people calling for his head, that never happened?
Thorr never had any thought about dismissing Hurley.
Quite the opposite.
You really think he paid serious attention to some of the nonsense on this board?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hurley left, because Hurley was still a coach with youth on his side, and it was his time.

He's not immune to what other coaches experience. He brought URI to the pinnacle, and he was losing key players the following season, it was going to be very difficult to get them there again, and opportunity knocked. The end.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Were you on this message board at the time?

Thorr never had any thought about dismissing Hurley.
Quite the opposite.
You really think he paid serious attention to some of the nonsense on this board?
So, it wasn't my imagination then. Thank you.

And regardless of what Thorr thought, I'm sure Hurley was aware of what was said on this board. That, was my point.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LMAO. What? First of all, my opinions on just about anything aren't ever influenced by anything I didn't witness first hand and come up with inside of my own brain. That much should be obvious for all that I subject to my takes.

For those paying attention, I've pretty much had that same exact stance throughout the entirety of the Hurley tenure and beyond.

Hurley was never on the hot seat at URI. Ever. Especially in 2015 when the best player on the team went down 10 minutes into the season and forced a transfer that was expected to play 10-15 mins a night into a starting role. Then later that same season our other best player missed the last 12 games.

If you're confusing that with next year, maybe a dozen fans monopolized the board and constantly posted dumb takes about Hurley being Jim Baron. The message board isn't URI. It's a message board.

All of this is dumb. It has literally nothing to do with this thread. Most importantly why you're bringing this up like 2 hours before tipoff of the only game that actually matters this season is beyond me.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I seem to recall Rod having to defend the Hurley hire at one point against an avalanche of people. That's all.

You're right, as usual. This is stupid. I just don't understand why people get so upset about Hurley leaving. I cannot picture Wagner going through this when he bolted for here. It's the circle of life.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I seem to recall Rod having to defend the Hurley hire at one point against an avalanche of people. That's all.

You're right, as usual. This is stupid. I just don't understand why people get so upset about Hurley leaving. I cannot picture Wagner going through this when he bolted for here. It's the circle of life.
I'm not upset about him leaving. I'm upset about what has happened to the program in the 5 years since he left. If he hadn't left, the program wouldn't have been run into the ground the past 4 years. It's not about Dan leaving. Obviously it was a great decision for him. I'm upset that where we are now possibly could have been avoided.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I seem to recall Rod having to defend the Hurley hire at one point against an avalanche of people. That's all.

The avalanche was 1 poster saying Dan couldn’t coach offense, Xavier Munford was a ball hogging mediocre player yada yada yada. And it wasn’t 72! There was no groundswell of dissent that you speak of.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hurley was never on the hot seat here
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rod was one of the first people that turned on Hurley and mocked Blue Man and I for being Kool Aid drinkers. Your recall is off
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines