URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Khalif Battle? Yes please.

You guys said you wanted 4star players. This be it. True 2, shooting guard.
It’s a transfer though, doesn’t count for some people here.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CaptainRon wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

Hey, no trashing of Beaver Brown. They were my prom band!
I loved them. They played at Schiller's every Wednesday night when I was in school. I just went to see them last year. They're still good, although Cafferty and Antunes are the only guys still in the band from the old days.
Gary Guitar is still with them too.
Oh, you're right!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RV probably threw that name out there knowing he wasn't coming to URI. Then when he doesn't come, he will blast Archie.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's not like he wasn't performing at a high level for Temple. He was averaging 25.4 ppg his last five games before he basically got benched and entered the portal.

I mean, yeah, sometimes 4star recruits will go somewhere and fizzle and not see any playing time or completely underperform, but this guy still fits the 4star mold.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Aside from a possible Jersey connection to Woodward, why would Battle come to URI?

He is one of the top players in the AAC (averaging 18 pts) and will probably get his choice of the pick of the litter.

Is this just another name RV is throwing out there.
Is "recruiting possible transfers" even allowed never mind "being in full swing?"
How does this help URI (or hurt URI) to have this info made public?
Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?
With the season still not even to Conference Tournament time yet

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his recruiting info made public at this time
Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
Is he even in the portal?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

From what I've read, the Battle kid is very good. Sort of a Freeman situation with the coach though (at first glance).
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

According to the Temple 247 board, he is in the portal.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't want to compare anyone to Freeman, whether it be Battle or anyone else. It sounds like Archie was working with Freeman all season until that game where his family decided to ambush Archie from behind the bench, and then it was all over.

Freeman is also a man without a true position who has overperformed in certain categories since he was rated. Battle is a 4star well known prospect that is a true 2. The argument here would be, how does he operate with Ish? But there is only going to be a one year overlap, and dare I say it, we don't actually know if Ish is staying yet.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago According to the Temple 247 board, he is in the portal.
If you check the time stamp on that thread, it’s from years ago.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong section of posts.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I meant in the comments section, someone said he has entered the portal, after that last game he was active for.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RV said we were getting Tre Mitchell.

Anyone who give him any sort of credibility on breaking news is foolish.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

fair enough. I don't really know anything about RV, I was just commenting on Battle, hypothetically.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's probably more BS from RV. For those asking about a connection, Kenny Johnson follows him on twitter as does Brandon Weston. My guess is that Kenny tried to recruit him to LaSalle.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Battle, sorta like a Freeman situation? I am out.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

News is that URI is likely to get Dre Davis. Junior guard at seton hall has two years of eligibility left. 6'6" guard Averages 10 ppg and 3 rebounds and shooting splits are 49/36/85.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Won’t believe until I hear anything
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago News is that URI is likely to get Dre Davis. Junior guard at seton hall has two years of eligibility left. 6'6" guard Averages 10 ppg and 3 rebounds and shooting splits are 49/36/85.
Interesting, I’ve hear Sanders is a definite lock but nothing more….
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Battle, sorta like a Freeman situation? I am out.
I'd take that with a grain of salt. Could be a different situation.
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago News is that URI is likely to get Dre Davis. Junior guard at seton hall has two years of eligibility left. 6'6" guard Averages 10 ppg and 3 rebounds and shooting splits are 49/36/85.
Ya Sanders is the name everyone is talking about. But I’m with Jersey until someone transfers we should stay quiet.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Ya Sanders is the name everyone is talking about. But I’m with Jersey until someone transfers we should stay quiet.
Whos is Sanders?
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Aside from a possible Jersey connection to Woodward, why would Battle come to URI?

He is one of the top players in the AAC (averaging 18 pts) and will probably get his choice of the pick of the litter.

Is "recruiting possible transfers" even allowed never mind "being in full swing?"
Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his recruiting info made public at this time
Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
FWIW... I think speculation along these lines is like, the lowest of the low value information. There's just zero trustworthy coverage of the transfer market at this point in the season. That being said, I'm positive that recruiting is happening, similar to how professional players still under contract are "recruited." Meaning, no player on an NCAA roster is probably having direct contact with Archie Miller. But, I bet players are talking to their AAU coach, their high school coach, who in turn is talking with Miller or an assistant. And, I doubt this is unique to URI. When players leave from URI, pretty much all of them having a landing spot lined up within a week or so, which seems awfully quick if their recruitment was truly open.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I know for fact that Fatts was being recruited for at least a year before finally going to Maryland.
His former HS teammate was on the Terps....easy pipeline.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

FWIW... I think speculation along these lines is like, the lowest of the low value information. There's just zero trustworthy coverage of the transfer market at this point in the season. That being said, I'm positive that recruiting is happening, similar to how professional players still under contract are "recruited." Meaning, no player on an NCAA roster is probably having direct contact with Archie Miller. But, I bet players are talking to their AAU coach, their high school coach, who in turn is talking with Miller or an assistant. And, I doubt this is unique to URI. When players leave from URI, pretty much all of them having a landing spot lined up within a week or so, which seems awfully quick if their recruitment was truly open.
There might be a subtle difference but isn’t this entire thread about who on our team may enter the portal?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

I am 99.99% confident the P6 are doing it and probably more overtly because there is little accountability on their level.

Therefore, if we - and other similar programs - aren’t doing it, at least covertly after being contacted by rep’s of possible transfers then, shame on us.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also realized if you are correct Mattrams that means his brother could follow as well ( 6’9” Freshman)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Is there a connection I'm missing here? Committed to Butler then went to Temple. Or is there no obvious connection they just think they could be a good player for us?

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his potential transfer recruiting info made public at this time
Probably more accurate if you changed "at this time" to "ever"?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

Ah, so...this is NOT a place for wild, rampant, unchecked speculation. Got it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

Sure they do. Rumors fly. Lots of talk going on. But a person in Rhody Vault's role should not be putting info out there like he did today. Sure people know about a Seton Hall guy, been talk for a month or more but nobody here puts it out there because they know they shouldn't.
But here comes RV like he's got this inside info.
And to my knowledge the Temple player is not in the Portal as yet.
He guaranteed Tre Mitchell was coming even giving the Vault Guarantee, also said last year we were closing in on signing Durugordon - another he was wrong on.
He should Leave the recruiting to Miller and staff. I'm sure they prefer it that way. Help out Bryant.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I know for fact that Fatts was being recruited for at least a year before finally going to Maryland.
His former HS teammate was on the Terps....easy pipeline.
I agree. It's Rhody Vault putting info out there while I guy is still part of the Temple Team that's ill advised timing. But it's par for the course with him. He doesn't get it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Sure they do. Rumors fly. Lots of talk going on. But a person in Rhody Vault's role should not be putting info out there like he did today. Sure people know about a Seton Hall guy, been talk for a month or more but nobody here puts it out there because they know they shouldn't.
He guaranteed Tre Mitchell was coming even giving the Vault Guarantee, also said last year we were closing in on signing Durugordon - another he was wrong on.
He should Leave the recruiting to Miller and staff. I'm sure they prefer it that way. Help out Bryant.
Oh, to be clear - I definitely think there is a big difference between (essentially) assholes on a message board thinking "what if?" about certain players, vs. a Media Entity talking about a player leaving his current team to definitely join another. I think message board posts are more like spitballing, and no one is really keeping track that closely.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Oh, to be clear - I definitely think there is a big difference between (essentially) assholes on a message board thinking "what if?" about certain players, vs. a Media Entity talking about a player leaving his current team to definitely join another. I think message board posts are more like spitballing, and no one is really keeping track that closely.
Rhody Vault posting inappropriate info with poor timing was my point.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is this the S Hall connection with Woodward and Weston ??
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

A 6’6” guard, with those shooting stats is interesting for the A-10 roster, big guards that is. No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Is this the S Hall connection with Woodward and Weston ??
I think any obvious guess at Seton Hall is that Woodward found a job at URI after Holloway got a job at Seton Hall. Any kids he'd have recruited there would've committed to Holloway with Woodward not having a home at the time.

It's a bit different to surmise on a message board things like "the former coach and recruiter at Seton Hall would probably be able to re-recruit his kids that aren't seeing the floor currently" rather than Vault putting things out on Twitter with players that don't have an obvious connection to URI.

His content is great, what he's helped do for URI's past is awesome. It doesn't change that by and large he sucks and is really starting to hamper what URI can do presently on the court and with recruiting. Stay in your lane for the love of God.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago A 6’6” guard, with those shooting stats is interesting for the A-10 roster, big guards that is. No?
He would be a 2-time transfer and would either need to sit or get a waiver.

The NCAA will make it much more difficult for multi-transfer player to obtain a waiver.
https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-chan ... 202764033/
https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/new ... transfers/
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And...if you are a supposed "Media Entity" talking about a "player leaving his current team to definitely join another"...my guess is, you get lumped in with the spitballers and have similar credibility. Ramster, despite your season predictions, I think you have just as much credibility as RV....I say, let him flail with the same cred as the rest of us
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Khalif Battle? Yes please.

You guys said you wanted 4star players. This be it. True 2, shooting guard.
It’s a transfer though, doesn’t count for some people here.
24 pts vs #3 Houston this season... I'll take that any day.

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

We/ll see.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting the comments, RR12.

I will be good with whatever Carey decides. Although, my gut tells me that if he decides to play another year, he might consider a team that gives him a high probability to dance next March.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Thanks for posting the comments, RR12.

I will be good with whatever Carey decides. Although, my gut tells me that if he decides to play another year, he might consider a team that gives him a high probability to dance next March.
I'm with you. His performance is obviously up-and-down, but he clearly has value as a player, and we need as many players as we can get right now - even if he's more of an (incredibly erratic) innings-eater vs. anyone you can build around. That being said, if he wants to transfer or go pro or just start a career, I don't think it's a huge blow to the program.

I think with his athletic ability, some higher conference team would probably take a shot on him. I mean, hell, Elijah Wood is still getting looks from teams, apparently. There are far worse options to have near the end of the bench to come in on a second unit, to play defense and attack the defense on fast breaks. But, I kind of doubt he could get starter's minutes on a good team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Jalen is gone but I’m less certain than I was the other day
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I think Jalen is gone but I’m less certain than I was the other day
Same here reef. The comments today were kind of unexpected.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I want the best players available who want to play team basketball. I hope Jalen stays unless we find better players.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I tend to agree if he wants back on the team next year it may not be the worst thing, if we find better players he can be a solid reserve
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Scorched PC today
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Does Rhode Island have any connection to Dre Davis? He just transferred there from Louisville last year, and he’s from Indianapolis. Also his brother is a freshman on Seton Hall.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I don't want Carey back. Nothing personal, but I'd rather watch our incoming freshman or if we were to bring in a transfer as we did with Bray. If we bring back Carey that makes me think we miss out on some of the targets.

As for Dre Davis, he would be an awesome get but I have no idea why he would come to Rhody. He has a great role at a big east program and he's playing with his bro. Who knows though..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Does Rhode Island have any connection to Dre Davis? He just transferred there from Louisville last year, and he’s from Indianapolis. Also his brother is a freshman on Seton Hall.
Don't see it happening with Dre Davis, no obvious connection and he is playing with his brother.
Also he would have to sit a year, makes no sense for him to come here.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Does Rhode Island have any connection to Dre Davis? He just transferred there from Louisville last year, and he’s from Indianapolis. Also his brother is a freshman on Seton Hall.
Don't see it happening with Dre Davis, no obvious connection and he is playing with his brother.
Also he would have to sit a year, makes no sense for him to come here.
Unfortunately I agree. Seems like another Rhody Vault situation where someone hears something from a questionable source and runs with it hoping to be right so they can say they were first on it.