URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

reality is we were worse than our collective KB expectations. Look back to threads just a year ago about now.

we have no foundation, we have no culture. this season was a step backwards. All I see to build on is a coach, a soon to be completed practice gym and maybe 1 player if he doesn't bounce. Yippie.
How can you give up on Foumena , who didn't even play this season?
Also Bilau was plagued by injuries this year.
I think Weston is a talented player and will keep improving.
Rory is a big who is capable of stretching the floor and only a freshman.
Alex is athletic and still raw, only played a total of 3 games before arriving here.
Hutch we haven't seen much, so don't know.
I think it is way too early to give up on all these players.
I'm not interested in parts and pieces that are hurt, can't get on the floor, or crack our existing line up. we have resources to get healthy and get yourself right. everyone is banged up at this point in a season. no excuses.

at this point in the season those are the guys that should be getting some time. 'show me' minutes. we're not playing for anything expect next season. you want to play next season? earn your spot now.
I hear you ... If a dude is getting zero minutes on this year's team = probably not a ncaat team contributor...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Alex is athletic and still raw, only played a total of 3 games before arriving here.
I'm not interested in parts and pieces that are hurt, can't get on the floor, or crack our existing line up. we have resources to get healthy and get yourself right. everyone is banged up at this point in a season. no excuses.

at this point in the season those are the guys that should be getting some time. 'show me' minutes. we're not playing for anything expect next season. you want to play next season? earn your spot now.
I hear you ... If a dude is getting zero minutes on this year's team = probably not a ncaat team contributor...
Right? If we get a player who can score 6 pg average, they would be a starter on this team. That's how bad it is.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Lumping players into tiers here, but...

Tier 1 - Leggett. Clearly valuable, the closest thing this team has to a "star," and as Bill Koch said in a post elsewhere on the board earlier in the year, the only guy who absolutely would have gotten minutes on our of our past tournament teams. At times earlier in the year, it seemed like he wasn't as aggressive as he could be, but if there's one silver lining from our consecutive crap-outs to end the year, its that it has forced Leggett to become focal point of the offense and the clear #1 guy.

Tier 2 - Carey, Bilau, Weston, Tchikou. All four are raw, regardless of their respective ages or experience levels, but have shown glimpses of performance. Can they ever stabilize it enough to be valued contributors, or be healthy enough to make it through a full season? Questionable. And in Carey's case, I'm more listing him because he has eligibility left. I assume he'll go pro / finish his college career, since that's the indication we've gotten from staff most of the year. But, I think all of them have shown enough that staff would tell them that they have a reasonable line on playing time next year.

Tier 3 - Thomas, Samb, Stewart, Hutchinson. This is more the group that staff probably is being more honest about "their role going forward," a.k.a. "you're probably coming off the bench, ideally." Thomas (shooting), Samb (rebounding) and Stewart (defense) have clear limitations in their game that I'm not positive they can improve on enough to be viable A-10 players. Hutchinson can't get playing time right now despite a very shallow depth chart, which is usually a very bad sign about a player's future production.

Tier 4 - Harris and Foumena. I think Harris would be an excellent A-10 player, judging from his UNC stats, but I have serious doubts he'll ever suit up for Rhody. At this point, if he does play college basketball in 2023-24, I'd assume that URI has to re-recruit him, in competition with any other D-I program. Foumena, similar to Hutchinson, I don't think it's a great sign that he redshirted instead of being on this roster, given the lack of strength on the depth chart. I can understand that there were health reasons for it, but the track record of URI players redshirting their freshman year, and then being valued contributors later on, is pretty short, especially if you're looking at the past 25 years, and not dipping back into the 1980s and 1990s.
...Did you just put a player never enrolled at the school or on the team on this list?

Why the hell are people so obsessed with this kid? He was never on the team, nor will he be.

He did NOTHING in the ACC to warrant being considered an excellent A10 player. Doesn't seem to give a shit about academics and is injury prone.
Shouldn't this be in the Ant thread? :o
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

That is a pretty big stretch to say that a true freshman who joined the team late and redshirting will not be a contributor if we do make the NCAAT down the ride.
It is hard for me to agree with that without even seeing him play.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That is a pretty big stretch to say that a true freshman who joined the team late and redshirting will not be a contributor if we do make the NCAAT down the ride.
EC Mathews scored over 14 points per game his freshman year. We are not paying a coach $2 Million+ for a guy who scores 6. Get it done Archie.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Yeah we did suck this season, but you must think rationally not emotionally.
Reality was, we weren't going to be very good this season.
Turning over the complete roster will ensure that next season will be terrible also.
reality is we were worse than our collective KB expectations. Look back to threads just a year ago about now.

we have no foundation, we have no culture. this season was a step backwards. All I see to build on is a coach, a soon to be completed practice gym and maybe 1 player if he doesn't bounce. Yippie.
U don’t have to “give up” on these players - just means if something is better and available and will come our way, u take him and one of these should go.

U cannot have an entire roster of maybe’s and “if only…” and most freshman. My ideal roster would be 5 experienced players and the developmental ones and freshman are the 5-9 players.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

EC Mathews scored over 14 points per game his freshman year. We are not paying a coach $2 Million+ for a guy who scores 6. Get it done Archie.
We are all aware this was a bad season.
I am not yet ready to give up on some of our young players.
Let's see how Archie's plan plays out.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
So, I guess you are giving Archie an F or unsatisfactory grade in building this year's roster.
I would. Wouldn’t you?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We are all aware this was a bad season.
I am not yet ready to give up on some of our young players.
Let's see how Archie's plan plays out.
Archie's plan better be to sign some high rated players soon. This team can't shoot.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

U don’t have to “give up” on these players - just means if something is better and available and will come our way, u take him and one of these should go.

U cannot have an entire roster of maybe’s and “if only…” and most freshman. My ideal roster would be 5 experienced players and the developmental ones and freshman are the 5-9 players.
The players will be a year older next season.
We already have 2 openings and probably expecting a few more, let's see how the staff fills them.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Tier 1 - Leggett. Clearly valuable, the closest thing this team has to a "star," and as Bill Koch said in a post elsewhere on the board earlier in the year, the only guy who absolutely would have gotten minutes on our of our past tournament teams. At times earlier in the year, it seemed like he wasn't as aggressive as he could be, but if there's one silver lining from our consecutive crap-outs to end the year, its that it has forced Leggett to become focal point of the offense and the clear #1 guy.

Tier 2 - Carey, Bilau, Weston, Tchikou. All four are raw, regardless of their respective ages or experience levels, but have shown glimpses of performance. Can they ever stabilize it enough to be valued contributors, or be healthy enough to make it through a full season? Questionable. And in Carey's case, I'm more listing him because he has eligibility left. I assume he'll go pro / finish his college career, since that's the indication we've gotten from staff most of the year. But, I think all of them have shown enough that staff would tell them that they have a reasonable line on playing time next year.

Tier 3 - Thomas, Samb, Stewart, Hutchinson. This is more the group that staff probably is being more honest about "their role going forward," a.k.a. "you're probably coming off the bench, ideally." Thomas (shooting), Samb (rebounding) and Stewart (defense) have clear limitations in their game that I'm not positive they can improve on enough to be viable A-10 players. Hutchinson can't get playing time right now despite a very shallow depth chart, which is usually a very bad sign about a player's future production.

Tier 4 - Harris and Foumena. I think Harris would be an excellent A-10 player, judging from his UNC stats, but I have serious doubts he'll ever suit up for Rhody. At this point, if he does play college basketball in 2023-24, I'd assume that URI has to re-recruit him, in competition with any other D-I program. Foumena, similar to Hutchinson, I don't think it's a great sign that he redshirted instead of being on this roster, given the lack of strength on the depth chart. I can understand that there were health reasons for it, but the track record of URI players redshirting their freshman year, and then being valued contributors later on, is pretty short, especially if you're looking at the past 25 years, and not dipping back into the 1980s and 1990s.
Was Foumena redshirted because he was not as good as Frenchie? Or was it for medical reasons. ? Enough said if it was for the former reason.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Was Foumena redshirted because he was not as good as Frenchie? Or was it for medical reasons. ? Enough said if it was for the former reason.
Hopefully, in a not too distant time, the answer to question 1 will be "who?"
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago ...
But we shouldn’t be this bad. No excuses.
I expected you at al who promised an above average team to circle the wagons.

Archie took over a program in April with 3 players transferring out, no recruits coming in, and you expect better results from left over players in the portal and freshman who hadn't found a taker. It wasn't DC who created this mess but you guys refuse to admit who was.
I don't know why I'm replying. But you are some kind of stupid. Did your parents drop you on your head when you were a baby?
"It wasn't DC who created this mess but you guys refuse to admit who was."

DC accomplished nothing in 4 years :lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Just asking, then wonder why he didn’t play? Anyone?
Was told he had mono at beginning of the year.

Was absolutely gassed after the scrimmage, too far behind in his conditioning.

Decided to redshirt him.
I thought it was Hutchinson that had mono?
Just posting what I was told from someone in the program/athletics.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Decided to redshirt him.
Can you let us know who is feeding you bogus info?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Decided to redshirt him.
Foumena was in the hospital having his heart checked. That we know for sure. He posted a pic.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So you want to ride it out with a consistently inconsistent 6th year senior guard (Carey) who can’t shoot threes and is a turnover machine but give up on the 1st year guy with the 7’7 wing span ? Good lord.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

So you want to ride it out with a consistently inconsistent 6th year senior guard (Carey) who can’t shoot threes and is a turnover machine but give up on the 1st year guy with the 7’7 wing span ? Good lord.
Definitely yes on Carey....
Have not seen any good 7'7 wing span play this year, but would gladly trade it (the unseen 7'7 wingspan play) for proven effective 6'6 wingspan player?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Definitely yes on Carey....
Have not seen any good 7'7 wing span play this year, but would gladly trade it (the unseen 7'7 wingspan play) for proven effective 6'6 wingspan player?
Yes we need more of the 57 turnovers and 18% three point shooting. Feed me!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

You’re blind if you can’t see Frentchis potential
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago You’re blind if you can’t see Frentchis potential
I know it's just HS, but I didn't know Alex could shoot threes.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago ...
But we shouldn’t be this bad. No excuses.
I expected you at al who promised an above average team to circle the wagons.

Archie took over a program in April with 3 players transferring out, no recruits coming in, and you expect better results from left over players in the portal and freshman who hadn't found a taker. It wasn't DC who created this mess but you guys refuse to admit who was.
I don't know why I'm replying. But you are some kind of stupid. Did your parents drop you on your head when you were a baby?
I explained why we should be as bad of a team as we are. You could try defending why we should not be so bad. Am I expecting too much from you?
NCAAs or Bust!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Bigs need time to develop so yes I feel we need to be patient with Tchikou in particular, and maybe Foumena. I am not as high on the others as some here. As for the wings and guards, truly good ones generally contribute their freshman year. Ish did, EC, Terrell, Dowtin etc. We need an massive infusion of talent; not just one or two guys.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Bigs need time to develop so yes I feel we need to be patient with Tchikou in particular, and maybe Foumena. I am not as high on the others as some here. As for the wings and guards, truly good ones generally contribute their freshman year. Ish did, EC, Terrell, Dowtin etc. We need an massive infusion of talent; not just one or two guys.
I am sure Archie will be making PG and shooters a high priority this offseason, along with an immediate impact big.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Bigs need time to develop so yes I feel we need to be patient with Tchikou in particular, and maybe Foumena. I am not as high on the others as some here. As for the wings and guards, truly good ones generally contribute their freshman year. Ish did, EC, Terrell, Dowtin etc. We need an massive infusion of talent; not just one or two guys.
What do you not like about Foumena?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
What do you not like about Foumena?
I should have clarified that. It's not a like or dislike. I put maybe because he's an unknown; to me anyway. I'm sure Arch has a plan for him.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
He looks a lot more athletic in that video. It looks like that injury really affected him.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can you let us know who is feeding you bogus info?
…And you consider this bogus why?
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He'll get exponentially better just by adding 10 to 15 pounds of muscle.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He looks a lot more athletic in that video. It looks like that injury really affected him.
Yeah, a nice jumper too. I'd like to see him dunk the ball more often.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Now that you mention it... I wouldn't mind dunking the ball more often myself
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

:lol: what?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Checking on my glasses!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It’s ok to have Foumena and Frenchie on the team- just can’t count of them as your inside man next year. With Bilau coming back from injury he is also an unknown. We need a reliable 5 who can score on a pick and roll and hit a few baby hook shots and obviously a 4 and point guard. Anything less should be considered a poor performance by our staff.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Checking on my glasses!
Frentchi at best is a good backup big for like 5/10 mins a game
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Lou & Rory got more time than Samb today, as most of us said he’s good as gone as the seasons over
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Checking on my glasses!
Some of you don’t remember how raw Cyril was or any other big not named Hassan their first years. And Alex has no Hassan to practice against and learn from
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yes some players take time to develop and others are good right away. Unfortunately you can’t tell until year 2 or three for the ones you hope will develop. We obviously need players who are good right away, who will be Archie’s first big time recruit?
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Checking on my glasses!
Some of you don’t remember how raw Cyril was or any other big not named Hassan their first years. And Alex has no Hassan to practice against and learn from
I do he was raw but not as raw as Tchikou and was producing more in more limited minutes as was able to catch a ball, but surf Tchikou is already a sophomore, Cyril was getting some consistent scoring and rebounding off the bench his sophomore year
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Let’s remember, Cyril’s hands were not exactly like, like the soft supple meat hooks of Andre Berry. But Cyril did improve in that area.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago the soft supple meat hooks
I think I saw them play at The Mist back in the day?
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago the soft supple meat hooks
I think I saw them play at The Mist back in the day?
Yep, same night as Beaver Brown.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

People paying attention…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They are going to need people who can rebound. You get rid of Martin, Carry, and Samb, that's about 15 rebounds a game. And we need better production than that, because our rebounding was not where it needed to be.

So, when they look at JUCO's, the portal, etc, it's actually more important what kind of rebounding they bring to the table than what kind of offensive production. Ideally, URI needs that guy that can produce a double/double again, if they want to get back into this. but, I would settle for 9 and 11.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Both JUCO prospects, Troy Brown and Buru Naivalurua, avg double/doubles for their respective teams. That's what Rhody needs. And you see a lot of other A10 teams going after these players, particularly Brown and the swingman on his team, Tracey.

Except for maybe Bilau, our bigs don't rebound. That's a glaring need right now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Both JUCO prospects, Troy Brown and Buru Naivalurua, avg double/doubles for their respective teams. That's what Rhody needs. And you see a lot of other A10 teams going after these players, particularly Brown and the swingman on his team, Tracey.

Except for maybe Bilau, our bigs don't rebound. That's a glaring need right now.
One thing I've noticed about Rory. He finds someone to put a body on and box them out on defense, but then doesn't go after the ball. Even at Orangeville, he didn't play the 5, so this is all new to him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

:lol: what?
i would really like to dunk more often than I do now. Which is never, even tho my son has the hoop set at about 8'...
There's a ton of improved quality of life that comes with artificial knees - hops - just not one of them. It's like I am rooted to the ground.

So, yes, I'd like to see myself dunking more often as well...both of us....me and whoever we're talking about here
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I think he and at least one or two of the other bigs we have, are not used to playing in the paint or rebounding. They are all the same kind of position players, Rory has the edge on outside shooting and the others may have the edge in athleticism.

So, I think if you do get that key player who can give you a reliable double double, then Rory is further out, when he is in the game, and he might get a couple more rebounds just from being in position of where their trajectory is going, like the wing players tend to do.

I mean, of the hold overs, you have Bilau and maybe Foumena, who actually play in the paint. The rest are basically just big bodies playing out of position.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Checking on my glasses!
Cyril's per 40 minutes as a freshman were 9.8 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, 1.4 steals... and 7.4 fouls. Tchikou isn't a freshman - you can handwave it, and say that he's "really" one because he didn't play last year for Alabama if you want - and he's at 9.3 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 0.8 steals, 5.9 fouls. I think he's still promising, but Cyril was only raw on the offensive end and in comparison to Hassan Martin. He was a valuable player from day one at URI.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, I think he and at least one or two of the other bigs we have, are not used to playing in the paint or rebounding. They are all the same kind of position players, Rory has the edge on outside shooting and the others may have the edge in athleticism.

So, I think if you do get that key player who can give you a reliable double double, then Rory is further out, when he is in the game, and he might get a couple more rebounds just from being in position of where their trajectory is going, like the wing players tend to do.

I mean, of the hold overs, you have Bilau and maybe Foumena, who actually play in the paint. The rest are basically just big bodies playing out of position.
If Tchikou and Samb don't play in the paint, where do they play? (On any team, not just this one)