2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by jcru »

Toure throws up another wild shot.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

50-47 St. Joe's at 4:53.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure 0-10
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

14 turnovers. 🥺
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure 1-11. Yeesh
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Finally a bucket from Toure.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Toure and MHC 2-15.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ANOTHER bunny missed by Toure
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure 1-12
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure 2-13, ties the game
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Toure big bucket
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure 3-14, 2 pt lead
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Terrible turnover by Toure
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

55-53 St. Joe's 56.6 seconds left.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No awareness of the shot clock. 6 seconds left, 5-6 feet from the basket, tries to pass it out.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Need a quick bucket to tie. Don't give St. Joe's the ball with chance to get last shot.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

HORRIBLE turnover by Lassiter!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

St Joe's has 16 points off 16 turnovers.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Crazy sequence as Dutat with great steal. Lassiter hits 2 foul shots to tie on intentional foul. And Rhody gets the ball back with 29.2 left.
Last edited by PeteRI 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dutat with a brilliant play to save the game
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wow
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A BIG DIME!!!!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Sophie with deeeep 3 with 1.1 seconds left! Rhody up 58-55
Last edited by PeteRI 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Phillips, Ice Woman
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That's a fucking MONSTER WIN!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

At large bid still in play, by the slimmest of margins
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Man that Sophie 3 is going on Sportscenter Top 10 for sure!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That was a tough 3 she made. What a shot!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago At large bid still in play, by the slimmest of margins
I just don't see it. The NCAAW go by NET almost exclusively. A NET of 60-70 is not getting an at large bid.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe. I just meant if they lost this one, that door was shut permanently. No bubble, no nothing.

As it stands they have to win the Tourney to make it, with the tiniest chance of winning out through to the A-10 finals and losing to UMass, which is what UMass also posted on their message board (winning to the final game and losing to us).
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Even if we don't get a bid you've got to hand it to our Ladies. They got embarrassed at home by UMass but came right back to beat a really tough St. Joe's on their court. Tammi is building a winning culture!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I liked the way they played. AND, they overcame something almost insurmountable to do it: which is have one of your key players go 0-10 through 7/8ths of the game.

Toure's slump is hurting them. Rinat also had a really bad play where she threw a pass that was meant for Toure's sub, Magassa, basically where she thought she was going to be, it was a key TO at the end of the game, and she just kind of laughed and shrugged her shoulders, and they pulled Magassa instead.

But they got three baskets by Toure in the end, and an incredible sequence of events. That steal by Dutat was a thing of beauty, stone cold trey by Phillips, and they keep the dream alive.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Even if we don't get a bid you've got to hand it to our Ladies. They got embarrassed at home by UMass but came right back to beat a really tough St. Joe's on their court. Tammi is building a winning culture!
Oh no doubt. They are having a fantastic year!!!
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

Outstanding road win! Great job by Tammi hitting the reset button after a tough loss to UMASS. This team can win the A-10 tournament. Go Rhody!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just got back home from the game, OMG

Sat next to Milan and near Tammi's father who I also talked to at lunch along with Sophie's father.
What a game.
Started out slow for us and was worried when we got down double-digits,
Sloppy play by us resulted in easy baskets for them and Maye' really struggled with her shot most of the game.
The team never gave up and always fought back.
Tammi constantly teaching on the sidelines.

The freshman Zieglar for them is the real deal.

The steal at the end along with making the FT's plus Sophie sinking a difficult 3pt shot with just under 2 seconds was unbelievable.

Great win, I really love this team and the way they rebounded with a big win on the road.
Glad I was there to watch it.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Just got back home from the game, OMG

Sat next to Milan and near Tammi's father who I also talked to at lunch along with Sophie's father.
What a game.
Sloppy play by us resulted in easy baskets for them and Maye' really struggled with her shot most of the game.

The steal at the end along with making the FT's plus Sophie sinking a difficult 3pt shot with just under 2 seconds was unbelievable.

Great win, I really love this team and the way they rebounded with a big win on the road.
Glad for you! That was a helluva game to see in person!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing win, some great plays and superior Coaching. Tammi out-coached Cindy Griffin in that last minute of play. Griffin is in her 22nd year as HC at St Josephs.

Sequence:
At 6 minute mark with score 47-47: Tammi took out Magassa, Rinat and Cairns - subbing in Toure, Hattix-Covington and Phillips. Dutat, Lassiter stayed in.
Coaching Move #1: From 6 minute mark on floor: Toure, Lassiter, Hattix-Covington, Dutat, Phillips

At :56 remaining Mackenzie Smith scores a huge layup to put St Joe up 53-55

Coaching Move #2: Tammi immediately called Time out and subbed in Emma Squires for Anaelle Dutat in an offensive sub
Lassiter made a bad turnover as she threw a bad pass in the direction of Toure that Boslet stole. It was such as bad pass Toure would not have caught it even if Boslet didn't outright steal it. Squires for Dutat sub didn't matter so much because of the Turnover but still a good move.

Coaching Move #3: At :39 Cindy Griffin called Time out. Maybe not so smart as it allowed Tammi to sub Dutat back into the game for Squires for defense. A move that would come back to haunt Cindy Griffin

Coaching Move #4: At :29 Anaelle Dutat switched off onto Katie Jekot at the top of the key. Dutat made the defensive play of the year as she poked the ball lose from Jekot's dribble and then moved around Jekot to get control of the ball. Jekot fouled Dutat as Dutat took a step or two towards the URI basket plus Jekot dove on the floor towards Dutat which did not help the Intentional Foul case for St Joe.

The color announcer for ESPN+ (St Joe Home Game provides the announcers) claimed Dutat fouled Jekot. In addition the color announcer did not think it was an intentional foul by Jekot after Dutat knocked the ball loose.

So wow!!!! Tammi reinserts Dutat back into the game, Dutat switches off onto Jekot far from the basket (where Dutat would normally play as she is a forward), and Dutat picks Jekot clean - an amazingly clutch, potentially game winning defensive play.
Since it's ruled an Intentional Foul, URI gets 2 shots AND THE BALL.

Coaching Move #5: Dutat is only a 44% FT shooter BUT because it was Intentional, Tammi gets to pick the FT Shooter as per rules for an Intentional Foul. Tammi picks Lassiter. Lassiter's 1st attempt hits the front rim, bounces off the backboard, back to the front rim, back rim, front rim and in (or something like that :roll: ), Lassiter swishes the 2nd FT to tie the game.

Coaching Move #6: At :29 immediately after the 2 FTs Tammi with another Time Out with the score 55-55. Tammi sets up the offensive plan.
Still URI Ball because of the Intentional Foul

Coaching Move #7: St Joseph's still had an extra foul to give and amazingly Cindy Griffin did not use it. Cindy Griffin should have had a player foul with 3,4,5 or 6 seconds left to force URI to have to throw the ball back in but she did not and Lassiter found Phillips who took a heavily contested 3P and hit it with 1.2 seconds left. Tammi was directing and instructing her team who had the ball on the URI end of the court. Lassiter found Phillips right in front of The URI Bench not far from Tammi herself and Phillips launched the game winning 3P. Our bench erupted with joy. Having the ball on our Bench end of the court helped with the play development.

With 29 seconds to go, St Joe up 2 points with the ball it was a very bleak situation for URI on the St Joseph's home court. A court where referees calls have historically gone against URI in situations like this - the old Phil Martelli days in particular.
Tammi and her team snatched victory from the jaws of defeat as they say. HUGE WIN ON THE ROAD!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a game.

I watched the last minute of the game about 6 times. It was an amazing coaching job by Tammi and just an unbelievable steal by Freshman Anaelle Dutat. Shows Tammi's confidence in Dutat to have her on the ball needing a steal so badly. Tammi has great confidence in Dutat.

I put together a description of the last minute. Tammi and team stole this one from Cindy Griffin and the Lady Hawks. What a great game you got to attend in person.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

What a game.

I watched the last minute of the game about 6 times. It was an amazing coaching job by Tammi and just an unbelievable steal by Freshman Anaelle Dutat. Shows Tammi's confidence in Dutat to have her on the ball needing a steal so badly. Tammi has great confidence in Dutat.

I put together a description of the last minute. Tammi and team stole this one from Cindy Griffin and the Lady Hawks. What a great game you got to attend in person.
Dutat is very athletic and very active on the boards. If she can improve her shot, she's going to be a really good player.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What a game.

Yes, Dutat's defensive ability made a huge difference.
Squires only played 12 minutes because of the defensive match-up problems versus Dutat's 22 minutes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody's next game is tomorrow against Fordham at Rose Hill.
After a 3-game losing streak, they are looking to bounce back against URI at home.
They are currently 8-6 and I am expecting another difficult game for us on the road.

Fordham's big 3 impact players are:
Dingle- All A10 3rd Team 2022, averaging a team high of 19 pts.
DeWolfe- All A10 1st Team 2022, averaging 18 pts.
Downey - Team captain and grad big averaging about 11 pts/ 8 rebs.

I expect a tough battle and hopefully come away with a win in the Bronx.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

69 NET ranked Rhode Island at 97 NET Fordham
55 NET UMass at 157 NET Saint Louis
87 NET Saint Joseph's at 180 NET George Mason

are the three big games tonight in term of conference seeding. A win tonight at Fordham and a Saint Joseph's win tonight would put us in the driver's seat for the number 1 seed going into the last day of conference regular season play on Saturday
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody's next game is tomorrow against Fordham at Rose Hill.
After a 3-game losing streak, they are looking to bounce back against URI at home.
They are currently 8-6 and I am expecting another difficult game for us on the road.

Are you going to the Fordham game tonight?
Are you going to Wilmington A10 Tournament? Should be a good one.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody's next game is tomorrow against Fordham at Rose Hill.

Are you going to the Fordham game tonight?
Are you going to Wilmington A10 Tournament? Should be a good one.
Can't make the game tonight but will try to get down to Wilmington for some games.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago 69 NET ranked Rhode Island at 97 NET Fordham
55 NET UMass at 157 NET Saint Louis
87 NET Saint Joseph's at 180 NET George Mason

are the three big games tonight in term of conference seeding. A win tonight at Fordham and a Saint Joseph's win tonight would put us in the driver's seat for the number 1 seed going into the last day of conference regular season play on Saturday
I'm not stressing it. I checked the bracket, the #2 seed actually looks like they have better game times, etc, than the #1 seed. so, either way...

Example: the #1 seed has to play both of their games at 11am in the morning, where the #2 seed gets to play at 5p and 1:30p.

Bracket:

A10 Women's Tourney Bracket Link
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not to mention, if the standings ended today, the #1 seed would be facing the winner of St. Joe's (4) vs Fordham (5) in the second game to get to the finals.

Clearly these two teams were as much a nemesis for UMass as they were for Rhody this season.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I found it interesting that the NET for the A10 in WBB is ranked higher than NET for A10 MBB.
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Toure shooting dramatically better than last game. that ought to help
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Phillips is a sharp shooter
jcru