2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago All your statements are based on no facts other than that Archie was successful 6 seasons ago when he coached.
This seems like a pretty significant fact.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

23, 12, 56.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Lol the team, who already had issues scoring, dismissed its 2nd leading scorer and this board is suddenly surprised we’re struggling to score
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

We’ve got nothing. Team looks mentally and physically exhausted.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Below average on O today; even from the line at 56%. Can’t hit an open shot this half and everything underneath is contested.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We're now shooting 23% for the game. 💩
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

PU.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What’s the problem here.
GO RAMS
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Someone still has to explain to me why Malik and Thomas played 30+ min and Weston played a spot 8. I don’t get it. Huge Archie fan but his personnel decisions had me shaking my head this game. This one was another turd.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It looks like they just quit, a fitting end to one of the worst weeks in URI basketball.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago We’ve got nothing. Team looks mentally and physically exhausted.
The first time I can recall the team looking this deflated the final several minutes of a game all season. A confluence of bad circumstances today that snowballed out of control.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Was planning to come on here when I could access the internet again to kill the students for no-showing but honestly it’s hard to blame them after watching that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago Weston is another guy that gets a pass because he came from a power 5 school and the injury history, but what has he done to improve his game?? Is anyone counting on him being a starter who makes an impact next year.
He's flashed shooting ability and athleticism plenty of times this year.

Are you capable of being anything other than the most over the top whiney pessimist possible all the time?

Like yeah we get it, the team really sucks. The program got burnt to the ground and we've lost three guys that would otherwise start. We get it. You don't have to pull the fire alarm with every post it's ridiculous.

We also have a bunch of freshman who are developmental players. It just takes time to for some guys to develop.
Believe me when I say I am sick of you also and we have Archie so we will win the A-10 mentality also. All your statements are based on no facts other than that Archie was successful 6 seasons ago when he coached. Anyone can see that these freshman have no talent. I am not on the in 4-5 years program we will be good. Harris was never part of the team and it wasn’t going to make a difference. Bray was a mistake and Bilau is a nice piece or role player, but not going to push them over the top
So my more positive opinion isn't based on facts, but your exhausting negativity is?

The fact that Archie coached these guys to wins over Fordham and Dayton and almost beat VCU is nothing short of miraculous. The freshman will get better. There will be departures from the program and we will get transfers.

Have you never seen freshmen suck before? Its worse when they all have to olay together. We've had countless good rhody players suck big time as freshman.

Like yes you are correct about their ineptitude, but you never acknowledge anything positive ever! It's just unreasonable to think that way.

And yes I'm still betting on Archie because of what he did in this league six years ago. Why not? He's already competing and beating the best teams in the league right now. What coaches are vastly superior than him or have similar success in the A-10? None.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There have been some bad performances this year but that one takes the cake. We’re not that bad but man that was god awful. Nothing left to say. Need some scorers this off-season is the understatement of the year.

And Ramster said something impt in another thread - recruiting Ish back has to be a priority. A week like this could have him thinking enough is enough. Hopefully not.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Was planning to come on here when I could access the internet again to kill the students for no-showing but honestly it’s hard to blame them after watching that.
8-18 and 5 losses in a row. I don’t blame them. What an atrocious season.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Booooooooo, putrid, pathetic, embarrassing. From the coach on down. Sitting in parking lot after leaving early which we never do. Haven't read the rest of the posts. Will read them later after a nice cold beer at tilted barn(first time there). hope that's not a disappointment. Blow this up.
Need leggett back maybe Rory (possible stretch 4). Bilau and no one else.. Weston big disappointment. Seems to be on the attitude train following Freeman. Maybe not as bad but still not great. Miller has his work cut out for him. This team quit on him today.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Welp! That is all.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Booooooooo, putrid, pathetic, embarrassing. From the coach on down. Sitting in parking lot after leaving early which we never do. Haven't read the rest of the posts. Will read them later after a nice cold beer at tilted barn(first time there). hope that's not a disappointment. Blow this up.
Need leggett back maybe Rory (possible stretch 4). Bilau and no one else.. Weston big disappointment. Seems to be on the attitude train following Freeman. Maybe not as bad but still not great. Miller has his work cut out for him. This team quit on him today.
Did Weston play more than 5 minutes? Tough to get in the game when you’re not playing.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago This sound system is so F#KING LOUD 😮
PRT Vibes musician earplugs on Amazon. Game changer. Trust me.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There have been some bad performances this year but that one takes the cake. We’re not that bad but man that was god awful. Nothing left to say. Need some scorers this off-season is the understatement of the year.

And Ramster said something impt in another thread - recruiting Ish back has to be a priority. A week like this could have him thinking enough is enough. Hopefully not.
Yes BAR, my same thoughts on the game and on Ish.

Worst performance I have seen in a VERY longtime.
To be manhandled by a shorthanded UMass team at home was embarrassing.

Their freshmen are currently light years ahead of ours with all three scoring doble-digits.
Luis with 14, Thompson with 15, Gapare with 11 and Diggins had a nice stretch with 9 pts.
Right now their future looks much brighter than ours.

Lot's of work ahead for this staff to turn things around.

Oh well just venting and disgusted, expected much more.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Soft 3/4 court zone trap. Textbook for shutting down a team with no players that can catch the ball on the baseline.

Brutal.

Agree with others that keeping Leggett out of portal is mandatory. Probably the only player we have that actually can see holes in the defense.

Good show up until start of 2nd half.

That’s all I got.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Maine66 wrote: 1 year ago Heading down to Kingston today with my son in law as a guest in the President's box. Hope I don't jinx the team. Last year I was at the GW game when they couldn't shoot free throws and blew a huge lead which started their downfall. Always nice to get back to the campus. My grand daughter has been accepted into the honors program.
If last year you started the downfall maybe this year you can start the up swing. Not really sure what's left for you to jinx this year
I spoke way too soon....
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This team is headed to a last 15th place finish in the A-10. They are really bad.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Martin still has the green light to shoot threes? Holy shit man, just stop. You’re a terrible offensive player.
The Rory Stewart line institute it!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Great tribute to 1988 team during timeout.
Those tributes need to be posted online. We deserve it after the basketball we've been watching this year
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Less than three weeks left in this putrid season. This team will will go down in the annals of Rhody basketball as being just a bit above the Jerry D squads. It has been that bad.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I saw Freeman for what he was- a selfish, talented player. As I said months ago, GW shed no tears about his departure. URI will not shed any tears. Has Jared called him?

The record this season should be credited to Thorr and not Archie. Next year is the first year of the Miller era even though the official records will say otherwise. For the naysayers, Thomas will continue to improve as he has this season.

URI is easy to defend because we lack talent. I don't see that the team has quit on themselves or Archie. The players are trying their best and improving. If Weston could have contributed more today, then Archie would be playing him.
NCAAs or Bust!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago
ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Booooooooo, putrid, pathetic, embarrassing. From the coach on down. Sitting in parking lot after leaving early which we never do. Haven't read the rest of the posts. Will read them later after a nice cold beer at tilted barn(first time there). hope that's not a disappointment. Blow this up.
Did Weston play more than 5 minutes? Tough to get in the game when you’re not playing.
I saw multiple possessions where Weston has no one within at least 10 feet of him and Thomas swung the ball to the right instead into traffic. Mrs hrstrat57 was screaming going nuts. “He’s in the game to shoot! Pass the ball”

It’s like the dude was invisible. Bizarre.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Yet another Martin special - the Brick Three. From now on, I'm gonna call it a Malik.
Sorry...I already claimed the Malik....it's when you go for a layup and they jam it back off your face and out of bounds.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

[quote=Rhode_Island_Red post_id=548793 time=1676752441 user_id=364]
This is like watching Jerry Duh's team play Temple.
[/quote]

My friend and I literally said the same thing during the game. Only difference is that Temple team was good
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today's game versus UMass was the fifth straight loss by Rhody. They have four more regular season games and the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn. I would not be at all surprised if they failed to win another game and closed out the year with a ten game losing streak.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago This is like watching Jerry Duh's team play Temple.
My friend and I literally said the same thing during the game. Only difference is that Temple team was good
That game at the PCC versus Temple was the worst Rhody game I have ever witnessed in person. Here is a recap of the most inept URI performance ever:

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

Temple led 36-9 at the break, and Rhode Island had just shot 2-for-20
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Today's game versus UMass was the fifth straight loss by Rhody. They have four more regular season games and the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn. I would not be at all surprised if they failed to win another game and closed out the year with a ten game losing streak.
It wouldn't surprise me at all, in fact almost expecting it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player regress worse than Malik. My oh my.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There have been some bad performances this year but that one takes the cake. We’re not that bad but man that was god awful. Nothing left to say. Need some scorers this off-season is the understatement of the year.

Their freshmen are currently light years ahead of ours with all three scoring doble-digits.
Luis with 14, Thompson with 15, Gapare with 11 and Diggins had a nice stretch with 9 pts.

Yeah, but they do have Frank Martin, and I still think he's going to pop a player one day...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Today's game versus UMass was the fifth straight loss by Rhody. They have four more regular season games and the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn. I would not be at all surprised if they failed to win another game and closed out the year with a ten game losing streak.
Remember when Ramster said we’d cover the spread every game the rest of the season and be a team opponents wouldn’t want to face in Brooklyn?

Lol
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, but they do have Frank Martin, and I still think he's going to pop a player one day...
Frank can be a wild man, but he always sticks up for his players, and most of them seem to like him.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

He's flashed shooting ability and athleticism plenty of times this year.

Are you capable of being anything other than the most over the top whiney pessimist possible all the time?

Like yeah we get it, the team really sucks. The program got burnt to the ground and we've lost three guys that would otherwise start. We get it. You don't have to pull the fire alarm with every post it's ridiculous.

We also have a bunch of freshman who are developmental players. It just takes time to for some guys to develop.
Believe me when I say I am sick of you also and we have Archie so we will win the A-10 mentality also. All your statements are based on no facts other than that Archie was successful 6 seasons ago when he coached. Anyone can see that these freshman have no talent. I am not on the in 4-5 years program we will be good. Harris was never part of the team and it wasn’t going to make a difference. Bray was a mistake and Bilau is a nice piece or role player, but not going to push them over the top
So my more positive opinion isn't based on facts, but your exhausting negativity is?

The fact that Archie coached these guys to wins over Fordham and Dayton and almost beat VCU is nothing short of miraculous. The freshman will get better. There will be departures from the program and we will get transfers.

Have you never seen freshmen suck before? Its worse when they all have to olay together. We've had countless good rhody players suck big time as freshman.

Like yes you are correct about their ineptitude, but you never acknowledge anything positive ever! It's just unreasonable to think that way.

And yes I'm still betting on Archie because of what he did in this league six years ago. Why not? He's already competing and beating the best teams in the league right now. What coaches are vastly superior than him or have similar success in the A-10? None.
At this point I really don’t care. I mean a home win over Fordham and an average Dayton team is success?? If the freshman looked good and we’re developing it would be one thing, but this is not the case with this team. Archie didn’t do a good job this year. I expect him to do better next year, but this year was a complete miss
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Remember when Ramster said we’d cover the spread every game the rest of the season and be a team opponents wouldn’t want to face in Brooklyn?

Lol
You wouldn't want to face this team in Brooklyn, because that would mean your team is also at the very bottom of the conference?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Any idea why the turnout for the '98 team was so small? Tough to "honor teams/players of the past if they can't/won't show up.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Any idea why the turnout for the '98 team was so small? Tough to "honor teams/players of the past if they can't/won't show up.
I know Georgia and Brown are playing today so that eliminated Wheeler and ARD.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Tilted Barn will DEFINITELY not be a disappointment. Their DIPAs are world class.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Any idea why the turnout for the '98 team was so small? Tough to "honor teams/players of the past if they can't/won't show up.
Was because the core of the team are active D-1 coaches that have games today lol, poor job on Rhody athletics scheduling side
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am pretty sure it was addressed in the Honor thread yesterday
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yeah he's a nutter. They were up by 24 and he was
SCREAMING at his players.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago This is like watching Jerry Duh's team play Temple.
That game at the PCC versus Temple was the worst Rhody game I have ever witnessed in person. Here is a recap of the most inept URI performance ever:

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

After the game, Jerry Duh said, "we competed." Swear to God.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Did not read all yet. Last couple of minutes, Archie was clearly pissed, maybe even barely participated in late game TO huddle. Nice to see Jim Harrick in house.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Unfortunately, this team is not too far off from being that bad. Like, they had a nice offensive set, the ball moved around great and it left Martin for a wide open 3. As it was happening I said out loud, Great we pass it to the guy who can't shoot. The Umass fan behind me repeated what I said to his friend. Martin airballed the 3.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Unfortunately, this team is not too far off from being that bad. Like, they had a nice offensive set, the ball moved around great and it left Martin for a wide open 3. As it was happening I said out loud, Great we pass it to the guy who can't shoot. The Umass fan behind me repeated what I said to his friend. Martin airballed the 3.
4v5 with Martin on offense.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Lol
You wouldn't want to face this team in Brooklyn, because that would mean your team is also at the very bottom of the conference?

I like the spin zone.
Go Rhody