2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by steviep123 »

I will add, that while moral victories kind of suck and all, Rothstein on the post game did have some nice things to say about Rhody and Archie Miller and expects them to be at the top of the A10 in a couple of years. In all from a "I'm just watching, not a fan of any team" perspective, it was a good A10 double header showcase as both games - VCU/Dayton and SLU/Rhody were down to the end.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I watched the first half and the last 5 mins (dozed off on the couch at half time to wake up with 5 or 6 left). Liked that we kept in it the whole way and did better than expected. Going on that 10-2 run late to go from 8 down with 3 to play to tied at 71 was great. I thought the key from there was stalling with a minute left tied with the ball and then forcing what wasn't a great look, then we give up the dagger 3. After coming back with the run, I think it would be better to be more assertive as SLU was sort of on the ropes there or at least the pressure was on them. I guess the take some time off isn't bad, but there wasn't a good look after. Work the ball around if you are going to stall and get a good open look.
With 2:21 left Martin banked in the 3P we got within 66-69

Time out was called

At 1:58 Carey fouled Jimerson. It was an unnecessary foul and especially bad considering Jimerson is a great shooter. Carey does those low BB IQ things at times and this was one of them. 2 FTs we go down 66-71

Freeman hits a 3P, Leggett gets a big steal gets fouled and makes 2 clutch FTs to tie it 71-71 with 1:34 to go

31 seconds left Jimerson gets the ball, fakes a shot, Carey goes flying by going for the block, then Jimerson calmly hits the wide open 3P to go 71-74. Ball game.

Carey defense was not good last 2 minutes
C385D1A3-52AE-4C1F-8F72-418F4F8D9D10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Bray has got to stop playing like this. It’s erratic.
Worst I’ve seen all year.
To my eyes, that was an average game for him. He is a streaky scorer. The difficulty of the shot he attempts, does not factor into his success %. When he is hot, he makes everything. When he is cold he misses everything. If he could be more selective with his drives to the bucket, his % would get somewhat better, but I don't think his game is going to change. Archie has been trying, but I can't say that I've seen much improvement. I think Archie thought he could become a PG, but I don't think so. Not in his DNA.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

If you're going to knock off that much time, especially with 40 sec left in a tie game, make sure it's a good shot. I'm a big Bray fan (when he's not playing erratically), but that was not a smart shot. Anyways, yesterday had some really fun moments. Seeing Rory nail down those 3s was a sign of good things to come next season. I've been hoping for a "go to guy" to hit those shots, and maybe he can be one of them w/ Dubsky.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Bray has got to stop playing like this. It’s erratic.
To my eyes, that was an average game for him. He is a streaky scorer. The difficulty of the shot he attempts, does not factor into his success %. When he is hot, he makes everything. When he is cold he misses everything. If he could be more selective with his drives to the bucket, his % would get somewhat better, but I don't think his game is going to change. Archie has been trying, but I can't say that I've seen much improvement. I think Archie thought he could become a PG, but I don't think so. Not in his DNA.
Yeah, he's more of a combo guard. He doesn't pass enough to be a PG.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

He had 5 turnovers, zero assists and had 3 of his shots blocked.
His lone 3P attempt clanked badly off the rim.
Carey is now 1-17 on 3Ps over his last 8 games for 6%. He is down to 19% for the season.

Carey was 2nd worst -7, Tchikou was a game worst -18, Stewart was +7 for the +/- stat

CF8CD178-B7EE-4D62-A958-A4B1C92B624C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
He had 5 turnovers, zero assists and had 3 of his shots blocked.
His lone 3P attempt clanked badly off the rim.
Carey is now 1-17 on 3Ps over his last 8 games for 6%. He is down to 19% for the season.

Carey was 2nd worst -7, Tchikou was a game worst -18, Stewart was +7 for the +/- stat

CF8CD178-B7EE-4D62-A958-A4B1C92B624C.jpeg
I was talking about Bray being a CG, but yeah, Carey’a 3 Pt % has dropped dramatically this season.
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I watched the first half and the last 5 mins (dozed off on the couch at half time to wake up with 5 or 6 left). Liked that we kept in it the whole way and did better than expected. Going on that 10-2 run late to go from 8 down with 3 to play to tied at 71 was great. I thought the key from there was stalling with a minute left tied with the ball and then forcing what wasn't a great look, then we give up the dagger 3. After coming back with the run, I think it would be better to be more assertive as SLU was sort of on the ropes there or at least the pressure was on them. I guess the take some time off isn't bad, but there wasn't a good look after. Work the ball around if you are going to stall and get a good open look.

Time out was called

At 1:58 Carey fouled Jimerson. It was an unnecessary foul and especially bad considering Jimerson is a great shooter. Carey does those low BB IQ things at times and this was one of them. 2 FTs we go down 66-71

Freeman hits a 3P, Leggett gets a big steal gets fouled and makes 2 clutch FTs to tie it 71-71 with 1:34 to go

31 seconds left Jimerson gets the ball, fakes a shot, Carey goes flying by going for the block, then Jimerson calmly hits the wide open 3P to go 71-74. Ball game.

I don't disagree - in between there we had the ball with a minute to play with the tie, and Freeman I think was near the half court line just dribbling and dribbling, then made a move with around 8 - 10 seconds on the shot clock that turned into a miss of a lower percentage shot. Not a great play. After that, the dagger 3 pointer. Yes that was poor d, but I would have liked something better than sitting for 15-20 seconds and a reasonable chance at a basket before that. Then you are at worst down 1 instead of 3 with 30 secs left. Leggetts quick 3 after that wasn't great either. Would have liked something more open if going for a 3.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

Time out was called

I don't disagree - in between there we had the ball with a minute to play with the tie, and Freeman I think was near the half court line just dribbling and dribbling, then made a move with around 8 - 10 seconds on the shot clock that turned into a miss of a lower percentage shot. Not a great play. After that, the dagger 3 pointer. Yes that was poor d, but I would have liked something better than sitting for 15-20 seconds and a reasonable chance at a basket before that. Then you are at worst down 1 instead of 3 with 30 secs left. Leggetts quick 3 after that wasn't great either. Would have liked something more open if going for a 3.
The Leggett 3 was great and could not have been a better call.

On the road, down 3, perfect out of bounds play and Leggett was wide open. Couldn't ask for anything more than that.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Time out was called

Stevie,
Agree with you on the excessive dribbling by Freeman.
Once Jimerson hit the wide open 3P at 31 seconds Miller called a Time Out at 28 seconds.

Leggett started top of the key as we inbounded the ball from the baseline. Leggett came off a nicely orchestrated pick and received the inbounds pass and got off his 3P. It was a called play from the bench during the Time out.
Miller wanted Leggett taking the 3P, it just didn't go in nor did we grab the offensive rebound.

EC595FF5-7C9A-4BA3-87F5-29DEC0510203.jpeg
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'll have to watch the replay - I don't recall him being open - thought it was rushed and well contested. Of course, I might be overtired/misremembering, or confusing this 3 with an earlier one, so until I can watch again, I'll take your word for it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Carey stays on my 'not an A10 player' list.
Stewart moves up to 'maybe' list.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Malik with the luckiest 3 in history.
He called it
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pretty sure Jalen is gone think he and Arch have an agreement this is his last go round , just my guess
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Time out was called

Stevie,
Once Jimerson hit the wide open 3P at 31 seconds Miller called a Time Out at 28 seconds.

Leggett started top of the key as we inbounded the ball from the baseline. Leggett came off a nicely orchestrated pick and received the inbounds pass and got off his 3P. It was a called play from the bench during the Time out.
Miller wanted Leggett taking the 3P, it just didn't go in nor did we grab the offensive rebound.

Check out the replay and how Carey watched the shot go up from the opposite side of the 3pt arc, and reacted way too late to attempt a rebound of the miss. He had a terrible game. Along with his poor offense, he gave up a lot of 3pt'ers on defense.
So you have to ask yourself, how the heck did we make it a close game with poor performances from Carey and Freeman, and mediocre games, at best (other than Rory) from the rest of our team? Wait until we get some talent!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is there a replay of the game?
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Hopefully Estevez can come in as a freshman and take over the point guard duties by mid season.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Stevie,

Check out the replay and how Carey watched the shot go up from the opposite side of the 3pt arc, and reacted way too late to attempt a rebound of the miss. He had a terrible game. Along with his poor offense, he gave up a lot of 3pt'ers on defense.
So you have to ask yourself, how the heck did we make it a close game with poor performances from Carey and Freeman, and mediocre games, at best (other than Rory) from the rest of our team? Wait until we get some talent!
Ish scored 20 on 10 shots. That’s better than a mediocre performance. Brayon basically played right to his averages.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Stevie,

Ish scored 20 on 10 shots. That’s better than a mediocre performance. Brayon basically played right to his averages.
Yep. Leggett had a solid game. An opportunity would be that Leggett needs to be getting more than 10 shots considering he is clearly our best player and Carry got the same 10 shots and Freeman got 16.

Maybe run more plays designed for Leggett like the 3P inbounds play Miller drew up to try to tie the game.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Yep. Leggett had a solid game. An opportunity would be that Leggett needs to be getting more than 10 shots considering he is clearly our best player and Carry got the same 10 shots and Freeman got 16.

Maybe run more plays designed for Leggett like the 3P inbounds play Miller drew up to try to tie the game.
This is a lot easier to say, than put into practice. Volume for the sake of volume isn’t a good thing. You don’t want to lose efficiency.

The challenge is a quick scouting report on URI tells you that if you can guard their lineup 1 through 3 decently well, you should probably win the game. There aren’t any consistent threats at the 4 or 5. That makes scheming up plays for your guards increasingly difficult.

Ish is a great player by all accounts, but Bray and Carey are better shot creators (despite any other flaws they might have). The reason they’re taking so many shots is broken possessions still require a ball to be thrown at the hoop. They give you the best chance of something out of nothing. Also a contributing factor to lower efficiency
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

It is obviously very difficult to run an offense with the starting 5 including Alex and Malik who are both non factors in a half court offense. 5 on 3 won't cut it al all. Malik needs to shoot some mid range jumpers to be effective.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

This is a lot easier to say, than put into practice. Volume for the sake of volume isn’t a good thing. You don’t want to lose efficiency.

The challenge is a quick scouting report on URI tells you that if you can guard their lineup 1 through 3 decently well, you should probably win the game. There aren’t any consistent threats at the 4 or 5. That makes scheming up plays for your guards increasingly difficult.

Ish is a great player by all accounts, but Bray and Carey are better shot creators (despite any other flaws they might have). The reason they’re taking so many shots is broken possessions still require a ball to be thrown at the hoop. They give you the best chance of something out of nothing. Also a contributing factor to lower efficiency
Ish took 14 free throws. That is somewhere around 7 shots he attempted that doesn't get recorded as a fg attempt because of the foul. Still gets the points so now your looking at about 17 shots he took this game..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sorry I don’t buy that.
Carey is now shooting worse on 3Ps than Thomas. He has hit 1-17 on 3 pointers over the last 9 games for 6%.
Many times Freeman and Carey dribble down the court and don’t pass the ball one time. They never stop dribbling, back down inside , get the ball stolen, get the shot blocked, miss the shot or they score. The other 4 guys just watch. They are both score first, pass second type players. Both are scorers, not shooters.
Both can and do make tremendous circus shots very capable of making ESPN Top 10 and the media raves about such shots.
Both have serious flaws in playing defense in terms of consistent effort and focus.
Miller has his hands full with both of them. Most times when they are pulled it’s because of a poor percentage shot but more often it’s because of a defensive lapse especially with Freeman. If anyone can improve their game it’s Miller, he is trying very hard and gives both a lot of individual coaching.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The more I watch Freeman the more Fatts like I see.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The more I watch Freeman the more Fatts like I see.
I'd heard all this great stuff about Freeman when he transferred in. Preseason All A10 3rd Team pick and all the Media hoopla.I saw him at the preseason scrimmage and my first thought was this guy is all over the court seemingly out of control and reminded me of Fatts and not in a good way.

Miller started Thomas ahead of Freeman to start the season much to the chagrin of RhodyVault and others. I can certainly see why Miller did what he did and applaud him for it. I've been impressed by Miller and often wonder about how good this team might be if Miller could have coached Makhi and Makhel and Walker.

Will be interesting to see if Freeman is on the team next year in my opinion anyway. I'd give it 50-50.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The more I watch Freeman the more Fatts like I see.
I'd heard all this great stuff about Freeman when he transferred in. Preseason All A10 3rd Team pick and all the Media hoopla.I saw him at the preseason scrimmage and my first thought was this guy is all over the court seemingly out of control and reminded me of Fatts and not in a good way.

Miller started Thomas ahead of Freeman to start the season much to the chagrin of RhodyVault and others. I can certainly see why Miller did what he did and applaud him for it. I've been impressed by Miller and often wonder about how good this team might be if Miller could have coached Makhi and Makhel and Walker.

Will be interesting to see if Freeman is on the team next year in my opinion anyway. I'd give it 50-50.
Yes, this has kinda been discussed here a bit, reference was made to his hoops DNA etc. For me, coaching a player up is a different animal than coaching bad habits etc out of a players game. Unless of course the player is super open to it. Yes, we will see.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I've been watching the Mitchell's and Walker all year.

We could have very easily won the A-10 if we had them.

They've all played really well this year. Makhel just went 7-9 for 15 points and 5 blocks against defending national player of the year Oscar Tschebwe who finished with only 7 points.

Not saying Archie did anything wrong, but it wouldn't have been the worst thing if they stayed...
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, this has kinda been discussed here a bit, reference was made to his hoops DNA etc. For me, coaching a player up is a different animal than coaching bad habits etc out of a players game. Unless of course the player is super open to it. Yes, we will see.
They are similar, but there's not going to be a Fatts situation. If there are better players around he won't force as much.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

He already got his "free" transfer, and Miller isn't getting fired, so he would likely have to sit out a year unless he can manufacture some other reason. Miller recruited him here and he's playing 29 MPG, so ultimately I'd be very surprised if he left after this year. Players have mostly been leaving various programs if they aren't playing (doesn't apply) or if they can transfer to a higher level program (hard to think a Power conference school would want to be Freeman's third school in three years). I think it's more likely that he would leave after he earns his degree, whether it's after 2023-24 or the year after that.

Per 40 minutes, Freeman's assists are down 1.6 from last year at GW, but his points are up 4.8, FTA up 1.6, and he's cut his fouls from 3.5 to 2.3. His PER has budged up slightly, from 14.6 to 14.9, which is usually the level of an average starter. Yeah, he makes frustrating decisions with the ball at times. But like Fatts, that shouldn't distract from the fact that he's a net positive.

Like many other issues with this particular team, he probably looks worse because he's only average, similar to how Martin and Carey's issues get exaggerated. Leggett could start on almost any A-10 team at his current level; Freeman, Martin and Carey are borderline starters on most teams, and definite rotation players on every team. That gets us to four out of 11 scholarship players that meet "near average or better" standards, not even enough for a starting lineup. (For comparison's sake - The 2017-18 squad had six regulars with PERs that were 16+, along with three more players with PERs of 11.5+ off the bench.)
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

They've all played really well this year. Makhel just went 7-9 for 15 points and 5 blocks against defending national player of the year Oscar Tschebwe who finished with only 7 points.

Not saying Archie did anything wrong, but it wouldn't have been the worst thing if they stayed...
We would have been a lot better, sure, but the coach that recruited them got fired. I'm not going to fault anyone for transferring out in that case, or, fault Miller for being unable to retain them.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree with you both and will add that it is a cat and mouse game with the opposition.

Good stuff.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

He already got his "free" transfer, and Miller isn't getting fired, so he would likely have to sit out a year unless he can manufacture some other reason. Miller recruited him here and he's playing 29 MPG, so ultimately I'd be very surprised if he left after this year. Players have mostly been leaving various programs if they aren't playing (doesn't apply) or if they can transfer to a higher level program (hard to think a Power conference school would want to be Freeman's third school in three years). I think it's more likely that he would leave after he earns his degree, whether it's after 2023-24 or the year after that.

Per 40 minutes, Freeman's assists are down 1.6 from last year at GW, but his points are up 4.8, FTA up 1.6, and he's cut his fouls from 3.5 to 2.3. His PER has budged up slightly, from 14.6 to 14.9, which is usually the level of an average starter. Yeah, he makes frustrating decisions with the ball at times. But like Fatts, that shouldn't distract from the fact that he's a net positive.

Like many other issues with this particular team, he probably looks worse because he's only average, similar to how Martin and Carey's issues get exaggerated. Leggett could start on almost any A-10 team at his current level; Freeman, Martin and Carey are borderline starters on most teams, and definite rotation players on every team. That gets us to four out of 11 scholarship players that meet "near average or better" standards, not even enough for a starting lineup. (For comparison's sake - The 2017-18 squad had six regulars with PERs that were 16+, along with three more players with PERs of 11.5+ off the bench.)
I am not an all in metrics guy, SG, but that is good info. Thanks!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bottom line, good post. Numbers sometimes lie. Game tape don’t lie. Scheming ways to shut down our Rams isn’t rocket surgery.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Stevie,

I'm sorry BAR, but I try not to over hype our players. I would consider Ish's game a mediocre performance from our best player. Anything much less, I would consider an off game. As for Freeman's line, FG38%, 3PT25%, FT50%, TO4, it may meet his "averages", but certainly below what I expect from a starting guard on a good Rhody team. I stand by my previous position.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Ramster, I agree completely. In my eyes, Freeman is a poor man's Fatts. Same DNA. I just don't think Archie will ever be able to get him can to change. And he will see less time when new recruits are added.

And I was always impressed with the potential of the Mitchel twins. I just couldn't believe how many KB'ers wanted them gone. With a good coach like Archie, my goodness, I think they could have been two of our best legit bigs. The talent was there, just waiting to be developed. It could be a long time before we get 6'10 players with similar abilities. I hope not.

50-50! I agree
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramster, I agree completely. In my eyes, Freeman is a poor man's Fatts. Same DNA. I just don't think Archie will ever be able to get him can to change. And he will see less time when new recruits are added.

And I was always impressed with the potential of the Mitchel twins. I just couldn't believe how many KB'ers wanted them gone. With a good coach like Archie, my goodness, I think they could have been two of our best legit bigs. The talent was there, just waiting to be developed. It could be a long time before we get 6'10 players with similar abilities. I hope not.

50-50! I agree
Ha, it's kind of weird to me that you have that mindset about Fatts, but *then*, an almost opposite mindset about the Mitchell twins. Do you just hate guards or something? ;) But - I think the Mitchells play at URI vs. at Arkansas, as well as Freeman's play at the beginning of the year vs. now, are examples of how a good coach can change a player. You obviously can't project that every player will respond in the same way, or that they'll just keep improving. But to me, Freeman is worth keeping and playing even with the warts in his game.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

50-50! I agree
Ha, it's kind of weird to me that you have that mindset about Fatts, but *then*, an almost opposite mindset about the Mitchell twins. Do you just hate guards or something? ;) But - I think the Mitchells play at URI vs. at Arkansas, as well as Freeman's play at the beginning of the year vs. now, are examples of how a good coach can change a player. You obviously can't project that every player will respond in the same way, or that they'll just keep improving. But to me, Freeman is worth keeping and playing even with the warts in his game.
I am okay with Bray and feel the staff will continue to work with him and reel in his game.
He has plenty of talent can shoot and create, something we are currently short of.
I would be very surprised if he leaves.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I think folks are having a little trouble seeing the trees vs the forest when it comes to Bray.

Part of his inefficiency can be coached up, another part of it is what else is the team going to do? The roster around him doesn’t have enough scorers to allow him to eliminate all his bad shots. Some of his “bad shots” have a better chance of going in than some other guys “good shots”

Put a better surrounding cast on the floor, specifically more shooters, and it will all fall into place

Not sure who you all would like to replace him with.Guards who shoot 50% from the floor taking 15 shots a game don’t exactly grow on trees. And the trees that they seldomly grow on are next door to P5 schools.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

50-50! I agree
I agree also , I feel if Arch can upgrade over Bray he would but someone said he used up his free transfer so if he has to sit out a year then I don’t see him leaving
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We would have been a lot better, sure, but the coach that recruited them got fired. I'm not going to fault anyone for transferring out in that case, or, fault Miller for being unable to retain them.

The twins wanted to stay. After their convo with Archie they decided to leave.

Bray has to be selfish. Bray needs to force shots. Archie is doing a hell of a job coaching him this year and I really hope he sticks around. He could end up being a very good player for thie program.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

People say plenty of things when the talk isn't binding. I kind of doubt they actually wanted to stick around, because if they did, they could have, and I took their IG statements as more them saving face. (It does cut both ways - I doubt Archie was being sincere when he was talking about the upside of players coming into this season, for example, vs. what his honest evaluation is.)
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I’m surprised at how many people are down on Freeman. I agree he’s not a pure point guard but he can get to the rim and score. Our options are so limited on offense there will be some bad shots. Ish threw a couple prayers up too but got the fouls called.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

People say plenty of things when the talk isn't binding. I kind of doubt they actually wanted to stick around, because if they did, they could have, and I took their IG statements as more them saving face. (It does cut both ways - I doubt Archie was being sincere when he was talking about the upside of players coming into this season, for example, vs. what his honest evaluation is.)
It probably doesn't matter since they aren't here anymore and they have moved on, but I spoke to someone close to them about it (I'm sure you could guess who), and they said the twins were ready to stick around, and Archie pushed them out. Even if that wasn't Archie's intent, that's how the twins felt, and that's why they left.

Who knows what the real truth is.

Let's hope our big men keep making progress. Tchikou has been solid on the defensive end and the offense seems to be coming along.

We had a few people on here that already given up on Rory. Hopefully, he keeps improving. He's shooting 40% from 3 in our last 10 games. He had a couple go in and out as well. You can tell the game is slowing down for him. He's getting abused on D though.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

It probably doesn't matter since they aren't here anymore and they have moved on, but I spoke to someone close to them about it (I'm sure you could guess who), and they said the twins were ready to stick around, and Archie pushed them out. Even if that wasn't Archie's intent, that's how the twins felt, and that's why they left.

Let's hope our big men keep making progress. Tchikou has been solid on the defensive end and the offense seems to be coming along.

We had a few people on here that already given up on Rory. Hopefully, he keeps improving. He's shooting 40% from 3 in our last 10 games. He had a couple go in and out as well. You can tell the game is slowing down for him. He's getting abused on D though.
Can confirm Mitchell’s wanted to stay here and I can’t blame Archie for wanting to move past them one bit. However, he really wanted Antwan but we didn’t have NIL deal for him so he left and got one at Bryant.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

didn't read all of this, but, I think volume for the sake of "Rory from three" volume is something that must be pursued.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago

Can confirm Mitchell’s wanted to stay here and I can’t blame Archie for wanting to move past them one bit. However, he really wanted Antwan but we didn’t have NIL deal for him so he left and got one at Bryant.
If that's the case with Antwan, that's pretty embarrassing.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago

If that's the case with Antwan, that's pretty embarrassing.
That would be pretty funny, too....like, if for only another $1,790 or $2,500.....he'd still be here..... grrrrrrrr
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bray has to be selfish. Bray needs to force shots. Archie is doing a hell of a job coaching him this year and I really hope he sticks around. He could end up being a very good player for thie program.
I agree with your last paragraph. Brayon, in only two more minutes a game, is taking 2.3 more two point attempts per game and 2.7 more three point attempts per game, so 5 more shots a game compared to last year in only two extra minutes. His assists are down .9 per game with two extra minutes.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... man-1.html

Now, what do we think is more likely here? That Brayon has decided to morph into Fatts this year and take all of the shots and Archie's just saying "cool" and not bothering to do anything even though he doesn't think this is optimal, or have Brayon and Archie decided that he needs to take more shots because we have so many offensively limited players? Considering how Archie has handled Brayon this year, I'm going out on a limb and saying it's the latter situation.

Now for those that have an issue with Freeman's play, they can say Archie is wrong and needs to reign in the amount of shots Brayon is taking, but then you need to tell me who should be taking those shots in his place and how the offense should look instead. Should we give more time to an overmatched and not as good player in Thomas? Should we have a more turnover prone Carey have more of the ball handling duties? More 3 pointers from Malik, Thomas, and Carey? You can say he hasn't been near efficient enough from 2 point range, I'd agree with that, but overall, considering the entirety of the roster, this is who Freeman has to be this year and the key is Archie putting better offensive pieces around him so he doesn't have to do so much
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The last sentence says it all for me.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bumping my 50-50 after the St Louis game to 95-5 that Freeman is not here next season.