2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah Blueman. If they hire AI they wouldn't have to practice lmao.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding G’Town, didn’t they complete their state of the art practice facility, that the younger Thompson never got to step foot in? So much for that and a big name Coach being able to attract big time talent.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder who Georgetown will look at if they and Ewing decide to part ways?
I think there best move would be to look totally outside of and not connected to their past glory. Time for an outsider.
They're totally hiring Iverson :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least the pressers would be electric.
And, no practice, BlueMan. We talkin’ practice? :lol:

Bone beat me to it. :lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I thought, when hired, PE would be successful there. Maybe not the success of John T, Sr. but a upper half BE team with periodic March runs.

I thought big’s would be attracted to play for him and learn from him. I thought he would bring a brand of ball that is driven by hard nosed, physical D plus enough O talent to win more than he has.

Probably my age bias clouded my expectation. Wrong for me to think HS and prep recruits and transfers know the history and are attracted to it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I thought, when hired, PE would be successful there. Maybe not the success of John T, Sr. but a upper half BE team with periodic March runs.

I thought big’s would be attracted to play for him and learn from him. I thought he would bring a brand of ball that is driven by hard nosed, physical D plus enough O talent to win more than he has.

Probably my age bias clouded my expectation. Wrong for me to think HS and prep recruits and transfers know the history and are attracted to it.
I think Ewing was an NBA assistant or head coaching candidate for about a decade, and got plenty of interviews, but never a head coaching opportunity. I'm now suspecting it's for a reason, based on his tenure at Georgetown. I do think you can still win a national title there - This isn't "Nebraska in football" to me, where they've probably fallen too far behind to return to dominance. Even during Thompson III's tenure, they had a couple teams that finished Top 10 in the final AP poll, for example. And hell, Houston and Gonzaga are apparently now perennial title contenders. You just need to consistently be at a certain threshold in college basketball.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I thought, when hired, PE would be successful there. Maybe not the success of John T, Sr. but a upper half BE team with periodic March runs.

The Big East went with Chris Mullin March 30, 2015 at St Johns - he had no HC Experience

2 years later Georgetown went with Patrick Ewing April 3, 2017 - he also had no HC Experience

There was talk back then among some writers it was risky to pick guys with no HC Experience on any level

Mullin left after several years citing personal reasons

Ewing will be gone end of this season. Doubt they make a move until end of BE Tournament but it could happen as Georgetown fans are now chanting Fire Ewing at home games. Sometimes the fans get so fed up the AD and President are left with little choice
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

The Big East went with Chris Mullin March 30, 2015 at St Johns - he had no HC Experience

2 years later Georgetown went with Patrick Ewing April 3, 2017 - he also had no HC Experience

There was talk back then among some writers it was risky to pick guys with no HC Experience on any level

Mullin left after several years citing personal reasons

Ewing will be gone end of this season. Doubt they make a move until end of BE Tournament but it could happen as Georgetown fans are now chanting Fire Ewing at home games. Sometimes the fans get so fed up the AD and President are left with little choice
I think G'town invested too much in Ewing to fire him...he gets at least one more year.....
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Terrible hires, Ewing and Mullin.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Terrible hires, Ewing and Mullin.
Would've never thought Ewing would be THIS bad

You would think losing 28 Big East games in a row would be impossible

Yikesss
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Yikesss
Yeah 28 in a row ouch !!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Yikesss
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I just saw on the ESPN screen crawl that Brey is stepping down at ND after the end of the season. I am not surprised.

Another big name opening besides TX. Similar somewhat, too as they are both football first and foremost.

I wonder who ND will be interested in form their coming opening?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I just saw on the ESPN screen crawl that Brey is stepping down at ND after the end of the season. I am not surprised.

Another big name opening besides TX. Similar somewhat, too as they are both football first and foremost.

Martin Ingelsby would be my guess, unless they decide to go with a non ND guy, which would kind of surprise me (although I think they should look outside).
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I just saw on the ESPN screen crawl that Brey is stepping down at ND after the end of the season. I am not surprised.

Martin Ingelsby would be my guess, unless they decide to go with a non ND guy, which would kind of surprise me (although I think they should look outside).
Yeah I’m sure he’ll be in the mix playrd for the Irish

I’m sure they have a lot of cash so maybe they aim higher
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I don't see Drew Valentine happening. Not that he's a bad coach, but plucking him after the season they're having won't go over well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

I don't see Drew Valentine happening. Not that he's a bad coach, but plucking him after the season they're having won't go over well.
It shouldn’t go over well. Loyola was picked preseason to finish 4th in the A10
Loyola is dead last in an A10 Conference that, to date, is underachieving and looking like a 1-bid conference.
I’m surprised Valentines name would be coming up at all for a job like Notre Dame with the disaster season he has had so far.

PRESEASON POLL
1. Dayton (22) ... 428
2. Saint Louis (7) ... 411
3. VCU ... 370
4. Loyola Chicago... 315
5. George Mason ... 300
6. Davidson ... 294
7. Richmond ... 276
8. UMASS ... 228
9. Rhode Island...... 203
10. St. Bonaventure ... 194
11. Fordham... 119
12. George Washington... 110
13. Saint Joseph’s ... 107
14. La Salle ... 63
15. Duquesne ... 62

Loyola is 0-6 in A10 for last place and NET 289 for last place in A10.
Crazy how bad a year they have had considering expectations.
13704B71-4C4A-4EF0-9237-50510D429D5C.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loyola is dead last in an A10 Conference that, to date, is underachieving and looking like a 1-bid conference.
I’m surprised Valentines name would be coming up at all for a job like Notre Dame with the disaster season he has had so far.

PRESEASON POLL
1. Dayton (22) ... 428
3. VCU ... 370
4. Loyola Chicago... 315
5. George Mason ... 300
6. Davidson ... 294
7. Richmond ... 276
8. UMASS ... 228
11. Fordham... 119
14. La Salle ... 63
15. Duquesne ... 62

Drew Valentine ha ha he be lucky not to be on the firing line with the season he’s having
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PRESEASON POLL
1. Dayton (22) ... 428
3. VCU ... 370
4. Loyola Chicago... 315
5. George Mason ... 300
6. Davidson ... 294
7. Richmond ... 276
8. UMASS ... 228
11. Fordham... 119
14. La Salle ... 63
15. Duquesne ... 62

Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Beard was being paid 5 M at Texas and Calipari is making 9M per year. My understanding is that Calipari does not have a buyout applicable if he moves on . Kentucky will not fire him and eat something like 35M if they do. Even for Kentucky, that is likely too much to absorb.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Coaching Carousel will be heating up soon

Bobby Hurley on the move???

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/speculatio ... 42399.html
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I wonder if Bobby would want to go to the Big East and potentially face Dan a few times a year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if Bobby would want to go to the Big East and potentially face Dan a few times a year.
That's what the article writer insinuates.....

“ASU’s résumé is still in decent shape, so sneaking into the Big Dance is well within the realm of possibility. But should he fall short, it’d be hard to justify an extension with his contract set to expire in 2024. And regardless of whether he saves his job in Tempe this spring, don’t be surprised if Hurley tries to get involved with jobs back East.”

Those jobs: St. John’s and Georgetown. St. John’s could fire coach Mike Anderson. Georgetown and Patrick Ewing are almost certain to get a divorce at the end of the season. This will be a fascinating set of plot points to monitor.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah that's what had me wondering. Seems like something they would want to avoid, but also depends on what other offers are out there I guess.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I can certainly see him at St. John's over Georgetown. Just spit balling and it's unlikely but if Pitino goes somewhere, does Bobby take on Iona? One would think it's too small a fish, but $$ Talks.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I can certainly see him at St. John's over Georgetown. Just spit balling and it's unlikely but if Pitino goes somewhere, does Bobby take on Iona? One would think it's too small a fish, but $$ Talks.
If and when Bobby Hurley moves on, I think it's going to be for a better job than Iona, unless there are some widespread program issues or NCAA violations coming down the pike for him. Its not like he's been awful at ASU, more of a matter of average performance not matching the expectations of the fan base. I think he would still be in high demand for an East Coast school making a coaching change.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think Bobby's contract runs through 2024.
So maybe much depends on how he finishes the season.
They probably either extend him again or let him go, not sure ASU retains him as a lame duck HC 23-24.
This season he started out winning his first 11 0f 12 games and since now have lost 5 of their last 6.

Let's face it I wouldn't exactly call ASU a hot P5 program.
Herb Sendek wasn't any better there.
Prior to that Bill Frieder did take them to the Sweet 16 in '95 but soon after left due to a point shaving scandal.

If St. Johns opens up maybe but doubtful.
I don't see him at Georgetown.
More likely a higher-level mid-major.

Curious to see where these 3 coaches who had much more success end up: Turgeon, Crean, Marshall.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely can see Bobby leaving ASU after this season
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with you Reef. I'd guess St Johns or Georgetown. Possibly a position not on the radar yet such as an unexpected retirement or firing. No lower than a P6 level school.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Definitely can see Bobby leaving ASU after this season
My guess is aUConn🙈
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Definitely can see Bobby leaving ASU after this season
My guess is aUConn🙈
Just a guess on my part, but if he is let go, I could see him joining Dan’s staff for a year or two to reset his direction - if a spot opens on Dan’s staff, that is.

Perhaps Ace will drop in to give us her thoughts.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Heard that there are some rumblings about Micah Shrewsberry being a target for an opening (like Georgetown) if Penn St can make a minor correction and finish the season strong and get into the tournament. Should Penn St finish the season strong, that's one more potential competitor for Bobby if he leaves ASU.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see Bobby not wanting to coach against DH so maybe he doesn’t land in the BE
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I have a feeling Bobby is staying put, much depends on how they finish the season.
They have slightly improved in 21-22 over the previous season and are better this year.
Pre-Season All-Conference big Marcus Bagley only played the first 2 games, had an injury and then got suspended.

They have some talented young players and Bobby signed a couple of 4* recruits (23-24)
I don't think ASU parts ways with him unless something unforeseen happens.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

We can cross St. John's off the list. Zags saying they aren't parting ways with Mike Anderson
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There could be a couple ACC jobs opening up maybe one of those for Bobby if he leaves ASU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find Ramster , Ewing and Fox definitely gone and I would expect a few more on that list as well to receive their pink slips
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Travis Ford as the replacement at Ole Miss? St. Louis has underperformed this year and he's gone to 1 tournament in his six previous years at St. Louis. Why would he be in line for a promotion?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That one is a head scratcher for me, too, Rhowdy. The only reason I could think of at this moment - and it is admittedly a stretch - is because he played in the SEC.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think his P6 coaching days are over but you never know
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

P6 job for Bray or something lower ??
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No surprise, it was just a matter of time, but Greg Heiar officially out at New Mexico State

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... greg-heiar
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago No surprise, it was just a matter of time, but Greg Heiar officially out at New Mexico State

Yep, one of the shortest HC tenures ever, didn't even make through the end of his first season.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago No surprise, it was just a matter of time, but Greg Heiar officially out at New Mexico State

Yep, one of the shortest HC tenures ever, didn't even make through the end of his first season.
Good. The reports coming out of there are nauseating. Heiar ducking police when they came to ask him about what happened shows he knew something was happening and let it slide.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder if Bobby would want to go to the Big East and potentially face Dan a few times a year.
I can only imagine that I’d be dead from stress by mid-February.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
I can only imagine that I’d be dead from stress by mid-February.
Welcome back Ace.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Good. The reports coming out of there are nauseating. Heiar ducking police when they came to ask him about what happened shows he knew something was happening and let it slide.
What a disaster that New Mexico St situation turned out , can’t recall the last time a team forfeited the rest of a season ??
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

What a disaster that New Mexico St situation turned out , can’t recall the last time a team forfeited the rest of a season ??
The Bonnies forfeited two or three games, and the A-10 tournament, to end 2003. There are others, but yeah, it's pretty rare.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Baylor didn't compete in the 2004 Big 12 tournament due to the Dave Bliss scandals