2/1 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/1 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Yup. The twins wanted to stay. I was very, very excited to see them under Archie and was letdown when they were pushed out. We could have won the A10 tournament with Archie coaching and them on this roster. I truly believe that. The A10 sucks that bad.
Keeping them would have undoubtedly made out roster more talented, but I'm not sure how you keep them on this team and lay the successful groundwork for a program where you're saying attitude is everything. Also, would Ish have made the leap he did this year if the lane was clogged up like last year? And if the lane isn't clogged up, are you taking full advantage of keeping the twins?
Keeping the twins would've delayed the inevitable rebuild another year from what it is. And who's to say if even Archie could've reeled them in? They would've still been the big fish in a little pond. Now they are the opposite relatively speaking. IMO it would not have been worthwhile and I'm glad they are gone. Wish Walker was still here though.
Or...Rhody woulda won so much, there was more attraction from better players, and the bottom would've been slightly higher? Who knows, can't really question it at this point...onward.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Bill Koch wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago My opinion of the group:

Can Star on an A10 Title Contender:
ISH
BRAY

Can Start on an A10 Title Contender:
Weston

Can be an Impact Player on an A10 Title Contender:
Tchikou

Jury's Out:
Foumena
Hutchinson
Bilau (injury impact?)

Part of Program but likely low impact:
Stewart

Not Part of Future:
Samb
Martin
Carey (he will choose not to use his eligibility)
Thomas
Just to be up front -- this isn't piling on you, 104. It's more a general commentary. Your template provides the perfect vehicle for side-by-side comparison.

This was the rotation (Akele did not play) for the last NCAA Tournament win at URI -- OT against Oklahoma, 2018. This is also the season usage percentage of minutes played for an A10 champion in 2017-18 -- 26-8 overall, 15-3 league.

Dowtin 81.5% -- Garrett 50.7%
Terrell 82.3% -- Russell 44.5%
Matthews 58.8%
Robinson 66.8%
Berry 43.4% -- Langevine 41.0%

Can you make a realistic case that any player currently in the program would be an improvement on any part of that eight-man rotation? Leggett would get some minutes on that team -- I don't see how he starts. Freeman wouldn't play bench minutes over Garrett or Russell because he isn't a pure point guard and doesn't defend. Weston wouldn't get minutes at the expense of Terrell, Matthews or Robinson. None of the bigs would displace Berry or Langevine.

I think in terms of Year 1 in a rebuild the effort level has been encouraging. You can certainly see some stretches where they run decent offense and show the requisite grit on defense. But the talent level will take multiple recruiting classes -- player development and the transfer portal -- to reach a truly competitive place at or near near the top of the league. The eventual winning solution might not involve any more than one or two players currently on this roster.
All very fair! As they exist today, I agree, they wouldn’t play on that team. I think Weston, Ish, and Bray all have the capability to play on a team that contends for an A10 championship. I think contend, in my mind, means top 4 finish. As you pointed out - we’re not in the same universe as that special team in 2018.

I believe Bray and Ish, if they stay, will play on an NCAA tournament team. Its on Archie to bring them the pieces to make that a reality.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago My opinion of the group:

Can Star on an A10 Title Contender:
ISH
BRAY

Can Start on an A10 Title Contender:
Weston

Can be an Impact Player on an A10 Title Contender:
Tchikou

Jury's Out:
Foumena
Hutchinson
Bilau (injury impact?)

Part of Program but likely low impact:
Stewart

Not Part of Future:
Samb
Martin
Carey (he will choose not to use his eligibility)
Thomas
Just to be up front -- this isn't piling on you, 104. It's more a general commentary. Your template provides the perfect vehicle for side-by-side comparison.

This was the rotation (Akele did not play) for the last NCAA Tournament win at URI -- OT against Oklahoma, 2018. This is also the season usage percentage of minutes played for an A10 champion in 2017-18 -- 26-8 overall, 15-3 league.

Matthews 58.8%
Robinson 66.8%

Can you make a realistic case that any player currently in the program would be an improvement on any part of that eight-man rotation? Leggett would get some minutes on that team -- I don't see how he starts. Freeman wouldn't play bench minutes over Garrett or Russell because he isn't a pure point guard and doesn't defend. Weston wouldn't get minutes at the expense of Terrell, Matthews or Robinson. None of the bigs would displace Berry or Langevine.

I think in terms of Year 1 in a rebuild the effort level has been encouraging. You can certainly see some stretches where they run decent offense and show the requisite grit on defense. But the talent level will take multiple recruiting classes -- player development and the transfer portal -- to reach a truly competitive place at or near near the top of the league. The eventual winning solution might not involve any more than one or two players currently on this roster.
All very fair! As they exist today, I agree, they wouldn’t play on that team. I think Weston, Ish, and Bray all have the capability to play on a team that contends for an A10 championship. I think contend, in my mind, means top 4 finish. As you pointed out - we’re not in the same universe as that special team in 2018.

I believe Bray and Ish, if they stay, will play on an NCAA tournament team. Its on Archie to bring them the pieces to make that a reality.
I'm not seeing it. Not in the recruits coming. Just not seeing it yet.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago

Matthews 58.8%
Robinson 66.8%

I'm not seeing it. Not in the recruits coming. Just not seeing it yet.
104, your timeline is ahead of mine.
My thought is year 4 when Archie will get us to the Dance, Ish and Bray will not be on that roster.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Keeping them would have undoubtedly made out roster more talented, but I'm not sure how you keep them on this team and lay the successful groundwork for a program where you're saying attitude is everything. Also, would Ish have made the leap he did this year if the lane was clogged up like last year? And if the lane isn't clogged up, are you taking full advantage of keeping the twins?
Keeping the twins would've delayed the inevitable rebuild another year from what it is. And who's to say if even Archie could've reeled them in? They would've still been the big fish in a little pond. Now they are the opposite relatively speaking. IMO it would not have been worthwhile and I'm glad they are gone. Wish Walker was still here though.
Or...Rhody woulda won so much, there was more attraction from better players, and the bottom would've been slightly higher? Who knows, can't really question it at this point...onward.
Twins proved this year they could be coached. They are completely different players in Arkansas.

We would have been waaaaaaay better with them. Them and Walker? Shooooot. I agree with you. More W's better transfers.

I have no doubt Archie will get us where we want to go, but I think you need to cash in on the portal at this level in a big way.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
This is less true today because most players at this level have been playing highly competitive AAU ball since the eighth grade. I said "less true" because there are "diamonds in the rough" who are late developers or have not followed the usual path. These players can make great progress between their freshman and sophomore years.
The counter to that is most kids these days do a 5th year at prep. Lou did not and enrolled the more traditional way straight out of high school. He is a full year behind in experience vs similar FR in the league/country. Lou (and other kids his age) missed 6-12 months of competitive team basketball due to Covid. The A10 has been defined as a league full of "diamonds in the rough", seldom are their A10 freshmen that come in and make an impact. We are a league of 2 and 3 star kids that take time to develop. Don't think AAU has changed that dynamic all that much.
"Most kids these days do a 5th year at prep." Do you have some data or reference points to back that up? Or is that an observational hunch based on the teams you've watched?

I'm just curious. I don't know one way or the other if "most" kids do a 5th year.
Not a scientific sample but of our 3 true FR 2 of them came from prep schools. NEPSAC dominates the region. Plenty of articles citing the amount of talent lost from NYC public and private leagues to the prep ranks.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Twins proved this year they could be coached. They are completely different players in Arkansas.

We would have been waaaaaaay better with them. Them and Walker? Shooooot. I agree with you. More W's better transfers.

I have no doubt Archie will get us where we want to go, but I think you need to cash in on the portal at this level in a big way.
For a lot of people there's a difference in willingness to be coached on a preseason top 25 team/in season potentially tournament bound team vs willingness to be coached on a losing/rebuilding team. After watching this team the last two years I don't think they would have suddenly been difference makers on this year's team
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a pass for me on the twins , yes we would have been much better this season but I am ok with year 1 of the rebuild , those guys were dreadful to root for
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 1 year ago It’s a pass for me on the twins , yes we would have been much better this season but I am ok with year 1 of the rebuild , those guys were dreadful to root for
I wonder if Archie’s main issue was that he wouldn’t have wanted to play them together and figured that would be a sticking point. If I recall, I thought an issue as to why they didn’t receive more interest when transferring from Maryland was that schools didn’t want both of them.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Guess a disastrous game thread is ok to poach further…

Twin 1, Walker, Martin, Freeman, Ish with Weston and twin 2 off the bench (all coached properly of course with a true HC) would be a solid A10 team. Indisputable IMO. Miller chose not to go that route. The result has not been great.

Long term we shall see. The pack line D is a good plan for today’s D1 hoops and the offense generates mostly good scoring opportunities. The hard part is getting the proper talent to run it all at a high level.

It ain’t easy winning in D1 hoops and for certain there’s a LOT we don’t know.

Hopefully (yes I have hope) we will finish strong!

Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wasn’t really sure where else to put this, but it looks like Carey is practicing so that’s good to see.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Wasn’t really sure where else to put this, but it looks like Carey is practicing so that’s good to see.

Oh good I was going to ask about the status of Jalens ankle
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Antwan Walker with a mighty double double against UNH:
20 pts./10 reb. I always liked his game and Cox screwed him worse than anyone else.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Antwan Walker with a mighty double double against UNH:
20 pts./10 reb. I always liked his game and Cox screwed him worse than anyone else.
Most of us loved Twan. I’m happy for him. I think he made the right decision
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think he represented some of the right stuff Archie prefers, No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Yes but we think he wanted to be a main go to guy on a team that was offense first, idk if Archie could’ve guaranteed that for him
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dayton fans now 2nd guessing the departure of Lynn Greer.

They claim he is the only former Flyer to win player of the week for another team in the same conference.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The counter to that is most kids these days do a 5th year at prep. Lou did not and enrolled the more traditional way straight out of high school. He is a full year behind in experience vs similar FR in the league/country. Lou (and other kids his age) missed 6-12 months of competitive team basketball due to Covid. The A10 has been defined as a league full of "diamonds in the rough", seldom are their A10 freshmen that come in and make an impact. We are a league of 2 and 3 star kids that take time to develop. Don't think AAU has changed that dynamic all that much.
"Most kids these days do a 5th year at prep." Do you have some data or reference points to back that up? Or is that an observational hunch based on the teams you've watched?

I'm just curious. I don't know one way or the other if "most" kids do a 5th year.
Not a scientific sample but of our 3 true FR 2 of them came from prep schools. NEPSAC dominates the region. Plenty of articles citing the amount of talent lost from NYC public and private leagues to the prep ranks.
OK, thanks. I was just asking a simple question out of curiosity. I know it's a message board but sometimes opinions are thrown around as facts. (I wasn't looking for a Powerpoint but I know some folks on this board get offended when I ask for some facts to back something up.) In this case, you're simply talking about URI's roster. Fair enough. Understood. And you're talking about teams in the East recruiting...via the NEPSAC.

So I think in the Big Ten, you see many more kids come from the public school system directly into college or transfer to a private prep school but not necessarily for a 5th year. Just casually looking at the roster from Kansas out of the Big 12, I don't see a lot of 5th year prep kids.

There are kids who go to these "high schools" (aka factories) like Monteverde, IMG, etc. as part of the normal progression thru 4 years of high school.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

OK, thanks. I was just asking a simple question out of curiosity. I know it's a message board but sometimes opinions are thrown around as facts. (I wasn't looking for a Powerpoint but I know some folks on this board get offended when I ask for some facts to back something up.) In this case, you're simply talking about URI's roster. Fair enough. Understood. And you're talking about teams in the East recruiting...via the NEPSAC.

So I think in the Big Ten, you see many more kids come from the public school system directly into college or transfer to a private prep school but not necessarily for a 5th year. Just casually looking at the roster from Kansas out of the Big 12, I don't see a lot of 5th year prep kids.

There are kids who go to these "high schools" (aka factories) like Monteverde, IMG, etc. as part of the normal progression thru 4 years of high school.
There may be some regional aspect to it; but also think it's more the reality of the type of kids A10/mid majors recruit. The 5 star or one and done kids are not generally going prep. But the 2-3 star kids are...to gain more strength, up level who they are competing against, upgrade their recruiting profile, etc. And that's moreso the type of kids we/A10 schools will target/land. Believe Estevez and Dubsky are both 5th years?