'23 Football transfer portal (top post updated)

All things Rhody Rams football.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '23 Football transfer portal (top post updated)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can't tell if he got on the field for BC...but he was a 4 star recruit and the #1 player in Massachusetts his senior year in high school.
So it would seem like this is a good pickup. Maybe a replacement for Cornelius.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Grad transfer with 3 years of eligibility....interesting.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Played in their game against Syracuse.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

BC kind of messed with him... is a DL by trade but they moved him to OL this year due to number injuries on their OL. Getting him back at his natural position will help, I think.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago BC kind of messed with him... is a DL by trade but they moved him to OL this year due to number injuries on their OL. Getting him back at his natural position will help, I think.
Where are you seeing that? Going back to his first recruitment where he selected BC over Virginia Tech, Florida State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Duke, Ohio State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Auburn, Clemson, Northwestern, Arkansas, LSU, Nebraska, Purdue, UMass, and Georgia Tech he was listed as an offensive lineman.

Two quick notes about his recruitment out of the class of 2020. We were his very first offer back in February 2017. Virginia Tech would offer him 12 days later. Also, going back to the list of schools that offered above, I put that in the chronological order that 247sports has the offers listed. Good job good effort UMass offering him after all of the previously schools had offered him and he had unofficially visited Duke, North Carolina four times, Boston College twice, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and UCLA. I'm sure he was really holding out for your offer at that point....
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago BC kind of messed with him... is a DL by trade but they moved him to OL this year due to number injuries on their OL. Getting him back at his natural position will help, I think.
Where are you seeing that? Going back to his first recruitment where he selected BC over Virginia Tech, Florida State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Duke, Ohio State, Maryland, Notre Dame, Auburn, Clemson, Northwestern, Arkansas, LSU, Nebraska, Purdue, UMass, and Georgia Tech he was listed as an offensive lineman.

Two quick notes about his recruitment out of the class of 2020. We were his very first offer back in February 2017. Virginia Tech would offer him 12 days later. Also, going back to the list of schools that offered above, I put that in the chronological order that 247sports has the offers listed. Good job good effort UMass offering him after all of the previously schools had offered him and he had unofficially visited Duke, North Carolina four times, Boston College twice, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and UCLA. I'm sure he was really holding out for your offer at that point....
So, if he was in the class of 2020 and he's a grad transfer, does that mean he will have graduated from BC in 3 years?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

So, if he was in the class of 2020 and he's a grad transfer, does that mean he will have graduated from BC in 3 years?
Looks like he enrolled in January of 2020, but I can't say for sure on that or the 3 years part, just going off of what I can see on Twitter and other sources. Certainly sounds like it though
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Weird thing is, he was listed on our 2021 roster after transferring here from Buffalo, but is not on the 2022 roster. Was a backup on that 2021 team and was listed in the wide receiver preview back in July
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

This is my bad. I read the text from my BC fan friend too fast. Here's what he *actually* said:

BC was so banged up at OL but they still wouldn't play Pyne. They instead moved some DLineman to OL and those out-of-position guys still played over Pyne. So it may be debatable as to how good he is, despite the four stars.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... -fits-news

Ajani is the #4 ranked transfer in the country.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... -fits-news

Ajani is the #4 ranked transfer in the country.
Already posted 5 days ago in this thread
jakepnickers wrote: 1 year ago https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... -fits-news

ESPN+ Article Lists Ajani Cornelius as the #4 Best player in the transfer portal, excited to see where he lands!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol OK. Thank you for your service.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

This is my bad. I read the text from my BC fan friend too fast. Here's what he *actually* said:

BC was so banged up at OL but they still wouldn't play Pyne. They instead moved some DLineman to OL and those out-of-position guys still played over Pyne. So it may be debatable as to how good he is, despite the four stars.
Tirek Murphy was also a 4 star recruit and we saw how that worked out.

Hopefully a fresh start will help get Payne going. We don't need him to be Cornelius, just not a liability at tackle.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Grad transfer defensive end with one year of eligibility from Central Connecticut State
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think the 3 DL might be overly optimistic if they think they're moving up.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Iggy-Two of them have FCS offers so far.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

AJ Cornelius selected Oregon yesterday

Talented Rhode Island offensive tackle transfer Ajani Cornelius announced Monday that he will be committing to his next school on Dec. 21 and dropped a top 4 list. Tennessee cracked the final 4, as did Nebraska, Ohio State and Oregon.

According to On3 Sports, Cornelius is the No. 1 available offensive tackle in the transfer portal. He entered his name into the portal in late November.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Word was the Vols passed on AJ

Oregon should be a great fit!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Still curious where Makszin and Brown will end up. Looks like Makszin's best offer is Ball St. Otherwise a bunch of FCS teams.
Brown was talking Rutgers and Florida St. But why would they be interested in someone with 10 tackles.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Thanks for the update. With the additions of Savedge and Summers, not to mention returners like Lee and Erby we had a solid crop of WRs and Wood's production dipped a bit. Woods is currently listed on the spring roster, so it must have been a recent decision.
Any reports on how Spring camp is going?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No news from me Bos8 but the Spring game is coming up soon
16A0CF4C-79D0-4DF6-8D9F-3E5F4C0A41B9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

according to his videos on his social media, he played left guard for B.C.

edit

Sorry was responding to a question about Pyne at the bottom of page 1
Brian Forster
ARD

Woods was good player. This is to be his 2nd transfer/3rd school ?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Jackson Burkhalter entering the portal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Brian Forster
ARD

wow-too bad. Never got a chance.
I mean literally never. seemed into it.
Sure he got the message after spring ball.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago wow-too bad. Never got a chance.
I mean literally never. seemed into it.
Sure he got the message after spring ball.
Good point. Timing of the announcement seems to indicate spring ball being the reason. I would venture to guess he anticipated the opportunity to see the field this year, but with Kasim returning on top of competition from the kid from Temple (Kennique?), the incoming freshman from Texas etc, it probably didn't seem likely get on the field.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Football Transfer Statistics for 2023 Season

Article from The Athletic summarizes status for P5, Group of 5 (G5) and FCS. Compares to prior year

https://theathletic.com/4106540/2023/01 ... -signings/