2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by UCH21377 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I liked Stan Robinson, but Leggett is better than him. It's always tougher to find someone who can score vs. someone who can defend. He's probably better than Iverson too. Phrasing the question as "would you take him over these X players?" seems kind of silly to me. I'm pretty sure Jared Terrell and E.C. Matthews have exhausted their college eligibility, after all. He's pretty much the one player on the roster with clear All-A10 potential right now, averaging about 16 PPG and 6 RPG in 32 MPG, with a PER of 20.3, and it's not like he's compiling these stats in garbage time of 20-plus point blowouts. It's not his fault that the talent around him hasn't been better.
The point I am trying to make is not about who is better than who, but where we stand as a program right now talent-wise compared to NCAA type teams. We will get there but Arch will need some time (2-3 more years) to pull it together.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It’s all about today. Keeping the players you want to keep.
The recruiting and transfer game has changed immensely
Yes Ramster, retaining the talent you want to keep is key.
Give Archie credit for keeping Ish.
Now that his value has significantly improved it may be more difficult if he decides to test the portal.
But that is why we made a "splash" hire and putting the $ into the program.

As I said earlier, I am taking it easy on Archie this season, considering the situation he came into.
Next season is a different story, we need to be able to see much improvement in our player's performances and some needed additions.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No worries, I think if Ish transfers, he will be replaced by a better player. In Arch we.....
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago No worries, I think if Ish transfers, he will be replaced by a better player. In Arch we.....
I don’t know, would be difficult to snag a player with his production in the portal. Maybe you said it tongue -n- cheek
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I liked Stan Robinson, but Leggett is better than him. It's always tougher to find someone who can score vs. someone who can defend. He's probably better than Iverson too. Phrasing the question as "would you take him over these X players?" seems kind of silly to me. I'm pretty sure Jared Terrell and E.C. Matthews have exhausted their college eligibility, after all. He's pretty much the one player on the roster with clear All-A10 potential right now, averaging about 16 PPG and 6 RPG in 32 MPG, with a PER of 20.3, and it's not like he's compiling these stats in garbage time of 20-plus point blowouts. It's not his fault that the talent around him hasn't been better.
The point I am trying to make is not about who is better than who, but where we stand as a program right now talent-wise compared to NCAA type teams. We will get there but Arch will need some time (2-3 more years) to pull it together.
sorry ,if it takes 3 years, he is not doing his job. Transfer portal makes everything different, teams can become conference competitive in a single year. Certainly to be able to fill the most glaring needs.

I give Archie (so generous of me) a pass since he had a limited roster, took over late in the recruiting season and was out of basketball for a year. However, if he does not make progress for next year via his recruits and transfer portal, I will be scratching my head on whether Archie can still do it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I dont want to become Doombone again lol. That means this team needs to make major steps next season toward being relevant again. I expect they will. That doesn't mean we will dance next year though. Be over .500 and top half of the A10 should be a reasonable expectation. Any less, and the honeymoon will be over.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I just think the NIL makes it harder to get high quality recruits to come here now. It's all about getting the 2 and 3 star players and developing them. We may get former high quality recruits in the portal looking to transfer down for playing time, but I don't see us getting any 4 stars like Jared and EC out of high school anymore. I hate NIL, good for the kids who can take advantage of it, but not great for most mids and low mids.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie will have to find the "diamond in the rough" types. Player development will be everything. Billy boy is right, landing top 100 recruits will be very difficult. The amount of NIL money we can offer pales in comparison to the P5 and even the BE schools. We aren't UConn, who can make up huge budget deficits with school money and many deep pocketed boosters.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The other major issue we will face in the future, is when we get recruits who become stars, will they transfer when the big boys start waving money at them? The A10 will never be on a level playing field. Just a fact.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It would be very interesting to know what the NIL amounts are being paid to the other A-10 schools.

Any way to find out? Not sure we know if we can or cannot be competitive. Likewise what are the NIL deals for PC and UConn.?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I just think the NIL makes it harder to get high quality recruits to come here now. It's all about getting the 2 and 3 star players and developing them. We may get former high quality recruits in the portal looking to transfer down for playing time, but I don't see us getting any 4 stars like Jared and EC out of high school anymore. I hate NIL, good for the kids who can take advantage of it, but not great for most mids and low mids.
I’m very comfortable with 3 star recruits. Eg Hassan. , Dowtin, Fatts, Garrett, Cyril,
If most of our recruits are 3* We will b happy.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I just think the NIL makes it harder to get high quality recruits to come here now. It's all about getting the 2 and 3 star players and developing them. We may get former high quality recruits in the portal looking to transfer down for playing time, but I don't see us getting any 4 stars like Jared and EC out of high school anymore. I hate NIL, good for the kids who can take advantage of it, but not great for most mids and low mids.
I’m very comfortable with 3 star recruits. Eg Hassan. , Dowtin, Fatts, Garrett, Cyril,
If most of our recruits are 3* We will b happy.
Yes, but do we dance in the Hurley years without Jared and EC?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago
sorry ,if it takes 3 years, he is not doing his job. Transfer portal makes everything different, teams can become conference competitive in a single year. Certainly to be able to fill the most glaring needs.

I give Archie (so generous of me) a pass since he had a limited roster, took over late in the recruiting season and was out of basketball for a year. However, if he does not make progress for next year via his recruits and transfer portal, I will be scratching my head on whether Archie can still do it.
I think getting to the NCAAT in his 4th year is fair and he is doing his job, as long as we see improvement every season.
As the P6 conferences expand along with more In-conference games there will be less and less opportunities for at-large bids for the mid-majors.

The portal can work against us just as fast as it can help us.
The last couple of years the losses in the transfer portal outweighed the gains in the A10.

Also as pointed out in the previous posts the NIL will make it tougher for non-P6 schools to compete for the higher ranked recruits.
With all that said, I still have a lot of faith in Archie and this staff to build a very competitive roster.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
As I said earlier, I am taking it easy on Archie this season, considering the situation he came into.
Next season is a different story, we need to be able to see much improvement in our player's performances and some needed additions.
The current contributing players with significant upside potential are Weston and Stewart. Lou and Bilau have hardly played. I'll view Bilau, Lou, Stewart and Foumena as new players next year. We may be good by 24-25, bit I don't see us getting to the NCAAT until 25-26, Archie's fourth year. I don't see much improvement for Carey and Freeman. Ish will be carrying a huge load. Bassy will be a better shooter. I don't know what to expect from Samb and Alex. The quality of new recruits and transfers will be critical for success in the short term. Our top recruiter is somewhat limited.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
I think EC was not much of a contributor to DH's NCAAT teams.
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
You have to be joking?? Pretty much anything you say going forward can’t be taken serious!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bahahahahahahhahaha

Bahahahahahahahha

You are truly one of a kind, in the absolute worst way possible.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, he only had 900 points and 267 rebounds in those 2 seasons. :roll:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
You have to be joking?? Pretty much anything you say going forward can’t be taken serious!
I think we passed that point a while ago.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

72 has outdone himself. Didnt think it was possible, but he did it!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FOOL

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
FOOL

was there for that.....my that was fun....
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Holy smokes…many didn’t think it could be done; how could you say something dumber than to offer shooting tips to the greatest shooter in school history. But folks we may have a new entry in the 72 hall of fame.

Tell me you didn’t watch the 2016-17 A10 tourney without telling me.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ECs three from top of the key vs Oklahoma was historic.
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

:lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago ECs three from top of the key vs Oklahoma was historic.

Watching that video gives me goosebumps

Can’t wait until we get back to those days

(Which I guess is this march ?.. LOL)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago ECs three from top of the key vs Oklahoma was historic.

Watching that video gives me goosebumps

Can’t wait until we get back to those days

(Which I guess is this march ?.. LOL)
Buckle Up!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ugh.. You were on a heck of a run and I think you had a few people convinced that you weren't a troll. You blew it though. This comment is wayyyyyyyyy too obvious.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Ugh.. You were on a heck of a run and I think you had a few people convinced that you weren't a troll. You blew it though. This comment is wayyyyyyyyy too obvious.
I was still reeling from the Stewart with significant upside potential comment when I read the EC comment. Turns out the first comment was simply the setup jab for the second knockout comment.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah EC was always just parked on the bench drinking coffee milk and staring at the cheerleaders!

What a disappointment he was!

You woulda thought a recruit of his caliber would end up being the third leading the scorer in the history of the program or something!

Nope! Just a big ol goose egg. Just like his number..
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on 72 !! You cannot be serious with that comment !!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Tell me you’ve never watched a Rhody game without telling me you’ve never watched a Rhody game…
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

R72 is an expert in trolling - the GOAT. They know just how to rile everyone up to drive engagement on this board. It's actually quite impressive.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago R72 is an expert in trolling - the GOAT. They know just how to rile everyone up to drive engagement on this board. It's actually quite impressive.
It’s very funny
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My recollection remains that EC was not a better player after blowing out his knee in 15-16. Overall, his statistics for his 4th and 5th years (16-17 and 17-18) were slightly lower than his sophomore year. He never achieved the greatness that most of us projected for him. I was off in implying that he was not a significant contributor on DH's NCAAT teams.
Last edited by Rhody72 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My recollection remains that EC was never the player he was before blowing out his knee.
He averaged 17 and 5 during our conference tourney/NCAA run in our first bid.

He averaged 19 and 6 in the NCAA tournament the next year.

Just like you saying Bassy is a walk-on. You're not a real fan. You're a troll. Any real fan of this team knows what type of impact EC made.

I truly don't understand why you waste so much time doing this. I understand it may be fun at times, but you've been doing it for years.. I'm sure this isn't the only place you troll. I find some of it funny but the more I think about it It's embarrassing and It's sad.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My recollection remains that EC was not a better player after blowing out his knee in 15-16. Overall, his statistics for his 4th and 5th years (16-17 and 17-18) were slightly lower than his sophomore year. He never achieved the greatness that most of us projected for him. I was off in implying that he was not a significant contributor on DH's NCAAT teams.
Yes that’s correct. He was not the same player after the injury.

However, you saying he didn’t play a big part in the two NCAA teams is just ridiculous.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My recollection remains that EC was not a better player after blowing out his knee in 15-16. Overall, his statistics for his 4th and 5th years (16-17 and 17-18) were slightly lower than his sophomore year. He never achieved the greatness that most of us projected for him. I was off in implying that he was not a significant contributor on DH's NCAAT teams.
Take a look at the film after they lost to Duke and how emotional Hurley and him were realizing it was his last game. He meant so much to them turning the program around. Nothing but great memories on EC
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

. And the next play !!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Take a look at the film after they lost to Duke and how emotional Hurley and him were realizing it was his last game. He meant so much to them turning the program around. Nothing but great memories on EC
Yup he was DH first big recruit , nothing but positives to say about EC
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Archie is now tied with Hurley's conference win total at 3 in 2012-2013.
We also beat Dayton that season, but that weren't predicted to finish as high then.

I still don't expect as much of a roster turnover as many others do on this board.

If we can keep some of the talent and youth together, this group may be able to finish in the top tier of the conference sooner than later.

I still have to remind myself how young and raw our bigs are.
Bilau was just starting to break-out before he got injured again.
Alex had only played in 3 games prior to this season.
Foumena has great size and we did some glimpses of his potential.
Both Rory and Samb are in their 1st-year, and it does take bigs longer to develop.

However, not sure all these players will be here next season.

Weston can turn out to be a very serviceable wing in the A10.
The jury is still out on Hutch.

My biggest hope is that Ish finishes his eligibility here.
Him and Bray can combine to be one of the top guard duos in the conference.
I am not as down on Bassy as some here are, I think he is a very serviceable PG off the bench.

I have confidence in this staff to adequately fill in any pieces that are needed to build a winning roster.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree with your post, Jersey. And, I also have confidence in the staff.

Furthermore, we could certainly gravitate to the upper third of the conference sooner if the conference continues to suck. So, there is that to potentially help our chances as well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I agree with your post, Jersey. And, I also have confidence in the staff.

Furthermore, we could certainly gravitate to the upper third of the conference sooner if the conference continues to suck. So, there is that to potentially help our chances as well.
I also think if Bilau not had the injury issues, our season wouldn't look quite as bad.
With Foumena redshirting we really don't have a true center or dominant player in the paint.
Both Alex and Samb are playing out of position.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I have to admit that Ish is playing much better than I evet expected. Much better (then again....wdik)
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit that Ish is playing much better than I evet expected. Much better (then again....wdik)
You aren't alone NYG, not many would have expected him to have this type of a season.
He did show potential and flashes as a freshman, but last year was disappointing.
Sure glad that Archie was able to keep him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I agree with your post, Jersey. And, I also have confidence in the staff.

I also think if Bilau not had the injury issues, our season wouldn't look quite as bad.
With Foumena redshirting we really don't have a true center or dominant player in the paint.
The only center listed on the roster is Foumena
Forwards are:
Samb
Bilau
Tchikou
Stewart

So wouldn’t Bilau be playing “out of position” too?
How do you know Miller wants to play a traditional Center?
Or does he prefer 4 guards and a Forward? Or 3 guards and 2 forwards?
If Bilau’s injury is to blame for Samb and Tchikou playing out of position wasn’t Bilau playing out of position too?
Miller only recruited 1 center (on paper) but do we know if Miller even wants another center on the roster to prevent Bilau, Samb, Tchikou and Stewart from playing out of position when Foumena is not on the floor next year?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit that Ish is playing much better than I evet expected. Much better (then again....wdik)
You aren't alone NYG, not many would have expected him to have this type of a season.
He did show potential and flashes as a freshman, but last year was disappointing.
Sure glad that Archie was able to keep him.
Yeah Ish has been great this season he’s really improved leaps and bounds over last year’s performance
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If Samb and Tchikou can't play the 5, then they probably can't play, period. Tchikou is a slightly better defender, so maybe he can hide at the 4 for a bit, but I don't think either is a 4 in the modern game. FWIW, I think they're 5s, but they need to bulk up and improve their rebounding. Neither one is really much of a shot blocker or deterrent from guys going at the rim. Tchikou's rebound rate has ticked up slightly lately, but you'd think a guy listed at 6'11" and 225 would be better at it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

The only center listed on the roster is Foumena
Forwards are:
Samb
Bilau
Tchikou
Stewart

So wouldn’t Bilau be playing “out of position” too?
How do you know Miller wants to play a traditional Center?
Or does he prefer 4 guards and a Forward? Or 3 guards and 2 forwards?
If Bilau’s injury is to blame for Samb and Tchikou playing out of position wasn’t Bilau playing out of position too?
Miller only recruited 1 center (on paper) but do we know if Miller even wants another center on the roster to prevent Bilau, Samb, Tchikou and Stewart from playing out of position when Foumena is not on the floor next year?
Martin is also listed as a guard, so I don't really go by that.

Bilau's body and strength is much more of a force in the paint than either Alex or Samb.
Alex even by his own admission has previously played more like a guard or wing.
Samb also admitted to enjoy playing more on the outside and he is built that way.
I really don't consider either to be rim protectors like Bilau who has that frame.

And yeah not sure if Archie prefers this type of play or just currently by necessity.
I always felt when Samb committed here, he would be playing a forward position rather than his back to the basket.
I think he could compliment a player like Bilau or Foumena.
Will be curious to see how Archie uses his bigs next season when he has more flexibility and options.