2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: 2022-23 Men's Games of Interest

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed 15. I also expect Smith will be back in the starting lineup when healthy.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Dayton favored by 7.5 points hosting VCU
Dayton doesn't have a true PG - play the biggest lineup in America but start 6'6" Mongolian freshmen at the point. His natural position is prob more the 3. Interesting to see how that collides with VCU's defense and their ability to create turnovers. Only way VCU can hang with UD is if they force a ton of turnovers - no one in conference can stop Holmes and UD is big at all 5 positions and should have their way on the glass.
I’d say Malachi Smith is a true PG and will be back starting when he’s healthy.
Is he playing tonight? No. It was obvious my comments were about the game tonight…against VCU…where they won’t start a true PG. Because Mali Smith is hurt. But ya just had to say something.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton doesn't have a true PG - play the biggest lineup in America but start 6'6" Mongolian freshmen at the point. His natural position is prob more the 3. Interesting to see how that collides with VCU's defense and their ability to create turnovers. Only way VCU can hang with UD is if they force a ton of turnovers - no one in conference can stop Holmes and UD is big at all 5 positions and should have their way on the glass.
Is he playing tonight? No. It was obvious my comments were about the game tonight…against VCU…where they won’t start a true PG. Because Mali Smith is hurt. But ya just had to say something.
Smith and Kobe Ellis are both out again tonight. Here is the Dayton Board look to Smith and Ellis status. You can discern that Dayton fans are very happy with the current win streak, happy with the current starting lineup and most think that Smith and Ellis need to earn back playing time. Some say it would not be fair to the guys who haver the team playing so well now to lose starting role. Anthony Grant has to manage this - but he had the Flyers rolling now. Personally I think Dayton handily beats VCU tonight and continues to show their superiority in the A10.

https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthre ... 253&page=2
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Smith and Kobe Ellis are both out again tonight. Here is the Dayton Board look to Smith and Ellis status. You can discern that Dayton fans are very happy with the current win streak, happy with the current starting lineup and most think that Smith and Ellis need to earn back playing time. Some say it would not be fair to the guys who haver the team playing so well now to lose starting role. Anthony Grant has to manage this - but he had the Flyers rolling now. Personally I think Dayton handily beats VCU tonight and continues to show their superiority in the A10.

Every time I go to a different teams board I realize how much better and user friendly our board is compared to others.

It isn’t even close.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton 24-12 early can’t stand VCU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Every time I go to a different teams board I realize how much better and user friendly our board is compared to others.

It isn’t even close.
I find the Dayton board easy to navigate. Like how they separate out the game threads. Very Easy to go back and find games previously played.

Some typical views of the current line up and the injured Smith and Ellis….

Originally Posted by TommyGola:
I am not sure I would disrupt the current chemistry and success of the team when Mali and Kobe return. Their injuries have forced the Flyers to slow down their game and get the ball inside to Camara or Holmes...precisely where they have a competitive advantage over most of their rivals. The Flyers' game was far too perimeter-oriented before. Mike has been adequate at the point and Brea is getting more comfortable every game there, and frankly, playing the point better than either of the two injured guards.

Originally Posted by CT Flyer:
So what should AG do with Mali and Elvis, let them ride the pine?
Start slow, letting them earn their way back into the rotation: absolutely off the bench.

I'm not punishing kids that have played their butts off going above and beyond their normal roles to get to where we are over it. If I were Mali or Kobe and I was paying attention on the sidelines, I'd respect that decision from their standpoint, too.

We're winning now. You want to get back in and contribute, YOU have to find your way back in to what is a working formula.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

VCU hanging tough down 7 with 4 minutes left after trailing by as much as 16 late in the first half.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago VCU hanging tough down 7 with 4 minutes left after trailing by as much as 16 late in the first half.
Really good game!

Surprised at how VCU has stayed in it

Have to break it to the Flyer board, but they need their guards.

They're doing surprisingly well without them, but they have some significant weak spots without any true guards on the floor.

Like if they play Saint Louis without Smith or Ellis Yuri Collins will kill them.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

And Dayton keeps turning the ball over in crunch time because no one can handle the ball...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton biggest lead 16 VCU biggest lead 2

Dayton chokes this game away
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shocker.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn u Anthony Grant and the Dayton Flyers
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Epic giveaway by Dayton
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Dayton really has a big problem handling the ball right now. They need Smith back.

That said, the conference is weak and they should win it anyway.

Impressed with how VCU played. That is a huge road win for them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why can’t VCU win the conference? I’d almost never count Czech out any year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Playing VCU without a PG is always a risky proposition.
That was asking a lot for a FR playing out of position to handle that late game pressure. Two costly turnovers by Mongolian Mike crushed them. They need Smith or Elvis back.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great A10 Game on Friday Night.
A10 scheduling picked the right two teams
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I only got to see the second half but it was a great game for sure. It did not necessarily make me look forward to our games with either team. At least we get them both at home.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Why can’t VCU win the conference? I’d almost never count Czech out any year.
In my opinion, I think Dayton will be a better team once healthy (with Smith and Elvis back) and so, I believe they will win the conf regular season. I also give them the edge to win the conf tourney but anything can happen in a tourney. VCU could pull another upset or maybe SLU wakes up and peaks at the right time.

My opinion, Ramster. Different strokes for different folks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Why can’t VCU win the conference? I’d almost never count Czech out any year.
In my opinion, I think Dayton will be a better team once healthy (with Smith and Elvis back) and so, I believe they will win the conf regular season. I also give them the edge to win the conf tourney but anything can happen in a tourney. VCU could pull another upset or maybe SLU wakes up and peaks at the right time.

It’s a big win for VCU because it was at Dayton. The Top group in the A10 gets to play the other Top teams twice (unlike URI that is in the lower group because of where URI finished last year). So Dayton plays AT VCU in February. If VCU wins that then they get 2-0 wins plus they get the tie-breaker if they end up tied for 1st with Dayton.

8D4EADBC-3E79-468F-8F89-6F2C326B7252.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

What is harder to believe is that VCU won with Ace only scoring 6 pts, Nunn 4 pts, and Watkins just 3 pts.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can’t believe Dayton lost.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago What is harder to believe is that VCU won with Ace only scoring 6 pts, Nunn 4 pts, and Watkins just 3 pts.
David Shriver, the transfer from Hartford, came up huge hitting 6-8 3-Pointers
Camara just missed a triple-double for Dayton with 27 points, 11 rebounds and 9 turnovers :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago What is harder to believe is that VCU won with Ace only scoring 6 pts, Nunn 4 pts, and Watkins just 3 pts.
Camara just missed a triple-double for Dayton with 27 points, 11 rebounds and 9 turnovers :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yes Ramster, Shriver was a nice pick-up for them and filled a needed role.
Playing his final year of eligibility now.
Last season he led the AEC in made 3-pointers and averaged 41% from deep.
Something every team can use in today's game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Yes Ramster, Shriver was a nice pick-up for them and filled a needed role.
Playing his final year of eligibility now.
Last season he led the AEC in made 3-pointers and averaged 41% from deep.
Something every team can use in today's game.
On 3 Pointers for VCU:
Nunn 0-1, Baldwin 0-2, Watkins 0-3, Johns 0-1 = 0-7
Shriver 6-8

Shriver was the only VCU Ram to hit a 3P and he hit 6-8 for 18 points
Interestingly, Shriver also hit 6-8 against Davidson for 18 points 2 games ago
Shriver is now 17-27 on 3 pointers in A10 Play to lead the Conference at 63%

Last 3 games Shriver is Dayton 6-8, Loyola 3-3 and Davidson 6-8 for 15-19!!!!

Shriver being 6'6" helps him get his 3P shot off against a team the size of Dayton with the shortest starter 6'6"

Looking back at Shriver and his 3P Shooting Percentages:
Alderson Broadus University D2 for 3 years in Philippi West Virginia. Philippi is also Shriver's hometown
1st Year - Alderson Broadus 40.8%
2nd Year - Alderson Broadus 38.9%
3rd year - Alderson Broadus 42.6%
4th Year - Hartford 41.0%
5th year - VCU 39.5%
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I mean yea, pretty obvious they’ll be better when they get two starters back.

I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton lost 4 of their 1st 7 games with 2 of their wins being Lindenwood and Robert Morris. Dayton fans were not happy at all
Since going to the 5 forward lineup starting game 8 Dayton has been playing very well except for the Virginia Tech game

Elvis played the first 7 games and Smith Played the first 4 games - neither has played since. So it's not like Dayton was killing it when Smith and Elvis were in the starting line up.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dayton lost 4 of their 1st 7 games with 2 of their wins being Lindenwood and Robert Morris. Dayton fans were not happy at all
Since going to the 5 forward lineup starting game 8 Dayton has been playing very well except for the Virginia Tech game

Elvis played the first 7 games and Smith Played the first 4 games - neither has played since. So it's not like Dayton was killing it when Smith and Elvis were in the starting line up.
Remember Dayton started out slow last season losing 3 of their first 4 games.

This season some of their toughest competition was in their first 7 games: UNLV, Wisc, NC-State, BYU.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

UD is still the class of the league talent wise. Any team forced to play a true FR small forward at PG is going to be susceptible to certain matchups. Such as VCU. They are fallible without Smith or Elvis but once 1 of them comes back they immediately become a clear cut #1 team IMO. They have the best player in the league - Holmes. And a lot of other talent all 6’6” or taller.

That said they have zero shot at an at large which is just a sad reality for the league.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s a big win for VCU because it was at Dayton. The Top group in the A10 gets to play the other Top teams twice (unlike URI that is in the lower group because of where URI finished last year). So Dayton plays AT VCU in February. If VCU wins that then they get 2-0 wins plus they get the tie-breaker if they end up tied for 1st with Dayton.

8D4EADBC-3E79-468F-8F89-6F2C326B7252.jpeg
Good for them. Doesn’t mean they won’t slip up or go into a 3-5 game funk. Long way to go and my opinion is unchanged.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loyola Chicago losing 82-49 @ Joes wow
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky beats #5 ranked Tennessee. Wildcats needed that one.

George Mason beats Davidson in a nail biter.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Loyola Chicago losing 82-49 @ Joes wow
Reef,
St Joseph’s was favored by 1.5 playing at home. They won by 31!
Say it ain’t so Loyola
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rough A10 start for Loyola.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Rough A10 start for Loyola.
I thought they were going to be better than this, but man, they've been brutal. By Sports Reference, they only returned 35 percent of their minutes and 34 percent of their scoring from last year, so hopefully this is just a rebuilding year.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I thought they were going to be better than this, but man, they've been brutal. By Sports Reference, they only returned 35 percent of their minutes and 34 percent of their scoring from last year, so hopefully this is just a rebuilding year.
Yeah I was dead wrong about them wow are they non competitive

Friars down 41-29 halftime @ Creighton
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

TCU is whooping up on K State right now by 18 with 14 minutes left. TCU lost a 18 point first half lead last game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Both twins started today for the hogs @ Vandy
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
And they also somehow beat 14-3 tournament bound Clemson...this season has made absolutely no sense.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Both twins started today for the hogs @ Vandy
I had kind of forgotten about them, but both seem to be doing OK there. No drastic change in Makhel's game, but shockingly, Makhi's turnovers per 40-minute rate is half of what it was at URI. His PER is 23.8 this year. They've truly had a bizarre path of player development.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Better coaching and 2 kids who realize this has to be their last stop. I guarantee Makhi isn’t taking threes or handling the ball in the open court or on the perimeter.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Creighton downs PC 73-67.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pigs are failing will be out of top 25 soon we knew the Twins to Arkansas wouldn’t work
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton STL VCU all 4-1 the cream rising to the top in the A10
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Pigs are failing will be out of top 25 soon we knew the Twins to Arkansas wouldn’t work
Hard to say it hasn’t worked.

Makhi has started every single game.

Ranked all season and as high as 9th.

Their best freshman and potential Top 5 pick has only played five games due to injury.

I don’t know how anyone can say it hasn’t worked.
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Arkansas has yet to win a true road game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Arkansas has yet to win a true road game.
If people are trying to low key blame the twins for this and or them already having 5 losses, stop it.

Maybe it has something to do with Trevon Brazile out for the year averaging 12 and 6, along with the literal number 1 ranked recruit in America injured and only playing five games thus far.

I was in the camp that the twins would not buy in and/or either quit or get dismissed. Obviously that has not been the case.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Makhel hasn’t done much only with recent rash of injuries has he moved into the lineup. Makhi has had a nice season as a role piece around other talent. He’s been solid not spectacular but none of their recent losses are pinned on either of them. As 15 mentions they have been hit by injury to key stars.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Makhel hasn’t done much only with recent rash of injuries has he moved into the lineup. Makhi has had a nice season as a role piece around other talent. He’s been solid not spectacular but none of their recent losses are pinned on either of them. As 15 mentions they have been hit by injury to key stars.
I read that Smith may not play again this year to protect his draft status. Another example of the new world of college basketball: don’t need to play to be a high draft pick if you showed something in the prep ranks/AAU circuit. It seems to me that the Mitchells have neither helped nor hurt the team: two JAGS.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Makhel hasn’t done much only with recent rash of injuries has he moved into the lineup. Makhi has had a nice season as a role piece around other talent. He’s been solid not spectacular but none of their recent losses are pinned on either of them. As 15 mentions they have been hit by injury to key stars.
I read that Smith may not play again this year to protect his draft status. Another example of the new world of college basketball: don’t need to play to be a high draft pick if you showed something in the prep ranks/AAU circuit. It seems to me that the Mitchells have neither helped nor hurt the team: two JAGS.
Eh I mean Makhi has started every game, averaging 8 & 6, second in rebounds per game, shooting 64% with 1.4 blocks a game.

I’d say he’s helping them.
Go Rhody