1/14 | UMass | 4:30PM (NESN+/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/14 | UMass | 4:30PM (NESN+/ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Many of the top young players are followed closely by these programs very early on and the services take notice.

Elijah Wood who we recruited was originally a 4* and interest in him started to fade along with his rankings.

Ramster I am sure all these recruiting sights have many criteria they use in evaluating players.
Elijah Wood. I saw personally play several times. Perfect example. 4 posters here I know of saw Wood play multiple times. All 4 of us said he was overrated. URI to Nebraska to Eastern Illinois and now at Colby Community College (lost 20 straight games now). When I saw Wood I said wtf is this URI staff seeing that I and others are not. But a staff (and maybe HC too) can hold off the wolves (knowing their job is in trouble and/or their recruiting jar is empty) by saying “I signed a 4-star. He will be great.” He was never a 4 star, trust me. 2 star at most.
Wood absolutely didn't deserve the early rating.
I think the only reason he initially got 4* was because he was getting early interest/offers from quite a few decent P5 schools (Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, TT, Texas A&M, TCU, K-State).
https://247sports.com/player/46041472/
Bunch of schools ended up backing away from him.
Actually 247 ended up dropping his ranking to around 400.
Which was still too high
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago When I see the FT% improvement with Bassy, I think we may see a big improvement in FG% in future years. I hope he doesn't transfer and continues to improve his shooting. He has pretty good form.
We don’t have the luxury of future years, his position/role is in need of a major upgrade for next season. He needs to think about NEC, MAAC level programs. The improvements needed from him are just not there at the level needed. No?
Bassey could become a better shooter by next year. I see shooting as his major shortcoming as a D1 player at the A10 level. He could easily become a 35%-40% trey shooter next year. His problem may be as simple as learning to exhale when shooting treys. If you are missing long/short this is oftentimes the problem. He needs to consistently use good technique and practice enough to embed this technique into his muscle memory. Girls are typically better shooters than boys because they were taught how to shoot rather learning by trial and error. Overcoming bad technique takes repetition.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
If the team is ever going to get to where they want Bassy will not be a factor or won’t be on this roster. We need more players such as Leggett or guys that can shoot. Bassy is a low end D 1 player or probably a level below
The college basketball careers of Bassy AND Ish will be over by the time the program gets to where we want. Both are just helping us get there.
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago When I see the FT% improvement with Bassy, I think we may see a big improvement in FG% in future years. I hope he doesn't transfer and continues to improve his shooting. He has pretty good form.
We don’t have the luxury of future years, his position/role is in need of a major upgrade for next season. He needs to think about NEC, MAAC level programs. The improvements needed from him are just not there at the level needed. No?
Bassey could become a better shooter by next year. I see shooting as his major shortcoming as a D1 player at the A10 level. He could easily become a 35%-40% trey shooter next year. His problem may be as simple as learning to exhale when shooting treys. If you are missing long/short this is oftentimes the problem. He needs to consistently use good technique and practice enough to embed this technique into his muscle memory. Girls are typically better shooters than boys because they were taught how to shoot rather learning by trial and error. Overcoming bad technique takes repetition.
Exhale when shooting, girls are better than boys at shooting…some vintage material here
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think we should stop counting Bassey out - he is good enough to be a backup point guard, if he improves his shooting he will be a starter. No reason for him to transfer down now. Work all summer on your shot see what happens next year. We don’t have the luxury of tossing aside guys who do most things well.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If the team is ever going to get to where they want Bassy will not be a factor or won’t be on this roster. We need more players such as Leggett or guys that can shoot. Bassy is a low end D 1 player or probably a level below
The college basketball careers of Bassy AND Ish will be over by the time the program gets to where we want. Both are just helping us get there.
Since they both have 2 years left, I sure hope that isn’t the case. Their senior years I expect to be tournament bound. Surrounded by guys who can shoot, Bassey and Ish would be really good.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Exhale when shooting, girls are better than boys at shooting…some vintage material here
Has to be a bit. Nobody is that lacking in self awareness.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahahahhaa those last two sentences hahahahahahahah

Hahahhahahahahah
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is absolutely incredible.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Ish is someone that we can win with if there was better talent around him. Bassy is not someone that would ever be a contributor on a team that was successful and winning. We have so many players that just don’t belong on the team like Rory, Alex and Bassy.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
I think we should stop counting Bassey out - he is good enough to be a backup point guard, if he improves his shooting he will be a starter. No reason for him to transfer down now. Work all summer on your shot see what happens next year. We don’t have the luxury of tossing aside guys who do most things well.
He's currently not good enough to be a backup point guard on a good team. He's fine as third string, as a guy who can dribble the ball and initiate an offense, vs. like, I don't know, making Jalen Carey play the point, or "losing" Ish's offense as a wing by forcing him to play the point instead. He's shooting 39 percent from 2, 16.2 percent from 3, and 67 percent from the line. The most important thing on offense is being able to score, and if you can't do that, then you have to be filling up the stat sheet like Rajon Rondo or Draymond Green to still be a net asset. It's great that he's a hard worker and seemingly coachable, but he would need to make a drastic improvement to his shooting to be viable back-up, never mind a starter.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I think Archie really likes bassey. There’s a reason he’s always on the court at the end of the games and I don’t think it’s simply just to keep bray off the floor as a learning point. I couldn’t tell you what the reason is but Archie has to have one with the amount of times we have seen it.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Good teams can always use a PG who can control the ball, pass and play solid defense. Last year Bassy shot FTs at a paltry 36.7%. A year later he is shooting FTs at 67.7%. He has shown a work ethic that tells me he can become a decent shooter of FGs.

As for Rory, he is a true freshman. If he has a good work ethic, let's see how far he develops by next year.

I'm not as hopeful for Alex because he has been playing college basketball for awhile.

I'm in total agreement that we need more talented players to make an NCAAT run.

Many on this Board were ready to discard Ish after last season when he couldn't make a shot.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think UMess will pound the ball inside early as they have a distinct advantage over us in the front court. We will battle but wear down up front and our guards will not be able to do enough to offset the disadvantage.

We will stay in striking range in the first half but end up losing by about 10, IMO. UMess is just a bad matchup for us at this time with our current front court make up and depth.

But, it’s basketball. Maybe we rise to the occasion, shoot the lights out, UMess has a bad game and we pull off the upset - like LaSalle did the other night. Not likely but not impossible.

Go Rhody!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hope we wear the Keaney Blues!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

He's currently not good enough to be a backup point guard on a good team. He's fine as third string, as a guy who can dribble the ball and initiate an offense, vs. like, I don't know, making Jalen Carey play the point, or "losing" Ish's offense as a wing by forcing him to play the point instead. He's shooting 39 percent from 2, 16.2 percent from 3, and 67 percent from the line. The most important thing on offense is being able to score, and if you can't do that, then you have to be filling up the stat sheet like Rajon Rondo or Draymond Green to still be a net asset. It's great that he's a hard worker and seemingly coachable, but he would need to make a drastic improvement to his shooting to be viable back-up, never mind a starter.
All true, but you don't mention anything except offense regarding Thomas. 2 games ago when Archie put Thomas, Weston and Stewart just 2+ minutes into the 2nd half Archie was steamed. Archie played Thomas the rest of the 2nd half.

Looking at Archie's substitutions so far they are much different from David Cox. Cox played the same guys the same amount of minute distribution most every game.

Archie has really focused on turnover reduction. If Carey, Freeman or Weston had a turnover they quickly came out. Carey has greatly reduced his turnovers.
Archie has also pulled players related to defensive lapses. He has fulled Freeman most frequently for defensive reasons, noticed it with Samb too
Archie also has pulled guys for forced, bad shots including forced or untimely 3 point attempts. Have seen Archie shake his head with some of Carey and Freeman 3 point shots. Seems that Archie knows what he wants and he will get it whereas Cox just let things go. It's different to see guys pulled out, but refreshing to see after the past 4 years.

Thomas was 8-16 FT his 1st 4 games of the season. Since then he is 13-15 FT. 67% is not great for a guard. Maybe we are seeing some of results from Archie and the Coaching Staff working with Thomas to improve his FT shooting?

Better, more consistent play by Freeman is the secret to Freeman getting more minutes and Thomas less.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago I think Archie really likes bassey. There’s a reason he’s always on the court at the end of the games and I don’t think it’s simply just to keep bray off the floor as a learning point. I couldn’t tell you what the reason is but Archie has to have one with the amount of times we have seen it.
Defense is being stressed by Miller. He pulls Freeman often as a result of defensive lapses.

Archie likes Thomas, that is apparent. Thomas plays tough defense, rebounds aggressively and leads the team in assist/turnover ratio.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago I think Archie really likes bassey. There’s a reason he’s always on the court at the end of the games and I don’t think it’s simply just to keep bray off the floor as a learning point. I couldn’t tell you what the reason is but Archie has to have one with the amount of times we have seen it.
Defense is being stressed by Miller. He pulls Freeman often as a result of defensive lapses.

Archie likes Thomas, that is apparent. Thomas plays tough defense, rebounds aggressively and leads the team in assist/turnover ratio.
Thomas’ defense costs us the La Salle game.

Fouls a 3 point shooter up 3, then gives up the game winning three in OT.

It’s not like Thomas is a Stan Robinson level defender.

Would rather Freeman on the court at both ends during crunch time.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

So why do YOU think Archie is playing Thomas as much as he is? What is Archie seeing that you are not?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I’d rather run with Bray at the end too - if it was up to me. Bassey is an okay defender but not a difference maker on D, IMO.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I’d rather run with Bray at the end too - if it was up to me. Bassey is an okay defender but not a difference maker on D, IMO.
Same question. You and R15 obviously disagree with what Miller is doing. Why do you think Archie is not doing what you would do with Thomas and Freeman? What is he thinking?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Same question. You and R15 obviously disagree with what Miller is doing. Why do you think Archie is not doing what you would do with Thomas and Freeman? What is he thinking?
My guess would be Archie doesn’t want Freeman taking bad shots down the stretch and knows Thomas won’t?

Freeman did take two horrific shots the last couple minutes of the Bonnie’s game.

That would be my only guess as to why Freeman sits late in the game.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

So why do YOU think Archie is playing Thomas as much as he is? What is Archie seeing that you are not?
Not speaking for 15, but happy to chime in. Imo, it is primarily two fold: he is coaching Bray harder because he knows he has more upside but tends to lapse on D; Archie is emphasizing D at this time.

There may additional, less urgent reasons for now that come into play depending on game flow, player mindset, player performance that particular game and situational awareness but I believe that will change as Bray improves - assuming he can handle the tough coaching.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My guess would be Archie doesn’t want Freeman taking bad shots down the stretch and knows Thomas won’t?

Freeman did take two horrific shots the last couple minutes of the Bonnie’s game.

That would be my only guess as to why Freeman sits a lot down the stretch.
So you disagree with what Miller is doing. You would play Freeman in those situations.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

You're savvy enough to know that Archie should have instructed his team to foul before the shot was taken, so I wouldn't put all the blame on Thomas. It's also not hard to assume that he may have been a little gun shy on the second one. I think under the circumstances a lot of other players probably would have done the same in both circumstances. On this board, there are a group of people who are constantly bashing him yet fail to give him props when he does something well. You happen to be one of them.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

So you disagree with what Miller is doing. You would play Freeman in those situations.
Why not. Differing opinions are not allowed? It has no reflection on his coaching ability or my confidence in his coaching ability because I do not have access to all the info Archie has. It is simply a much less informed opinion. Same as your opinion.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes and that is allowed lol

All of us here do not have to agree with everything Archie does.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why not. Differing opinions are not allowed? It has no reflection on his coaching ability because I do not have access to all the info Archie has. It is simply a much less informed opinion. Same as your opinion.
Of course you can disagree, just wondering what your reasons are.

2 games ago Archie in the post game clearly stated he was not happy with the effort of his team in the 1st half. He subbed Thomas in for Freeman early in the 2nd half. Miller sending a message.
I love the toughness Miller is demonstrating running this team. It’s a relief from the last 4 years. Miller has reduced Carey’s TOs and improved Carey’s shot selection by subbing Carey out.

It’s all about the A10 Tournament and getting the players to play his way.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Archie wants his offense run, especially during crunch time. Bray can be unpredictable at any time if this is what will happen. It is probably that simple.

Yes, Thomas made bad plays at the end of the LaSalle game, so , does that prove anything other than he made bad plays at the end of the LaSalle game. Believe it or not, I once saw Jeff Dowtin makes bad plays in a game 😂
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Tchilkou is like a Rob Williams on the Celtics, ---Tall, long, blocks shots, and can dunk like hell. Otherwise isn't a threat on offense. The difference is that Williams has the strength to rebound and defend the larger opponents in the paint. Tchikou needs to improve that, but his abilities are serviceable.
Rob Williams is in a different universe when it comes to understanding the game of basketball. He is a great passer and gets excellent position on defense the difference is not just strength. Alex still needs to learn the game. Hopefully he puts in the effort he has great size and looks coordinated.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Thomas' minutes - Who would our third string PG even be right now? Ish? Carey? A walk-on? I suspect Thomas is getting as many minutes as he is right now because Miller actually wants to coach Freeman. To do that, you need the ability to sit him and keep him on a normal rotation, vs. playing him 35+ MPG regardless of performance. Likewise, Thomas *can* bring the ball up and initiate the offense, which keeps the other players in their practiced roles.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

For anyone that watched last chance u season 2, about halfway through the season, the head coach said screw it. I'm going to play the guys that bust their asses and would run through a wall for their teammates. He ended up sitting a few of the most talented players on the team for a few games to send a message. That's precisely what I think Archie is doing with Bray. Bray needs to become a more controlled and intelligent player if he's going to take that next step. Archie is doing exactly what Cox should have done with Fatts.

I love Bassys heart, but he is a low-major guard, and if he is here next year, I think Cam Esteves will slowly take his minutes similar to what you're seeing with Weston right now.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

uMass hoops day on NESN+ women on now, URI MBB game vs uMass men next…

Nice job NESN!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Screw Frank Martin and his alopecia!

Rhody by 20
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fernandes and Luis out for Umass.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Fernandes and Luis out for Umass.
Sweet!

Now

Will Archie adjust his gameplan...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

That's big
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Internet works
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Adults on the call, nice
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I like our chances with Fernandes out.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

UMass wearing the retro's

Would've been perfect if we wore the keaney's
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Great start!

They look like dung without Fernandes
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

7-3. URI 1548

Not a bad start Bray 3 and JC nice drive

Bray out of control a bit
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago UMass wearing the retro's

Dunno - those navy’s look super nice on TV….
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

No reason why we can't be 3-1 in A10 after today.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Race to 10 hits again! +130
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Let’s get Malik out and Weston in
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Holy smokes do we get shots blocked.
Have to be in the top 20.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago UMass wearing the retro's

The cursive u looks great
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Memo to Malik--take the 5 foot jump shot and don't try for a lay-up. Way too many get blocked.

Nice start by Thomas.